OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Of course they didn't change much. Wasn't it only a couple months since they left Mata Nui island at that point?

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I agree. I don't want Kopaka 2.0 or whatever. Bionicle is better than that.

Sure, because making negligible changes to a set's build, adding 11% more pieces on average (from 36 to 40), raising the cost by a dollar, and sticking "Nuva" after each of their names is so much better than completely revolutionizing its build, adding 67% more pieces on average (from 18 to 30), leaving the cost unchanged, and sticking "2.0" or "3.0" after its name. :sarcastic: Just keep telling yourself that.

I think the issue people had is with the numbers. I'd rather see them add 67% more pieces and call them Nuva. Would that be so bad?

As for the revolving-door cast issue, I :shrugs:. Bionicle's varied cast is one of those things that sets it apart from all other stories. Most stories have a consistent main cast (I'm looking at Lego Friends, Ninjago, and various obscureish titles). But Tolkien and Narnia have cast switches, and many people consider them to be the best stories of all time. So I hesitate to say Bionicle should not use that. 

The other thing that probably bothers people more is that all of the Toa characters from 2001-2008 were introduced 2001-2003, and mostly in 2001. The Toa Mata were the Toa, the Metru were the wise village elders, and the Inika were Matoran. To be fair, I liked that about the story - we didn't add too many new characters for the main cast. The problem was that we had so many featured characters in 2001 to begin with, and the story developers felt that all of them should be used, sometimes without development.

Then we had new characters introduced that the writers felt had to be developed, at the expense of the main cast's development. 2006 was the worst for that. In 2004-05, the Toa Metru were fighting Rahi on their own for the most part, leaving them plenty of time for character development. In 2006, all the villains were intelligent, and time had to be spent developing them at the expense of the main heroes' development. 2007 and 2008 were much the same way, although 2008 used the serials to try to develop the villains out with limited success.

When we came back to the Toa Nuva as main characters in 2008, you had to reintroduce them for the sake of the story arc. Which effectively means that whenever they were not in the spotlight, they did not mature or grow at all as characters as you would have if we had always focused on them. We came back to the Toa Nuva as we had left them in 2002, six years prior, and they had not changed at all. An incredible but necessary disservice to beloved characters.

I strongly disagree with this. The 2002-03 Toa Mata had little in the way of character development IMO. They were incredibly flat, static, and uninteresting. 

2008 was way different. Read Shadows in the Sky  for some good examples. Kopaka is using his brilliant brains to trick Shadow Matoran, admits to liking Pohatu (quite different from 2001 *cough*). Lewa is still playfully assigning names to things, but the book shows he's gotten more serious. Only Pohatu hasn't changed that much, but it's hard to improve on Pohatu. 

It's been a while since I've read Swamp of Secrets, but I remember Tahu at least being more cautious and Onua being a little more dynamic. Only Gali strikes me as static in my mind still, but even she has learned to work alone a little. They did change IMO, and they didn't need Hordika venom to do it. 

• Upvote 3

Oh please. Sticking 'new' pieces on and giving them bigger and more outlandish weapons does not equal 'revolutionary'. And for the record, there are huge difference between the Nuva's 2002 and 2008 appearances.

Hero Factory was a joke. They can make all the fancy robots they want; nothing will ever top Bionicle's ingenious blend of lore and set line.

You seem to have no idea what you're talking about. "Sticking 'new' pieces on and giving them bigger and more outlandish weapons" is what LEGO did with the Nuva, not with the 2.0 heroes. The 2.0 Heroes were completely redesigned from the ground up

the only part they arguably shared with the original heroes was the Y-joint, which was the same shape as before but with a new reinforced design.

And of course there was a huge difference between sets released in 2002 and sets released in 2008. That's what happens after six years of change. I was talking about the differences between the first wave of Toa and the second, because that was what I thought you were complaining about — introducing a new version of a character the year after they were first introduced.

In any case, my point is that there WAS such a thing as "Toa 2.0". They were called the Toa Nuva. People just like to pretend this was a radically different concept because it helps them convince themselves that everything about BIONICLE was good and everything about Hero Factory was bad. It's possible to love BIONICLE and recognize that it was better than Hero Factory without pretending that the themes had nothing in common.

