Memes Take Over

zsdiogo

OK... Ponies aren't manly, and neither is pink. If man watches show with pink ponies and then shoves it in the faces of people who don't care about said show, man will get laughed off the face of the earth. Man will lose his man-card, and the respect of his peers, in all likelihood. Also, I have a rocket launcher, so any counter arguments are invalid.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Maybe because it's not a fad? Maybe because we're actual fans of the show? :shrug:

OK... Ponies aren't manly, and neither is pink. If man watches show with pink ponies and then shoves it in the faces of people who don't care about said show, man will get laughed off the face of the earth. Man will lose his man-card, and the respect of his peers, in all likelihood.

The "being manly" stereotype is way overrated. I wonder when we'll have another staff fad/meme...

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Why are you guys defending the MLP fad? It's like JB fans talking to haters. I don't really think there'll be an agreement in the end..I just wanted to say that.

I personally don't see why they have to talk about it here. It's one thing to watch the show - I couldn't care less if they did - but then they have to go here and talk about it (which is my only problem with these MLP fanboys), and whenever someone says something along the lines of "Ponies are for girls/There are better cartoons", they absolutely blow up. They need a thicker skin; people can feel strongly about different topics, and some people aren't afraid to speak their mind, bluntly. If you encounter one such person, and he/she has opinions that are different than yours (which is almost a certainty), you need to understand that it's just an opinion. Let it roll off your back, and keep going. Now if they actually have a solid argument that makes your opinion look like Swiss cheese, that's a different story, obviously. P.S: Don't get me started on JB. <_<

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

OK... Ponies aren't manly, and neither is pink. If man watches show with pink ponies and then shoves it in the faces of people who don't care about said show, man will get laughed off the face of the earth. Man will lose his man-card, and the respect of his peers, in all likelihood.

1. One pink pony, and 2. Why should a guy get "laughed off the face of the earth" for watching a show for girls? There are girls here, on a site devoted to a "boy's" toy line; why can't the same hold true for guys? Have you seen an episode? It might help you form a more well-informed opinion about why you don't like the show, at least.

Also, I have a rocket launcher, so any counter arguments are invalid.

You can't fire a rocket launcher through the internet. :P

I personally don't see why they have to talk about it here.

There's a Doctor Who topic here, but I don't see anyone saying they shouldn't have Doctor Who banners, or avs, or a COT topic.

It's one thing to watch the show - I couldn't care less if they did - but then they have to go here and talk about it (which is my only problem with these MLP fanboys), and whenever someone says something along the lines of "Ponies are for girls/There are better cartoons", they absolutely blow up. They need a thicker skin; people can feel strongly about different topics, and some people aren't afraid to speak their mind, bluntly. If you encounter one such person, and he/she has opinions that are different than yours (which is almost a certainty), you need to understand that it's just an opinion. Let it roll off your back, and keep going. Now if they actually have a solid argument that makes your opinion look like Swiss cheese, that's a different story, obviously. P.S: Don't get me started on JB. <_<

I'm not blowing up; I'm trying to have a reasonable discussion about why people disapprove so strongly of our interests. Thing is, a lot of the people who say they don't like MLP only have "it's a girl's show" as a reason. Edited by --Calamity--
19704_s.gif

Why are you guys defending the MLP fad? It's like JB fans talking to haters. I don't really think there'll be an agreement in the end..I just wanted to say that.

I personally don't see why they have to talk about it here. It's one thing to watch the show - I couldn't care less if they did - but then they have to go here and talk about it (which is my only problem with these MLP fanboys), and whenever someone says something along the lines of "Ponies are for girls/There are better cartoons", they absolutely blow up. They need a thicker skin; people can feel strongly about different topics, and some people aren't afraid to speak their mind, bluntly. If you encounter one such person, and he/she has opinions that are different than yours (which is almost a certainty), you need to understand that it's just an opinion. Let it roll off your back, and keep going. Now if they actually have a solid argument that makes your opinion look like Swiss cheese, that's a different story, obviously.
Oh, I appreciate differing opinions, I just loathe it when people are blunt about it.Same goes for fans, btw.

