I am not sure if this is the right place to put this, but...

Do you think Lego should release all the Bionicle books & story serials (etc) of a given year/story arch (depends on how many were released for that said time period) in honor of Bionicle's return in 2015? We can talk about that in specific details.

Also, would it be economical (would they sell)? Would you buy said new novels, even if you already have the individual books already?

If new novels were to be released, I would think it wise to list the books as volumes.

What do you think?

Edited by Iaredios

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I would think the novels would make a comeback, just to make it feel like old times when BIONICLE was not just about the sets but a hugely detailed story with many 'plot twists' and arguably the best story told in LEGO history, in fact the best because no other theme had a story that was even close in complexity and detail, four separate movies and over 30 novels and books, with nine years of experience. So overall it would be awesome if those novels and serials would be released again!

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

I would think the novels would make a comeback, just to make it feel like old times when BIONICLE was not just about the sets but a hugely detailed story with many 'plot twists' and arguably the best story told in LEGO history, in fact the best because no other theme had a story that was even close in complexity and detail, four separate movies and over 30 novels and books, with nine years of experience. So overall it would be awesome if those novels and serials would be released again!

I was saying, re-releasing all the books in a given year or story arch into a single novel or two with the serials included. If my memory is correct, there has only been one novel released but it was still small as it only combined the first three 'Bionicle Adventures' books. I am saying, take that concept and apply it to a year (example: 2006) or an entire story arch (2006-2008): would it work?

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

I was saying, re-releasing all the books in a given year or story arch into a single novel or two with the serials included. If my memory is correct, there has only been one novel released but it was still small as it only combined the first three 'Bionicle Adventures' books. I am saying, take that concept and apply it to a year (example: 2006) or an entire story arch (2006-2008): would it work?

Oh ok sorry i misread the question, i think that would work because it would make the entire series of books from a story arch like you said and make it compact and easy to read without having to change books once finished one of them. So yeah i think overall it would work, i mean i would definitely buy them if that was the case :)

Plus i saw in your profile you live in Arizona, are you a Cardinals fan by any chance?

Edited by randomreviewerbros

Go check out our Youtube channel! We review BIONICLE and other LEGO related items!
https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomReviewerBros

I wouldn't be opposed to that idea - I would buy them. I'd much rather that they put all the old books (Chronicles, Adventures, Legends, 2009 books, JE) in one book, though. That way I can ditch all the flimsy paperbacks and just carry one volume around. 

Yeah, since the books were flimsy and had giant text, I would like to see all the books and serials made into one volume.The story would feel more cohesive that way, and it would be a lot easier to introduce new people to BIONICLE. 

It would also be cool if said volume had a CD-ROM or a download code for the early online games and Flash animations that were part of the story.

I miss BIONICLE.

It's not entirely LEGO's decision. The stories are under copyright by Scholastic, so it's their call whether they want to print a new edition or release the stories as e-books. Now, if LEGO were adamantly opposed to the idea, they could probably tell Scholastic NOT to reprint them, but I don't think it'd ever come to that.

I think releasing e-books would make more sense than printing a new edition. I can't think why Scholastic would want to do the latter — it'd be a big expense for stories that don't even directly relate to the current products, which would blow a huge hole in the demand for those stories.

• Upvote 1

It's not entirely LEGO's decision. The stories are under copyright by Scholastic, so it's their call whether they want to print a new edition or release the stories as e-books. Now, if LEGO were adamantly opposed to the idea, they could probably tell Scholastic NOT to reprint them, but I don't think it'd ever come to that.

I think releasing e-books would make more sense than printing a new edition. I can't think why Scholastic would want to do the latter — it'd be a big expense for stories that don't even directly relate to the current products, which would blow a huge hole in the demand for those stories.

And don't forget that the original books didn't sell that well. That's why there were fewer books each year—the Bionicle books struggled to maintain a consistently high sales record. The demand for collected volumes would be even lower since many of the fans who cared about those stories either aren't interested in Bionicle any more, or still have the original books and thus would have less demand for compilations.

