RPG: Young Justice - Aftermath

Bundalings

OOC: Rectonning that last Oxide post a bit, if I may. The MAC-11 is actually over his mass capacity in and of itself as it turns out, so let's say he grabbed just a single flashbang at the armory and nothing else.

IC: Oxide

Oxide smiled to himself as he dissipated. Smoke surrounded him and his comrades, providing the perfect camouflage for him in his gas form. Now he just had to wait for them to come out into the hallway...

67tlbk.png

IC:

Erika nodded and sighed, wiping her mouth off with her napkin. "Well, we can't always get what we want..."

"On the other hand, having one's default status be a coma would be horribly boring. I mean, there's only so many times one can go through their dreams before one gets bored."

"Maybe the ability to sleep anytime, anywhere would be the best-" Erika smiled. "You already figured that out, didn't you?"
"Noooooooo. Of course not." Samuel replied, taking a sip of his coffee to disguise the grin on his face. "Why would I do that?"
"Because you want to live life to the fullest while putting the least amount of effort possible into it."
"I think most people would tell you that those two concepts are mutually exclusive."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC: "Unless you really liked sleeping." Erika shrugged. "So, what do we not do First?""Not sure." Samuel replied, setting his coffee down to take another bite of his pancakes. "Depends on what you feel like doing or not doing. It's a bit too early for a nap, so that eliminates that."Erika tapped her fingers on the table. "Watch another movie?""I have an Xbox, which means access to Netflix, Hulu, Zune, et cetera, et cetera. We have a theoretically endless supply of movies. Anything in particular you might want to watch?""Ummmm... I've always wanted to see Iron Man.""Fortunately, they have that one on Netflix. So that can easily be arranged."So... Let's go?""If you're done, of course.""Sure." Samuel replied, taking a moment to down the last of his pancakes, and pick up his coffee. "Let's head back to my dorm, I can have the movie up and running in a few minutes."Erika hopped up and took both of their trays to the bin, turning around and following Sam.Samuel lingered at the door, waiting for her to catch up, before resuming his pace and heading down the hall. It only took a few minutes to reach his room, upon which he stepped in and picked up the Xbox controller."Have a seat, I'll get this set up. Do you want popcorn or anything?"The Tamarean shook her head and say on the couch, putting her hands on her stomach. "Too many pancakes.""Is there such thing?"My stomach seems to think so. Plus, don't want to have to diet, so...""...""Hold on, still processing the fact that you just made reference to a diet." Samuel said, using the remote to turn on the TV, and the controller to select Netflix. "Seeing as the very idea that you'd need one is hilarious.""Being a League member kinda means that you end up burning all those excess calories. Plus, well, you're you. Kinda don't need one anyway.""....""Did you just compliment me?""Of course not. I vehemently deny it. Why would I ever do such an, ugh, nice thing?" "You want me to have to read your mind again?""Well, you could take my word for it, but I suspect that that won't happen.""Yeah, no, I won't." Erika stepped up and kissed Sam deeply, hands on the sides of his head.Samuel kissed her back, amusement gleaming in his eyes when they parted. "See? Of course I wouldn't do something so nice.""Hmmm..." Erika blinked twice. "Jury's out. Too dazed.""Mission accomplished." Samuel replied with a grin, as he sat down on the couch.Erika sat close next to him, absentmindedly holding his hand and leaning her head on his shoulder.Samuel hit play on the movie, leaning back as the movie began. "Stark is a master of being arrogant, lazy, and completely and utterly apathetic.""He may or may not have been my role model as a kid."Erika smiled and kissed Sam's ear, still wandering through memories. "Dang, you hid this well."Most of the memories she saw were fairly average, things like school, random flashes of family gatherings, but one stood out. It was when he'd first seen the movie they were currently watching, the first Iron Man movie. Judging by his thoughts and the scale of the things around him, he was probably between ten and fourteen, still relatively young.His parents were sittiing on either side of him on the couch, mother on the left, father the right. He was holding a big bowl of popcorn in his lap, grinning as the title screen came around. But out of the corner of his vision, just barely visible on the city skyline, was the edge of a symbol, outlined on the clouds."Wait... You remember back when Batman was active?""Hmm?" Samuel said, caught momentarily off guard by the question, as he glanced at her. "Oh. Well, he only retired within the past ten years, right? He was still active when the original team was formed."Erika nodded and kept sifting through.However, this time, she noticed something odd. Where before his mind was open, each memory an open book, now it was more guarded. Certain "books" were kept guarded, hidden and locked, while others remained easily accessible.The best word to descibe the new state of mind was "wary", despite the lack of any exterior change.Erika steered clear of those. Mind reading already broke enough privacy laws.And the most recent "book"..."You did compliment me.""Maybe I did, maybe I didn't.""Trying to lie to a mind reader?" "Worked so far.""Sometimes I wish you could read my mind and other times... Other times I'm glad I'm the only one.""Don't have to be a mind reader." Samuel said cheerfully, glancing at her. "Unlike some, you're a pretty open person. You don't quite wear your heart on your sleeve, but it isn't hard to tell what you're thinking."Erika moved slightly, facing up toward Sam. "I do?"She blushed. "Must have been pretty easy to tell...""I had a guess by the time we got back to the Watchtower. But I also didn't know you well enough to accurately assess your behavior. Now, on the other hand, I have a pretty good idea of what you're thinking."Erika smiled and kissed Samuel again, blocking off the memories. "So, what am I thinking?""I can tell, to an extent, that you're curious. That bit increased after poking around in my head. Other than that, you just seem cheerful.""Close." Erika whispered in Sam's ear."Well, I suppose I was at least half right." Samuel replied cheerfully, smiling at her. "Though the same goes for you."Erika blushed, wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him gently, no psychic exchange happening. "Well…""Ugh, vocabulary is gone again."