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

1. One pink pony, and 2. Why should a guy get "laughed off the face of the earth" for watching a show for girls? There are girls here, on a site devoted to a "boy's" toy line; why can't the same hold true for guys? Have you seen an episode? It might help you form a more well-informed opinion about why you don't like the show, at least.

Also, I have a rocket launcher, so any counter arguments are invalid.

You can't fire a rocket launcher through the internet. :P

I personally don't see why they have to talk about it here.

There's a Doctor Who topic here, but I don't see anyone saying they shouldn't have Doctor Who banners, or avs, or a COT topic.

It's one thing to watch the show - I couldn't care less if they did - but then they have to go here and talk about it (which is my only problem with these MLP fanboys), and whenever someone says something along the lines of "Ponies are for girls/There are better cartoons", they absolutely blow up. They need a thicker skin; people can feel strongly about different topics, and some people aren't afraid to speak their mind, bluntly. If you encounter one such person, and he/she has opinions that are different than yours (which is almost a certainty), you need to understand that it's just an opinion. Let it roll off your back, and keep going. Now if they actually have a solid argument that makes your opinion look like Swiss cheese, that's a different story, obviously. P.S: Don't get me started on JB. <_<

I'm not blowing up; I'm trying to have a reasonable discussion about why people disapprove so strongly of our interests. Thing is, a lot of the people who say they don't like MLP only have "it's a girl's show" as a reason.
Simple experiment: Try telling 10 people in real life you watch MLP (especially siblings, if you have any). What's their average response? And yes, I have seen a few episodes - I personally find other cartoons much better. Also, the reason most people don't care about DW topics and sigs is that DW != MLP - DW is not a girly show (last I checked). If guys want to watch MLP, I have no problem with that, although I don't exactly like seeing ponies once every other sig. It's your reaction to criticism that bugs me.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Simple experiment: Try telling 10 people in real life you watch MLP (especially siblings, if you have any). What's their average response?

Told 5 so far, even a couple of die hard metal fans and opposed to most things "girly". Every single one had a positive response. :P

f9Qcky7.png

Simple experiment: Try telling 10 people in real life you watch MLP (especially siblings, if you have any). What's their average response?

Told 5 so far, even a couple of die hard metal fans and opposed to most things "girly". Every single one had a positive response. :P
Either 1) They haven't seen the show, and/or 2) you haven't shown them how obsessed you are with it :P

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Simple experiment: Try telling 10 people in real life you watch MLP (especially siblings, if you have any).

My brother is a brony, and most of the people I know are either bronies/pegasisters or don't really care.

If guys want to watch MLP, I have no problem with that, although I don't exactly like seeing ponies once every other sig.

People put pictures of things they like in their sig. You can't really change that.

It's your reaction to criticism that bugs me.

I'm here having a civil discussion with you, aren't I?
19704_s.gif

I've told two family members (siblings) and they don't have any problems with it. Now that isn't exactly enough to have an 'average' response, but I know both of them oppose 'girly' things.

If guys want to watch MLP, I have no problem with that, although I don't exactly like seeing ponies once every other sig. It's your reaction to criticism that bugs me.

I haven't blown up or otherwise lost my temper because someone criticized me for watching it, I tolerate opinions and criticism. -Skar

Holy cats, is there anywhere on the internet where saying the word "ponies" isn't like throwing a match into gasoline? Personally, I can't say I'm a fan of MLP, and I am getting a little sick of seeing it absolutely everywhere. But I got no reason to argue with fans; usually they keep it to a single topic and their sigs/avatars. As long as they don't start dragging it into topics discussing something completely different, I can (as the meme would have it) "deal with it". So yes, MLP has become very commonplace, and no, it's not going to do any good to argue back and forth about it. On the internet, everyone is wrong.

