• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes
  • Participate in raffles to win LEGO prizes
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Bionicle- Nova Orbis (new world)

Featured

• Please log in to reply
846 replies to this topic

#841 Offline NickonAquaMagna

NickonAquaMagna
  • Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 09-December 13
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 07 2016 - 07:43 PM

So I've finally started working on Nova Orbis again, and I whipped up this amusing exchange between Piras and Vezon discussing (and critiquing) fleshy people like us, and delving into their own origins while they're at it. Enjoy this scene. Consider it a longer than usual preview of the next chapter.

"So that's where babies come from."

"Incredible... and perplexing," Piras commented as Vezon finished informing him about the flesh people's method of... continuing. "I mean, I knew these 'fleshies' reproduced by some means. There are many fully organic animal species around Miro Nui, mostly fish, who do the same thing. But the way these natives change as they grow, spending their early years as these, what did you call them?"

"Children?"

"Yeah, those. Your description of a child sounds a lot like how I'd describe a Matoran."

"They're EXACTLY like Matoran. Well, to a point, so maybe not. But their growth from childhood to adulthood is very similar to a Matoran's transformation into a Toa. It just takes longer and they don't need magic stones to do it."

"So, before, you mentioned Verlammen's father- her male parent- and her, um... grandad? Who is that?"

"Her father's father."

"Riiiight, wow, these people have really short lives."

"I know. It's funny. Back on the old world, I remember meeting people just like them, these fleshies. They were more robust, you could say. Some of them rivaled our own life spans thanks to implants that granted them unnatural strength and longevity."

"Really? And you lived alongside them for a time? Why didn't they come to the new world with us?"

"I wouldn't know. I wasn't around when you left the old world. I left, and arrived here, much earlier, and via different means."

"Okay, okay, one story at a time. So were they as different from us as these natives are, or were they more similar?"

Vezon thought for a moment.

"That's where things get weird. They were a little more like us. In fact, you modern Toa and Matoran remind me a little of those people. Aside from implants, they had no mechanics in their bodies whatsoever, though I do believe they had metal bones. In some ways, their bodies were a little more complex than ours, with about thrice as many internal organs as my generation and, hmmm.... about twice as many as yours, I'd say. I believe our creators based our design on their appearance, and to some degree, their physiology, but our bodies were more efficient. We were more streamlined, durable, and didn't require as much substanence or rest to keep working."

"And those people from the old world, they 'reproduced' the way these people do?"

"Oh lord, don't remind me. I actually walked in on such a ritual about to take place, once. It's was awkward like nothing else."

"I'd imagine so."

"And you modern types, you 'reproduced' some thousands of years ago by doing what? I didn't really catch it when a Matoran tried to get me to understand some centuries ago."

"The current generation of Matoran began life as the 'Natum.' It was a new word I don't believe existed in your time. It means newborn in the modern tongue. We also call them Protos."

"So they're essentially 'baby' Matoran? Don't tell me you people have evolved enough to-"

"No, no, it's not- well, actually it is sort of like that, in that they inherited some of the old generation's biology. They start out as empty frames, part Protodermis and part bone, and the softer organic components are grown inside the frame. The frame can even change shape a bit over time to better accommodate the organic portions of the body, even after a Natum is released from their pod."

"The the organic parts-?"

"Are grown from samples of the previous generation. Bits of organic matter donated by the likes of the Turaga and the other people of their- I mean your time."

"Hmmmm..."

"What? Have you remembered something?"

"No, just another theory, is all. How much you wanna bet some of the old desert peoples' biomass was in that mix as well? That there's a bit of them in you, and that's why you're more alike than I am."

"I never thought of that. The Turaga made no mention of such people, after all."

"They probably wanted to keep the story from getting over complicated."

"But it's not a story, is it? How did your generation come about, anyway? You say you were created, but how?"

"We were... well, it sounds a little cold to say it this way now, but there's simply no other way to say it. We were built. We were constructed, like children's toys. Our organs were synthetic. Our brains engineered. And not bio-engineering, I mean like a clock. It's not all that different from how your generation was made, but it's not all that different from how these people build their Mechanicles. Is it any wonder they mockingly call us 'robots' sometimes?"

"It does sound rather cold."

"We were never REALLY like the Mechanicles, though. At least I don't think so. We were always more alive, in some ways. All it took was someone granting us the gift of independent thought, and that's when our evolution began... and just look at you, now."

"This is a lot to take in."

"Well, I've had a lot of time to take it in. but you know, there is one thing I will never, ever get about these people."

"What is it?"

"The way they curse. They have this compulsion to constantly make reference to parts of their body, or worse, the things their bodies expel."

"Yeah, I've heard them say such things a few times. You're saying those are their swear words?"

"Yeah, and it's weird, like, they know on some level that the way their bodies function is actually REALLY disgusting, so they laugh it off, but it just comes off like they're admitting how needlessly complicated and messy their bodies are."

"Do any of these make sense to you?"

"This one's always sounded kind of funny to me, and it's about as articulate is their curses ever get, but more than a few times, usually by the new guards, I've been called 'old as $#!%."

"That..." Piras was genuinely stumped. "What does that even mean?"

"I don't know! It just sounds funny and stupid."

Piras shook his head.

"These organics are strange."

"Their entire outer body itself is an organ that carries the other organs. Just try wrapping your head around that."

"Wha-? What do you even call that?"

"I've called them many things, but I find 'meatbag' rolls off the tongue the most musically. Still, strange as they are, we're not that different. Somewhere, I realized Turaga are really just the surly grandparents of our kind."

"....Oh my gosh, they kind of are. That is so weird."

Aaaand that's it for now. I hope this scene isn't too inappropriate. Feedback is deeply appreciated.

vloed3_by_nickinamerica-daqr3ej.jpg

Bionicle- Nova Orbis story thread >> http://www.bzpower.c...rbis-new-world/

#842 Offline JetZXV

JetZXV
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 22-December 14
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 14 2016 - 01:02 AM

"We were... well, it sounds a little cold to say it this way now, but there's simply no other way to say it. We were built. We were constructed, like children's toys..."

Clever.  Veeeeery clever.  I'm thankful that I checked back when I did.

#843 Offline Legodude's chat room

Legodude's chat room
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 10-July 16
  • 83 posts

Posted Dec 14 2016 - 02:11 AM

I found this very amusing for some reason.

My Epic: Ahkmou's Return and My story collection: Takanuva's Travels are my stories so far, look 'em up.

#844 Offline The 1st Shadow

The 1st Shadow
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Dark Master of Light

• 21-June 10
  • 3,546 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 14 2016 - 04:28 AM

"They probably wanted to keep the story from getting over complicated."

In addition to the children's toys joke, I found this to be a beautiful nod to the later years of the G1 story. Nicely done. :P

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

Posted Image

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to NickonAquaMagna~

#845 Offline NickonAquaMagna

NickonAquaMagna
  • Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 09-December 13
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 16 2016 - 06:45 PM

Yeah, this whole conversation was a chance to poke fun at G1, and also articulate things that must've crossed our minds at some point or other. Even the bit about the Turaga being the grumpy grandparents of their race is like... we've all thought that, right?

vloed3_by_nickinamerica-daqr3ej.jpg

Bionicle- Nova Orbis story thread >> http://www.bzpower.c...rbis-new-world/

#846 Offline Iben

Iben
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 18-October 08
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted Dec 17 2016 - 07:43 AM

Great to see that Nova Orbis is slowly coming back ! I absolutely love the Venators, and I think their color-schemes are amazing.

Now I do have a little hypotheses here, not sure if I'm correct in any way, but I'll leave it in spoilers just to be sure :

Spoiler

Anyway, keep up the great work, can't wait to read more in the future !

-Iben

Edited by Iben, Dec 17 2016 - 12:49 PM.

pVcwLHX.png

"Unity, Duty, Destiny."

#847 Offline Blue91233

Blue91233
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 29-July 16
  • 3 posts

Posted Jan 11 2017 - 06:45 AM

I felt dissapointed when the rest of Journey to Caelum and Return Part 2 didn't make it to the end of 2016. What's the current status of Nova Orbis right now?

Edited by Blue91233, Jan 11 2017 - 06:49 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users