The Official OTC TBRPG Planning and Organization Topic

Noxryn

Making profiles... so excited...!

I have a few questions for the new Marvel RPG, as they could affect new character's backstories.

What's the last major crossover event to be considered canon in this universe? The first topic mentioned Civil War, but nothing beyond that.

Will a list of canon characters who survived be given at the beginning or will they be introduced as the plot demands? I can think of several characters who would have had a very high chance of surviving to the RPG present day (ie Mr Immortal [Craig Hollis], Franklin and Valeria Richards, Portal [Charles Little Sky], basically any character that's either technically immortal or can flee to alternate universes).

What's the status of the Sentient World Observation and Response Department (S.W.O.R.D.) and the Alternate Reality Monitoring and Operational Response Agency (A.R.M.O.R.)?

What's the current status of the Kree, the Shi'ar, the Skrulls, and other aliens as well as the Inhumans and the Atlanteans? Are these races playable?

Edited by Crimson Superball

...This is the part where I have to use Marvel Wiki.Alright, to tackle these in order; There is no strict definition if what's canon. There's too much material, too much of it contradictory, and many players don't have the amount of background knowledge to deal with the overload. M:R, like XMDD before it, is an odd amalgamation of the Cinematic Universe and assorted pieces if the comics. Civil War is likely canon, but other than that, anything specific should be run by a staff member.A list will not be given, and it would be best to assume that all characters not explicitly named perished. If there are some you wish to specifically inquire about, PM a staff member, and we'll discuss it.ARMOR likely does not exist, as they would contradict the Ultimateverse plot line from XMDD. SWORD may exist, but that is something we would have to discuss.As for the other races... We have no set ruling. They were not involved last game.The best bet for a majority of your questions would be to PM a staff member with a specific question, and we'll work out the answer based on what has been established, and what has been planned. I'd love to say we have an answer to all of your questions, but really, Marvel canon is too wide for us to be able to know and anticipate all of it.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

• We never really talked about it until now, but I'd say everything up until the start of Avengers vs. X-Men lines up with canon - Tony Stark used the Phoenixbuster, it didn't work, and then Jean Grey came back and killed everyone. Enter XMDD.
  • We didn't plan on having a list, no. Franklin Richards, Hope Summers, Cable, and a bunch of others would probably have a good shot but we should probably just stick to assuming that until someone's mentioned as living or actually shows up, they're dead.
  • S.W.O.R.D. exists in this universe still. No idea about A.R.M.O.R.
  • Atlanteans, yes, because they actually appeared in the first one during the Hellfire arc a little. The rest are no comment.

These things might show up in future arcs, but not by launch. No one knows at this point.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

I was thinking of having them separated, killing Malus in the process but allowing Demon to survive.

Or maybe they both got eaten by Shoggoths/a Hydra/whatever.

I do know I'll be bringing back both Jordan and Zack for plot reasons, and Julia will be making a return as well, much to the deafness-inducing delight of Tyler and Snark. :P

67tlbk.png

Okay, I got one profile approved (and it's that robot char I was talking about).

Hopefully this RPG goes well for me, but if it becomes as busy as the BZPRPG, I'm probably not going to keep up very well.

Edited by JiMing

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

Since the BZPRPG has over six different topics that people play in. I don't think this is going to get that bad.

Of course, most RPGs don't have the sheer amount of excitement going for them and it has been awhile since one had such a large player that will most likely stay around longer then the first month.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Uh, so I've only watched the first Captain America movie, The Avengers, and the Thor movie. How would I fare in such an RPG? Should I open up the wikis?

You'll be fine. Most of canon only gets passing references, and we make up a lot of the modern setting. Every now and again you might need to look something up, but it's not common.EDIT: We meet again, crunchy breakfast food.Anyway. They themselves are not likely to appear, but there is a descendent of them that will likely return.(Hai Advent!) Edited by The Snark Knight

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Personally, since Marvel canon is a bundle of confusion mixed with continuity errors mixed with some good stories, I think them getting a passing mention is for the best. :P

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Personally, since Marvel canon is a bundle of confusion mixed with continuity errors mixed with some good stories, I think them getting a passing mention is for the best. :P

Yeah, we aren't all that worried about Marvel canon accuracy here. Especially considering how inconsistent it is.

We're making our own story, hence the point of an RPG. =P

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

>used to have aliens >dropped them because of GM discouragement

Those aliens weren't handled very good though. Plus something about them I just didn't like.
I don't think "weren't handled very well" is a valid criticism, seeing as Killer Klowns from Outer Space exists. :P(It's real. Most bizarre Sci-fi horror I've ever seen.)

fK5oqYf.jpg

So uh, any important characters I should know about? Not listed in the Main Page?

Hmmm.Well, yes and no. Other than the ones listed on the main page there, there are no plot important characters. But there are returning characters that had a pretty heavy influence last go round, including the Neo-Avengers, the remaining members of the original second gen. X-Men team, most of the HelIfire Club, et cetera. Edited by The Snark Knight

fK5oqYf.jpg

So would it be an okay character concept if I were to play as Undead Elton John?

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

What do you guys think of an RP where you play as commander of a small Battlemech force in a Weird War One setting?

I'm thinking that the players would control a roughly battalion strength force of infantry, anywhere between three and eight (small) mechs, and one "Base" of either a ship, train, or zeppelin. The setting would be roughly what we've been working on for Men Of Steel; a Weird War One with nations designed by the old RTSRPG crowd. You could play as members of a national military, or hire your forces out to the highest bidder.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

What do you guys think of an RP where you play as commander of a small Battlemech force in a Weird War One setting?

I'm thinking that the players would control a roughly battalion strength force of infantry, anywhere between three and eight (small) mechs, and one "Base" of either a ship, train, or zeppelin. The setting would be roughly what we've been working on for Men Of Steel; a Weird War One with nations designed by the old RTSRPG crowd. You could play as members of a national military, or hire your forces out to the highest bidder.

Oh, I didn't realize this was going to be an actual RPG on BZP. If that's the case, I'd play.

I actually popped in here to posit my own question: I've been doing a project on JFK's assassination, and it got me to thinking: would anyone be interested in playing what I've nicknamed a "Warren Commission RPG"? Basically, in an ersatz US, not-Kennedy is assassinated in some way (that doesn't resemble the original, to prevent metagaming) and the PCs have to investigate it to find out what happened.

Setting, characters, etc are all flexible at this point. The general idea is that the players investigate an assassination of a major political figure in that world.

Real world politics would be strictly banned.

:w: