Skyrise

Nato G

IC: Armani - The Test

She took note of his behaviour. The quick breathing, the holding the metal as if he were a small child clutching a toy... it could very well have been an act, but he seemed shocked by what had happened. She couldn't land, the outcrop wasn't big enough for that, so she could not step out of the vehicle to offer comfort.

Instead, she called over the engines, "This must be hard to come to terms with, citizen. If you explain that you did not realise this would happen to His Spikiness, I am sure he would be understanding. I hope you have realised the dangers of attempting a ram in a vehicle not designed for the task, and without extensive practice."

To herself, she wondered why she had been told ramming was acceptable when it very clearly was not. Perhaps it had been Maldrakk's ship not being designed for the task, causing debris and a wider spread of force. Perhaps it had been the position and angle of the experimental craft, hanging on the side of a cliff. Or, perhaps the other Skrall overestimated what a Hau could protect against. She filed the mystery away for later.

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

IC: Ailun - The Moa (Outside New Atero)

Ailun's attention was finally torn away from the pilots brawling right outside by the creaking of his ship. He stared at the wobbling guns and roaring engine in confusion for a moment, only just figuring out what was happening before Threiaa's voice echoed from within. "Oh, for Mata Nui's sake..." He started stomping back inside before he turned back to... well, everyone out there, but Ennanas in particular to shout, "Don't let them touch my ship!" The sickening grinding of metal just out of view didn't fill him with much confidence.

It may have taken Threiaa a while to find her way through the maze of passageways that led to the bridge, but Ailun had lain every scrap of metal and every rivet himself. It was only a dozen seconds later when he found his way to the doorway. "What the karz do you think you're doing?!"

IC: Mirror - Tesara Marketplace

With his shift completed, Mirror went to fulfill his promise and grab some Madu fruit for tonight's dinner... only to find the cart had closed down already. He stared at it in disappointment, somehow hoping TeeVee would pop out of one of the shuddered windows.

IC: Kathok - Above the Wastes, heading for Cliffside

Kathok glances viciously at the compass on his control panel. Kathok knows he can't let the pilot reach Cliffside, otherwise the chase will descend into one of those irritating street fights - something he isn't in the mood for right now. Kathok suddenly feels a hot wave of anger rush over him, for the first time today. This rat has denied him his hunt, denied him his weaving pursuit through the jagged canyons of the wastes. No, no, they've taken the easy route. Haven't they got any sense of adventure? Kathok curses in the language of old Zakaz. Couldn't they have just decided that it would be beneficial to go the other way, at least? Clearly not.

Kathok feels frustrated. The only reason he did this was out of a two part blend of curiosity and adrenaline-junkie reflexes. I mean, he suspects something else might be going on...but that's just an excuse to himself to do this. But now the fun is over. Now the game is over.

Kathok will go to Cliffside, he decides, but he'll drag this mundane weasel with him by the scruff of their neck.

Hands scrawling the metal savagely without warning, Kathok unleashes a barrage of force bolts at his foe, the volley aimed with white-hot rage. At the same time two lines of superheated death lance out from either side of Sunmaker, ready to cleave his opponent's engines clean off.

Kathok grimaces in a self-satisfied way. He expects he'll soon see a poor helpless being appear stranded on the sand. His conscience won't let him pass without picking them up...

Edited by Sil

Kathok

IC: Threiaa - The Moa

She whirled around from the intercom to look at Ailun.

"Gettin' your attention, pretty successfully too by the looks of it!"

IC: Tv - Tesara, Central Market Place

I'd had my fill at the bar, using up what little spare change I had on a good chunk of bread and a drink. It was probably about time to take my cart back home-

Oh, wait. That guard from earlier was at my booth again, hopefully to engage in some actual commerce this time.

"Lookin' to buy now?" I asked as I approached.

GM IC: Silvana - Plateau.

The enemy Jetrax's shots lashed the already-damaged wing of the Whisper, one of the cutting beams spearing directly through the engine. It sputtered, pouring smoke, and the Jetrax began to list to the side. 

