Trans Blue Kaukau limited to 200 pieces

http://notanoveltyaccountok.tumblr.com/post/118328211660/lego-inside-tour-day-one-all-the-cool-stuff-ive

a tumblr user posted a haul of goodies from a Lego inside tour including a transparent blue Kaukau/Mask of Water.

It is the rarest g2 mask released so far at only 200 pieces, and from the packaging looks to be exclusive to this specific event.

This is absolutely unfair, and in my opinion a bit of a jerk move from Lego.

Gali was known for her transparent mask, yet she is the only Toa so far to not have a transparent or partially-transparent mask.

I know that the clear Hau was also an exclusive, but 1,500 pieces is a lot more than 200.

Lego knows that a transparent mask for Gali is one of the most-desired variants, and yet they make hers the rarest.

It also strikes me as a little bit sexist that the sole female character's mask is the hardest to obtain.

• Upvote 7

Really... They seriously did that? Okay, the mask is amazing. Also, I can forgive LEGO for not giving us a transparent Gali mask, but come on. Seriously. Like SailorQuaoar said, Gali was the only Toa with a default transparent mask, yet they make the new version rare this year. What made them do that?

I agree; this is a jerk move. What were they trying to accomplish here?

• Upvote 1

mindeth the cobwebs

Yeah, it's pretty unfair. But oh well. I guess I can live without ONE collectible. ;(

Hopefully one of 'em pops up on Ebay or something. 

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

SWEET JESUS!

I'm going on the Lego Inside Tour in less than two weeks!

I assume 200 is the number of people for all of this year's tours... if so, that means my brother and I should each be getting one of these bad boys!

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 6

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Yeah, it's pretty unfair. But oh well. I guess I can live without ONE collectible. ;(

Do you know how much that mask will be though? Upwards of $100 for one piece of plastic. The word that I want to use to describe this situation is not a word I am allowed to say on this site.

• Upvote 1

Do you know how much that mask will be though? Upwards of $100 for one piece of plastic. The word that I want to use to describe this situation is not a word I am allowed to say on this site.

Well, those special Krana  from 2001-2002 go for that and people still buy them. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

This is awesome, and I hope I'll be getting one when I attend the LEGO Inside Tour later this month! The Mask of Water is my favorite mask, after all, and the new Gali is my favorite Toa. However, even if I don't have a chance at getting one (like if they move onto another mask, or if the whole exclusive mask offer is only for the first Inside Tour group this year — the "188 out of 200" numbering is a bit ominous), I won't be complaining.

I have never had a lot of sympathy for complaints about exclusives being... well, exclusive. Often, with exclusives like this, it's a choice between these being produced for exclusive giveaways and not being produced at all, and nobody would be any better off if they weren't produced at all. And yet, any time there's an exclusive of any kind, you see these kinds of complaints.

I'm just happy that this exists as a special souvenir for the people who are lucky enough to get their hands on one. If I don't get one, it wouldn't be the first time I've missed out on a BIONICLE mask, but that's OK, because I understand that not everything can be available to everybody. I actually feel even happier to know that my favorite BIONICLE mask was considered special enough to be used as a souvenir item at this event.

Finally, let's not get ahead of ourselves in assuming there were in fact only 200 made. The transparent Tahu masks given out at the LEGO VIP event at NYCC last year said were numbered "out of only 100 made", but we know that there were actually 1500 of those if not more (the ones given out at the con itself were even marked as such, though they were not numbered individually). This could be a similar case, where the "X/200" numbering applies to the packaging and not to the mask, and the mask itself will be distributed in greater numbers through other means.

Note that last year's Inside Tour set was also distributed through two other exclusive giveaways (presumably without the exclusive Inside Tour packaging, which includes pictures of the tour group itself).

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 4

This is awesome, and I hope I'll be getting one when I attend the LEGO Inside Tour later this month! The Mask of Water is my favorite mask, after all, and the new Gali is my favorite Toa. However, even if I don't have a chance at getting one (like if they move onto another mask, or if the whole exclusive mask offer is only for the first Inside Tour group this year — the "188 out of 200" numbering is a bit ominous), I won't be complaining.

I have never had a lot of sympathy for complaints about exclusives being... well, exclusive. Often, with exclusives like this, it's a choice between these being produced for exclusive giveaways and not being produced at all, and nobody would be any better off if they weren't produced at all. And yet, any time there's an exclusive of any kind, you see these kinds of complaints.

I'm just happy that this exists as a special souvenir for the people who are lucky enough to get their hands on one. If I don't get one, it wouldn't be the first time I've missed out on a BIONICLE mask, but that's OK, because I understand that not everything can be available to everybody. I actually feel even happier to know that my favorite BIONICLE mask was considered special enough to be used as a souvenir item at this event.

Finally, let's not get ahead of ourselves in assuming there were in fact only 200 made. The transparent Tahu masks given out at the LEGO VIP event at NYCC last year said were numbered "out of only 100 made", but we know that there were actually 1500 of those if not more (the ones given out at the con itself were even marked as such, though they were not numbered individually). This could be a similar case, where the "X/200" numbering applies to the packaging and not to the mask, and the mask itself will be distributed in greater numbers through other means.

Note that last year's Inside Tour set was also distributed through two other exclusive giveaways (presumably without the exclusive Inside Tour packaging, which includes pictures of the tour group itself).

Just because you don't consider it a problem doesn't mean it isn't one. Many people I know are outraged that this mask was not only an exclusive, but an incredibly niche one.

Your response to this was basically "I'm getting one so who cares what the rest of you commoners think".

Lewa, Onua, Kopaka, and Pohatu have trans/gold mixed masks. Tahu has a trans orange one in the Hero Pack. All five of these masks are (or will be) widely available.

I was hoping that a transparent Kaukau would be the mask that's going to be included with the upcoming novel, but now I see that this isn't the case. (my guess is that it will be a trans apple green Lewa mask)

As much as I'm happy that Lego has brought Bionicle back, the franchise has been mishandled in a lot of ways. Lego is playing it way too safe with the minimal and dumbed down story, and they don't quite seem to grasp what made Bionicle so compelling when it launched.

A lot of fans on BZP and elsewhere were hoping for more equal gender representation in the relaunch of Bionicle. But if the poll on Lego.com is to be believed, all the Protectors are male, leaving Gali as the only woman on the entire island. That's even worse than the previous gender ratio.

I was afraid that having no gender restrictions on tribes would just give Lego an excuse to make all important characters male (just like for Bara Magna) and sadly, it looks like I was right.

This combined with Gali's classic mask color being unobtainable for 95% of fans is a slap in the face to anyone who wanted a more egalitarian Bionicle.

• Upvote 6

I'm tempted to mold Gali's mask and make everyone here their own translucent version. Seems as fair as what Lego pulled.

To be honest I don't think Lego is taking Bionicle seriously at all. The uneven effort in design, the issues in storytelling, even promotions like this. It's all a game to them in my opinion. I think Bionicle needs to be treated as it once was. With dedication and community.

• Upvote 4

I'm tempted to mold Gali's mask and make everyone here their own translucent version. Seems as fair as what Lego pulled.

To be honest I don't think Lego is taking Bionicle seriously at all. The uneven effort in design, the issues in storytelling, even promotions like this. It's all a game to them in my opinion. I think Bionicle needs to be treated as it once was. With dedication and community.

After seeing those design videos which tell us a whole lot of nothing, I sincerely doubt how anyone could seriously believe that they care very much about the reboot.

• Upvote 3

You can find all of my mocs, custom parts, and other lego-related stuff at Flickr, Instagram, or Brickshelf.

It's sad that there are only 200 available. I feel like they could've had more made...perhaps it is still that mask that comes with the novel and the lego group is just teasing us about it right now? But if you can make the exact mold and get the transparent part, I will gladly accept.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

It's sad that there are only 200 available. I feel like they could've had more made...perhaps it is still that mask that comes with the novel and the lego group is just teasing us about it right now? But if you can make the exact mold and get the transparent part, I will gladly accept.

I've made transparent dye before. A paint that gives a translucent effect. (Water, Blue Paint, and Salt) Which allowed me to make the effect of an underwater city. It shouldn't be too hard to find out how to apply that to plastic. Now if only I could get a molding machine...

• Upvote 2

This combined with Gali's classic mask color being unobtainable for 95% of fans is a slap in the face to anyone who wanted a more egalitarian Bionicle.

