Win a New York Comic Con Pass to See the LEGO Panel

New York Comic Con is taking place at the Javits Center in New York City from October 9th to the 12th. On Thursday, October 9th, LEGO will be hosting a panel and they want as many fans there as possible to, "take part in a very special event where a brand new LEGO Theme will be announced." That sounds pretty awesome, right? Well it gets better, because LEGO is giving BZPower twelve New York Comic Con passes for all day Thursday to give out to members in the New York City area. Want to find out how you can win one? Read on!

View the full article

Fingers crossed it's Bionicle, but the "brand new theme" description makes it sound less like a reboot and more like something totally new.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

The article specifies "members in the NYC area," but would it be open to people who could arrange their own transportation from elsewhere? I sent in an entry just in case, since NYC is really just a train ride away from my home city, despite being several states away.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Wow that's incredibly awesome. Sure wish I could go haha. Ah well... Congrats to whoever gets the passes!

I'm sure it's going to be a great time. :)

Definitely interested in this "new theme" heh.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I do think it's worth pointing out that Minecraft, though announced, has not been officially unveiled in any physical capacity.

And it does fit perfectly with "brand new theme."

~|ET|~

• Upvote 1

E-T... Phone home.

Are the Minifigure scale Minecraft sets considered a new theme, or a continuation of the microscale sets?

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Are the Minifigure scale Minecraft sets considered a new theme, or a continuation of the microscale sets?

They are at the very least definitely considered a separate line from the Micro World sets. As for how one interprets "theme"... Well, I've seen it argued both ways. I definitely see it as new.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

I do think it's worth pointing out that Minecraft, though announced, has not been officially unveiled in any physical capacity.

And it does fit perfectly with "brand new theme."

~|ET|~

I thought one of the sets had been announced at San Diego Comic-Con? If not, then you're right that it MIGHT be Minecraft. However, Minecraft is even less of a "brand new theme" than BIONICLE, since there are already four LEGO Minecraft sets available for purchase, and only one of those fell under the LEGO Cuusoo/LEGO Ideas banner. BIONICLE, in the very least, would be as much of a "new theme" as LEGO Space Police was in 2009.
  • Upvote 2

Though I won't be entering because I wouldn't be able to make it there, it still sounds like it would be a lot of fun to attend. :)

I kind of doubt the new theme would be Bionicle. Honestly, I have no idea what it could be. I guess we'll find out when it is announced. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Exactly. Plus, LEGO is looking to engage an entirely new audience of youngsters. And this sort of announcement plays into their track record for reviving lines. BIONICLE is a new theme, it was cancelled five years ago. Kids won't know it. And if BIONICLE is indeed a new beginning, using this as a way to highlight the new theme is brilliant introduction. Plus, the fact that BZPower has this contest. Now, if anyone else gets it, I'll take that mark off.

BIONICLE Confirmed.

-You're really irritating.
-Does irritating mean "fun"?

Somebody on another site mentioned a new license that's rumored for next year that might very well be the subject of this reveal: Jurassic World. An actor in the movie has tweeted about seeing his character as a minifigure, which basically confirms that a Jurassic World theme is happening. And a reveal for the Jurassic World sets would make a LOT of sense at a pop culture event like NYCC, since the Jurassic Park movies have widespread pop-culture appeal.

The idea of TLG revealing a theme that ties in with a June movie might seem a bit far-fetched, but they DID reveal the LEGO Marvel Super Heroes sets at NYCC in 2011, and those were released in May 2012. :shrug: I don't know whether this is MORE likely than a BIONICLE reveal, but now we know there's another extremely plausible option on the table.

If they said they're bringing back "an old favorite" instead of "brand new LEGO theme", that would just give it away, wouldn't it?

I think this sums it up pretty well. There isn't really a way they could word it otherwise that wouldn't really give it away.

Ironically, it seems that saying it that way may have given it away? wat is this like quadruple deception or something

That being said, I'm not sure that it is Bionicle. I'd love it if it were, but... I almost think LEGO might be messing around with us a bit. Like, keeping the batman or minecraft thing or whatever hidden for like one day more or whatever at the last CC (kinda didn't pay attention to the details there, basically saw that it wasn't Bionicle and just moved on)?

I dunno. But the fact that they extended this to BZP exclusively...

I dunno. A month and a half more, and we'll know.

EDIT:

Okay, something I'm not really getting about LEGO recently. They've always said that they won't do violence and stuff, but they're doing Marvel, and DC, and then if they do Jurassic Park...? (Not to mention Star Wars and Indiana Jones.) Seems like pretty violent stuff to me.

Edited by Kopekemaster
  • Upvote 1
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

The article specifies "members in the NYC area," but would it be open to people who could arrange their own transportation from elsewhere? I sent in an entry just in case, since NYC is really just a train ride away from my home city, despite being several states away.

If you can get there, then yes, feel free to enter. We wouldn't expect many non-locals to go all the way to New York City just for the day.