I think the issue people had is with the numbers. I'd rather see them add 67% more pieces and call them Nuva. Would that be so bad?

No, it wouldn't be, but I interpreted Blueblur's comment to mean he thought BIONICLE was somehow above Hero Factory style character upgrades in general, when in fact some of BIONICLE's character upgrades were even more superficial than Hero Factory's.

• Upvote 2

As for the revolving-door cast issue, I :shrugs:. Bionicle's varied cast is one of those things that sets it apart from all other stories. Most stories have a consistent main cast (I'm looking at Lego Friends, Ninjago, and various obscureish titles). But Tolkien and Narnia have cast switches, and many people consider them to be the best stories of all time. So I hesitate to say Bionicle should not use that.

The Narnia stories are extremely episodic. Yes, they form an overall story altogether, but I might go as far as to say that The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and The Silver Chair are about as related as The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra.

Tolkien, meanwhile, had cast switches in a sense, but you're looking at it wrong here. An entire LOTR novel is equivalent to a single story year. It is consumed all at once, not in individual segments released on a yearly basis (and also not designed to sell toys). With that in mind, the cast switches in LOTR aren't like the cast switches in Bionicle, because in a single LOTR novel, all characters introduced up to that point appear consistently enough to remind you they're part of the story, and they have their own story arc throughout the story.

In other words, an LOTR-style cast switch in Bionicle is more like if the team split up, and throughout the year, we got perspectives from the different split-up teams that formed an overall story. None of them are sidelined or forgotten until their personal quest is over. What Bionicle G1 did was far more of a Narnia-style cast switch, which works better in a series of books that can all be consumed at once than a toyline series that people are likely to pick up in the middle of. (The same also somewhat applies to LOTR-type cast switches, though as long as none of the storylines extend for more than a year it wouldn't get too confusing.)

Remember that, in a toyline, the main characters always need to be available on shelves, because the intent of the story is to sell toys. Therefore, there must always be a manageable number of main protagonists, or else they can't keep them all on the shelves, and then your story has failed its purpose. Transformers can manage this with large casts because they make a ridiculously large amount of Transformers toys, so it's easy to squeeze in side characters along with that main cast. LEGO, however, with its abundance of different lines, only allots about 20 to 30 sets to constraction a year, and keeping in mind the need for the six existing protagonists and an opposition force, which usually takes up the most popular of the sets, it becomes harder to squeeze in more protagonists.

• Upvote 5

I think I would be okay if they did a Toa wave with the same characters every 2 or 3 years, I just think that personally I would like to see a new cast if the line goes on after three years. I just would want them to wrap up the Mata arch before bringing in a new team. There are advantages to keeping and changing a set of characters for Bionicle and I think it would be unfair to think there is one simple answer for both sides. 

It does make me wonder though, if 2016 follows suite of 2015 then that means we either have canister villains or canister heroes. I dont know what they would do for that. What do you guys think?

• Upvote 1

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I now have a theory on what the Temple of Time looks like. In the Legend promo video, at about 0:26, we see this building: Templeof_Time.png. It's on a hill above the rest of what's presumably a city, which could mean that it's important etc etc. Now, this would be unremarkable on its own, but in the "A New Journey Begins" image, this same building is shown again: 10378190_1510714502502961_17268032797347 Seeing as this is the only building, pretty much, which is shown in both, I'd hazard a guess that this is the Temple of Time; It sounds like it'll be fairly important in the upcoming story, so it would make sense to feature it multiple times.

• Upvote 2

VBWj75sh.png

It does make me wonder though, if 2016 follows suite of 2015 then that means we either have canister villains or canister heroes. I dont know what they would do for that. What do you guys think?

I think that thinking about these sets in BIONICLE terms like "canister sets" can be misleading. After all, not all the heroes are the same size to begin with (there are three $15 Toa and three $20 Toa), and besides, Lord of Skull Spiders already has the same price and the same box size as the $15 Toa (though, as a more Technic-intensive set, he has a much higher piece count). So for all we know the 2016 sets might start doing things like the Hero Factory Breakout series, with half heroes and half villains in each wave, spread across different price points.