Um, what? The availability of Gali's mask has absolutely nothing to do with anything about being egalitarian or the gender distribution. Whose mask the exclusive one is has no relation to the gender distribution of characters, which remains the same regardless. Also, this topic seems like a strange place to pull out a huge rant on why you don't like stuff in the reboot. We have other topics for that.

Anyway, that mask looks amazing, and whoever gets one is very lucky indeed!

~B~

Edited by Ballom
  • Upvote 5

I have a feeling this is probably the same mask as what's in the activity book coming out, but we'll see. I actually like this more for the packaging than the mask =P.

Alternatively, it could see a wider release with a different numbering system, which is what the NYCC mask essentially did. No need to get too riled up just yet.

I've made transparent dye before. A paint that gives a translucent effect. (Water, Blue Paint, and Salt) Which allowed me to make the effect of an underwater city. It shouldn't be too hard to find out how to apply that to plastic. Now if only I could get a molding machine...

So you have polycarbonate or a similar material to make the masks from?

You can find all of my mocs, custom parts, and other lego-related stuff at Flickr, Instagram, or Brickshelf.

I have a feeling this is probably the same mask as what's in the activity book coming out, but we'll see. I actually like this more for the packaging than the mask =P.

Alternatively, it could see a wider release with a different numbering system, which is what the NYCC mask essentially did. No need to get too riled up just yet.

Haha, yeah, I hope that's the case. Looks like a very lovely mask, and brings back way too many memories of the original. I think it's quite understandable that there's a lot of jealousy over this, especially since Lego Tours are harder to land than attendance at ComicCon (or so I believe.)

Although have any of the clear Hau / masks of fire come from somewhere else besides NYCC or DeeVee?

:music:

• Upvote 1

So you have polycarbonate or a similar material to make the masks from?

Yep. My grandfather made model trains from scratch as a hobby. Our garage is like a miniature Home Depot. I'm surprised my family never thought about making anything besides using some things for home remodeling. We have polycarbonate, clay, paints, dyes, I'm sure there's other things to use but this is outside my comfort zone...

I was wondering if we'd see a trans Mask of Water and this is fantastic. Looks cool and albeit probably unintentional, is a great callback to the original Gali's Kaukau.

Regardless, I do agree that it is disappointing that it is so limited. The clear Hau I could understand but looks like my trans collection of Masks of Power will be incomplete. :(

EDIT: If this mask does end up being the activity book exclusive mask, I will be a happy man!

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

I'm surprised people think this is a "jerk move" by LEGO. It's not like this is a new idea. In 2001 we had the solid gold Hau, limited to around 30 copies. 2003 had the SSKK, with only 72 available to the public, and the WMKK at 3000 copies (granted, considerably more, but still a very limited release). In a more similar vein to the trans-blue 2015 Kaukau would be the VMKK and GPKK, given out only to the lucky few in the Bionicle Van Tour and the Proto Squad in 2003.

The point is, LEGO has always done exclusive releases. This is just the latest one. It's unfortunate that only a few people will be able to get such a nice piece (unless, as previously mentioned, it's released later on a wider scale), but there will be more releases like this up for grabs in the future.

In the meantime, looks like I've got another piece to add to the list. :P

-Letagi

Edited by Letagi

I'm surprised people think this is a "jerk move" by LEGO. It's not like this is a new idea. In 2001 we had the solid gold Hau, limited to around 30 copies. 2003 had the SSKK, with only 72 available to the public, and the WMKK at 3000 copies (granted, considerably more, but still a very limited release). In a more similar vein to the trans-blue 2015 Kaukau would be the VMKK and GPKK, given out only to the lucky few in the Bionicle Van Tour and the Proto Squad in 2003.

The point is, LEGO has always done exclusive releases. This is just the latest one. It's unfortunate that only a few people will be able to get such a nice piece (unless, as previously mentioned, it's released later on a wider scale), but there will be more releases like this up for grabs in the future.