Edited by The Fourteenth Lakefish

No such thing as destiny.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:"That does seem to be a common issue, doesn't it?" Samuel replied with amusement, as he hugged her. "Particularly at the most inopportune times."

Erika nodded. "A really cheesy line just came into my head," she said as she moved back to sit next to him. "I hate my brain sometimes. Drop the words, give me lines that would make the Flash cringe."

"Everyone hates their brain from time to time. Though, I am morbidly curious. What was the line?"

"Mere words cannot express my feelings." Erika shook her head.

"Poetic is probably more fitting than "cheesy"," Samuel remarked, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "But I rather suspect that the sentiment has more to do with the lack of vocabulary than the sentiment itself."

"Well... I always say... There's something about my species you should know, no matter what Ms. Princess (OOC: Starfire) says."

"Oh? What would that be?"

"We- we have extremely strong romantic feelings. Well, strong feelings of all kinds, but particularly those."

"..." Samuel paused, contemplating the response, and what it meant. "I could try to make a joke out of that, but none spring to mind. I could make a comment about that, but none spring to mind either."

Erika smiled slightly and leaned against Sam. "Words aren't important. Not to me."

"Well, unfortunately, most of us aren't telepathic. So words are kinda our most reliable way to communicate." Samuel replied, grinning slightly as he inclined his head to look at her.

"For you that isn't much of a problem, because you can poke around in my head whenever you feel like it, but for the rest of us communication takes substantially more work."

Erika blushed. "I try to stay out of most places. And words are still the only way to get feelings across, sometimes. I can only read what you remember, not the feelings...""On the other hand, there are actions."

"Oh dear God that means you've seen every Little League game my parents made me attend."

Erika nodded. "Fast forwarded through those. I... I wonder..."

She moved tentatively until she was sitting sideways in Sam's lap, leaning against his chest and watching the movie to the side.

Samuel made no move to stop her, and when she had finished adjusting her position, he wrapped his arms around her in a quiet embrace.

"You wonder what?"

"I wonder if there's some way to allow my mind reading to go in reverse..." She shrugged. and closed her eyes partially, tension falling from her frame. "Probably a silly idea."

