Memes Take Over

zsdiogo

I think the fanbase for MLP lends itself to being pretty defensive and assertive about our enjoyment for the show just because of the typical reaction we get when one of us tells our friends we enjoy My Little Pony. :P I think for many of us we're so eager to try and convert people to the show just to be sure there's no, err...misunderstanding as it were. Of course, another strange aspect of this fanbase is how many of us (including myself) get sucked in so quickly despite having held some skepticism going in and emerging with a lot of surprise at how fanatical we've become over a bunch of magical talking ponies. So we're eager to see if our friends fall for it as quickly as we did. Then again, I'm not sure why MLP gets to be considered a "meme" or a "fad" here while other TV shows don't. There's plenty of Doctor Who or Pokemon or Transformers banners and avatars around, and it seems like that gets to be considered more legitimate somehow. Certainly there's a wave of enthusiasm for MLP right now that will die down at some point (so in that regard it's like a fad), but in the end there will still be a fair number of people with MLP banners/avatars around, it's not like it's going to all vanish in a couple of months. We're just expressing love for the show - if I were to call Doctor Who a "fad" I'd probably have to answer to a couple of angry Doctor Who fans here. :P

I believe it is considered a more of a meme then things like Docter Who or Transformers because it has certain elements that are less convententional or expectation in accord with society and sparks more interest in people. For example, a bunch of guys showing interest in what is generaly viewed a girls show is interesting and ironic. Vs. Transformers, which doesn't have an unexpected fanbase.

"Don't! They will kill you like a small dog. Instead let your anger be as if it were a monkey on a treadmill; confused and tripping around." -Lelouch of Britania- (Here is my BZPRPG Profile, Diotrua.) 

09972482fe0243bdf1778f84fd5d61d1.gif

I find it interesting how this topic went from Internet memes to human nature and social movements in the '80s.

We are merely trying to discuss and understand better how the outcomes and the developements of memes are created and how they are formed through human reasoning. Also, think of the best possible solutions how to better discuss disagreements that form from memes. It still is on topic and is to me at least very interesting discussion. I think the '80s is relivent in the context of what we are talking about and more of an example than the main focus. Edited by TrueshadowX01

"Don't! They will kill you like a small dog. Instead let your anger be as if it were a monkey on a treadmill; confused and tripping around." -Lelouch of Britania- (Here is my BZPRPG Profile, Diotrua.) 

I find it interesting how this topic went from Internet memes to human nature and social movements in the '80s.

We are merely trying to discuss and understand better how the outcomes and the developements of memes are created and how they are formed through human reasoning. Also, think of the best possible solutions how to better discuss disagreements that form from memes. It still is on topic and is to me at least very interesting discussion. I think the '80s is relivent in the context of what we are talking about and more of an example than the main focus.
It probably would help your mature discussion if you could spell "relevant" correctly. :)Anyway, social movements in the '80's really have very little to do with memes at all, and psychology, while very interesting, cuts a little deeper than a topic about trollfaces and ponies in a children's toy forum was intended to go.Disagreements form from memes because people have differing opinions. It's as simple as that; human nature.The intended topic of discussion, I believe, was memes and how they affect BZPower.Not trying to play the staff; just trying to point out a few flaws in your argument.

We are merely trying to discuss and understand better how the outcomes and the developements of memes are created and how they are formed through human reasoning. Also, think of the best possible solutions how to better discuss disagreements that form from memes. It still is on topic and is to me at least very interesting discussion. I think the '80s is relivent in the context of what we are talking about and more of an example than the main focus.
It probably would help your mature discussion if you could spell "relevant" correctly. file:///C:UsersJonathanAppDataLocalTempmsohtmlclip11clip_image001.pngAnyway, social movements in the '80's really have very little to do with memes at all, and psychology, while very interesting, cuts a little deeper than a topic about trollfaces and ponies in a children's toy forum was intended to go.Disagreements form from memes because people have differing opinions. It's as simple as that; human nature.The intended topic of discussion, I believe, was memes and how they affect BZPower.Not trying to play the staff; just trying to point out a few flaws in your argument.
Yeah... I see what you are saying. I suppose I got a little carried away in looking a little too deep into the small aspects by exploring them in too great of detail. Although, I would say spelling error is a fairly common issue for the majority of people, regardless of age. This is primary from over reliance of "spell check". I simply forgot to check for errors, most people do that these days and age is not a factor here. I am neither a grammar enthusiast nor an English teacher. However, as long as people understand my general points of my argument; grammar errors and typos are beside the point. This does not, in fact, less the intellectual level of understanding nor does it measure the level of intelligence of which my argument is presented; it merely appears rushed and sloppy. Thank you for your observation. Edited by TrueshadowX01