Also, keep in mind that we don't necessarily know all of the 2015 sets yet! We have only seen the 13 sets from the first half of the year. There are certainly going to be sets in the summer, but what they will be and how many there will be remains a mystery.

I now have a theory on what the Temple of Time looks like. In the Legend promo video, at about 0:26, we see this building: . It's on a hill above the rest of what's presumably a city, which could mean that it's important etc etc. Now, this would be unremarkable on its own, but in the "A New Journey Begins" image, this same building is shown again:  Seeing as this is the only building, pretty much, which is shown in both, I'd hazard a guess that this is the Temple of Time; It sounds like it'll be fairly important in the upcoming story, so it would make sense to feature it multiple times.

The Temple of Time is seen in the top left of this image.

lenoMnT.png

It doesn't really look like the same building.

• Upvote 1

Are signatures still a thing?

I now have a theory on what the Temple of Time looks like. In the Legend promo video, at about 0:26, we see this building: . It's on a hill above the rest of what's presumably a city, which could mean that it's important etc etc. Now, this would be unremarkable on its own, but in the "A New Journey Begins" image, this same building is shown again:  Seeing as this is the only building, pretty much, which is shown in both, I'd hazard a guess that this is the Temple of Time; It sounds like it'll be fairly important in the upcoming story, so it would make sense to feature it multiple times.

The Temple of Time is seen in the top left of this image.

It doesn't really look like the same building.

All the same, it does look as if that building may have significance, given it is apparently at the center of the ruins that the Lord of Skull Spiders is guarding. Considering we know the islanders entombed Ekimu after he fell asleep, maybe it is his location/the location of the Mask of Creation.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

I think that thinking about these sets in BIONICLE terms like "canister sets" can be misleading. After all, not all the heroes are the same size to begin with (there are three $15 Toa and three $20 Toa), and besides, Lord of Skull Spiders already has the same price and the same box size as the $15 Toa (though, as a more Technic-intensive set, he has a much higher piece count). So for all we know the 2016 sets might start doing things like the Hero Factory Breakout series, with half heroes and half villains in each wave, spread across different price points.Also, keep in mind that we don't necessarily know all of the 2015 sets yet! We have only seen the 13 sets from the first half of the year. There are certainly going to be sets in the summer, but what they will be and how many there will be remains a mystery.

Sorry. When I say Canister I simply mean six main good/bad characters, that's all. I guess it's also important to mention there were more sets in 02 than 01 and in 03 to 02. Bionicle never followed an exact pattern I guess

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I now have a theory on what the Temple of Time looks like. In the Legend promo video, at about 0:26, we see this building: Templeof_Time.png. It's on a hill above the rest of what's presumably a city, which could mean that it's important etc etc. Now, this would be unremarkable on its own, but in the "A New Journey Begins" image, this same building is shown again: 10378190_1510714502502961_17268032797347 Seeing as this is the only building, pretty much, which is shown in both, I'd hazard a guess that this is the Temple of Time; It sounds like it'll be fairly important in the upcoming story, so it would make sense to feature it multiple times.

To me, that building looks a lot like an anvil-shape.  Maybe it's Ekimu's and Makuta's maskmaking workshop from the animation?

• Upvote 4

sqtd1i.png

^               Often lurking, occasionally writing about sets on BS01.                     

L     This link is a bit old, but there's still some good info about combiners there.

To me, that building looks a lot like an anvil-shape.  Maybe it's Ekimu's and Makuta's maskmaking workshop from the animation?

That's actually a good theory. It would make thematic sense, even if the symbolism is a little blatant.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

What else could it be? It looks like an anvil, and its in an important place. It must be their mask workshop!

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Should I even bother with Lord Skull Spider? He looks kind of generic to be honest...

He looks pretty awesome to me. He is clearly very technic based, with some sort of grabbing function, not to mention his awesome pieces. He has at least six trans-orange technic beams, six glatorian necks, and six beast claw things! Plus he has a golden skull spider piece. He also has the most parts of any of the first wave sets, yet is priced as a medium set!

• Upvote 3

The Chirox Codex

Chuck's Very Dead Comic Series

:smilehafu: This is my signature. Exciting, huh?  :ruru:

What else could it be? It looks like an anvil, and its in an important place. It must be their mask workshop!