"Who knows. I'm not too concerned, I'm not sure I personally would want to crawl around inside someone else's head, either. Seems like it would be an odd perspective." He paused, and grinned again. "Though that also does come from the person who has never been outside his own head, so maybe other people's minds just aren't as strange as mine

"I just had a horrifying thought."

"Oh?"

"I'm never reading Bats' mind, even just through physical contact."

"... I don't even want to think about what would be in there."
Erika smiled and ran her thumb down Sam's jawline. "You're right, by the way. Mind reading is really disturbing at times."
"Of course it would be, this is my mind we're referring to." Samuel replied, smiling slightly at his own joke. "Though that doesn't surprise me."
"Did you really used to have a crush on-"
"Ssssssshhh, we don't need to discuss that particular memory." Samuel said with mock panic, looking around as if someone might be listening.
"I won't poke around anymore if you don't want me to."
"I don't actually mind. Like I said, not much to tell."
"What about all those locked memories?"
"Locked memories?"
"Ones you we're shielding. I stayed away, but..."
"Huh. Hadn't realized I was guarding any." Samuel replied, the mild surprise in his voice not quite matching the look in his eyes. But after a moment, the discrepancy vanished, and she shrugged. "Maybe someone hid the secrets of the universe in my head and locked them so I wouldn't find them."
Erika nodded skeptically.
"What's the skeptical expression for?"
"I don't require a kiss to read people. I saw that look."
"What look?" Samuel asked, a slight tinge of confusion in his voice. "I ususually grin when I make a joke, don't I?"
"Your eyes looked... Different."
"'I just spaced out different', or 'Oh-my-god-they';re-vampire-red' different?"
"You're hiding something different."
"You're right, I am hiding something." There was a pause, wherein his expression was dead serious. "I was a horrible Little League player."
Erika giggled. "Those weren't locked."
"Those should have been shielded. The world isn't ready."
"Quit trying to change the subject."
"There was a subject?"
"The locked memories and your expression."
"I thought both of those were explained. Knowledge humanity should never have, and glazed space-out expression."
Erika poked Sam in the nose. "Fine, I'll leave it alone."
"Leave what alone?"
"The subject that doesn't exist."
"Oh. Well, if it doesn't exist, what's there to be left alone?"
"Circles, we are going in."
"Someone's seen Star Wars."
Erika nodded and blushed. "I'm such a geek..."
"Nothing wrong with that. The Star Wars movies are classics."
"Well, apart from the improbable physics, they were awesome!"
"Star Wars was kinda the definition of improbably physics."
"Yeah, and I shoot lasers from my hands. Kinda know how they work."
"You mean they don't bounce off bulkheads? My worldview is shattered."
Erika laughed. "They don't affect each other either. Obi Wan is looking at a shot to the brain in the real world."
"But if you strike him down, he becomes more powerful than you could ever imagine."
Erika giggled. "True, true. Force ghosts are theoretically- we're debating physics of movies, aren't we?"
"Pretty much, yes."
Erika leaned up and kissed Sam gently. "Well, you're the first person I'm enough at ease with to talk about Star Wars physics with..."
"I don't think there's anyone in the world that's really comfortable talking about Star Wars physics." Samuel joked in response, tightening the hug briefly, before relaxing it again.
"Scientists in particular."
Erika laughed, then fell silent for a while, watching the movie absentmindedly.
"One of the great things about Marvel movies," Samuel observed, after a few minutes of silence. "Is that they're usually scientifically plausible. Psuedo-science, but vaguely scientific nonetheless. Though the worst offender was probably the Captain America movie."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

IC:"Okay, go!"Slight cocked his guns and rushed into the smoky room, firing off exactly one bullet for each guard, teleporting from man to man, appearing, firing, and disappearing before they could react. However, he didn't forget the gaseous agent they'd faced earlier. "See if you can clear the smoke, Runes, then light whatever comes out of these vents."

