The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Four GMs working on one RP seems like a bit of an excess

the x-men and marvel rpgs have been doing this for nearly two years, at times with an even bigger number. OTC RPGs with any less than three run the risk of GM clashes, and four allows for a good potential even split of opinions (like x-men/marvel have had)

so nah. not really. thx tho.

-Tyler

• Upvote 6

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

The wikis don't exactly state that Vvardenfell was ripped out of Morrowind and surrounded by a wall of flame either do they

Ah, touche.

While I highly doubt you read it, I updated Vvardenfell.pdf and changed that.

Four GMs working on one RP seems like a bit of an excess

the x-men and marvel rpgs have been doing this for nearly two years, at times with an even bigger number. OTC RPGs with any less than three run the risk of GM clashes, and four allows for a good potential even split of opinions (like x-men/marvel have had)

so nah. not really. thx tho.

-Tyler

Whatever you say. I'd still say you should either go for 3 or 5. Even numbers run the risk of having an even split, whereas having 3 or 5 GMs allows for a majority vote.

Edited by IcarusBen

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Majority votes don't matter if it leaves you with upwards of 30% of a GM staff that's unhappy. Two GMs arguing can tank a game. Four means that some sort of compromise is always necessary.

No offense, but I've been doing this for about five years, give or take. You've sat shotgun and screamed at Ghidora while he ran one RPG into the ground, so whatever you say, I still think I know what we're doing.

-Tyler

• Upvote 3

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

You do realize that Asylum's still going? We resolved those issues. And, BTW, I never "screamed" at Ghidora. That's hyperbole and you know it. I just-no... I'm not falling for that again. No.

I'll just leave you with this, something to think about;

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

~ Issac Asimov.

Actually, in judging whether or not to post that, I noticed something; if Tyler is an OTC judge already, how will voting work for his RP? Does that mean he only needs four votes whereas other RPs need 5? I'm just saying, seems a little cheaty.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

~ Issac Asimov.

Judges who submit RPGs tend to approve their own RPGs last, after the other four find no problems with them; before we had more than five active judges at a time, they would often abstain from approving their own games at all.

Which you would know if you hadn't stormed OTC like it was Omaha Beach, thinking you could muscle around the players into playing any TES game you waved in front of them.

-Tyler

• Upvote 6

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

~ Issac Asimov.

Judges who submit RPGs tend to approve their own RPGs last, after the other four find no problems with them; before we had more than five active judges at a time, they would often abstain from approving their own games at all.

Which you would know if you hadn't stormed OTC like it was Omaha Beach, thinking you could muscle around the players into playing any TES game you waved in front of them.

-Tyler

Wait, you've been doing RPs for five years?

Hey, guess what? So have I! Don't use the "I've been at this longer than you" card, it doesn't work here.

~ Issac Asimov.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_1XhROcD34

Sorry, Perplexed, but no, I will not say goodbye.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

It's a fact that I've been RPing on BZP for five years. You joined in November. Don't draw up a false equivalency between us.

These people are my friends, and they have been my friends since I was in middle school. Instead of learning your lesson after they all started blatantly disrespecting you in BRPG, you just switched subforums and proceeded to treat their opinions, desires, and experience like dog dirt until you got butthurt and scrammed. None of that reads like seasoned RPer to me, and it especially doesn't read like someone who's mature enough to be a GM.

You'd think all the open contempt you and Ghidora are treated with in Asylum would have tempered you a little bit, but as it turns out it hasn't, and all your continually passive-aggressive responses have done is prove to me that the four or five minutes I waste thinking about you each week are well-devoted to being annoyed by you.

Don't quote me again.

-Tyler

• Upvote 6

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

It's a fact that I've been RPing on BZP for five years. You joined in November. Don't draw up a false equivalency between us.

These people are my friends, and they have been my friends since I was in middle school. Instead of learning your lesson after they all started blatantly disrespecting you in BRPG, you just switched subforums and proceeded to treat their opinions, desires, and experience like dog dirt until you got butthurt and scrammed. None of that reads like seasoned RPer to me, and it especially doesn't read like someone who's mature enough to be a GM.

You'd think all the open contempt you and Ghidora are treated with in Asylum would have tempered you a little bit, but as it turns out it hasn't, and all your continually passive-aggressive responses have done is prove to me that the four or five minutes I waste thinking about you each week are well-devoted to being ###### annoyed by you.

Don't quote me again.

-Tyler

• Upvote 3

You'd think all the open contempt you and Ghidora are treated with in Asylum would have tempered you a little bit, but as it turns out it hasn't, and all your continually passive-aggressive responses have done is prove to me that the four or five minutes I waste thinking about you each week are well-devoted to being ###### annoyed by you.

