BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

In Bionicle canon they are, but considering that the Toa of sand got turned into a Toa of stone once The player's request got nixed it seems to be different in the BZPRPG.

I'm not even sure why sand is its own element. It makes no sense.

Same as stone and earth being separate elements makes no real sense. I think sand, earth and stone and should all fall under the category of earth and be the one element. They do basically the same things. 

Edited by NatoGreavesy

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Well, here's some theoretical questions that highlight the problems with making such similar entities into different elements.  

If a Toa of earth were to pick up a handful of dirt and throw that at someone, would they still be able to control it? The dirt isn't sand so a sand Toa couldn't control that. Now, what if a Toa of stone's rock was crumbled into powder, would they still be able to control that? The crumbled stone is dust, so a sand Toa couldn't manipulate that either. 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Same as stone and earth being separate elements makes no real sense.

Well earth deals with stuff like dirt while rock could be closer to a concrete building. Sure it probably would be easier to stick them in the same element but at least it makes more sense than sand.

And sand is pretty much just powdered rock.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

After we've had the difference between the two ground into us for ten years, I still get funny looks explaining it. The Water/Ice schism is easy enough (water is liquid control, while ice is cold control, and fire is actually creating fire), but I still get funny looks. And I don't entirely understand it myself, but I just shrug and go along.

The times, they are a-changing...

Nah I'm just saying with this whole 'Sand as an Element' spiel was just thinking why not break all these elements into subelements and shoehorn them in as full-blown elements as well

Speaking of which how bout we add glass, drywall and suave pants into that list of new elements as well

You know, I actually asked if we could get glass approved as an element. The answer was no. 

Which is reasonable. 

But sand as a separate element has always struck me as kind of stupid. It should fall under earth or stone or something.

Edited by NatoGreavesy

suave pants

/dramaticentry

I am p-p-p-Pants! The suave toa of suave pants! Let my suave style charm you; or if you're too not-suave to appreciate the suaveness of my suave pants, I guess I will have to defeat you forcibly and suavely! With pants!

... Okay, I'll stop. But I get ya.

• Upvote 2

Someone with authority with ruling for stuff please answer me this: How would Vakua's Suletu interact with some of the Dasaka disciplines? Vakua, with the Suletu, basically has access to Ideatalk, and has honed his in particular to link together teammates by transferring thoughts at the speed of, well, thought. Although I always thought of it more as beaming thoughts directly back and forth, opening his mind to more people if necessary. He also has access to a bit of Willhammer, being able to project thoughts into other minds offensively (concentrating on a barrage of thoughts being the only offensive application I can think of), but this is blocked by anyone with enough mental fortitude to tune them out (or training to do so).

So, would the Dasaka Menti be able to detect him right off the bat, and vice-versa? How would they view this?

Someone with authority with ruling for stuff please answer me this: How would Vakua's Suletu interact with some of the Dasaka disciplines? Vakua, with the Suletu, basically has access to Ideatalk, and has honed his in particular to link together teammates by transferring thoughts at the speed of, well, thought. Although I always thought of it more as beaming thoughts directly back and forth, opening his mind to more people if necessary. He also has access to a bit of Willhammer, being able to project thoughts into other minds offensively (concentrating on a barrage of thoughts being the only offensive application I can think of), but this is blocked by anyone with enough mental fortitude to tune them out (or training to do so).

So, would the Dasaka Menti be able to detect him right off the bat, and vice-versa? How would they view this?

I'm not well versed enough in how the Dasaka disciplines work to answer this. However I can tell you that the Kanohi Suletu is banned. Pretty much precisely for the reasons you just explained. Psionic/mental powers of this kind are supposed to be completely alien to Mata Nui, hence why all masks like the Komau or, indeed the Suletu are not readily available.

Yes, there are exceptions (i.e. Echelon), but those are most decidedly special cases with a very good reason behind them.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

Vakua's reason is that he is mute (completely unable to vocalize), and I asked Nuju nicely. And, if you had bothered to actually read Vakua, or rather ANY of the Toa Kalta's profiles, you would know that they are alien to Mata Nui.

