Anyone Else Like This Idea?

I recently came across this interesting image on BS01, and it shows that at some point they considered giving Mata Nui the ability to curl up into a planetoid shape while travelling through space. I thought it was a pretty interesting concept, especially if Mata Nui could create the same landmass that he does with his island/mask thing around his entire body, thus becoming a "planet." Since Greg has confirmed that Mata Nui didn't necessarily land on every planet he studied (since obviously some planets wouldn't have large enough bodies of water for him to submerge in), and he would have to observe some from space, it would only make sense that Mata Nui would disguise himself as a moon or a far-off planet or a star or something in the event that he couldn't personally land on the planet itself disguised as an island.So my question is, do you think this would have been a good idea or would have worked in the story? I could see why some might believe this might be a little bit of a rip-off of Transformers or something, but I still think it's an interesting idea nonetheless that would have worked well with the whole "Island of Mata Nui" thing.

I like it, as it would be Bohrok-esque, and your reasoning makes some sense, but it would be hard to really pull off with the design we actually got. And I think since he does land if he can, he needs to be able to cloak, so could just do that if he doesn't land. A close flyby of what seems to be a big planet would probably terrify a populace.

Edited by bonesiii
lol da typorz!

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I liked the idea. I thought it would've been cool to keep in the story. Especially if the MU had stayed in that form when Teridax landed on Bara Magna. Even though I know that wouldn't have happened, I still think it would have been awesome. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I want to see this image. But for some reason Biosector01 won't work for me. Can someone post the image here so I can see itEdit. Scratch that. Biosector is working for me now.Now looking at that. I think it is a cool idea. If used in the story it would have given Teridax an element of surprise when he attacked Bara Magna.

Edited by Oxymoronaphobia

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

A close flyby of what seems to be a big planet would probably terrify a populus.

I think the word you're looking for is populace, bones, as populus appears to refer to a genus of trees, which I'd hazard to guess are not easily scared. :P

Now looking at that. I think it is a cool idea. If used in the story it would have given Teridax an element of surprise when he attacked Bara Magna.

I fail to see how inhabitants of a planet would not be surprised by a giant moon/planet closing in on them instead of a giant robot.~B~ Edited by Ballom

I like it, as it would be Bohrok-esque, and your reasoning makes some sense, but it would be hard to really pull off with the design we actually got. And I think since he does land if he can, he needs to be able to cloak, so could just do that if he doesn't land. A close flyby of what seems to be a big planet would probably terrify a populus.

Did Greg ever confirm anything about him cloaking? BS01 doesn't seem to say much about the matter besides the Island of Mata Nui and the Bohrok.

I fail to see how inhabitants of a planet would not be surprised by a giant moon/planet closing in on them instead of a giant robot.~B~

Well yeah, when Mata Nui is landing on a planet or orbiting it wouldn't really matter what he looked like, would it? :P I guess in that situation it wouldn't matter, but maybe it would if he was farther away and not right in their faces in orbit. Edited by Anti Nui

Now looking at that. I think it is a cool idea. If used in the story it would have given Teridax an element of surprise when he attacked Bara Magna.

I fail to see how inhabitants of a planet would not be surprised by a giant moon/planet closing in on them instead of a giant robot.~B~
Well, seeing as Bota Magna and Aqua Magna closed in on Bara Magna, 'tis routine intergalactic target practice. :PSeriously, however, this idea would have been useful and really, really creepy if used. I would have liked to have seen it employed, although the cloaking system renders it a needless oddity.

I like it, as it would be Bohrok-esque, and your reasoning makes some sense, but it would be hard to really pull off with the design we actually got. And I think since he does land if he can, he needs to be able to cloak, so could just do that if he doesn't land. A close flyby of what seems to be a big planet would probably terrify a populus.

Did Greg ever confirm anything about him cloaking? BS01 doesn't seem to say much about the matter besides the Island of Mata Nui and the Bohrok.
I don't think so, but I think we can assume so. Bear with me on this chain of reasoning.We saw Makuta, in control of the Mata Nui robot, controlling the element of Gravity. Also according to my old theory on "how the end made sense" the giant robot must also have been able to weild a planet-fusing power to handle various problems of re-entry, reshaping, etc. Gravity is an element among the powers of protodermis inside the MU.Another protodermic power in the MU is invisibility. So it seems almost certain that the giant robot could weild any of the elemental powers and probably many of the basic non-elemental powers. So Strength, Telekinesis, Concealment, etc. Thus, that would include cloaking. Not confirmed but seems highly likely.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I like the idea. As people have said it fits with the whole Bohrok thing. Slightly off topic: Is that scale with the Makuta versus prototype robot there for real? Even the bigger suggestion is ridiculously small by comparison. Makuta could have stomped either of those out.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

Pretty sure that scale is not correct; the one shown in the comics is more like it for example.

