• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Photo

The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

• Please log in to reply
6429 replies to this topic

#6001 Offline Grimdark Pony

Grimdark Pony
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 5 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 12:02 AM

Well then.

My revenge shall be swift. And born of certain essential saltes.

I don't know... you look kind of awesome. I gave you snake eyes, fangs, and a serpent for a tail.

#6002 Offline delilah

delilah
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Real Canadian Maple Syrup

• 4,006 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 12:08 AM

Let's just skip to approving this already~

heytherecopy_zps41588106.jpg

#6003 Online Silvan Haven

Silvan Haven
  • Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,277 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 12:32 AM

Yeah, nobody else seem to have found any problems and everybody looks like they want to play.

I'd say it is time to send it to the approval topic.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

#6004 Offline Parks and Rekt

Parks and Rekt
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • BZPRPG Staff and OTC RPG Judge

• 11,630 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 06:10 AM

Well then.

My revenge shall be swift. And born of certain essential saltes.

I don't say it enough, but I love you. (I saw your PM. Going over it when I get home.)

Also going up when I get home: this game, in the approval request topic. Yeee.

-Tyler

i'm back boy

for real

i'm that boy

for real

i got hits baby

you just a bat boy

for real

#6005 Offline Canis Lycaon

Canis Lycaon
  • Members
  • Fluidic Master Nuva

• 1,320 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 02:33 PM

I have a problem!

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial;font-size:15px;text-align:center;]battle for New York[/color]

The way you're using this makes it seem that battle should be capitalized. (Following the Battle for New York, as the media dubbed it,)

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

#6006 Offline Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 03:12 PM

I don't say it enough, but I love you. (I saw your PM. Going over it when I get home.)

Also going up when I get home: this game, in the approval request topic. Yeee.

-Tyler

Aw, thanks.

Gonna be nice to RP with you fellows again.

"Shall this great kingdom, that has survived, whole and entire, the Danish depredations, the Scottish inroads, and the Norman conquest; that has stood the threatened invasion of the Spanish Armada, now fall prostrate before the House of Bourbon? Surely, my Lords, this nation is no longer what it was! Shall a people, that seventeen years ago was the terror of the world, now stoop so low as to tell its ancient inveterate enemy, take all we have, only give us peace? It is impossible! ...My Lords, any state is better than despair. Let us at least make one effort; and if we must fall, let us fall like men!"

-William Pitt the Elder, before suffering a fatal stroke on the floor of the House of Lords.

#6007 Offline Phoenix Zero

Phoenix Zero
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 426 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 04:42 PM

A Marvel RPG? Well, this could be fun. I once created a superhero persona for myself who had the powers of fire and heat manipulation and telekenisis. I think both those powers together would be OP, so I'd probably need to use one or the other. Can telekenisis even be used without being OP? If so, how?

#6008 Offline Tali Relo

Tali Relo
  • Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 1,846 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 04:47 PM

Telekinesis has been used for years without being OP, so long as it has well defined limits and you play fair.

Edited by Kaithas, Nov 01 2013 - 04:47 PM.

"They're smarter, faster, and stronger than us. Fantastic."

#6009 Offline Phoenix Zero

Phoenix Zero
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 426 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 06:12 PM

What size or weight should be the limit? A small couch or an average chair maybe?

#6010 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 14 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 06:25 PM

"Small couch" or "average chair" is entirely too vague to be useful. If you need a set-in-stone limit, an absolute numerical limit on the amount of force that can be exerted at one time would be the smarter way to go.

EDIT: By this I mean a limit expressed in real-world units, like, say, one thousand Newtons.

Edited by Ymper Trymon, Nov 01 2013 - 06:26 PM.

Gentlemen, fooling you once with this trick was an honor. Twice was a privilege. It's been a pleasure.

I am most definitely a mad man with a blog.

#6011 Offline Skitty

Skitty
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Illusion of the Past

• 8,020 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 06:44 PM

What size or weight should be the limit? A small couch or an average chair maybe?