Edited by Keeper of Kraata

In that case... Is there a Toa who can control glass? Would that be a Toa of Crystal?

Probably a Toa of Crystal.

Ok. Then I'll totally make a Toa of Crystal one day)

What is the current status of the Toa Mata (First Toa) turned evil? Heunai sacrificed him to save Reku. What about the rest?

SRC9Wkk.png

Ahkmou is dead. I killed him.

Ishi certainly isn't, though, and anymore, Ishi's been playing as Ahkmou, because Ahkmou's death was pretty quickly covered up.

Therefore,

There really aren't that many people who know that Ishi isn't Ahkmou.

This is exactly the kind of thing that should be updated on the wiki.

There is a Toa of Sand.

Not anymore there isn't. Last arc there was, but I don't think they were re-approved for the new arc. They got turned into a toa of stone, if I remember correctly.

Actually there has been a Toa of Sand in this arc as well. One was involved in the Kumu Islet diving expedition.

What is the current status of the Toa Mata (First Toa) turned evil? Heunai sacrificed him to save Reku. What about the rest?

They're all dead. They were killed by the Toa Maru in Mangaia before challenging Makuta.

Edited by Toatapio Nuva

In that case... Is there a Toa who can control glass? Would that be a Toa of Crystal?

Probably a Toa of Crystal.

Ok. Then I'll totally make a Toa of Crystal one day)

They're dead.

Glass is iffy because by definition it's a solid (semisolid, superviscous liquid whatever you want to call it) that doesn't actually have a crystalline structure, though it probably would be good to note that glass is actually relatively rare here.  We use crystalline materials instead.

In terms of actual building materials, that is.

cause bonkles

If anyone can come up with a good explanation for which element should be able to control it, I'm all ears cause it's far too late right now for me to think.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

They're all dead. They were killed by the Toa Maru in Mangaia before challenging Makuta.

To be exact, most of them were too beat up to move by the Maru. Once they defeated Makuta the Toa Mata lost the essence that Makuta had given them to hold them together and just kinda melted away.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

To be exact, most of them were too beat up to move by the Maru. Once they defeated Makuta the Toa Mata lost the essence that Makuta had given them to hold them together and just kinda melted away.

Dead and "mealted away" are different things... Let's stick to the second)

Next question: are Toa alowed to kill in this reality?

SRC9Wkk.png

See, glass isn't stone or crystal, which is why I tried to get it approved as its own element. The answer was no because it isn't a common-enough material in BZPRPG land to qualify it existing as a power. Since it isn't going to be approved, and no existing element can control glass, I'm afraid I've probably just gone and shattered everyone's dreams of using glass. 

Next question: are Toa alowed to kill in this reality?

What you do with your Toa is entirely up to you, as long you don't break the rules. There are plenty of evil Toa who kill with no remorse in this game, as well as heroic ones who also kill because they feel it's justified. The concept of the Toa Code does exist, but only some follow it, others ignore it.

It doesn't help that we never found out what the Toa code actually was. The main rule was "do not kill", but BS01 lists exceptions to that rule. 

So, I guess it's easiest just to say that every character has their own code: It's called their conscience. Not everyone has one. 

Edited by NatoGreavesy
  • Upvote 1

The Toa Code is a thing, just a poorly defined one. 

You know, I think a visit to the wiki could probably answer a lot of these questions - even though a lot of the pages are out of date.

I've been playing under the impression that the element of Plantlife grants access only to living materials (i.e. Verulas could manipulate trees to grab people, but not collapse a hut made of bamboo in on its residents) since the element is called "Plantlife" and not "Plant By-Products."

I also treated Earth as soil (as in it contained moisture and nutrients to grow plants), which helped me distinguish it from stone. Sand and Crystal would have to be their own elements as they'd make Stone a bit OP.

Edited by timageness411

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

So theoretically a "Toa of Wood" would have power over dead plants, while a Toa of Plantlife controls living ones? 

Actually, here's food for thought: does a Toa of plantlife control mushrooms? Or is there a Toa of fungus out there somewhere?