As far as what the brand new theme is, I've seen lots of speculation. I'm certainly excited to see what it is!

• Upvote 2

I've always waned to go to Comic-Con, but just about everything is too inconvenient for me! *sigh* If there was money for some cheap, but tolerable lodging and a way to get there and back, I'd be glad to try and get a pass, but maybe some other time.

mindeth the cobwebs

If you can get there, then yes, feel free to enter. We wouldn't expect many non-locals to go all the way to New York City just for the day.

As far as what the brand new theme is, I've seen lots of speculation. I'm certainly excited to see what it is!

i live in pennsylvania, and if i did not have school i would try to go.

EDIT:

Okay, something I'm not really getting about LEGO recently. They've always said that they won't do violence and stuff, but they're doing Marvel, and DC, and then if they do Jurassic Park...? (Not to mention Star Wars and Indiana Jones.) Seems like pretty violent stuff to me.

They have not said that they won't do violence (at least, not in a very long time). This page provides some insights into how the LEGO Group feels about conflict play, but in short they feel like a certain amount of conflict play is natural and constructive. What they seek to avoid in their toys are realistic, modern war scenarios. Dinosaurs attacking people, or knights engaging in swordfights, or futuristic soldiers fighting each other with lasers, or superheroes pummeling each other with their superhuman powers, do not fit this description by a long shot. These are scenarios that the children those products are aimed at can recognize as something separate from their own reality.

In the past, the LEGO Group was a lot stricter about their violence policy, although it was never codified until recently. There was some vocal opposition to such things as the lasers on classic LEGO spaceships (which ended up being described as sensor arrays and communications antennas in marketing materials, even though the designers intended them as guns) and even the black classic spaceman, whose all-black outfits were seen as being uncomfortably aggressive. Obviously the LEGO Group feels a lot differently about that nowadays — if they didn't, themes like BIONICLE that are driven by good-versus-evil conflict and feature scary and dangerous villains would never have happened.

• Upvote 4

I guess what I was meaning more was that whereas when they have violence that "could be", in a way, with things like Space and Castle, it is merely implied (well, maybe not quite, but you know what I mean), when they have themes like Marvel and DC and whatnot, the violence is already a part of it, that they consciously know is there, but they still do it.

Like, I know it doesn't mean much nowadays, but the movies are rated PG-13.

Well it deffinityly isnt Minecraft, all the sets have been revealed now.

And Idk if theyd make BZP involved if they are revealing Jurassic World

All the sets have been revealed... but other than the Micro-Worlds, none of them have been OFFICIALLY revealed, any more than Aquagon was "officially" revealed when the first non-watermarked pics turned up on Kmart.com.

All the sets have been revealed... but other than the Micro-Worlds, none of them have been OFFICIALLY revealed, any more than Aquagon was "officially" revealed when the first non-watermarked pics turned up on Kmart.com.

Still , A huge reveal at comic con while theyre giving out tickets to BZP, For a theme that we know, and seen the new sets, That just wouldnt work

Still , A huge reveal at comic con while theyre giving out tickets to BZP, For a theme that we know, and seen the new sets, That just wouldnt work

The LEGO Group cannot control when images get leaked, and a big reveal like this would have been planned months ago. So if it WAS supposed to be Minecraft, they couldn't just change those plans because the images had already been seen, any more than they could have changed their plans to reveal Metalbeard's Sea Cow at New York Toy Fair when images of THAT set got revealed early.
  • Upvote 1

But, with the amount of stuff they've "officially" done with Minecraft before (even though it wasn't a full-fledged theme at the time), I kind of doubt they would call it a "brand new theme".

It doesn't make it any less "new" than Bionicle.

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

But, with the amount of stuff they've "officially" done with Minecraft before (even though it wasn't a full-fledged theme at the time), I kind of doubt they would call it a "brand new theme".

Same here. I'm just pointing out that leaks generally don't influence the release schedule for official reveals, so if the LEGO Group DID consider it a new theme for some reason (which I think is unlikely), it's not completely out of the question unless an official reveal happens before NYCC (which I think is likely).

I know, I was purposefully not saying anything about Bionicle - I was just saying that I don't think LEGO (or other people) would really consider Minecraft a "brand new theme" at this point.

• Upvote 1

I personally believe (and hope) that it is BIONICLE. I believe that since they want as many fans as possible, it will be a big reveal. The members of BZPower are fans of LEGO, but I doubt many are fans of Jurassic Park. BIONICLE, on the other hand, almost everyone here is a fan of. That is what this site started as, right? A BIONICLE fan site. I don't know, but that is my assumption.

I wish I could enter but there's no way that I would make it to New York.

Edited by TheSpecial
  • Upvote 1

Technically, with Minecraft sets having been produced continuously up to this point, it would make slightly less sense to refer to an extension of an existing theme as new than a reboot of a discontinued theme.

• Upvote 2