Don't quote me again.

-Tyler

You know what? I will quote you. Open contempt?

Most of the open contempt I've received has been in THIS forum. The players of the Asylum RP have been incredibly supportive. The only reason I treat your opinions like dog dirt is because you've treated my opinions like dog dirt. Since I arrived in OTC, all you've done is treat me with so much disrespect it's not even funny. 

Oh, and I don't seem like someone who is a seasoned RP'er or a mature GM? Yes, because you've been the pinnacle of maturity. Did he ever tell you guys about "Ghost Buster?" Oh, that was golden. See, Tyler wanted to join the Asylum, so he wrote up this little gem;

Name: Ghost Buster

Element: Plasma

Patient or Staff: Patient

General or Solitary: General

Kanohi: Kualsi

Personality: Buster

Appearance: Tall, muscular, gloriously ###### handsome with a vacuum cleaner tattoo over his light blue heartlight in orange ink. 

Inventory: Compass that always points north, if you know what he means (no but really he has a compass)

-Tyler

So, no. Don't call me immature when your only character submission to my RP was this.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

The biggest problem comes from the few historical hiccups.

From what I can gather, after the Red Year and Argonian invasions, Hlaalu was stripped of it's power and replaced by House Sadras. From what I know, this happened just after the Argonian invasion, yet no mention of Sadras or Hlaalu's being stripped of power is in this RP.

Also, after Mournhold's destruction, Blacklight was named the capital of Morrowind. Just saying.

Firstly, it's not in any way stated that the event happened immediately after the Argonian invasion. I'll have you know that House Hlaalu was one of Morrowind's pre-eminent powers, and it is borderline impossible to remove a Great House from all its holdings overnight. It could not have happened without a war.

This war.

As for Blacklight being named capital, it's easily assumable that such an event could only be done after Redoran ultimately enforced its power over the country.

Regardless, I appreciate you attempting to keep us up to date with lore, but thanks, we'll manage and then some.

-Dovydas

What I don't understand is why I never received a reply to this post, Icarus.

It honestly worries me that it might've been missed, because a) I don't want any more confusion regarding the plot b) I'm still curious how you expected the Hlaalu, aka Morrowind's Cosa Nostra, to just get up and leave without a single shot fired the moment the Redoran dismiss them from the Council.

-Dovydas

Edited by Albannach

From what I can gather, after the Red Year and Argonian invasions, Hlaalu was stripped of it's power and replaced by House Sadras. From what I know, this happened just after the Argonian invasion, yet no mention of Sadras or Hlaalu's being stripped of power is in this RP.

Also, after Mournhold's destruction, Blacklight was named the capital of Morrowind. Just saying.

Firstly, it's not in any way stated that the event happened immediately after the Argonian invasion. I'll have you know that House Hlaalu was one of Morrowind's pre-eminent powers, and it is borderline impossible to remove a Great House from all its holdings overnight. It could not have happened without a war.

This war.

As for Blacklight being named capital, it's easily assumable that such an event could only be done after Redoran ultimately enforced its power over the country.

Regardless, I appreciate you attempting to keep us up to date with lore, but thanks, we'll manage and then some.

-Dovydas

It honestly worries me that it might've been missed, because a) I don't want any more confusion regarding the plot b) I'm still curious how you expected the Hlaalu, aka Morrowind's Cosa Nostra, to just get up and leave without a single shot fired the moment the Redoran dismiss them from the Council.

-Dovydas

Sorry. I was busy dealing with Tyler over there. I have no doubt House Hlaalu could've fought the Redoran. I have serious doubts that they could've fought the entire Council, considering that it's implied it was a Council decision. Hlaalu probably cut their losses and packed up.

There's a difference between plain immaturity and cracking jokes.

And such a joke didn't have a place in the RP. The character had no place in the RP. There was no personality other than "buster," I maintain (and am really tired of reiterating) that "ghost" cannot be a gender, even under the loosest definition of the word, and the fact of the matter is that the character was little more than spam.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

This war.

-Dovydas

-Dovydas

Sorry. I was busy dealing with Tyler over there. I have no doubt House Hlaalu could've fought the Redoran. I have serious doubts that they could've fought the entire Council, considering that it's implied it was a Council decision. Hlaalu probably cut their losses and packed up.

> cut their losses

when your decision is between PROBABLY losing everything and DEFINITELY losing everything, you don't choose DEFINITELY losing everything.

Tbh, if I might suggest, I think your passive-aggressiveness seems to be clouding your judgment.

-Dovydas

Okay, I think we're getting too far away from the original matter at hand here, which is critique of the RPGs that have been recently posted and proposed.

So let's just kiss and make out.

Or make up.

One of those two.