[color=#006400;]I'd say that once you get to larger objects like small trucks and the like a telekinetic would start to feel the strain, anything bigger would be like a workout. An entire house would obviously be too much. [/color]

My Bzprpg Profiles, Marvel Rebirth Profiles

Skyra | Savina | Darien | Hakari | Mekana | Lana |  Rekirar | Taleen | Mimira | Denerium | Talinka | Arisaka |

SkittyBanner_zpsddf2094e.png

#6012 Offline Phoenix Zero

Phoenix Zero
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 426 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 06:45 PM

Okay, I'd probably make the character a teenager, so I don't want to give him full mastery over telekenesis. Maybe a limit of 20 to 30 pounds?Dang, realism is hard to achieve...

#6013 Offline Hatty Hattington

Hatty Hattington
  • Members
  • Mask of Time Discovered

• 4,276 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 07:01 PM

Welcome to the life of a Marvel RPer.

#6014 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 14 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 07:15 PM

Setting the limit in pounds is technically okay only if the character is only going to be using their powers to lift things at a pre-set speed. When gravity isn't the only force you are attempting to counteract, things get a bit trickier for that.

Gentlemen, fooling you once with this trick was an honor. Twice was a privilege. It's been a pleasure.

#6015 Offline Phoenix Zero

Phoenix Zero
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 426 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 07:21 PM

Well, I'm not a physics professor, so this is where I'll need some help.I get the whole "no expy" thing, but is it okay to be inspired by the concept of a character, or borrow a few traits? Oh, and I'm assuming the limit on healing factors does not apply to Deadpool. =P

Edited by JiMing, Nov 01 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#6016 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 14 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 07:28 PM

Well, for an RPG like this, you probably don't want to go too far into the science of it, but suffice it to say that the same amount of force can do different things when applied in different ways - lifting an object, throwing that same object, applying tension to a rope, messing with springs, etc.

EDIT: Also, I've never really seen telekinesis as being particularly overpowered. While a useful skill, if reaction times are not heavily augmented as well, an ordinary man with a gun could still easily defeat a telekinetic - and even without a gun, a clever non-powered combatant could make things hard for a telekinetic.

Edited by Ymper Trymon, Nov 01 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#6017 Offline Ninth Krayzikk

Ninth Krayzikk
  • Members
  • BZPRPG Staff

• 11,904 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 07:30 PM

Well, I'm not a physics professor, so this is where I'll need some help.I get the whole "no expy" thing, but is it okay to be inspired by the concept of a character, or borrow a few traits? Oh, and I'm assuming the limit on healing factors does not apply to Deadpool. =P

Dead pool is dead. And staying that way.Not dealing with that again.Borrowing traits is fine, as is inspiration, but that should be the end of it.

Posted Image

Red Skies, an FTL Prequel (Updated 7/13)

#6018 Offline Ymper Trymon

Ymper Trymon
  • Members
  • Inhabitant

• 14 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 07:33 PM

[color=rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;]Dead pool is dead. And staying that way.[/color]

And suddenly I feel a great rush of optimism.

Edited by Ymper Trymon, Nov 01 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#6019 Offline Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 07:35 PM

You burned the corpse I hope.

Then fed it to Yog-Sothoth? (Blessed be his name).

"Shall this great kingdom, that has survived, whole and entire, the Danish depredations, the Scottish inroads, and the Norman conquest; that has stood the threatened invasion of the Spanish Armada, now fall prostrate before the House of Bourbon? Surely, my Lords, this nation is no longer what it was! Shall a people, that seventeen years ago was the terror of the world, now stoop so low as to tell its ancient inveterate enemy, take all we have, only give us peace? It is impossible! ...My Lords, any state is better than despair. Let us at least make one effort; and if we must fall, let us fall like men!"

-William Pitt the Elder, before suffering a fatal stroke on the floor of the House of Lords.

