How did Chutespeak/Treespeak develop?

chutespeak was invented by the Le-Matoran of Metru Nui, who, to put it really eloquently, like to go fast. naturally, this also applies to their speech. if i recall correctly, Orkahm, who prefers to take it slow, doesn't use chutespeak. as for how the Le-Matoran relearned it as treespeak, that was likely Matau's doing.

I'd say it developed in the same way most dialects form - a specific group of people in a specific environment adapting their language for their own convenience and ease of use. Also as with slang, it possibly is a kind of point of pride for them culturally? As the how they didn't forget - I don't think the other Matoran forgot how to speak normal Matoran, so I don't see why they would forget Chutespeak? :P

• Upvote 2
photo-50441.gif

Credit to Pohuaki for the awesome banner! ^_^

If I recall correctly it was created in 2001 so that Matoran could speak secretly between them and fool Rahi who tried to catch them. Story-wise I´d say because of the personalities of most of the Le-Matoran. 

Turaga Matau re-taught them how to speak it, also Piruk doesn't speak it ut Defilak does, thereason because e most likely travelled to Metru Nui one day and pikd up the slang.

The 2001 explanation sounds like an answer Turaga Matau might have given when the Le-Matoran asked him why the other tribes spoke differently. Personally I don't see how they would have forgotten the dialect, since they didn't forget how to speak. 

As for its origin, it does seem to be the only dialect of Matoran currently used aside from the standard one, which seems odd. None of Metru/Mata Nui's other elements have their own dialect, and Le-Metru was probably the least isolated district, being the transportation center.

( The bunny slippers hiss and slither into the shadows. ) -Takuaka: Toa of Time

What if the Toa you know best were not destined to be? Interchange: The epic begins

Either Matau re-taught them how to speak it (maybe so Matau didn't stand out so much from everyone else seeing as it would make no sense for him to forget it) or it was ingrained in their minds so that they never forgot it, much like people suffering from amnesia don't commonly forget their native language.

Chutespeak probably arose as a cultural thing, related to their common love of moving fast as someone mentioned earlier. The Orkahm example further helps with this theory.

:mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

I doubt Matau had to reteach them. It was probably ingrained into them over time to the point where it was equivalent to how the rest of the Matoran spoke normally. Besides, why would Matau go through the trouble? I suppose it would have been nice for him to have other people to speak it with, but it didn't serve a practical purpose. Plus, the idea as for the Matoran to not remember Metru Nui, so the Turaga would have probably avoiding possibly tapping into old memories.

If I recall correctly it was created in 2001 so that Matoran could speak secretly between them and fool Rahi who tried to catch them. Story-wise I´d say because of the personalities of most of the Le-Matoran. 

Turaga Matau re-taught them how to speak it, also Piruk doesn't speak it ut Defilak does, thereason because e most likely travelled to Metru Nui one day and pikd up the slang.

The 2001 explanation sounds like an answer Turaga Matau might have given when the Le-Matoran asked him why the other tribes spoke differently. Personally I don't see how they would have forgotten the dialect, since they didn't forget how to speak. 

As for its origin, it does seem to be the only dialect of Matoran currently used aside from the standard one, which seems odd. None of Metru/Mata Nui's other elements have their own dialect, and Le-Metru was probably the least isolated district, being the transportation center.

I agree, that is an interesting way that Matau might have explained it. Like how Vakama had the legend of Lhii.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I've recently thought of a theory about treespeak - could it actually be a more archaic version of Matoran?

My reasoning is this:

The most notable feature of treespeak is the "linked work" things, such as "wind-fly" and "tree-climb". In ancient (or at least archaic) english, there were these things called "kennings" that were much the same thing, "wave-walker" and the such.

As time went on, we developed separate words that expressed the same things that the kennings did, so they phased out of our language.

But it could sort of be the same thing with Matoran. Just a thought.

• Upvote 3
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

I would just think it was developed the way all languages on earth are developed, starts from an ancient species or beings, and then eventually the language takes its own path only staying connected with the Le-Matoran over time and straying away from the other Koro's languages

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

It's a glitch. Like everything that led to what we love about Bionicle started out as a glitch a hundred thousand years ago, all Le-Matoran are affected by a particularly nasty one :P

Lol that's a funny way to put things. Eh, saying everything in Bionicle was a "glitch" just sounds so wrong... even though it's true...

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Although Metru Nui was a whole island, the characters of the Toa Metru all seemed rather distant from one another. Most of the Le-Matoran probably had little or no interaction with Matoran from other Metrus.

An example I can think of is Scotland and England. They may border one another, but the Scottish have their accents due to being together in their country, due to word changes and whatnot. Time changes many things.

As for why they remembered it, their minds weren't completely wiped. Nuparu still had the urge to make machines and tinker, for example. Matau probably had a helping hand, also.

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

Slang, really.

So you got an entire community of folks who really love their racing machines and speed. Gotta cut down on time taken to speak.

Doesn't chutespeak add to the time it takes to speak though? Instead of "quick", you say "quick-fast". That's two words vs one.

That's 'cause Treespeak wasn't written the same all the time; rather than "quick-fast" which is just two synonyms mashed together, we had stuff like "mysteryking" and "darkthought" and "secondthink" and "answer-finding" and "happy-luck", basically the words and ideas that were mashed together supplemented eachother and were often pretty creative and conveyed thoughts that wouldn't need to be explained to be fully understood. I've found the quality of Treespeak to have been best at the beginning of Bionicle.

Edited by Pomegranate
  • Upvote 1

pomegranate-banner-sm.png .

Treespeak in MNOG definitely sped things up, so I've always thought that was probably why Chutespeak developed. To be honest, Greg never seemed to get that about Treespeak; he just threw in a few dashed words here and there, but it was clearly an efficiency thing in the web team's intent as seen with Kongu, Tamaru, and Matau in MNOG. (Then again, it was really hard to read, so it was probably a good choice for the books and comics to go lighter on it. Anywho.)

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

• 2 weeks later...

Slang, really.

So you got an entire community of folks who really love their racing machines and speed. Gotta cut down on time taken to speak.

Doesn't chutespeak add to the time it takes to speak though? Instead of "quick", you say "quick-fast". That's two words vs one.

That's 'cause Treespeak wasn't written the same all the time; rather than "quick-fast" which is just two synonyms mashed together, we had stuff like "mysteryking" and "darkthought" and "secondthink" and "answer-finding" and "happy-luck", basically the words and ideas that were mashed together supplemented eachother and were often pretty creative and conveyed thoughts that wouldn't need to be explained to be fully understood. I've found the quality of Treespeak to have been best at the beginning of Bionicle.

For sure. In MNOG, the defining characteristic of Treespeak other than the myriad of compound words was dropping pronouns, articles, various forms of the verb "to be," etc. where they were implied, which was at least as much of a factor in speeding it up as the compound words. And that was the part Greg never got.

I honestly think it would have been a much better decision to drop Treespeak/Chutespeak after 2003 and say it was something that originated on Mata Nui, because then we would have been spared the painful, progressive decline of Greg's efforts at writing it. Defilak's dialogue was just abysmal.

• Upvote 1

-------------------------------------
bohrok_lol.jpg
-------------------------------------
Rate The Song Above You