I do think this building might be that, or in the least important enough to appear more than once. I'm honestly not sure if the "A New Journey Begins" picture is serious canon. There is often a lot of promotional art done just to be promotional, and might not be completely "real" in the canon.

I can agree with DeeVee for the most part. I have no problem with LEGO changing the character roster to freshen things up a little, but only if they wrap up the original character's story. And I'm including shoving them into stasis for a comeback three years later by that. However, going five whole years without the original heroes as sets and then dragging them back in is a terrible idea. But I really would rather not go the route of Hero Factory and use the same characters for 4 and a half years.

edit: Oh crud. Sorry, didn't realize I was like two pages back :(

Edited by Torchbearer

I really hope the "a new journey begins" is official in the sense of it being an actual location on Okoto, I absolutely love that picture, it's my desktop background currently. It really gives off the "epic adventure" vibe and the mystery that awaits the Toa, I also love how the Toa look. The best part is the architecture and obelisks, I really love the art style they're going for.

• Upvote 1

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

I wonder if the old announcer for the commercials- Tony Wedgeworth was his name, I think- will be returning.

I read somewhere that was him in The Legend Animation. Sounds a bit different, but similar enough it could be him. Just what I heard. :shrugs:

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

Should I even bother with Lord Skull Spider? He looks kind of generic to be honest...

You definitely should. He's got a complex and interesting function and is very reminiscent of the 2001 Rahi (in fact, in terms of his overall price and price-per-piece he's quite similar to the Nui Rama, save for being one larger creature instead of two smaller ones). We haven't had a Technic-based creature set like this one since 2003, and I have little doubt that strong sales of LOSS will help to send the message that we want more sets like that in the future. He's also the only non-humanoid set in the first wave of Bionicle, and that too is something we should hope to have more of going forward.

• Upvote 2

Can someone who touched the sets answer me if Lewa's green is Mata green or Green Lantern's green ? Thanks.

Green Lantern's Green

Also officially known as Bright Green. (Mata Green is officially known as Dark Green, & Metru Green is officially known as Earth Green.)

• Upvote 3

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Can someone who touched the sets answer me if Lewa's green is Mata green or Green Lantern's green ? Thanks.

Green Lantern's Green

Also officially known as Bright Green. (Mata Green is officially known as Dark Green, & Metru Green is officially known as Earth Green.)

Wow! Nailed it! Usually people rely on me and my brother to specify things like that, and I have to say it's a rare treat to see someone else who cares!

Fun (if somewhat tangential) fact. A lot of people often think of Bright Green as a "new color", since it's only recently started appearing in basic bricks or constraction parts. But it's actually one of the oldest colors, first appearing in the 1950s! It was absent for a long period, but reappeared in the '90s, mostly used for things like baseplates or plant parts. Despite its age, Green Lantern was the first constraction set to use that color, and 2015 will mark the first time it will be used in Bionicle.

• Upvote 3

Green Lantern's Green

Wow! Nailed it! Usually people rely on me and my brother to specify things like that, and I have to say it's a rare treat to see someone else who cares!

It's in LDD xD

Edited by Zidonaro

Green Lantern's Green

It's in LDD xD

I know, but you'd be surprised how many people don't care enough to look it up.

I don't buy sets because of their looks/functions. I buy sets because of their story importance and characterization. I kind of forgot to point that out.

Sorry.

Huh I buy them because of their looks and functions.

I buy sets because of the parts, looks and functions. Especially parts. I remember thinking 2008 Takanuva would have another white Inika foot on his back... but he didn't. Sometimes I'd be like, "Oh look this set was in the story doing this I should buy it!" but it was rare.

• Upvote 2

I HATE SCORPIOS

I don't buy sets because of their looks/functions. I buy sets because of their story importance and characterization. I kind of forgot to point that out.

Sorry.

I totally understand that perspective. Ideally, a really good character design ought to be some synchronicity between the appearance and the characterization. An agile character like Lewa ought to be lean and flexible-looking, while a powerful character like Onua ought to look sturdy and well-grounded. But there are of course some character traits that are much harder to convey visually, and some physical characteristics that are not evocative of a particular personality trait.

I often base my purchasing decision on a combination of a character's story role and its sets or pieces. In the old BIONICLE I would strictly get the red and white sets, but I've since realized that this is a rather poor way of deciding which sets to get as it means there's little actual decision-making on my part. I feel better about spending money when I know I'm doing it conscientiously, and that means considering how the set looks, what it represents in the story, and how it will influence my creative building.

• Upvote 1

Personally I'm a lot more impressed when someone makes very nice use of that color in a MOC than bothering themselves to look up a silly name that doesn't particularly matter. But hey, preferences.

I don't mean to insult anyone who DOESN'T have a wide knowledge of official color names (most of which rarely amount to more than useless trivia). I had read the post about "Green Lantern green" and decided against correcting it because it wasn't really that relevant. But it was certainly nice to see someone else with some color knowledge pipe up with the actual names, since sometimes it seems like my brother and I are the only ones who care about that.

Knowing about color names DOES help in some situations, particularly when comparing different colors. For instance, in the case of the aforementioned green, it's nice to know that Dark Green (Lewa's old green) is pretty much a middle ground between Bright Green (Green Lantern/2015 Lewa) and Earth Green (Metru Green). You can make a similar observation about 2015 Pohatu's Dark Orange, which is sort of a happy medium between his old Earth Orange (Mata Brown) and 2008 Pohatu's Bright Orange.

And, of course, knowledge of colors extends past the color names—knowing a color's history is useful as well. And that IS useful information when MOCing, especially in a rare color, since it's nice to have at least a general idea of what sorts of parts are available in a color without having to look it up.

• Upvote 1

Personally I'm a lot more impressed when someone makes very nice use of that color in a MOC than bothering themselves to look up a silly name that doesn't particularly matter. But hey, preferences.

I don't mean to insult anyone who DOESN'T have a wide knowledge of official color names (most of which rarely amount to more than useless trivia). I had read the post about "Green Lantern green" and decided against correcting it because it wasn't really that relevant. But it was certainly nice to see someone else with some color knowledge pipe up with the actual names, since sometimes it seems like my brother and I are the only ones who care about that.

Knowing about color names DOES help in some situations, particularly when comparing different colors. For instance, in the case of the aforementioned green, it's nice to know that Dark Green (Lewa's old green) is pretty much a middle ground between Bright Green (Green Lantern/2015 Lewa) and Earth Green (Metru Green). You can make a similar observation about 2015 Pohatu's Dark Orange, which is sort of a happy medium between his old Earth Orange (Mata Brown) and 2008 Pohatu's Bright Orange.

And, of course, knowledge of colors extends past the color names—knowing a color's history is useful as well. And that IS useful information when MOCing, especially in a rare color, since it's nice to have at least a general idea of what sorts of parts are available in a color without having to look it up.

I've got a bit of color knowledge, but it is nothing compared to your and Aanchir's knowledge of colors. It is because of you two that I began to learn more about the colors and their histories. I'm still quite a newb at it, but I gotta thank you two.

• Upvote 1

I HATE SCORPIOS

Green Lantern's Green

Fun (if somewhat tangential) fact. A lot of people often think of Bright Green as a "new color", since it's only recently started appearing in basic bricks or constraction parts. But it's actually one of the oldest colors, first appearing in the 1950s! It was absent for a long period, but reappeared in the '90s, mostly used for things like baseplates or plant parts. Despite its age, Green Lantern was the first constraction set to use that color, and 2015 will mark the first time it will be used in Bionicle.

Nice fun fact! :) Didn't know the color was that old. Kinda weird that what is normally thought of as just "Green" is actually "Dark Green". I'm not really sure which shade of green I like better. :P

• Upvote 2

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Sorry.

Now that's a little... unusual.

That's what I do though... I guess... 

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

LOL I wasnt offended if any of you guys think that, considering I was the one who answered "Green Lantern Green" . I answered it simply as "Green Lantern Green" since the guy who asked the question had clearly asked "Was it Mata Green or Green Lantern Green?". If I had responded with "Bright Green" completely ignoring the choices of color he gave for his reference, he probably wouldve been confused since he didnt ask if it was that color at all in the first place.