#6020 Offline Phoenix Zero

Phoenix Zero
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 426 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 07:40 PM

Makes sense to ax Deadpool, he would totally break the feeling of a serious RPG. That was more sarcasm than anything. Oh but wait, what about Squirrel Girl?!

Well, the whole reason I asked that was because after playing a few Mega Man games, I've been fascinated by the concept of making robots more "human". What will be the state of Sentinels in the RPG? I've been thinking maybe a prototype model able to mimic human emotions more closely, and with a human appearance and height as well. Of course, he wouldn't be able to write philosophical poems on the nature of human beings anytime soon, but impressive compared to other Sentinels.

Okay, what sort of units would I have to use to list all those?

Edited by JiMing, Nov 01 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#6021 Offline Ninth Krayzikk

Ninth Krayzikk
  • Members
  • BZPRPG Staff

• 11,904 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 07:43 PM

Ninety nine five percent of all super powered individuals are dead, and the ones that did live are the ones that didn't clash with the Phoenix Force. Sentinels are almost entirely decommissioned, JiMing, for many, many reasons. Including the fact that they were hacked twice, the second time altering their programming to sic them on DC.EDIT: Note, a robotic character would be considered anyway, but the Sentinels are basically gone.

Edited by The Snark Knight, Nov 01 2013 - 07:46 PM.

Posted Image

#6022 Offline Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 07:47 PM

Let me put it this way, the Outer Gods are bad bad bad news.

Unleashing one of them on Earth to combat the Phoenix Force couldn't make things worse.

The Phoenix Force is downright horrible news. 

Edited by Basilisk, Nov 01 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#6023 Offline Phoenix Zero

Phoenix Zero
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 426 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 07:48 PM

I didn't play the last RPG, so i wouldn't have known. I was thinking of such a character being sealed away, never being activated, and then awakening..... Somehow. I was just throwing ideas out there.Okay, since the RPG seems normal-centric, I'll rethink some things.

Edited by JiMing, Nov 01 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#6024 Online Zulu Yankee Kilo Echo

Zulu Yankee Kilo Echo
  • Members
  • Submerged!

• 1,101 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 07:57 PM

*Extremely high-pitched, drawn-out, and ear-shattering fangirl scream*

Okay. Okay. Now that that's out of my system, I should note that although I haven't been online lately, marching band season is over as of Tuesday, so I should be able to get on more often. And play this new Marvel RPG. A lot. :D

brokenmr.jpg

#6025 Offline Ninth Krayzikk

Ninth Krayzikk
  • Members
  • BZPRPG Staff

• 11,904 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 07:59 PM

Zyke if you brought Julia back there would be a squeal of joy heard round the world.@JiMing: Oh, I didn't expect you to know. I was just explaining the reason behind why, instead of just blanket statements.

Posted Image

#6026 Offline Parks and Rekt

Parks and Rekt
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 11,630 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 08:04 PM

Let me put it this way, the Outer Gods are bad bad bad news.

Unleashing one of them on Earth to combat the Phoenix Force couldn't make things worse.

The Phoenix Force is downright horrible news. 

A man literally killed his own son to stop its return last arc. It's rough stuff.

-Tyler

i'm back boy

for real

i'm that boy

for real

i got hits baby

you just a bat boy

for real

#6027 Offline Ninth Krayzikk

Ninth Krayzikk
  • Members
  • BZPRPG Staff

• 11,904 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 08:06 PM

In fairness, Ric got better.Sorta.Then he got worse.

Posted Image

#6028 Offline Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 08:08 PM

If it ever manifested at full power, any and all measures would be acceptable to stop it.

In short:

CODE: RAGNAROK 
OPERATIONS BUDGET: UNLIMITED 
PERMISSIBLE WEAPONS: UNLIMITED 
PERMISSIBLE CASUALTIES: 
LOCAL INHABITANTS: 100% 
ASSOCIATE PERSONNEL: 100% 
ENLIGHTENED OPERATIVES: 100%
— Time of Thin Blood, the Technocracy's "Code Ragnarok"

#6029 Offline Phoenix Zero

Phoenix Zero
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 426 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 08:26 PM

So... Will there be any limit of sorts on super powered characters? Just wondering, I wouldn't plan on making a ton of superpowered characters anyways.

