Throwbotsssssssssssssssssssssssssss

slifer3000

So I just started looking into throwbots recently. I got a few as a kid, I was two-three at the time. I remember getting a tall yellow one for my friend for his bday in kindergarten. I learned later that it was blaster. Anyways, does anyone know the storyline to those guys? All I know is that the Slizers version made more sense and would make for a better story, being one joined planet. I know a meteor hit it and knocked it in half. Anything else happen after that?

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

For all we know, they lived on a planet (or system of planets in the North American version), searching for some kind of power source, disks, and enemies to fight to increase their skills. Then, they would fight each other in Judge's dome (or planet). They also had to avoid or fight tough bosses of their areas. No reasons were ever given for any of this (so no Glatorian system as far as we know). Suddenly, the story just melded into the planet version as a meteor collided with it, sheering off half the planet and killing/mutating half of them. The second wave appeared (Blaster, Millenium, Flare, and a few others, I think), but no one knows if they came with the meteor or if they are mutated versions of the other Throwbots. No one knows why they came either. So, that's pretty much it. I've been thinking of expanding it or making a game for it, but I lack the time.

Let's see.

• Jet/Judge, Jungle/Amazon, Rock/Granite, and Energy/Electro (Bad Guys) are fighting Fire/Torch, Ice/Ski, City/Turbo and Sub/Scuba (Good Guys) (Jeez LEGO. You just had to give each two different names, didn't you?)
  • Fighting because of classic Good Vs. Evil battle.
  • Meteor comes and destroys any bad guy places
  • Two scenarios here:

1. Four new Slizers/Throwbots emerge from crash site
  2. Bad Slizers/Throwbots are turned into new Slizers/Throwbots

• Either way, new Slizers/Thowbots are Millennium/Millennia, Flare, Spark, and Blaster
  • Millennium/Millennia is good; Flare, Spark and Blaster are bad.
  • Millennium/Millennia and Blaster prepare to have a fight
  • Story ends.

And that is the story of Slizers/Throwbots. I knew all of that except for the names of the Slizers off the top of my head. I'm a big fan.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

• 4 weeks later...

Throwbots were extremely noteworthy for being the forerunner to BIONICLE. They introduced both the ball joint (previous sets had used smaller ball joints for functions, but they were difficult to use for action figure models) and they were in fact the first action figure sets. They introduced the idea of canisters for action figure sets, even if theirs were impractical. They managed to avoid being "clone sets" almost entirely despite using very specialized torso/gearbox pieces. The sets introduced a lot of new colors to LEGO Technic and in fact included some rarer colors in general like Bright Bluish Green (Teal/Dark Turquoise) and Bright Violet (Purple).Some Throwbots parts like the ski/wing element continued to be used for over a decade. Several designers who worked on Throwbots would later use that experience in BIONICLE and even Hero Factory — perhaps most notably, Christoffer Raundahl, who created BIONICLE sets for years and was one of the inventors of the 2011 Hero Factory building system, worked on Throwbots and was credited as the inventor on some of its patents. The European name "Slizers" later appeared as the name of a Space Police III villain and as an easter egg in a Hero Factory online game.With that said, they had several flaws that BIONICLE improved upon. The gear functions of several of the sets were extremely tedious due to using 24– or 40-tooth gears and a worm gear instead of the smaller 12-tooth gears used for, say, the Toa Mata. The belt loop on the canisters was a nifty idea, but let's be honest, it's not something most people would ever wear. The disk packs were hard to find in stores, at least for me. And many of the parts were difficult to use in later years. The storyline was hard to follow due to varying by region and not being heavily promoted. And of course the characters, with their non-humanoid proportions, were a lot harder to relate to than Toa or Hero Factory heroes.So Throwbots had a number of good attributes to them, but there's an understandable reason why there were never many "bring back Throwbots" petitions or proposals on the Internet. It introduced a lot of ideas, but it took later themes like BIONICLE to take those ideas to the next level.

I love throwbots... I really wish they had at least finished the story... I managed to get Jet with everything for $4 on Bricklink, I also have an incomplete Blaster and Flare.

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

• Millennium/Millennia is good; Flare, Spark and Blaster are bad.

o_O And here, I've been labouring under the illusion that Blaster was the good one and Millenium the bad one ever since 2000...

Edited by Darth Jaller

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

• 3 weeks later...

It's too bad that the line didn't take off. That being said, it built the foundation of awesome technic sets, and people-Wait... Blaster was the bad one?

Yes, he was. Millennium was good. The bad guys outnumbered the good guys in the final release.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

I made a video about it!, if you´d like to watch it, just click on my sign and it will take you to its topic. After the meteor struck their planet nothing else happened since the line wasn´t successful and got discontinued a few months after its release :(

What sign?

Good old throwbots. I got Scuba on ebay for 5 or 6 dollars.

Anyway, here's the brickpedia link: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/Slizer/Throwbot

2xu8Ptu.png

• 1 month later...