Might've been a little Freudian, that remark there.

Edited by Perplexed
  • Upvote 1

Just one second, Perp.

This war.

-Dovydas

-Dovydas

> cut their losses

when your decision is between PROBABLY losing everything and DEFINITELY losing everything, you don't choose DEFINITELY losing everything.

Tbh, if I might suggest, I think your passive-aggressiveness seems to be clouding your judgment.

-Dovydas

Exactly my point. Hlaalu was in a very bad position to fight back, considering the fact they were smack dab in the middle of all other House holdings. Had they gone to war with the other Houses, they would've lost, badly, especially since their Imperial allies had abandoned Morrowind. Letting themselves be stripped of their power is the best possible scenario for them, and is the only way they wouldn't all die horribly.

EDIT: Perp, you sick person you. I make it a rule not to kiss people I'm arguing with.

Edited by IcarusBen

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

Wait 2 walls of text for one RP? 

Is there no way to consolidate, like I'm sure the game is great but there is a such thing as too much info. 

I think this quote sums up this RPG's biggest weakness.

I'll admit right off the bat that I've never played an Elder Scrolls game, but even if I had, this is still a lot of info to absorb. While I understand that y'all are making an RPG about a game series you know and love and you want to do it justice, this will be a difficult RPG to get into for those players who aren't as familiar with the lore. I was hardly halfway through the first post before my head was spinning with names, dates and events.

In addition to this, I'm leery of the number of factions. You've got five major Houses as well as five smaller factions, and the OTC playerbase simply might not be big enough to sustain all ten of these. Either most will join four or five factions, or the playerbase will spread itself out quite thinly.

Same with the locations. While a part of me loves the idea of such a wide-open land where players are free to explore to their hearts' content, another part of me wonders, again, how the OTC playerbase will sustain this. If Marvel is anything to go by, most players will stick to a couple of locations and the rest of the map will just be overkill.

I like the magic system. It's well-organized and explained, and doesn't seem too powerful.

Personally, I love the idea of this RPG. Many of you have RPed with me, and you know I prefer to develop characters rather than drive a plot. This game is extremely enticing in that regard. However, I'm not entirely sure that this is a game that everyone can easily get into, which is a problem because it looks like it will require a reasonably large playerbase to sustain.

That's all for now. :)

• Upvote 5

I do agree with you on the size and complexity of the RP so far: We have been and will continue to revise and cut down the RPG to a much more manageable size, but we were hoping we'd be able to work with the community here to figure out exactly what can and should be cut, and to what extent.

We were also hoping that the widespread interest in the Elder Scrolls series would be more of a draw to players, perhaps even somewhat outside OTC with Sig Banners and the like.

Speaking of which, feel free to suggest names for the RPG. Hlaalu Blues 2: Redoran Boogaloo is just a (working title).

How's TES: Resdayn sound? Perhaps TES: Interregnum since it takes place in a period when Morrowind was struggling to find a leader.

Or, maybe, just maybe, TES: This-Gods-Forsaken-Thing-Was-Written-By-Hermaeus-Mora-Himself, considering the sheer complexity of it all.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

I agree on the overall length being something people might find difficult to deal with, but, regarding the number of factions and/or locations: that's the point. We don't want players to NECESSARILY sustain a faction or location at all. Those factions exist in the world whether the players play in them or not. Factions are not the driving point of the RPG, they are merely part of the world the RPG takes place in. We don't need or even want players to join all factions and it's not only possible but probable that some factions will not have player members at all. They aren't there to be a gameplay mechanic, they're there to allow the players to embellish their characters further.

And as for the locations, forbidding players from playing in some parts of Morrowind is something we just can't do. Yes, that will make the game centered on a few areas, but it also will allow us to branch out freely like never before.

Granted, I definitely agree that it's long as , and heh, it really does need to be cut down somehow. And I'm also glad you like it, Eyru.

-Dovydas

Edited by Albannach

7POsy.gif

Oh my goodness indeed. Congratulations, gentlemen, you have done what I thought impossible: you have actually convinced me to venture out from under the cosy little rock that is the BZPRPG and take an interest in the (clearly) weird and wonderful world of OTC. If Dov and Perp's Morrowind RPG gets off the ground (and I have little doubt that it will), you can count me in.

Now for my thoughts on the pitch above: I certainly understand Eyru's concerns about the sheer amount of lore that's being set out here, but honestly, having played one Elder Scrolls game yes i've only played skyrim please don't hate me I would expect nothing less in a TES setting. Personally I don't have a problem with the level of detail given above (I love detail), but perhaps it could be trimmed down by giving minimal text descriptions where possible, and providing references to the Wiki for people who really want to get into the meat of the topic?

I like the magic system: its simplicity is its strength. I do wonder whether it might be worth expanding the number of spells in each School just a little (for example, I feel as though detection spells would be a strong addition to the Alteration list). Restricting a character's spell repertoire to just two feels harsh, but on the other hand magic definitely has the potential to be very OP here so it may be entirely justified.

And finally, allow me to spew a few ideas for the title in your general direction:

• The Elder Scrolls: Ashes and Embers
  • The Elder Scrolls: Fragments
  • The Elder Scrolls: Redoran Rising
  • The Elder Scrolls: Azura's Favoured
  • Elder Scrolls Episode V: The Empire Falls Flat
  • TES-Men: Darkest Elves
  • Nerevar Say Nerevar Again
  • The Dark Elf Rises
  • The Elder Scrolls: Dunmurked
Edited by Ghosthands
  • Upvote 8

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

if we don't do one of those last five not only am i renouncing my co-gm spot but i will no longer be friends with dov and perp

-Tyler

Edited by Aikuro Mikisugi
  • Upvote 7

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

7POsy.gif

Oh my goodness indeed. Congratulations, gentlemen, you have done what I thought impossible: you have actually convinced me to venture out from under the cosy little rock that is the BZPRPG and take an interest in the (clearly) weird and wonderful world of OTC. If Dov and Perp's Morrowind RPG gets off the ground (and I have little doubt that it will), you can count me in.

Now for my thoughts on the pitch above: I certainly understand Eyru's concerns about the sheer amount of lore that's being set out here, but honestly, having played one Elder Scrolls game yes i've only played skyrim please don't hate me I would expect nothing less in a TES setting. Personally I don't have a problem with the level of detail given above (I love detail), but perhaps it could be trimmed down by giving minimal text descriptions where possible, and providing references to the Wiki for people who really want to get into the meat of the topic?

I like the magic system: its simplicity is its strength. I do wonder whether it might be worth expanding the number of spells in each School just a little (for example, I feel as though detection spells would be a strong addition to the Alteration list). Restricting a character's spell repertoire to just two feels harsh, but on the other hand magic definitely has the potential to be very OP here so it may be entirely justified.

And finally, allow me to spew a few ideas for the title in your general direction:

• The Elder Scrolls: Ashes and Embers
  • The Elder Scrolls: Fragments
  • The Elder Scrolls: Redoran Rising
  • The Elder Scrolls: Azura's Favoured
  • Elder Scrolls Episode V: The Empire Falls Flat
  • TES-Men: Darkest Elves
  • Nerevar Say Nerevar Again
  • The Dark Elf Rises
  • The Elder Scrolls: Dunmurked

You've only ever played Skyrim? That's... that's...

Must... resist... nerd... rage...

It's dangerous to go alone. TAKE THIS!

The-Elder-Scrolls-Anthology-PC-Games-153

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

My BZPRPG Profiles

76561198041367047.png

I know absolutely nothing about Elder Scrolls, aside from it being some sort of fantasy/magic video game thingie that's very popular nowadays, but I have to say, even seen from the perspective of an outsider, this 'Holy Freakin' Wall of Text' RPG looks pretty interesting. Quite tempting, actually. Could be the next Marvel Rebirth or BZPRPG, if you play your cards right.

Also, just sayin'... maybe I'm the odd man out here, but 'simplify, simplify' is not necessarily a must. I personally happen to love extremely complex, detailed, and lore-packed RPGs, as long as they're crafted with skill. So, yeah. 'Wall of text' is not always a bad thing, IMHO. And I like that 'plug and play' magic system; for an RPG, I think it'll work quite well. :)

(Also, great work on the post formatting itself. Very balanced, professional and pleasing to the eye. Although the addition of a nice logo / title poster image might be nice; sorta lend to the atmosphere, y'know.)

• Upvote 5

While I'm not sure I would urge overall simplification, I would urge simplification of that first post. Have as much information as you want, but boil the first post down to the absolute essentials, and store the rest in a dedicated Lore Post. 

• Upvote 2

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

While I'm not sure I would urge overall simplification, I would urge simplification of that first post. Have as much information as you want, but boil the first post down to the absolute essentials, and store the rest in a dedicated Lore Post.

That definitely sounds like something close to a win-win solution, methinks.

if we don't do one of those i am no longer friends with myself

oh cmon buddy i'm just kidding

we can't let something as stupid as the game's name

dovydas

-Tyler

• Upvote 3

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

That definitely sounds like something close to a win-win solution, methinks.

That's actually a great idea, I like that quite a bit. We can move the entirety of the Factions and Locations to that dedicated Lore Post, thus ensuring that people only have to look at it when necessary or when they're interested.

-Dovydas

Edited by Albannach
  • Upvote 2