I think it might have been quite cool. But he'd have to be on the lookout for this guy.Transformers-Unicron.jpg
Errrr...yeah, I kinda thought about that too. :PBut it seems plausible, and probably better than the alternative of crash-landing on every planet he needed to observe.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

I think it might have been quite cool. But he'd have to be on the lookout for this guy.Transformers-Unicron.jpg
Errrr...yeah, I kinda thought about that too. :PBut it seems plausible, and probably better than the alternative of crash-landing on every planet he needed to observe.
I don't think he crash-landed; probably more like stepping into the ocean and gracefully laying down. :P

I really have a problem with that method of 'observing'. Wasn't it supposed to be discreet? A 40 million foot-tall robot lands on a planet and the locals don't notice? Not to mention the sudden heightening of sea levels from him occupying all of that space in their oceans.

Kumata, that's why I've theorized that whatever would cause him to be noticed is handled by a power. The water level especially can be handled by absorbing the displacement about into elemental energy and storing it until he stands up. This fits the CGI video of him standing up in fact, as there are little to no waves created (though in real life that was likely just an animation limitation).Keep in mind we know he could use the Gravity element, and Water is another MU element.Also Concealment is an MU power, etc. Anything that would be a problem can be handled and this is probably the exact reason the GBs chose to use protodermis to build him in the first place. :)

The only other issue I can think of is why he lands on a planet at all, then. Let's say he encounters a world that is either too small or densely-populated for him to fit on. What do you suppose happens then? Him curling into a ball and having the camoflage system cover his whole body might work there, as he could observe the world from a distance as an innocuous planetoid, using his gravity powers to negate any possible influence his mass might have on the planet he's observing.

Hmm, what could this mean for the canon?Mata Nui tricks Makuta into switching bodies, turns into a giant planet and then crushes Teridax thus causing Armageddon for all parties involved. Why, yes, I do like the sound of that. ^^Actually, the idea of Mata Nui having a greater camouflage system than the island face is an interesting idea. (Pfft, now I'm just imagining Mata Nui being picked on at school by the other robots"Island face! Island face! Mata Nui has an island face!"And then Mata Nui transforms into a planet and crushes them all. I'd like to see that, actually. Mata Nui crushing his enemies as a giant planet. Sounds like good times. XD).

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

It'd be cool in animation. Teridax lands on Bara Magna in his ball form, with the Mata Nui robot taller. But as Teridax unfolds, he turns out to be taller, stronger, and cooler than the MN robot.
Would anybody on BZP actually be able to animate that?

Nuparu1995

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

I really like this idea, though I don't know how necessary it would be to the story. I mean, the important part is that he makes it to these planets undetected; since no one sees him, it's not necessary to know for sure if he flies there in a ball form, or if he flies through space like Superman. (Sort of like the old saying "If a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound?") Then again, it is a lot of fun seculating. :PThe only downside to this is that the totally epic image of Makuta in the MU-robot launching off of Aqua Magna wouldn't be nearly as awesome if he had to curl up in ball form first. :P

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

I never payed much attention to that particular sketch, but now that you bring it up, it's a very interesting concept. I like the idea of him becoming a medium-sized planetoid in the instances where he can't land on the planet he's observing.

It'd be cool in animation. Teridax lands on Bara Magna in his ball form, with the Mata Nui robot taller. But as Teridax unfolds, he turns out to be taller, stronger, and cooler than the MN robot.
Just wait. I'll bet you've given the B:NG team an idea. (hint-hint, guys...)signoffffff.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I never payed much attention to that particular sketch, but now that you bring it up, it's a very interesting concept. I like the idea of him becoming a medium-sized planetoid in the instances where he can't land on the planet he's observing.
Just wait. I'll bet you've given the B:NG team an idea. (hint-hint, guys...)signoffffff.png
Lulzicwatudidthar!!! ;)

Nuparu1995

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Well that seems interesting.But I understand why it was cut, I mean what if the original plan was to have the beings LIVE ON TOP of the Mata Nui robot, that would cause some problems...

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis