Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

But Mangaia already has a boss. Onu-koro, on the other hand, does not. The next boss is something in Onu-koro. Considering that the great mine is flooded. there is a good chance that the next boss occurs during the bohrok attack.

Considering this quote:

I originally had Bohrok on my list of playable species, way back when I first started this project. I found them too similar to Toa in powers, though, and more limited otherwise. I'm planning to include them as NPC enemies.

The next boss is a swarm of Gahlok.

Wasn't the mine still flooded during the Bohrok Kal storyline? The boss could be one of the Kal.

Good point. The boss is Lehvak Kal.

bBhcfWO.png

But Mangaia already has a boss. Onu-koro, on the other hand, does not. The next boss is something in Onu-koro. Considering that the great mine is flooded. there is a good chance that the next boss occurs during the bohrok attack.

Considering this quote:

I originally had Bohrok on my list of playable species, way back when I first started this project. I found them too similar to Toa in powers, though, and more limited otherwise. I'm planning to include them as NPC enemies.

Wasn't the mine still flooded during the Bohrok Kal storyline? The boss could be one of the Kal.

Why Lehvak?

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

You know, playing as a Bohrok would be really fun... if you do decide to use it, you can give the option of taking control over an AI character by throwing a krana at it and using it as a new body for a period of time, or until you die. Then you get a new krana when you "respawn" and it starts over... that'd be really interesting if it could work.

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

Considering this quote:

Why Lehvak?

He is the one who stole Onua's Nuva symbol.

bBhcfWO.png

Considering this quote:

Why Lehvak?

Oh. Makes sense.

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Considering this quote:

Why Lehvak?

How do you know?

Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do great things.

It's called garbage can, not garbage cannot!

Because BS01

The book Makuta's Revenge also hints toward Lehvak Kal stealing Onua's symbol.

Color system works like this: Each sprite is split into parts, which are colored white. A few variables hold the relevant color values, and the full sprite is then drawn in a "stack", the parts blended with color. Changing the color is a simple as changing the variable, though here is the problem: The function for getting a color from the screen easily causes lag.I was, however, planning on making a proper "cloak" effect, where the sprite is only visible as a distorted silhouette of the background. The problem with this is that the sprite is split into parts, so either I must apply the cloak effect several times (lag!) or I must compile the sprite into a silhouette before making the distortion, like I do with the death effects (lag!). So that's why there's no proper cloaking yet.EDIT: Wouldn't disguising as a random Rahkshi essentially be just the color shift? People are gonna kill you just as hard regardless of who you look like. Chameleon is meant to avoid being seen at all. I was thinking that Shapeshifting already has the "disguise" ability incorporated anyways.

How about you make the rahkshi become a black outline with 35% transparency and nothing inside the outline? Then the background would be your color. This could make bots not see you at all and in multiplayer (after you make it) other players would have a little trouble seeing you, but you would not be invisible.

Banner2.png

Check out my comics!

Considering this quote:

Just so you guys know, I lied. the next boss is the Barraki in the under water world.

bBhcfWO.png

The next boss is not a Bohrok. There would be good reason to place Bohrok in Onu-Koro in the future, however.

You know, playing as a Bohrok would be really fun... if you do decide to use it, you can give the option of taking control over an AI character by throwing a krana at it and using it as a new body for a period of time, or until you die. Then you get a new krana when you "respawn" and it starts over... that'd be really interesting if it could work.

An idea that was considered but ultimately trashed along with Bohrok as a playable species altogether. Mind control in general brings up the issue of taking away player control, which gets awkward when you try to decide whether to force the controlled player to sit quietly and watch for a long time, or be allowed to respawn and essentially fight a clone of themselves.

Or possibly all of them, like the Kini Nui map

"Wake one, and you wake them all."

cloak

How about you make the rahkshi become a black outline with 35% transparency and nothing inside the outline? Then the background would be your color. This could make bots not see you at all and in multiplayer (after you make it) other players would have a little trouble seeing you, but you would not be invisible.

I've already made Chameleon partly transparent. What I was referring to back then was more the shimmering distortion effect that often follows cloaking in fiction. I also hope to update the bots to use slightly more realistic AI, but that's a different topic. :)

Regarding the boss, guys, I dunno why I even bother to "tease" it. It was revealed years ago. :P

Considering this quote:

Just so you guys know, I lied. the next boss is the Barraki in the under water world.

I lied the next boss is Makuta.

bBhcfWO.png

It's yellow light, actually. Still makes them look green, though. They are in their normal blue and purple colors when viewed in regular light. I just chose this screenshot because they look cooler creeping around in the dark. :)

Thanks, I've now corrected that in my project file.

EDIT:

- Boss programming is seeing progress. Some kinks to work out still, but it's looking good so far. And to be clear: Yes, it's Makuta Teridax.

- Nui-Jaga are almost complete as well. Nui-Jaga will appear in some areas of Onu-Koro, and maybe walk in from the edges of Kini-Nui.

- I'm looking at other Rahi that are simple to program, so that you might get a bit more variety in the game. I'm looking to include a Survival game mode, where you cannot respawn. The goal will be to defeat as many enemies as possible before you die. This mode will have no spawn pad healing available, and continuously spawn new foes.

I need to fix some stuff that could potentially take a long time, so I'm still not sure when the next update will be. I hope to put it all together within a week or two, though.

Edited by Katuko
  • Upvote 1

Because BS01

The book Makuta's Revenge also hints toward Lehvak Kal stealing Onua's symbol.

The 3 C.A.Hapka novels are only semi-canon. If it contradicts other material, the other source takes precedence.