-Letagi

Not too fair a comparison, at least with the solid gold Hau and metal Krana Kal. Those are legit expensive to produce and I'm sure people could understand the value based on the material it was made with. This exclusive Mask of Water is just a regular plastic component in a colour that's been used multiple times before.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows
  • Upvote 3

tahubanner.jpg

Haha, yeah, I hope that's the case. Looks like a very lovely mask, and brings back way too many memories of the original. I think it's quite understandable that there's a lot of jealousy over this, especially since Lego Tours are harder to land than attendance at ComicCon (or so I believe.)

Although have any of the clear Hau / masks of fire come from somewhere else besides NYCC or DeeVee?

:music:

Notice with the NYCC Haus that they did 100 VIP ones and then 1400 standard ones. Maybe something similar could happen with this, but on a much bigger scale?

Also, great job Lego, really handling that reboot well....

I will get one of these masks, whatever the cost.

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

-Letagi

Not too fair a comparison, at least with the solid gold Hau and metal Krana Kal. Those are legit expensive to produce and I'm sure people could understand the value based on the material it was made with. This exclusive Mask of Water is just a regular plastic component in a colour that's been used multiple times before.

-NotS

The gold Hau and metal Krana are more extreme examples, yes, but the principle is the same. LEGO does exclusive releases so that serious fans can have a chance to own cool pieces that most people don't have access to. The GPKK, however, is the perfect comparison; they're just plastic Krana. Presumably new molds didn't have to be made so they shouldn't be worth that much, and yet they sell for upwards of $300. When exclusive pieces are sold their prices are determined primarily by how much interest there is in the piece. WMKK sell for upwards of $200, but I can guarantee you that they didn't cost nearly that much to produce.

-L

The gold Hau and metal Krana are more extreme examples, yes, but the principle is the same. LEGO does exclusive releases so that serious fans can have a chance to own cool pieces that most people don't have access to. The GPKK, however, is the perfect comparison; they're just plastic Krana. Presumably new molds didn't have to be made so they shouldn't be worth that much, and yet they sell for upwards of $300. When exclusive pieces are sold their prices are determined primarily by how much interest there is in the piece. WMKK sell for upwards of $200, but I can guarantee you that they didn't cost nearly that much to produce.

-L

True, however the incentive behind the WMKK revolved around the "Sterling Silver" promotional campaign that dictated a limited value of both VMKK (the ultimate prize) and WMKK (the lesser, still rare prize) in a sort of "gambling" marketing game. There are undoubtedly similarities with this Kaukau's distribution method. However, I think people are angry at this because of the mask itself - we've gotten fairly obtainable transparent variations of the 5 Toa's masks and I'm sure many people were dying to see a Kaukau variant as well. To have it be the only mask out of the bunch be exclusive feels like a bit of a kick in the jaw.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

True, however the incentive behind the WMKK revolved around the "Sterling Silver" promotional campaign that dictated a limited value of both VMKK (the ultimate prize) and WMKK (the lesser, still rare prize) in a sort of "gambling" marketing game. There are undoubtedly similarities with this Kaukau's distribution method. However, I think people are angry at this because of the mask itself - we've gotten fairly obtainable transparent variations of the 5 Toa's masks and I'm sure many people were dying to see a Kaukau variant as well. To have it be the only mask out of the bunch be exclusive feels like a bit of a kick in the jaw.

-NotS

That's definitely fair and I can totally relate. It would be awesome for there to be a trans-blue Kaukau that was widely accessible. Of course, if the Kaukau follows the trend of the other two transparent masks we've gotten so far (starting out rare and then becoming more common), it shouldn't be too difficult to get one, but of course that's just conjecture at this point.

My point was really just that the idea of an exclusive piece is nothing new so I was a little surprised to see people react negatively. I feel like a better way of looking at it would be that we didn't think we'd be getting a trans-blue Kaukau at all, so it's great that they exist and are potentially obtainable.

-L

• Upvote 1

Well, it's going to be hard to find that mask for $5 like the Trans Tahu Mask, anyways I think Lego did this because they wanted to make something that is very classic more rare, sense we know that Gali Mata Trans Kaukau sticks out the most from the other mata.

Also what kind of radical feminist drink have you been drinking SailorQuaoar? It sound really stupid to say that this is sexist...    please tell me you are not one of those people who think "Good Morning" is harassment.

P.S. Good Morning

My guess it's going to be a lot that would make me say "NOPE NOPE NOPE"

Edited by ShadowWolfHount
  • Upvote 2

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

This exclusive Mask of Water is just a regular plastic component in a colour that's been used multiple times before.