Silvana cursed, searching for somewhere to land or bail. There was no way to be sure if the ground below her was stable, and even if it was, there was no guarantee that it would still be stable ten minutes from now. The tectonics this far into the wastes were in a constant state of flux, dangerous and unstable. There was a reason there were only four permanent settlements in the entirety of the Great Barren, after all. 

Sighing, she reduced power to the Whisper's one still-functioning engine, and brought it in for a rough landing on the crumbling rock. The ground held, for now, so she gingerly clambered out of the aircraft, staff in hand. Her mask and other belongings were still secured in the hidden compartment under her seat, and there they would stay. 

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

IC: Drukann - Above The Wastes

A bulky Jetrax flew in the skies above the wastes. Where it was coming from or where he was going quite frankly didn't matter right now. Resisting the urge to take a sip from his bottle of strong alcohol, Drukann gazed across the skyline. It was up here that he felt the most free. The most detached from his problems... and his past. But all good things had to come to an end, and he always had to land eventually, be it to get a bite to eat and ale to drink, or take out his frustrations on some poor scum at Cliffside.

From the corner of his eye, Drukann noticed two craft far away in the sky. At first, he paid little attention, hoping these two weren't aggressive brakas who attacked on sight, and if they were, that they wouldn't notice him. But after he spared a second glance, he noticed something very important. One of them was firing at the other. And then he looked away again. "Nope, not getting involved in that... Not getting involved... Not getting... Oh Karzahni." A good swig from his bottle, and Drukann changed his course to the fight between Kathok and Silvana.

"I'm going to regret this."

IC: Rorohiko - Nerd Ship

Upon getting no response from the instigator of this trip except for a long awkward silence, he was happy to have it broken by the more talkative guard. "Oh! Thanks. I have a habit of lingering and straying from the group on expeditions to other cities. That doesn't go so well in Cliffside. It'd be nice to have someone making sure I'm not being mugged in an alley."

Edited by ZippyWharrgarbl

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

A quick sweep over and Kathok has spotted Silvana clambering out of her ship, even without the aide of his farsight. Still holding his frustration at the situation within him, he relishes the opportunity to take out some of his anger: he sweeps over the stranded pilot, letting loose one or two force bolts near them - dangerously close in fact, but not intending to actually hit. Of course this might also manage to knock out the other pilot with the shock-waves, but Kathok is more interested in the satisfaction. The leer returns to his jagged skakdi maw.

He'll stay in the air for a few more seconds before descending to get his prize. He can bear to let the feeling of anxiety mount within his prey for a moment longer.

Edited by Sil

Kathok

The incoming blasts flung Silvana back against the Whisper, showering her with rubble and dust. The ground creaked ominously, a web of thin cracks spreading from the spots the blasts had hit. 

But, mercifully, they stopped. The ground held, for now. 

Edited by Roman Torchwick

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

The Skakdi still stood there, seemingly shocked. She eased her ship a little closer. "Hold onto the side of my craft, then, citizen. I will save you the climb back to the others."

IC: Porangi - Crushing the opposition

The cockpit of 042's craft crumbled under the structurally stronger craft that was Porangi's Rockoh, The Clanka Clunk. But no sooner had his craft come to a stop deep in the midst of the robot's Jetrax than the owner of said Jetrax quite angrily returned to the scene of the crime in the form of a grappling hook shot straight at the Zyglak. Fortunately, the Zyglak was quite prepared, and masterfully dodged out of the way, ejecting out of his craft and landing his face square upon the ground on the other side of the two intermingling aircraft, placing the scrap pile between the two combatants. Porangi got back up, peeking over the craft at his pursuer. "Sorry about your craft, but this could all have been avoided if you'd just stayed back in the city, so really, you only have yourself to blame!"

IC: Drukann - Already regretting this

"Alright, you wiry excuse of a skakdi, let's see you take on someone your own size." Drukann muttered under his breath as he opened fire upon Kathok's ship with his two rapid fire bolt launchers. A hit from them would imbue fire into their target, causing a combustion in the area of impact.