BZPRPG Profiles

IC:

"It comes with the job," Halfimus explained, "I'm not paid enough to give anything outside quick flavour descriptions."

So pay me more AuRon.

IC / Ironwood / Outside Cadmus HQ

Ironwood jogged behind the others. "Hey IW, you coming or not?" Alchemist shouted back at him.

"Of course I'm coming. This is stupid, but I'm not going to let you two go without me," he responded a little breathlessly. It had been so long since he'd been on any kind of mission, he had fallen out of practice and out of shape. Before he could dwell on that, however, a massive animal burst through the glass of the front door. It was covered in wounds and blood, frothing at the mouth. Some kind of giant wolf-beast. Ironwood skidded to a stop behind Alchemist and the Prince. "I was expecting BZP Lovers with guns, not the Hound of the Baskervilles," he said, halfway between fright and snark.

The wolf-beast threw it's head back, howled, and charged them.

IC / Heliogram / Cadmus HQ

Equalizer hung back a moment while Sleight rushed through the door to the hallway beyond. "Heliogram," she hissed.

"I'm here," he whispered in return, still invisible.

"Good, at least you didn't trip again and crack your head on the stairs," she said acidly. "We will keep them busy here. The nanobots are stored in a room just down the hall. You break in, get back here as fast as you can, and we'll all boom out."

"Why can't Sleight get it? He's a teleporter," whined Heliogram.

"He's too useful here," she said, aiming a kick in the direction she thought her ally was. It connected lightly. "Now go!"

She took cover behind the door frame. Versus bullets, her adaptation power wouldn't be too useful, so best to keep a low profile and keep their father box safe. She peeked around the frame and fired off a few rounds from her gun, aiming more to disrupt and distract than to actually kill. Sleight was doing a fine job of that on his own.

Heliogram slunk into the hall on all fours, staying below the carnage, careful to avoid being tread upon. He was invisible, not intangible.

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

• 3 weeks later...

IC:"Hmm? What? Oh."The response, when it came, was from the corner of the room behind her head. Samuel exited out of the programs he was in the midst of using with a swift click, rotating his chair away from the computer to look at Erika."Have a good rest?"

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:"I didn't rest much personally. Mostly because coffee renders sleep rather difficult. Once I was certain that you were asleep, I carefully worked my way off of the couch, and moved over here. And this is where I've been since."A pause, and a grin. "You know, with how many times you fall asleep around me, I'm starting to get the impression that I bore you."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:"Believe me, I know. And yes, I actually am the champion sleeper. I beat out the previous champion by over two hours, bringing the new record for a nap to eight days, twenty three hours and four minutes without the use of sleep aids."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:"The best jokes are the ones that could genuinely be believed." Without pausing, Samuel pushed off, sending his chair rolling back towards the minifridge, coasting to a stop exactly on target. humming quietly to himself, he pulled out a bottle of root beer."The contestants thought I was cheating at first, but a subsequent blood screening showed no presence of sleep aids. Everyone else spent days staying awake in an effort to be tired enough to compete. I just continued with my normal sleep cycle."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:"Yeah, well, not all of us can have the cool powers." Samuel quipped, taking a sip of his drink. "I mean, really. Flight, lasers, et cetera. You took all the cool ones."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:"Energy constructs aren't bad, but when they draw directly from your own concentration and energy... Well, if there's ever an extended battle, by the end of it I'll probably be running around hitting people with rocks.""And yes, the Lanterns are frankly overpowered."

fK5oqYf.jpg

OOC: Speaking of Lanterns and energy constructs

IC: A spike of crimson energy lanced from Alesiu's ring, spearing the thrown car in mid-air like some bizarre update of a medieval sport. Naturally the car instantly burst into flames. In all likelihood this was because of the caustic nature of a Red Lantern's energy constructs burning through to the fuel tank, and not because the universe thought it would look cool. Though it totally did.