Considering the Brony culture has spread so wide, it was only a matter of time before MLP invaded BZP.Although I'm not a fan my self, I see no problems with it. It'll fade like the other memes, albeit slower.I'm hoping for an HP fad next. :P

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

@nightrider2000. i saw the war vs bronies video, and i liked it other than the language. and you have a robotech macross action figure? lucky.yeah i skipped a couple pages, but it probably was just more flame warsand this was so funny:http://www.swfcabin.com/swf-files/1267927742.swf

Edited by Bulik

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

... Well I WAS quoting nothing but Full Metal Jacket few weeks ago...But that wouldn't be appropriate for BZP.

Everyone who sees that movie winds up quoting it incessantly for a while afterwards. I was certainly no exception. :lol:MLP and Clockwork Orange...that needs to happen.

If you want to see what became of me... I became a brony fan fiction writer.

I personally hope that this fad dies out quickly and quietly, and is replaced by something more mature, like Stanley Kubrick movies.

tumblr_lntnzmRkgA1qlgbkjo1_500.jpgNothing can replace MLP. If they try, they merely get absorbed into the fandom.FOREVER
*steals image*Seriously, that's great. And Clockwork Orange is my favourite Kubrick movie as well. :D

Oh no... I've read right through this topic, what most of us thought....I thought we all felt something... I know I felt it... through all of the best social experience of my life I was being immature about this fandom?! That more people despise it than embrace it?! I am so stupid! By now, I should have learned: one hater is worth 10,000 of a lover!I was a fool to believe being a Brony would make a difference. Nothing makes any difference! Once a loser, always a loser!I give up. I've had it with being a Brony! It's just not worth it! I'm going where no pony will ever frustrate me again!..

~ CHTrilogy

:flagusa: VICTORY :nahnah: :takepic:

I was a fool :giveup:

you said it xDthe cake is a lie meme is overused, even in portal 2 xD.and who madehttp-~~-//www.swfcabin.com/swf-files/1267927742.swfbecause i'd like to see a cave johnson lemon rant one. censored, of course.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Oh no... I've read right through this topic, what most of us thought....I thought we all felt something... I know I felt it... through all of the best social experience of my life I was being immature about this fandom?! That more people despise it than embrace it?! I am so stupid! By now, I should have learned: one hater is worth 10,000 of a lover!I was a fool to believe being a Brony would make a difference. Nothing makes any difference! Once a loser, always a loser!I give up. I've had it with being a Brony! It's just not worth it! I'm going where no pony will ever frustrate me again!..

And so we lose a brother. :crying:Cake was a lie was old years ago.

charr_sig.jpg

With the clamor of anvils and the thunder of guns, we rip each day from life's teeth.

Screw the haters and love what you love. If they don't like you for what you enjoy then it's their problem, you shouldn't have to succumb to their wishes simply because they don't enjoy the same things you do.Just take their hatred and scoff at it because we all know that hating somebody because of what they enjoy is just stupid and gets them nowhere. Their burning hatred should be the flame that fuels your passion for what you enjoy, nothing more.But if you really want to leave a fandom because of what other people think about you, then fine. Be my guest. :)

G A Y   A S   H E C K

Screw the haters and love what you love. If they don't like you for what you enjoy then it's their problem, you shouldn't have to succumb to their wishes simply because they don't enjoy the same things you do.Just take their hatred and scoff at it because we all know that hating somebody because of what they enjoy is just stupid and gets them nowhere. Their burning hatred should be the flame that fuels your passion for what you enjoy, nothing more.But if you really want to leave a fandom because of what other people think about you, then fine. Be my guest. :)
"But if I'm a fan of My Little Pony, the people on the internet won't think I'm cool!"

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 100 KB!

I couldn't help but lol.Anyway, I'm sure a new meme will burst out of the ground around here some time.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Oh no... I've read right through this topic, what most of us thought....I thought we all felt something... I know I felt it... through all of the best social experience of my life I was being immature about this fandom?! That more people despise it than embrace it?!