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Either 1) They haven't seen the show, and/or 2) you haven't shown them how obsessed you are with it :P
1) They're starting to watch.2) I'm not obsessed, I probably like MLP as much as I do Bionicle, Star Trek, Star Wars, Mass Effect and Transformers etc. :P Alas, there's only as much allowed sig space (by my choice) as I'm having right now. xD

f9Qcky7.png

Holy cats, is there anywhere on the internet where saying the word "ponies" isn't like throwing a match into gasoline? Personally, I can't say I'm a fan of MLP, and I am getting a little sick of seeing it absolutely everywhere. But I got no reason to argue with fans; usually they keep it to a single topic and their sigs/avatars. As long as they don't start dragging it into topics discussing something completely different, I can (as the meme would have it) "deal with it". So yes, MLP has become very commonplace, and no, it's not going to do any good to argue back and forth about it. On the internet, everyone is wrong.

Agreed. Back and forth arguing isn't going to get us anywhere, and I just discovered the "ignore signature" feature ^_^.

I've told two family members (siblings) and they don't have any problems with it. Now that isn't exactly enough to have an 'average' response, but I know both of them oppose 'girly' things.

If guys want to watch MLP, I have no problem with that, although I don't exactly like seeing ponies once every other sig. It's your reaction to criticism that bugs me.

I haven't blown up or otherwise lost my temper because someone criticized me for watching it, I tolerate opinions and criticism. -Skar
I never said you did, but MLP fans do that, as a rule (at least the majority of the 50-odd ones I've seen).

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Agreed. Back and forth arguing isn't going to get us anywhere, and I just discovered the "ignore signature" feature ^_^.

I never said you did, but MLP fans do that, as a rule (at least the majority of the 50-odd ones I've seen).
I kinda am one, and I didn't lose my temper. Maybe they blow up about it because it's received so much hate, and they've been hated on as well. I'm not accusing you of hating anything, but I'd get sick of constant bashing and hating after a while too. -Skar Edited by Skarloth

Funny how a topic that was started on memes has quickly developed into a discussion on ponies. I don't mind too much though. I'm a brony (or a pegasister, if you want to be more specific). I love all the brony stuff I've seen floating around. They're not hurting anyone. Actually, bronies are being quite civil about everything, as demonstrated by the majority of bronies who have posted in this topic. They're just like any other large group of fans. Let them have their fun, things'll move on eventually.

Edited by Toa Novu

zolfbanner.jpg

So take my hand, Now you'll never be lonely, Not when I'm home, sweet home

I see your star, you left it burning for me

Mother, I'm here

Thing is, this topic should've been moving away from pony/pegasister/brony talk for a while now, but it keeps being brought up.

Edited by Valenti

f9Qcky7.png

Thing is, this topic should've been moving away from pony/pegasister/brony talk for a while now, but it keeps being brought up.

It makes sense, seeing as it appears to be the biggest meme going on right now. It's the same as when any other meme is going really strong. Edited by Toa Novu

zolfbanner.jpg

Mother, I'm here

whatevertahu.jpg And I'm going to go off and sulk now. Anyway, we do need our internal memes back. BZP is a colder place without them.

I sense a "Hamlet" reference with this picture... :mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:
Alas, poor Takanuva! I knew him, Lewa, a fellow of infinite light, of most excellent courage.

G A Y   A S   H E C K

But this isn't exactly a Meme, people aren't randomly copying pony avatars and banners just for the heck of it, they're actual fans. This is more like a fandom attack than a fad or meme. -Skar

Well, it's obvious that some people at the very least started watching it originally as a result of the meme/fad/whatever-it's-called, which is enough to qualify the show and fandom as a part of a meme. Anyway, I'm not really seeing a particularly greater amount of people referring to memes. Most likely, the original poster saw that the pool of memes is more restricted (those partaking in memes turn to ponies, not 92-8 or "BURN STUFF"), giving the impression that there is more participation in memes. Ponies are currently biggest, strongest, and have relatively little competition. ~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

I have seen some harsh criticism from both bronies and non-bronies, but more from anti-bronies. Really, I'm okay with criticism as long as: a. They have at least tried to watch an episode.b. When they have watched the episode, they have criticism beyond "it's girly."c. They respect that bronies will use brony avvies and banners. I'm more of a brony online because there's not a lot of people in real life I know enough to talk about it with.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I have seen some harsh criticism from both bronies and non-bronies, but more from anti-bronies. Really, I'm okay with criticism as long as: a. They have at least tried to watch an episode.b. When they have watched the episode, they have criticism beyond "it's girly."c. They respect that bronies will use brony avvies and banners. I'm more of a brony online because there's not a lot of people in real life I know enough to talk about it with.