- Boss programming is seeing progress. Some kinks to work out still, but it's looking good so far. And to be clear: Yes, it's Makuta Teridax.

- Nui-Jaga are almost complete as well. Nui-Jaga will appear in some areas of Onu-Koro, and maybe walk in from the edges of Kini-Nui.

- I'm looking at other Rahi that are simple to program, so that you might get a bit more variety in the game. I'm looking to include a Survival game mode, where you cannot respawn. The goal will be to defeat as many enemies as possible before you die. This mode will have no spawn pad healing available, and continuously spawn new foes.

I need to fix some stuff that could potentially take a long time, so I'm still not sure when the next update will be. I hope to put it all together within a week or two, though.

Teridax! Yippee!

New mode sounds great, too.

A friend of mine has been back home for a few weeks, leading to us wasting two days on video games 'n' stuff. Completely messed up my sleep cycle even further than usual. Worth it. :P

The coming week I have work every day, which will naturally cause me to get slightly tired and thus not be all that keen on other types of work. I have promised you a new release, though, and you will get it. In order to make myself actually put some effort into programming things, I will make a list of things I hope to include in the coming update, and then give a short status report every day from here on out.

Here goes. Things that are done, and things I hope to include:

Finished:

• Enemy Toa of Plant Life did not use their new Entangle ability when it was added in the last update. This has been rectified.
  • New enemy Rahi: Nui-Jaga. They crawl towards you on the ground and stop to shoot a quick spurt of poison at you. They can take damage from being hit with poison attacks (even other Jaga's), but they are immune to poison as a damage-over-time effect. Nui-Jaga come in blue and purple colors, which is a purely cosmetic difference.
  • New boss fight: Makuta Teridax. He's got a bit of this and a bit of that from his various incarnations throughout the BIONICLE story, and is using a new state-based AI that I will later develop further into new player bot AI. Makuta currently has two phases in his fight, which have been designed to feel threatening and yet manageable at the same time. The current bosses just lash out with high stats and numbers. Makuta is more uniquely programmed.
    • The first phase starts out a bit slow and grows more intense as the boss takes damage.
    • The second phase is when Makuta "gets serious" and starts using his large repertoire of powers. Some will probably catch you by surprise.
    • He has a short pre-battle phase where he introduces himself. He can not be hurt at this point, but attacking him will skip the introduction and start the battle immediately.
    • In the second phase, Makuta will base his actions upon the enemies he is facing. Examples (not fully implemented yet): Using Disintegration against a single target, but Chain Lightning against a target that is clustered with several others. Not using Fragmentation on an enemy that is right in his face. Attempting to dodge when he takes a lot of damage in a short amount of time.
  • A few minor fixes here and there.
To-do:
  • Make Nui-Jaga attacks also cause melee damage at close range.
  • Distribute Nui-Jaga in sensible places.
  • "New" map: Kini-Nui and Mangaia combined. This will be a separate choice of map; the current Kini-Nui and Mangaia maps will stay as they are. The combined map will allow you to open a shaft in the center of the map in order to reach the underground parts.
  • Port Makuta fight over from test runs to the main project file.
  • If there is time left other: Add some extra flair to the Makuta fight.
  • Survival mode: Fighting waves of enemies until you die. Wave system: Easy, can be implemented very quickly. Enemy Rahi and other AI enemies: Lacking. Potential candidates that are easy to program: Tarakava (walk and punch), Muaka/Kane-Ra (walk and bite), Bohrok (walk and shoot/headbutt), Fikou (walk and jump), .
  • Upvote 1

Is this still PC only?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Oh, also - I tried downloading, and Chrome says the dropbox download is malicious. Should I trust you?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Is this still PC only?

Yes, and it will stay that way for the foreseeable future.

Oh, also - I tried downloading, and Chrome says the dropbox download is malicious. Should I trust you?

Yes, it is safe. After I save the game I put it in a ZIP folder, then I drag it directly into my Dropbox desktop app. Dropbox on its own is a legitimate hosting business that does not do anything shady with ads etc. If your computer is flagging the download, it is because it is an executable file in a ZIP folder from an unknown creator. :)

Today's status report:

I have ported over most of Teridax's boss code to the main project. After I tweak it a bit, I shall have to make the code compatible with the various elemental powers you can fling at him.

Now is good ol Terry going to be in his swirly mass of parts form or his '03 form? Because the vortex form would seem more interesting, imo.

Whichever one is combat ready. I would assume it has WINGS like his '04 FORM to beat the flying rahkshi and ba-toa.

True. I forgot about that. I guess I never considered it because he didn't have wings any time he was faced in Mangaia.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Now is good ol Terry going to be in his swirly mass of parts form or his '03 form? Because the vortex form would seem more interesting, imo.

Whichever one is combat ready. I would assume it has WINGS like his '04 FORM to beat the flying rahkshi and ba-toa.

I barely have any poses for Makuta's '03 set form. For this reason I thought I should have him work like a typical first-form Dracula from the Castlevania games, where the boss fires off an attack or two before teleporting to another place in the room. I wanted him to move around without teleporting all the time, though, so I tried taking Exo-Toa sprites, scaling them down, and coloring them black to make a walk animation. This didn't quite work out, and I've used Exo-Toa twice already. Therefore the humanoid Makuta form you will see is currently a modified Jaller Mahri sprite with wings. The AI code can potentially be converted to cover other Makuta as well.

Makuta Teridax has two forms, at least for now. The first is the classic vortex from the MNOG, the second is a winged humanoid. While is size isn't quite that of a "titan", the wings help make up for it. I might add more forms to him in the future, but two is more than enough to debug right now.