I think there are more people who are just sorta "eh" to it than there are lovers and haters. :lol: And that's true of absolutely everything. The beauty of the internet is that the "eh"-crowd is invisible, because we all hang around the websites where there's either lots of lovers or lots of haters. In some cases a little of both. But those people who are not all that interested? They never ventured into those websites to begin with. :P

Also, I say we make a Full Metal Jacket meme.

HECK, I LIKE YOUR IDEA, PRIVATE! YOU CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND MEET MY SISTER - SHE'D LIKE THAT IDEA TOO!

fullmetaljacket.jpg

Edited by lavaside rahi

If you want to see what became of me... I became a brony fan fiction writer.

"But if I'm a fan of My Little Pony, the people on the internet won't think I'm cool!"
Now that's not true! I'm doing it for my own protection! It's one less thing to worry about anyway.

~ CHTrilogy

Now that's not true! I'm doing it for my own protection! It's one less thing to worry about anyway.
Protection from what?

G A Y   A S   H E C K

Protection from what?
From people trying to kill us, that's what!

~ CHTrilogy

(Let me get this straight...CHTrilogy is afraid of people trying to kill him just because he likes/liked ponies?Dude. Nobody is going to kill you just because of something you like/liked. There's a ton of people on the internet that like ponies. I would suggest relaxing a bit. Maybe more than a bit. )As for the actual topic, yes, I have noticed memes on BZP, but it's pretty much the same as it was before the downtime.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

I can't tell if he's trollin or what.

No, I'm not. I'd know if I did.
I keed the troll. :PSeriously, dude. Your overreacting.
... OR IS HE?THEY WANT US ALL DEAD, SEE. ALL WE CAN DO IS CLING TO OUR PONIES AND PRAY THAT THE HATERS LEAVE.WE'RE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.That's overreacting. :PI haven't heard one case of someone becoming un-Brony (but the haters can change. *trollface*), it can happen, I've just never seen it.-Skar

OK... Ponies aren't manly, and neither is pink. If man watches show with pink ponies and then shoves it in the faces of people who don't care about said show, man will get laughed off the face of the earth. Man will lose his man-card, and the respect of his peers, in all likelihood.Also, I have a rocket launcher, so any counter arguments are invalid.

I want to know who it was who decided that pink equals feminine. If a guy wears a pink shirt does that make him feminine?Also, yes, some people do shove it down the throats of others but that doesn't mean they get laughed off "the face of the Earth" and turn into hermits just because they liked a show with pink ponies about friendship. Oh, and then he loses all his respect. Brilliant.Oh, and please do fire your supposed rocket launcher. Tell me how that denies my argument.disclaimer: I only skimmed this topic so I don't know if anyone else has responded to this astonishing piece of "logic", but if anyone has please forgive me.

overlordsukapon.png

The ponies... so... many... ponies... :censored: I'd have to say, though, from what I remember from before the downtime (and believe me, I have a little trouble remembering things like this that far back), there was actually a lot more of a meme presence back then. I see a bit now, but aside from the ponies, not as much as I remember.Besides, all the old standby memes like Weegie and DINNER are just sooooo last year.

bioniclebanner2_by_chromatic_ninja-db5v5

You may also know me as Zeta, Zen, Tay, or Slushie

Concerning the Brony fad, I gotta say that the reason I dislike it is because there's a time and a place for everything. This (and the other places I've seen it) typically is not that place. I shouldn't have to fend off jokes about plot and Cupcakes while planning a black operation as a CIA operative, nor should I have to deal with it when I'm writing or talking about biomechanical heroes who battle some of the most devious minds in fiction. Nor should I run into it while I'm enjoying a story about a crossover between Tom Clancy and Battletech.If you want forums to discuss ponies in, append them to that one pony blog I don't mention because it's against the rules. Let us talk about Bionicle. You go over there and talk about ponies.(And to anyone who says you can't append forums to a blog...Bionicle Zone, I believe, was a Bionicle news blog. Then it merged with Kanohi Power. Now you know where BZPower came from! And knowing is half the battle!) :w:

Edited by Lloyd: the White Wolf

Actually it's the other way around. KanohiPower was the news blog, BionicleZoneCommunity was the forum. Then they met and became awesome.But now it's back that way since the news page is completely different from the forums. :/

Signature Guidelines: Signature may not exceed the 800x300 limit. For more reference use the box located in your signature editor.