And besides all that, the most problematic part is that rereleasing old stories could have a NEGATIVE impact on fan engagement, especially if the new theme turns out to be a reboot. Unless Lego made it explicitly clear that the books being released were old stories and did not relate to the current sets or characters, new fans who bought the old books hoping for further stories about the current theme would most likely end up confused and disappointed, and might not invest in future Bionicle books expecting something similar to happen again.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

And don't forget that the original books didn't sell that well. That's why there were fewer books each year—the Bionicle books struggled to maintain a consistently high sales record. The demand for collected volumes would be even lower since many of the fans who cared about those stories either aren't interested in Bionicle any more, or still have the original books and thus would have less demand for compilations.

And besides all that, the most problematic part is that rereleasing old stories could have a NEGATIVE impact on fan engagement, especially if the new theme turns out to be a reboot. Unless Lego made it explicitly clear that the books being released were old stories and did not relate to the current sets or characters, new fans who bought the old books hoping for further stories about the current theme would most likely end up confused and disappointed, and might not invest in future Bionicle books expecting something similar to happen again.

That is, IF it is a reboot. If it is, then by all means you are thoroughly correct.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

It seems very, very likely it will be a reboot. So likely, in fact, I find it ridiculous people have to tack the qualifying statement "IF it's a reboot" to anyone who doesn't outright state the very slight possibility of a continuation.

But we have had no real confirmation yet and there still seems to be some evidence for a continuation. Greg himself said not to get any ideas based on what we've seen (though it's true that actually points more towards a reboot). Still, there may be plenty of evidence for a reboot but going ahead and saying it purely is because of that is a little bit rash. I do agree that it probably is a reboot, but I'm keeping my mind open to whatever Lego offers us.

And let's keep this confined to the offical topic. Though I can completely see why it's spilling out.  ^_^

I don't really see a re-release or volumes of the old books for reasons already pointed out. As cool as that would be, there simply isn't a real need to. I'm pretty sure Lego and scholastic are a lot more focused on this type of stuff for the new Bionicle, which is what they're really putting their tokens on selling, not something else they made years ago.

It seems very, very likely it will be a reboot. So likely, in fact, I find it ridiculous people have to tack the qualifying statement "IF it's a reboot" to anyone who doesn't outright state the very slight possibility of a continuation.

But we have had no real confirmation yet and there still seems to be some evidence for a continuation. Greg himself said not to get any ideas based on what we've seen (though it's true that actually points more towards a reboot). Still, there may be plenty of evidence for a reboot but going ahead and saying it purely is because of that is a little bit rash. I do agree that it probably is a reboot, but I'm keeping my mind open to whatever Lego offers us.

I'm not saying it's undebatable, but I am tired of people constantly tacking on "IF it's a reboot" when replying to reboot-centered posts because it has ceased to be a productive line of discussion.

I brought it up in this topic because it had the latest instance of the phenomenon.

I'm not saying it's undebatable, but I am tired of people constantly tacking on "IF it's a reboot" when replying to reboot-centered posts because it has ceased to be a productive line of discussion.

I brought it up in this topic because it had the latest instance of the phenomenon.

I haven't seen such a response yet, so I am sorry for angering you by addressing a reminder that it could go either way.

If it is a continuation, it would be a nice treat to both new and old fans alike (and unless not promoted properly like in the past, it could be profitable if done right), but as said previously if it is a reboot then this would be absurd.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

They probably won't bother compiling the older books - they're still being sold and I remember the sales for the scholastic ones weren't that great. Plus, I think AMEET probably has the rights to Journey's End so that wouldn't be able to be included.

The price will probably be too high for an average consumer and I can't really see anyone minus hardcore fans going for these. As for me, I might go for it if it really did happen, since I own only a small chunk of the books.

I would definitely not mind if they made eBooks of the novels though. 

And finally, they will make new novels, but they'll probably be in the vain of the Hero Factory and Ninjago ones (side-stories).

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

They probably won't bother compiling the older books - they're still being sold and I remember the sales for the scholastic ones weren't that great. Plus, I think AMEET probably has the rights to Journey's End so that wouldn't be able to be included.

The price will probably be too high for an average consumer and I can't really see anyone minus hardcore fans going for these. As for me, I might go for it if it really did happen, since I own only a small chunk of the books.

And finally, they will make new novels, but they'll probably be in the vain of the Hero Factory and Ninjago ones (side-stories).

-NotS

I haven't been following Hero Factory or Ninjago; so the books are side-stories now? Are they like the serials? How is the main stories delivered? 