Kathok spares a fleeting glance downwards to see the force bolts biting the ground. On their journey back upwards, Kathok's tuquoise eyes flicker across one of the mirrors on his dashboard. In it lies a pursuing ship, appeared as if from nowhere, which is even now firing at him and--

With hardly a conscious thought Kathok sets Sunmaker's auxiliary maneuvering thrusters downwards, launching the ship upwards in a blur of motion and sending the projectiles spitting past below him. Heart racing, adrenaline pumping into his blood, Kathok's eyes follow the blasts as time seems to slow. They arc down, down, down, down towards the scene below. Time seems to slow, cliche as it sounds. On their current trajectory they miss Silvana by quite a long way, but still they fall. And...

The bolts from the other ship, blurs of motion, slam into the ground some way away from the scene below. But anywhere is too close. The far off explosions of flame are followed by a noise so deep and subtle that it can hardly be heard, especially over engines. It sounds like the creaking of trees in a storm or ice under a boot. And it's succeeded by a cobweb of hair-thin cracks scrawling over the landscape. Kathok doesn't have much time.

In an instant, Kathok has loosed a volley of football-sized force bolts at his pursuer. Hopefully the heavier, clumsier jetrax won't be able to dodge as easily. Kathok knows he'll have to pick up his prize before the ledge collapses, but landing now would only make him a sitting taku for the maniac attacking him.

Edited by Sil

Kathok

IC Maldrakk

"Oh, um, right."

He nervously rose to his feet, dropping the piece of metal, and grabbing on as securely as he could muster to the side of the ship. He had been responsible for several deaths, but those always in an explosion of flame and metal, there was no guilt behind it, it was just in the line of business.

She glanced back to ensure he was holding on, and then took off for the others after closing the cockpit window. It wasn't a long flight, even with Armani flying slower than usual to ensure Maldrakk would have no trouble holding on. She landed beside the craft and its inhabitants, climbing from her ship, pocketing her keys, and gesturing for Maldrakk to follow. She approached the others to issue her report.

OOC: Are Hakkzan and the others still inside their craft?

OOC: Indeed they are.

GM IC: Hakkzan - Transport, Canyon.

"What do you mean, that wasn't supposed to happen?" Hakkzan repeated numbly, glancing back and forth between Branar and the distant wreckage of the Strider. "You mean, he's really dead?"

"Yes. This was supposed to be a simple test," the captain replied, "No one was supposed to get hurt."

"No one was supposed to be killed." Stronius added gravely. 

"What the karz am I going to do about this?"

"That is for you to decide, your Spikiness," Stronius exchanged a knowing glance with Branar. 

IC Maldrakk

Maldrakk followed along behind Armani, trying to keep as bitter and bland of an expression as possible to hide his emotions.

In his mind, he was thinking of what Hakkzan might do. He couldn't leave it to the option that he would know him well enough to brush it off and let Varim handle it, because he completely ignored information regarding Fe. He also couldn't expect Stronius to assist, although unlike Hakkzan he might be smart enough to know offing Maldrakk wasn't going to get him or Hakkzan out of any hot water with Varim, only possibly make it worse because Varim might have been robbed of the opportunity to find revenge himself. And Branar... How was he supposed to know anything about Branar?

His only possible supporter here would be Armani, but in all likeliness she would be too well-tied to Hakkzan's service to offer any kind of support.

She rapped her knuckles against the door of the ship, glancing back to ensure Maldrakk was still following her. Not that there was anywhere for him to run to on foot, of course.

What a terrible way for a test to go. An experimental craft destroyed, a pilot gruesomely killed... she could not have done anything, of course, but the thought caused her little comfort.

"You better decide quickly," Branar chimed, "They're here." 

Expression dour, Stronius hauled open one of the side hatches, before stepping back and gesturing for Armani and Maldrakk to climb aboard. The rest of the troops had already been moved to one of the other compartments, leaving Branar and Stronius as Hakkzan's only companions. 

"Come in," Hakkzan growled, his usually amiable expression evaporating into a mix of anger and disappointment. 