Alesiu spun round in the air a full three-sixty degrees, the car swinging with her, a comet in a small-scale solar system. At the end of her circle she flicked her wrist and the spike dissolved, sending the blazing vehicle soaring right back at Magnon and his new partner

IC: Nearing the scene where Cadmus' guards wre holding the infiltrators, Liam dropped back onto his feet to walk into battle. Partly for the effect of warrior armoured in bone marching into combat. Partly because it saved up his thermal energy reserves for his opening attack.

Pointing a viscera-coated arm at the woman with the guns he unleashed a blast of heat in her direction, the air sparking and rippling as the blast billowed towards her

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC: "Don't call me Runes."Alexandra spun her scythe, diverting the bullets with an EM field. She focused and started to run.Upswing. Knock soldier back with staff.Magnetics to ceiling. Swing on handle, kick soldier in the face. Switch polarity. Smash scythe into facemask. Land.Turn to face bone man, face still hidden by cloak. "Someone has an unhealthy obsession with Skeletor."Scythe blade glows red. "I'm only the vanguard. Soon, you'll meet the actual Reaper. I'm jealous."The hint of a smile."I've not met him yet. I tend to send messages by those like you."IC: Erika held up her arms. "I feel like my forearms are going to dissolve by the time I'm done with a fight. GL's don't know what they have."

BZPRPG Profiles

IC: Magnon [Kansas]

Magnon leapt out of the way of the car, grabbing Frostbite and pulling him out of the way of the vehicle. He had used the enhanced senses and agility to get out of the way of the flaming vehicle, and enhanced strength to pull his comrade out of the way of the vehicle.

He leaned close to him and whispered into Strausser's ear. "Freeze her. Now."

IC: Red Prince [Cadmus]

J'Azzon began to change his form, turning into a wolf larger than the one that had arrived in front of him. He jumped at the other wolf, and began to fight it. As he was doing this, he was reading the other wolf's mind to find out how it would react to his attacks.

IC: Brother Norin [Above Beijing]

"You know, Brother Bellamy, there is someone I think you would be interested in meeting. He is on the Team, and his powers would work very well with yours. Shall I introduce him to you?"

IC: Umbra [Warworld]

Umbra lay down on the bed, his broken nose having been fixed by the Light's nanotechnology. He was waiting for a new assignment, his armor and his laying next to him. His room was in complete darkness, with no light entering. If any did, he would be in great pain.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

IC: Oh great, talkative intruders. Chatting all the whole time sort of negated the stealth point of intruding, didn't it? Probably how these guys got caught. Not to mention it just gave your attacker time to react while you were still trying to sound cool because the whole cloaked look was just cliched

Keeping one arm trained on the markswoman to maintain the jets of heat going in her direction, Liam turned his other on the hooded assassin while she was still going on about being a vanguard. He was going to make her regret both her mouthiness and her choice of attire. See, even if the assassin had the agility needed to avoid the oncoming attack (assuming she could even see it, the heat itself being invisible and all) after wasting her time attempting to gloat...her cloak did not. It swung about like normal fabric, so if she moved it would swoop around into her place like a big old sail. Should catch the blast rather nicely. It would be interesting to see how someone who acted so unprofessionally dealt with being set on fire like that

IC: As the beam hit Alesiu's forcefield and ice began to creak over her, she expanded that crimson cocoon of hers outwards to shatter and crack the would-be prison. Worked to begin with, but as Frostbite kept the beam coming, ice just started flowing over the shield once again. So instead she created a beam of her own, a spinning augur of fiery red that clashed against Frostbite's ice, pushing it back through the air towards him

OOC: I don't think we've had a good old fashioned Beam-O-War here yet. Time we corrected that :P