Agreed. And I'm a Brony online only, since there is literally no one I know in real life that is a fan of the show. -Skar

But this isn't exactly a Meme, people aren't randomly copying pony avatars and banners just for the heck of it, they're actual fans. This is more like a fandom attack than a fad or meme. -Skar

Well, it's obvious that some people at the very least started watching it originally as a result of the meme/fad/whatever-it's-called, which is enough to qualify the show and fandom as a part of a meme. Anyway, I'm not really seeing a particularly greater amount of people referring to memes. Most likely, the original poster saw that the pool of memes is more restricted (those partaking in memes turn to ponies, not 92-8 or "BURN STUFF"), giving the impression that there is more participation in memes. Ponies are currently biggest, strongest, and have relatively little competition. ~ BioGio
Going off of that, I think another reason ponies have become so popular on this site is the fact that it fits the family friendly atmosphere of BZP (for the most part, anyway). While there are plenty of other memes that are family friendly, they currently aren't as popular as ponies.

zolfbanner.jpg

Mother, I'm here

Agreed. And I'm a Brony online only, since there is literally no one I know in real life that is a fan of the show. -Skar
Yes, BZP is a pony outlet for most bronies. From what I see, most bronies are tolerant to (reasoned) ideas of others. If someone says, "Oh, that's girly, it's stupid you watch a girls' show," of course we'll be bit mad.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

OK... Ponies aren't manly, and neither is pink. If man watches show with pink ponies and then shoves it in the faces of people who don't care about said show, man will get laughed off the face of the earth. Man will lose his man-card, and the respect of his peers, in all likelihood. Also, I have a rocket launcher, so any counter arguments are invalid.

Oooohh... outdated gender stereotypes! Retro! Wait... A-are you going to try to take away my woman-card because I like Bionicle, too?

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Oooohh... outdated gender stereotypes! Retro! Wait... A-are you going to try to take away my woman-card because I like Bionicle, too?
I didn't know woman cards existed. Did they just not bother giving me one since I've been a tomboy for as long as I can remember? :innocent: Anyway, yeah, gender stereotypes will probably stick around forever. The question is will they stay the same stereotypes? Even so recently as the mid 1900s, pink was seen as a boys color, and blue a girls. Things like that tend to shift with public opinion.

zolfbanner.jpg

Mother, I'm here

Another thing, bronies don't "shove it in the faces of people who don't care." We try to encourage people to be open to it. If you (after actually watching an episode) decide you don't like it, I'm okay with that. Just saying "I don't like it because it's a girls' show" is ignorant, outdated sexism.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Oooohh... outdated gender stereotypes! Retro! Wait... A-are you going to try to take away my woman-card because I likeBionicle, too?
Women don't get card[/sexist] :P jkGuys it isn't really THAT girly. It's unisex.

Oooohh... outdated gender stereotypes! Retro! Wait... A-are you going to try to take away  my woman-card because I likeBionicle, too?
Women don't get card[/sexist] :P jkGuys it isn't really THAT girly. It's unisex.
It is pretty girly.There's nothing wrong with that.

AXKP5KC.png

Oooohh... outdated gender stereotypes! Retro! Wait... A-are you going to try to take away my woman-card because I likeBionicle, too?
Women don't get card[/sexist] :P jk Guys it isn't really THAT girly. It's unisex.
It's targeted towards girls, so I'd say it's girly. :P Although the fandom has made some stuff that would definitely not be considered girly by any means. *looks at banner* Edited by --Calamity--
19704_s.gif