IC: Armani - Main Man Hakkzan's Party Bus of Anger and Disappointment

She snapped into a salute. "I have investigated the craft, and I am very sorry to report that the pilot has perished. I checked their vital signs myself, though the state of the craft didn't leave much hope of survival. The experimental craft and this citizen's vehicle were mangled horribly in the incident. I am very sorry. Were I in a position to have prevented this, rest assured I would have done so without hesitation."

She dropped from her salute to gesture to Maldrakk. "I have brought the aforementioned citizen; he was brought to safety by his vehicle's teleportation device. The test pilot, I believe, was not so lucky... or, possibly, did not have the device at all."

IC Maldrakk - The Place that Zippy so elaborately named

"Yes," He said with something of a snarl as he stepped out from behind Armani. "Why the karz was there no teleport for the pilot?!"

It was evident immediately that he was more primed for vicious anger than Hakkzan ever could be. Although the tragedy danced back and forth on his features, especially in his eyes, he maliciously shot his glare between Hakkzan and Stronius.

IC: Drukann - No more regrets, only fighting

Drukann only barely managed to manoeuvre his ship out of the way of the force bolts, one of them just barely grazing the underside of the hull, which was enough to give a light bump to the ship and its pilot. "Alright, let's see you dodge this." Once more resuming his firing of the bolt blasters rapidly, albeit with a larger spread as to increase the likelihood of hitting his target, he now also fired his own force blaster at his opponent, the attributes of these force bolts being a stun effect applied to whatever they collided with.

"I think..." he gestured to Branar, "...I'll defer you to the authority on that topic."

"In case it's somehow escaped your notice," the Skrall sighed, glowering at Maldrakk, "The teleportation failsafes in standard aircraft transport the pilot to the nearest section of the stable ground. Considering that the Strider is a land-based vehicle, and that this was merely the prototype anyway, there's no point installing one. The pilot would wind up right next to their vehicle, completely out in the open, and exposed to whatever had damaged it in the first place."

"In other words," Stronius growled, "They would stand a better chance of survival inside the cockpit than they would outside." 

"Now that your question has been answered," Hakkzan folded his arms, "I have one of my own. What the karz makes you think you can walk in here and make demands of me after what you did?" 

IC: Ezezko - The Failed Testing Grounds

Uh.

It was getting really awkward. He hadn't been hailed or anything and he was aimlessly circling above the improvised grave of the test pilot. Waiting for something.

Big Red and suspiciously nice girl had entered Hakkzan's craft. Maybe he was kzzzzplaining his actions.

Maybe they'd all be killed and made to disappear for their involvement in this covert op gone bad.

That'd be kinda neat.

...but close to it

IC: Armani - Main Man Hakkzan's Party Bus of Anger and Disappointment

She regretted giving Maldrakk something to yell about. She had meant it simply as an observation, in case, for whatever reason, the craft did have one of the teleportation devices and it had failed to operate.

"If I may, Your Spikiness," she snapped a salute again. "Maldrakk here was very shaken from his experience. It took some impressive goading from myself to get him onto my magnificent craft to return here. He may not be fully in control of his faculties at this moment in time, and may be lashing out due to that."

IC: 042 - Outside New Atero

"You fail to acknowledge your own blame, and attempt to defer it to me. Such attempts are futile."

The claw did miss porangi, but it caught on the inside of the cockpit as it retracted. 042 let it pull him to the cockpit, where the former pit guard was able to pull himself in. The limp pieces of 042's left leg dangled into the seat, but the right soundly placed into the lower controls.

"My turn."

IC: Ailun - The Moa (Outside New Atero)

Just as quickly as he had arrived, Threiaa was forgotten as Ailun raced to the control panel to look over the damage. He clutched his mask in despair, muttering to himself, "No, no, no... the radar, the environmental systems, the..." he cautiously tapped the throttle lever, and it fell to the ground with a clatter. "What!?" No, no, no, this ain't good..."

IC: Mirror - Tesara Marketplace

"Ahhh!" In a fit of panic at actually hearing TeeVee's voice, Mirror wrestled with his sword for a moment before the motion pulled him around to see the merchant's glowering face. Or, maybe he wasn't glowering. Mirror could never tell.