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC / Ironwood / Outside Cadmus HQThere was nothing for the Red Prince to read. The wolf creature was acting on pure instinct with no forethought. The Martian may have become a larger creature (OOC: Can Martians alter their mass?), but the wolf was supernaturally enhanced and on high on blood, so it was fair from an easy fight.Ironwood stood in shock for a moment, then started to set a plan in motion. He ran a ways away from where the conflict was taking place, planting seeds through the soles of his feet as he went. From those seeds he grew a thicket of thorns, like a cave, with a large opening in the front and a space within. "Jason! Lured the beast in here and I'll close it up!" he called. There was a chance this could work... if only the Martian could hold out long enough against the vicious animal.IC / Heliogram, Equalizer, Cavalry / Cadmus HQ BasementHeliogram darted between two guards. They looked so afraid. He wondered how afraid he would look, if anyone could ever see his face. He was home free now. All the guards were behind him and distracted, just as Equalizer had planned. Maybe she wasn't such a bad leader after all. He stood up and started jogging toward the door, behind which was a room with a locked safe that had the nanites Sportsmaster wanted. His lasers should melt through, now problem, then-Something bowled into him and he flew back, impacting on one of the soldiers. The soldier slumped with Heliogram on top of him, his invisibility flickering as he struggled to maintain consciousness. Standing where he had been standing a moment ago was a person in some sort of armor suit - or maybe it was a robot. The being looked unsteady from the impact."What the heck did I just hit?" Jordan wandered aloud, using her hands to balance herself. "Whatever. The cavalry has arrived, gents!"Meanwhile, Equalizer was getting blasted by the bone man's heat ray. She screamed in agony and ducked back around the corner of the doorway. He'd struck her shoulder and part of her face, and the pain was intense. But this is what she trained for. This was her mutation. She looked around the corner again. The bone man's heat ray was still trained on her. She could feel it. But her immunity power let her just shrug it off. Or she would shrug, if her shoulder wasn't covered in burns. She took aim at the bone man...Jordan saw the gun raised in Liam's direction and charged. A literal instant later she was in front of Equalizer. She slapped the gun out of Equalizer's hand so fast it cracked bone. Equalizer screamed and stumbled backward, falling to the floor. Then she started laughing darkly. "Come get me," she muttered.Jordan readied a punch, flashing forward so fast it should have shorn Equalizers arm clean off. Instead, Equalizer just stood slowly and pulled another gun out of its holster. "I'll let you have six guesses what my power is," she said with a sneer, and began firing. Edited by Stud McSquarejaw

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

IC: Runewalker's cloak started heating up, but she noticed.And it started to chill. Not major cold, but enough to balance the heat. One charge. "Cloak isn't for decoration, you know."Her blade turned to frigid cold, her left hand starting to glow as she dashed toward Liam.Meanwhile, Soundsmith was aiming at the new arrival.Aim...Fire. A sound blast rippled through the air toward Calvary, disturbing the gas as it went.

BZPRPG Profiles

IC: Liam could see ice crystals forming on the cloak, as the chill needed to stop the cloak igniting froze the water in the air. That would make it heavier, stiffer, more of an obstacle to its wearer. Would make it harder for her to get out the way since she was, you know, running right towards the guy firing heat beams in a completely straight line. Not a smart move. Just meant that she'd turned her face, which wasn't protected by the refrigerated hood even if it was shadowed by it, right into the searing blasts. And since Cavalry had turned up to handle the markswoman (hah, he knew she had it in her!) he could turn both his hands onto the wannabe-reaper, essentially hitting her with both barrels. The sheer heat he was pouring at at her was making the air spark and crackle, if she tried her little ice trick she'd only freeze herself completely solid

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC:Samuel chuckled quietly along with her, slowly rolling his chair back to his desk. He took a long sip of his drink, resting his elbow on the counter, glancing briefly at the photo of Earth that served as his computer's wallpaper."I don't know that I'll ever retire. Or even if I could. Not much else to go back to."

fK5oqYf.jpg

OOC:

I'm not sure if they can alter their mass, or just become more and less dense.

IC: Red Prince [Cadmus]

J'Azzon floated up into the air, and turned back into his normal Martian form to better focus upon his telekinetic powers. He lifted up the wolf, and floated her over into the cave of brambles that Ironwood had created. Then, he fell to the ground, and so did the wolf.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?