I miss BIONICLE.

First year? Doubt it.

Although depending in popularity of 2015, they might rerelease volumes/ graphic novels of the previous story.

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***

-NotS

I haven't been following Hero Factory or Ninjago; so the books are side-stories now? Are they like the serials? How is the main stories delivered?

The main stories for Ninjago, Hero Factory, and Legends of Chima are all told through the TV episodes. The books and graphic novels generally tell side-stories that take place in between the events of the TV episodes. They're not quite like the BIONICLE serials, since the Ninjago, Hero Factory, and Legends of Chima books tend to have the same main characters as the TV episodes, while the BIONICLE serials tended to focus on characters OTHER than those that the main story was focusing on.

I think a better comparison would be certain BIONICLE books like BIONICLE Adventures #3: The Darkness Below, BIONICLE Adventures #10: Time Trap, or the various BIONICLE readers, all of which told stories that took place in between the year's primary quests. For instance, The Darkness Below takes place AFTER the Toa Metru use the Great Disks to defeat the King Root of the Morbuzakh, but BEFORE they present the Great Disks in the Coliseum and are declared outlaws. And Time Trap takes place AFTER the Visorak horde is defeated, but BEFORE the Toa Metru give up their Toa power to revive the Matoran.

• Upvote 3

-NotS

The main stories for Ninjago, Hero Factory, and Legends of Chima are all told through the TV episodes. The books and graphic novels generally tell side-stories that take place in between the events of the TV episodes. They're not quite like the BIONICLE serials, since the Ninjago, Hero Factory, and Legends of Chima books tend to have the same main characters as the TV episodes, while the BIONICLE serials tended to focus on characters OTHER than those that the main story was focusing on.

I think a better comparison would be certain BIONICLE books like BIONICLE Adventures #3: The Darkness Below, BIONICLE Adventures #10: Time Trap, or the various BIONICLE readers, all of which told stories that took place in between the year's primary quests. For instance, The Darkness Below takes place AFTER the Toa Metru use the Great Disks to defeat the King Root of the Morbuzakh, but BEFORE they present the Great Disks in the Coliseum and are declared outlaws. And Time Trap takes place AFTER the Visorak horde is defeated, but BEFORE the Toa Metru give up their Toa power to revive the Matoran.

Interesting. So would that mean that BIONICLE would have a TV series? I personally hope not, as I was never a huge fan of the movies. They just seemed kind of off to me, because of the tone and pacing seeming kind of like they had children in mind, and the voice acting isn't really what you expect. I always preferred that the main story be told through written material. 

Edited by Magnetic Vorahk
I miss BIONICLE.

Interesting. So would that mean that BIONICLE would have a TV series? I personally hope not, as I was never a huge fan of the movies. They just seemed kind of off to me, because of the tone and pacing seeming kind of like they had children in mind, and the voice acting isn't really what you expect. I always preferred that the main story be told through written material.

I think a TV series or at least a TV special is very likely, since it looks like BIONICLE is shaping up to be the LEGO Group's "big bang" theme for next year (the theme they are going to be focusing their promotional efforts on). Every "big bang" theme since 2010 has had at least a TV special if not a full series or miniseries.

But with that said, of course the movies had children in mind. The entire theme had children in mind, because it existed to promote a kids' toy. The fact that it was high enough quality for adults to enjoy it does not mean that any part of the theme was designed specifically for them. Even the books, as dark and violent as they sometimes were, were targeted at children — it's just that kids and parents alike often have a greater tolerance for dark themes or violent action in written form than in any visual form.

I'm actually hoping that in the new BIONICLE, there might be less of a disparity between the tone of the written media and the tone of the visual media. The LEGO Ninjago books, graphic novels, and television series have done a fairly good job maintaining a consistent tone and consistent characterization across the various media. As you mention, the voice acting in the movies was sometimes not what you expected. And that's just one kind of discrepancy that can make it harder for fans of a story in one medium to relate to fans of the same story in another medium. Ideally, fans should be able to jump from a story in one medium to a story in another medium without the sense that one or the other doesn't fit in.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

I think it would be realistic for the serials to return, as well as novellas in the form of E-Books. As for actual text books and graphic novels, well that's a definite maybe.

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur