Not all prefix-Matoran are...

I'm looking for a Greg Statement or other source on a recent BS01 edit. I've asked the editor to see if he remembers where this was stated, but I thought I'd also check the group-memory of S&T.

It started on the Earth page, with the phrase,

Almost all Matoran, Toa, and Turaga of Earth are male.

Based on that and the memory of Greg making a statement "that Matoran might exist who identify as a different gender from the norm," the phrasing was duplicated onto all the Elements pages. Considering the rather important difference in meaning that this change creates from the previous "All Matoran, Toa, and Turaga of ____ are male/female," I really would like to make sure BS01 has a source on it. Up till now, the only one that statement could really have applied to was Ce-Matoran/Toa/Turaga.

So, is there a source to be found? Or did someone apparently edit the Earth page on accident instead of the Psionics page?

• Upvote 1

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but recently in the "The Bionicle Headcanon Thread" topic, there were discussions about the matoran of Voya Nui never questioning the gender of Vezok, who claimed to be a Toa of Water, but was clearly a male, because in the books, Matoran refer to him as "He".

In my honest opinion, this whole gender thing should be retconed...

• Upvote 2

It's not that huge actually, it would just confirm that there is male and female matoran in any element. The characters we know can conserve their genders. Gender in Bionicle is a pretty useless thing, really, IMO

You're pretty right about that. I guess the Great Beings just thought female=peaceful, so they made Ga-Matoran peaceful. All other personality traits=every other male Matoran. :P

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

My theory after reading the Vezok thing is that the different commonalities (if that's a word, Lolz) between elements is different depending on region. Mata/Metru Nui population has an all female Ga-Matoran population and all male population of the other five major elements. Mahri Nui had an all female Ga-Matoran population as well (a remark an Onu-Matoran made of how he never understood them). Voya Nui might have had some male, but not many Ga-Matoran.

• Upvote 2

new_sig_legacy_2.png

I distinctly recall a post in the LMB thread (it's probably buried now, unless someone wants to hunt it down) in which someone asked if there might be Matoran out there who identify as a different gender from the norm, ex. a female Ta-Matoran. Greg said something to the effect of "Okay, maybe, but they'd be mega-super-rare".

That's good enough for me! :)

• Upvote 1
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Q) Also, when Matoran were brought into being, could there have sometimes been glitches (ex. a female Su-Matoran, or a Ba-Matoran with purple, black, and green armor)?

A) Not that I know of. It would be like an automobile company accidentally manufacturing microwave ovens.

This is all I found from the LMB thread.  

I also went looking in Fisher's Greg Quotes and found someone asking if there could be female Ta-Matoran due to glitches and Greg basically said no.

• Upvote 1

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

I distinctly recall a post in the LMB thread (it's probably buried now, unless someone wants to hunt it down) in which someone asked if there might be Matoran out there who identify as a different gender from the norm, ex. a female Ta-Matoran. Greg said something to the effect of "Okay, maybe, but they'd be mega-super-rare".

That's good enough for me! :)

Are you sure? Because after several modified Google searches, I cannot seem to locate this post. 

I did find this, though...

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but recently in the "The Bionicle Headcanon Thread" topic, there were discussions about the matoran of Voya Nui never questioning the gender of Vezok, who claimed to be a Toa of Water, but was clearly a male, because in the books, Matoran refer to him as "He".

I think that is just more of a plot-hole than anything else, however interesting a point it may be. Everything else is saying no so far...

~~-BS01 Histories-~~

I think that is just more of a plot-hole than anything else, however interesting a point it may be. Everything else is saying no so far...

Mind you, Toa wear masks and don't have reptilian spines and huge, grotesque, permanent grins. This didn't stop the Voya Nui Matoran from believing the Piraka to be Toa.

• Upvote 2

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

But the Matoran DID notice those odd traits and even asked the Piraka about them. They never asked why Vezok was male. And clearly they do know something about Toa, since Dalu thinks to herself that, as a Toa of Water, Vezok should have the wisdom to help her control her temper. 

Come to think of it, that makes Chiara's question to Orde kind of rude. "Mata Nui, Chiara! You can't just ask someone why they're male!" 

Edited by Akavakaku
  • Upvote 4

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

I thought that (insert prefix)-Matoran were all of a set gender.

That's the official word right now (except with Av-Matoran and Orde, the only male Toa of Psionics). But it's been problematic with Vezok, a male Skakdi of Water, masquerading as a Toa of Water with nobody questioning it.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Well, we've reverted the edits over on BS01, since there doesn't seem to be word of Greg backing it up. We'll let the strict-interpretationists take this one.

Mind you, if someone wants a female Toa of Air or some such in their story, there's no need to follow the canon's stupid rules, and more power to you in that case.

• Upvote 4
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

(Double-posting for the ranking bump, feel free to merge this with the above post when necessary)

UPDATE: Another fan found the post I was thinking of. Matoran who identify as genders opposite to the usual are possible, and may exist. The relevant edits have already been made to BS01.

Considering that the great beings made orde male before making other psionic matoran female, does that mean there could be other exceptions to the "gender element" rule with other elements?

Possibly.

BOOYAH.  :afro: 

they didn't believe me... they called me mad... MAD! but who's laughing NOW??? *maniacal laughter*

• Upvote 6
-- Harlan Ellison

Just thought I'd mention the current discussion and development on BS01.

As of this posting, the possibility isn't mentioned on the Matoran Page, nor on each tribe's page. I think the consensus is that we can't really bring it fully in because it is only a hypothetical. If we get a "Yes, there are certain Matoran which do not match with the predominating gender of their tribe" I bet we'd put it in. I don't think we need to say what will happen if we get an outright story change XD

~~-BS01 Histories-~~