Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

You people have horrible computers lol especially you chronix ( no offense to any of you please don't kill me)

Edited by Toa Aeron

Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do great things.

It's called garbage can, not garbage cannot!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been spending my time on exams, mostly. For this game I'm working on the new engine, which is proceeding, but slowly. Currently I only have the very basics of movement controls actually implemented, as I build this piece by piece and spend a lot of time on each. I'll keep you posted. :)

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Oh hey, a new face. Glad to hear you like the game. :) I am working on a new engine for it, which will hopefully end up in a much smoother game and more to do.

Speaking of: I have currently finished the code for jump-through platforms. This allows me to do some things with level design that I couldn't before, such as letting you stand on top of a hut's roof while others can still pass by in front of it. I have also made the player more state-based, so that the new and improved flight scripts don't mess with standard movement. I have also made powers more flexible, so that the same script can be equipped in any "power slot". This means that I can for example equip Hunger as the main power of a Vohrak, while it also works as the mask power of a Toa, no copy-paste needed.

At the moment, the new engine contains the following:

- Basic movement and jump-through platform engine

- Proper flight power (Kanohi Kadin!)

- Improved system for powers, equipment, HUD graphics, etc.

It's going slow because I'm taking care to write and rewrite every part until it works, instead of the patchwork I've been doing before. Once I have enough progress for an exciting tech demo, I'll make sure to upload it here.

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

Basic walking, flight and slope movement has been programmed. If this looks a lot like the previous list I posted, that's because I'm mostly working on adding character sprites and other mechanics in between lectures and a paid project I'm working on. Naturally, that one will have to be prioritized, but I still got spare time. I'll try to use it for programming. ;)

Edited by Katuko

Basic walking, flight and slope movement has been programmed. If this looks a lot like the previous list I posted, that's because I'm mostly working on adding character sprites and other mechanics in between lectures and a paid project I'm working on. Naturally, that one will have to be prioritized, but I still got spare time. I'll try to use it for programming. ;)

code for: he's doing nothing he's working diligently.

• Upvote 1

bBhcfWO.png

Okay, it's really awesome to see this being worked on still.  :D

Banner2.png

Check out my comics!

I remember the days when this topic got eleven new posts in one day... so much memories

Yeah, well. The interest is still definitely in existence, but... I mean, after a while, what's left to talk about? :P

I'm just glad Katuko still finds time now and then to keep working on this project. It's really an enjoyable game, with a lot of potential.

So you mentioned something about a "paid project" can we get some insight on that? (it's not Half-life 3 is it.)

Me and someone I know is being paid by a small local business to make the prototype of what is best described as an accounting program interface on the web. I can't really divulge any details beyond that, as we've signed a contract forbidding us from doing so. It's not a super project, but it's one that I hope will work as a springboard into future projects and possibly employment. :)

I've been following this project for a while and want to try my hand at creating a level (both coding and art). I know you posted the Gamemaker source file for the game somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. If you have it or better yet a more recent source file for the Gamemaker 8.0/8.1(?) version I would love to get a look at it. I have a little experience in Gamemaker, so anything I might do would just be for myself unless I find it to be worth mention.

20800.jpg

Gamemaker source file

I ended up removing it from the web, since it got outdated and is also very much a mess to look at. I am currently working on a new engine, though it takes a while. I'd prefer not to use the old engine for new stuff any more, because it's slowly gotten more and more bloated and prone to errors, especially after the switch to Windows 8.

The maps are set up in a very simple manner, though. After making a full in Photoshop, I divide it into slices of 512x512 pixels (anything larger runs the risk of glitching on older computers) which are then exported in bulk via the option for Web & Devices. This export option also lets you save the coordinates of each slice in a CSS file, making it easy to port over into an array in GameMaker.

Each map script consists of an array holding the wall pieces and their coordinates, which is looped through and placed when the map is entered in-game. Each wall piece is marked with a terrain type, which is (primarily) used to produce footstep noises. Some maps use graphics for things which are not made of solid material. One example would be the grass on Kini-Nui. Here, I save two slices - one with the background image, and one black silhouette with the actual collision mask. The collision mask is loaded into the map's wall array, and the graphics into its background array. Water and other such things are placed much the same way. Single items such as lifts or teleport pads are placed manually in this script, using only a call to instance_create().

I was thinking of making map files external, so they are perhaps easier to add and test, but I haven't gotten there with the old engine.