As would a lime-green Mask of Ice, a purple Mask of Fire, a tan Mask of Stone, etc. Is LEGO obligated to make those, and make them widely available?

For whatever reason, 200 trans-dark-blue Mask of Waters were made for distribution at the LEGO Inside Tour. LEGO was under no obligation to produce them, so complaining about it having done so seems tantamount to wishing that none had been made, because you can never have one. Why not be happy that at least some folks get to enjoy them?

That said, as shown by past give-aways (eg. Superman, Azog, the trans-clear Hau), it is quite possible that the exclusive thing is the packaging. I shan't be surprised if this winds up being the mask that accompanies one of the upcoming books.

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Limiting to 200 is something I MIGHT forgive, but only available at their inside tour? Now that's just a very stupid decision, unless they'll have the mask for the book too (that'd be a miracle at the moment). It also proves that they try to press the buttons of the hardcore nostalgia fans with this, as if they'd really need them to keep the reboot alive or something.

• Upvote 2

To be honest, I can't see people NOT finding ways to get around this in current days. There's so many resources available to us now that we're older and there's new technology.

But seriously though, it's not like LEGO owes us anything, they're a company and we're the consumers. Would it hurt them to show the fans respect? No. Are they going to? Probably not. :P

Edited by Forgeta

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

Lego is not "disrespecting" anyone by having this as an exclusive item. Frankly, making exclusive items like this is one of the things they can do to provide desirable items to mega-fans at special events, without having to break the bank. This mask is not a requirement except for hardcore completionists, and I seriously doubt it will even show up in the new theme's story—it's just a neat little homage to the classic Bionicle for people attending this year's tour. And frankly, I think that if they had produced a different mask instead, there would STILL be people complaining about being unable to obtain it easily, because my time in the Lego fan community has shown that that's what people do.

And please, enough shaming people like myself who were able to get it. I signed up for the Inside Tour late last year, long before I was even aware of the possibility that an exclusive Bionicle mask would be in the cards. And while I can understand people being upset about not being able to get this without paying an exorbitant sum, I DID pay an exorbitant sum for the tour—it's a once-in-a-lifetime chance and I just happened to get lucky with my timing. If I hadn't been going on the tour this year, I would have most likely sucked it up and accepted that I wouldn't be able to get this mask (I don't see myself spending ridiculous prices on the aftermarket for a non-essential plastic mask).

Finally. it's not out of the question that, like the clear Tahu mask which was available both at NYCC proper and at the NYCC VIP Lego store event, there will be an additional way to obtain the Trans. Blue Gali mask. It's also possible that blended Tahu and Gali masks might still become available at some point in the future—stranger things have happened. I do seriously doubt that there will be any sort of exclusive mask in the activity book, as people continue to speculate, because Lego activity books never include exclusives. But the fact that you might not be able to get this one mask through this one giveaway is not the end of the world.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 8

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

If transparency could be achieved with 3d printing, I'd simply make my own transblue Kaukau, it would be cheaper than paying for a spot on the exclusive tour or buying it off ebay or bricklink. 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I wasn't saying that, just that from what other people are saying, it's not like they're showing the fan base much (if any) respect.

How is Lego showing the Bionicle community any less respect than their other fanbases? By making an exclusive mask?

I don't get why people are getting to so worked up about this. Yes, this is a really cool piece and I'd love to have one myself, but some people are acting like making this mask exclusive to an event is some kind of evil new concept that Lego came up with.

• Upvote 2

Hail Denmark

I wasn't saying that, just that from what other people are saying, it's not like they're showing the fan base much (if any) respect.

How is Lego showing the Bionicle community any less respect than their other fanbases? By making an exclusive mask?

I don't get why people are getting to so worked up about this. Yes, this is a really cool piece and I'd love to have one myself, but some people are acting like making this mask exclusive to an event is some kind of evil new concept that Lego came up with.

But Bionicle literally just came out. Exclusives aren't good for anyone.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

But Bionicle literally just came out. Exclusives aren't good for anyone.

Weren't there also exclusive masks like the Trans Neon Green Miru and the copper Huna and Komau being given away during the first year of the original bionicle? 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.