Frozen in place, one hand still on his Lance, Mirror glanced back and forth to make sure he was the one being spoken to, before clearing his throat and answering, "Umm... s-sure."

IC: Tv - Tesara, Central Marketplace

Wow. That was almost sad.

"Right then. Come on over, we'll get your fix."

IC: Threiaa - The Moa

"Roight, that would be my fault. But the shape of the bridge up here is somethin' awful, you can't blame me for not being able to tell what's what in a mish-mash like this."

She grabbed the dangling intercom for emphasis.

"Who puts an intercom on a chain from the ceiling anyway??"

IC: 042 - Outside New Atero

042's head snapped back and to the side in response. It's hand shot up to meet the zyglak's wrist, while the other continued to operate and tweak the controls of the vehicle. Creaking groans escaped it's neck as it turned to look directly at the zyglak, contempt in it's eyes.

IC: 042 - Having this

Porangi's fist connected with 042's head easily. It spun to the side, but it wouldn't throw off the Maxilos too much. While the Zyglak's wrist was still in 042's grip, the robot expended it's inner energies, black flame flowing out from between it's fingers. Simultaneously, Clunka-Clunk's engine sputtered and kicked to life, pulling back from Red Hydraxon.

IC: 042 - Still having this but definitely not enthusiastic about it

In something of a surprise show of strength, Porangi was able to lift 042 from the seat. Letting go of his wrist to free a second hand, it launched the grappling claw at the control stick with one hand and unsheathed it's sword with the other, all while toppling to the ground below the zyglak. It pulled at the controls, causing Clunka-clunk to reverse much faster, towards the Moa.

Kathok growls as he sees his new enemy firing. What exactly is him motivation? Kathok had been chasing a suspicious looking situation, but this concentrated compound of stupidity and ineptitude was firing for literally no reason. Unless it was some old rival of his, Kathok considered, but the other pilot wouldn't be able to see him clearly from this distance. Kathok breaths as he remembers the blasts. Cause and effect slows to a trickle. Kathok's mind, a slow-motion spark, decides to try a maneuver he learnt years ago. He sees the swarm of angry projectiles vomiting towards him in an unhurried lull...

Instantaneously, Sunmaker shudders upwards to avoid the string of force blasts and their fast-following fire bolt kin. Consciousness cycling and spinning, eyes following the projectiles like those of a hawk, Kathok flicks a switch, cranks a lever and blasts Sunmaker down and back, down and back, down and back, and over the projectiles. With main thrusters off, he spinning vortex of the land and sky in front of Kathok lurches, disconcertingly shrinking and coming into focus as it slows to a standstill and starts to fall away from him.

Now comes the hard part.

The perfectly timed 'jump' has missed the cloud of projectiles, nimbly hopping over them with the aid of Sunmaker's extra jets. But, after a split second of stillness the ship is swinging back and down - gravity giving it a helping hand. Main engines are off, now the jetrax's agile auxiliaries will have to execute the movement. Still Sunmaker falls backwards, eating away the space between it and its pursuer.

The timing must be precise.

Speed increasing.

Space decreasing.

Collision imminent. 

The whole act takes a handful of seconds, the jostling movements shaking Kathok in his seat. From Drukann's perspective, the Sunmaker briefly leaps upwards in its trajectory, the projectiles skimming or missing it. After a moment it drops back down, except now it's coming straight at him. Extra engines sizzling with searing heat, Kathok's ship plummets towards Drukann, ready to scrape the pilot out of his own seat as its armoured hull brushes the cockpit of its pursuer.

Kathok

IC Maldrakk

"This test was in your security." Maldrakk hissed as much as he could, which ended up looking like he was softly hissing. "I know you have Varim to explain to; I only have you."

Armani then stepped in and explained something else in Maldrakk's defense. He shrunk back at her words, despite trying hard not to.

IC: 042 - Hurtling mass of carnage -> The Moa

042 had had quite enough at this point. As the vehicle designed for ramming began to accelerate to ramming speed, aiming the end not designed to ram towards a large, metal object, 042 decided that, perhaps, this was not worth the hassle. After all, this machine had free will. 

Porangi's sword frayed the grappling claw, and before he was given another chance to finish the job, the claw retracted fully into the machine's arm and Maxilos 042 rolled to a stop along the sandy ground. There was little time for stopping however, and rather than risk any more time out here with a now enraged Zyglak, 042 was going inside the nearest fortified structure. Or, in this case, the Moa. The fully intact grapple launched out to catch onto the Moa's landing gear, the less intact one latching onto the distant leg chunk. Hopefully the Pilot of this vessel was more accomodating.

IC: Porangi - Averting further vehicular carnage

It turned out that Porangi had just barely managed to hold on to his Rockoh by his foot, and was now pulled along as it headed straight for the Moa. Barely managing to clamber back on, Porangi wasted no time in trying to avert this cataclysmic collision, pulling out the somewhat mangled glider wings as airbrakes and putting all power into flying forward.

Unfortunately, it wasn't enough, and the ship collided with the Moa. Fortunately, it was enough that said "collision" was just a light thud, at most scratching up any paint job the owners of either vehicle might hold dear. From there, Porangi then went into full throttle, flying back off into the sky. He hoped he'd never have to see that darn maxilos unit again, although he suspected he wouldn't be so fortunate.

With her attacker facing away from her, and the new assailant likely too far away to see her properly, Silvana got to work. Sliding open the compartment under her seat, she pulled out her mask, and the items she'd retrieved from Tesara, stuffing them both into a satchel. She tied a broken chunk of plating to the satchel's strap, and dropped the whole thing into the blackened depths of one of the cracks that had opened up during the Whisper's impact.

The crevasse was deep, its darkness impenetrable; she heard nothing for a few seconds, until a distant clang indicated that the makeshift anchor she'd tied the satchel to had found purchase on something far below. 

Her work complete, she picked up her staff, and started sprinting across the plateau, leaving the damaged Whisper behind. Her chances of making it all the way to Cliffside on foot were slim at best, but it was safer than staying here.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

His Spikiness blinked, confused, "Why would I have to explain to Varim? I am the King of New Atero, not him." This skakdi's audacity was truly astounding. Was he really trying to insinuate that the disaster he'd caused had somehow been Hakkzan's own fault? 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

GM IC: Slimy Joe - The Makuta Killer.

The aquarium-esque airship had soon left New Atero behind, and was now drifting along the coastline. Out the left hand viewports, the passengers would see the walls and watchtowers that marred New Atero's territory stretching out for kio, while on the right, the stagnant sludge that was Aqua Magna glistened eerily in the midday sun.

"We'll be there soon," Joe muttered, seemingly to himself, "Finally, after all this time."

GM IC: Xaril - The Iron Fist Of Fe.

After hours of travel, Cliffside finally came into view. Aircraft of all kinds buzzed around the settlement, like carrion circling a corpse, but at the sight of the monstrous Fe flagship, they scattered like roaches. 

There was no protocol or organisation here - you just parked where you could - and that was exactly what the Iron Fist did, cruising in right next to the main plateau before deploying mooring lines to anchor it to the rockface. Once the ship was secure, a gangplank was deployed; it was barely in place before Xaril stormed across it, hands folded behind his back, eyes surveying his surroundings.

Most of the smart locals had already scrambled back to their homes, while the less worldly ones were coming in for a closer look. Xaril didn't care. All of his focus was fixated on the ramshackle building only a few dozen bio away: Capstone. 

Edited by Roman Torchwick

IC Maldrakk

That finalized his theory.

"Oh," He said with a pause after, sending a tired and knowing glance at his spikiness. "My error. This whole matter is not doing well for my head." He looked at Stronius one more time before turning his attention to Armani.

"I will never forgive myself for this unfortunate accident. If some form of justice must occur, then let it be so, but there's no reason that we should keep him hanging any longer." He waved an arm  towards the greatest living pilot in existence, as he aimlessly circled the sands.