If you wish to test-run something, I'd advice you to do what I do nowadays, and just stuff everything into a blank project with the bare minimum of resources. The main game project file takes so long to load and test run (old GM version, large size) that I've grown exceptionally tired of it. :P

Ah, and if you did look at my years-old source, you'd cringe at how bad it is. ;)

Edited by Katuko

• 2 weeks later...

Screenshots to prove that I have a few things in the works.

Broken_V_WIP_Screen001.png

There are three types of flight available: Levitation, which allows you to jump much higher, slow your falls, and stay in the air for a period of time; gliding, which gives you slightly increased horizontal movement speed as well as the ability to float up and down; and full-speed flight, which makes you travel quickly in any direction, but which also has wide turns and forces you to stay in motion.

Broken_V_WIP_Screen003.png

Deflecting a test projectile with a Rhotuka shield. And yes, your character looks in the direction they aim the shield. :)

Edited by Katuko
  • Upvote 4

Screenshots to prove that I have a few things in the works.

Broken_V_WIP_Screen001.png

There are three types of flight available: Levitation, which allows you to jump much higher, slow your falls, and stay in the air for a period of time; gliding, which gives you slightly increased horizontal movement speed as well as the ability to float up and down; and full-speed flight, which makes you travel quickly in any direction, but which also has wide turns and forces you to stay in motion.

Broken_V_WIP_Screen003.png

Deflecting a test projectile with a Rhotuka shield. And y ;) es, your character looks in the direction they aim the shield. :)

Wonderful to see his news!  :D I was wondering why this was suddenly a Hot Thread  ^_^

Banner2.png

Check out my comics!

I had an idea for a weapon; do you guys remember Balta's repulser swords? When he crosses them, they strike the attacker with the same force that they were hit with, resulting in the attacker suddenly being attacked. I was thinking that might be a cool weapon to have (for a matoran or something like that) so that they can use them against the big ppl. It would basically take any blow or attack made on them, and apply it to the attacker instead, including staggering and such.

While we're at it, if we're making Matoran playable, might as well include the other Voya Nui weapons as well hahaha :P But that's just an idea, I have no idea if it's a realistic one or not.

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I had an idea for a weapon; do you guys remember Balta's repulser swords? When he crosses them, they strike the attacker with the same force that they were hit with, resulting in the attacker suddenly being attacked. I was thinking that might be a cool weapon to have (for a matoran or something like that) so that they can use them against the big ppl. It would basically take any blow or attack made on them, and apply it to the attacker instead, including staggering and such.

While we're at it, if we're making Matoran playable, might as well include the other Voya Nui weapons as well hahaha :P But that's just an idea, I have no idea if it's a realistic one or not.

Wouldn't be all that hard to code, so we'll see if that can't be a weapon power. I was actually considering something very similar for Magnetism's "charge weapon" elemental trait, so sticking the same effect on a specific pair of weapons would be trivial once the script is made.

I had actually forgotten about the Voyatoran weapons, mostly because they're re-purposed Toa tool pieces. If added, should I make any effort to distinguish their sprites in-game? Potentially I could just add repulsion as an option for Matoran weapon powers, but I don't know how to balance this.

You could give the Matoran weapons an edge that is the same color as the wielder's glow color. For example, if my glow color is bright red and I had Balta's repulsor swords, they would look like Lewa's air katana, but with a glowing red edge.

• Upvote 2

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

Wouldn't be all that hard to code, so we'll see if that can't be a weapon power. I was actually considering something very similar for Magnetism's "charge weapon" elemental trait, so sticking the same effect on a specific pair of weapons would be trivial once the script is made.

I had actually forgotten about the Voyatoran weapons, mostly because they're re-purposed Toa tool pieces. If added, should I make any effort to distinguish their sprites in-game? Potentially I could just add repulsion as an option for Matoran weapon powers, but I don't know how to balance this.

This definitely sounds like a cool idea.  I definitely think that the sprites should be distinguished so that they will be distintcly different weapons to anyone who doesn't know the storyline and/or sets. Garan's pulse blades could be made into a gun-type weapon.

Also, I was thinking that maybe you could use these custom elemental symbols that I made a little while back, perhaps in the character creation or something.  just an idea :)

20795.jpg

I don't remember if I mentioned this before but The calix technically makes you perform at your physical peak. So why not make it boost your points for a short time?

Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do great things.

It's called garbage can, not garbage cannot!