Okay, how about my robotic character was for some reason, sealed away and never activated. When people come across it, they accidentally activate it and it escapes into the world.

#6030 Offline Tali Relo

Tali Relo
  • Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 1,846 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 10:05 PM

Bro.Make the profile, mate XD you'd be surprised what we do.The char limit is what you can handle.

#6031 Offline Phoenix Zero

Phoenix Zero
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 426 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 10:58 PM

Well then, seems I can go nuts. Okay, how about an assassin/mercenary augmented by bionic implants and using various weaponry? I don't know, that one just came to me.

#6032 Offline Tali Relo

Tali Relo
  • Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 1,846 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 01 2013 - 11:10 PM

We need to see a profile/draft of your actual powers.

#6033 Offline Onarax

Onarax
  • Members
  • Spirit of Fire

• 19,564 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 02 2013 - 06:15 AM

The XMDD staff have handled things from giant robots (totally not me), genderbenders (also totally not me) and women who possess control over cheeseburgers (definitely not me).

They're pretty experienced in approving powers.

gallery_107889_133_3220.jpg

#6034 Offline Parks and Rekt

Parks and Rekt
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 11,630 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 02 2013 - 06:35 AM

It's only because we have you to keep us grounded, killer.

-Tyler

i'm back boy

for real

i'm that boy

for real

i got hits baby

you just a bat boy

for real

#6035 Offline Phoenix Zero

Phoenix Zero
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 426 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 02 2013 - 11:04 AM

Well... I'm not sure how the last two characters would work in combat, besides confusing their opponents. Not unless they were very very creative with their powers...

I'll work on a draft for my concept of a robotic character, and see how that goes.

#6036 Offline Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 02 2013 - 11:23 AM

There are ways to make control of milk products insanely deadly.

Never, ever underestimate abnormal power sets. Super strength...you basically know what you're dealing with, what this fellow is gonna try.

Someone with control of cheeseburgers? Yeah. Good luck figuring that out.

Edited by Basilisk, Nov 02 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#6037 Offline Parks and Rekt

Parks and Rekt
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 11,630 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 02 2013 - 11:28 AM

Also, a nugget of advice while we're waiting on further approval: if you didn't have a character with the Brotherhood of Mutants last game because of their rep, do so this game. I've never been so excited for a faction as I am for their new iteration and something I haven't seen tried before, and Dominik's influence over world events and integration of real-world crowdsourcing techniques is something I'm anxious to try out in an RPG setting.

-Tyler

i'm back boy

for real

i'm that boy

for real

i got hits baby

you just a bat boy

for real

#6038 Offline Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 02 2013 - 11:34 AM

Oh, it is gonna be great.

We've got the Brotherhood wising up, going increasingly leftist in a country that could be described as abnormally conservative at best, about four different conspiracies about to clash in the halls of power, SHIELD reactivating a super soldier program as all of this brews on the horizen, HYDRA plotting in the shadows and considering their "we're back" announcement consisted of an invasion of American soil, something that hasn't happened about two centuries now....

The chaos will be glorious.

Edited by Basilisk, Nov 02 2013 - 12:02 PM.

#6039 Offline Flex Likes Groot

Flex Likes Groot
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 525 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 02 2013 - 02:45 PM

I'm very excited for this. :D

Kane/Scorcher | Christine/Mimic | Nicole/Barbie | Jennifer | Terrance/Nightstalker | U! John/Wolf Maverick

#6040 Offline Basilisk

Basilisk
  • Members
  • OTC RPG Judge

• 1,160 posts
  •  

Posted Nov 02 2013 - 03:36 PM

Indeed. Getting my character profiles together as we speak. Tenative list...well, some people will be coming back, some won't, with a few new faces.

Staffers can expect PMs. :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users