• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Click to ToggleParticipate in our raffle!

Hi, Guest. Come take a look and participate in our raffle:

Chima 2014 Big Raffle
Chima 2014 New Member Raffle
Chima 2014 Little Raffle

Photo

Light Painting

takanuva bill furno natalie breez jetbug photography light painting light writing nukaya

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Nukaya

Nukaya
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Blog Assistants
  • Senior Nak

• 1,485 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Feb 05 2012 - 03:13 AM

This was for an assignment in studio photography where we were required to alter pre-existing light and mix it with other light sources to create a series of successful and compelling photos. Each image is made over a very long exposure time (think 8-25 seconds) by triggering several strobe lights, and then moving LED lights and my lit -up cellphone around. Some of the sets appear to be moving (Furno and the second Jetbug photo) due to the figure being shifted to different spots during the exposure.The only editing on the computer was for minor levels editing, slight exposure correction, dust removal, and a tiny bit of colour correction. Everything else is created by hand.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Mishaps & Bubblewrap ~ BZPStuck ~ Hanus ~ My MOCs ~ LEGO con photos

webbanner.gif

--> Newest MOCs: Easter Bunny & Benny Cake <--

3.gif "YOU NEED TO BE MORE FRIENDLY!!!"-Unikitty 3.gif

#2 Offline Sumiki

Sumiki
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Hat Enterprises CEO

• 10,916 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Feb 05 2012 - 01:01 PM

These are just so cool, I do not have the words to describe it. It looks like someone went over some photos with some computer-generated effects, not painted. With light. (I seriously can't get over how awesome these look.)The motions don't look unnatural - in Furno's case, it gives off the impression that he's actually riding his bike. I can even make out some blurred cell phone screens in the background ...Do you plan on extending the series out to other sets and/or MOCs?

rotr_banner.png

#3 Offline Nukaya

Nukaya
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Senior Nak

• 1,485 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Feb 05 2012 - 03:56 PM

Do you plan on extending the series out to other sets and/or MOCs?

I'm not opposed to making more photos like this. They're really fun and very different from my usual work! Doing this with multiple figures interacting, as well as creating and mastering using light stencils attached to a flash could be really interesting. It could even become recreations of certain high-action/battle scenes in the movies or comic books. I'd have to get some more of my sets from home the next time I'm there, and more types of light sources, but it could definitely be done.

webbanner.gif

#4 Offline ChocolateFrogs

ChocolateFrogs
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Piraka Fusionist

• 1,757 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Feb 05 2012 - 04:55 PM

I love the glow on the Takanuva.And the moving Furno effect is really cool.Nice job with these. I wish I could try doing some long-exposure shots myself.-CF

Where's Groot?guardians_galaxy_lego_banner.jpgHe's my favorite. :(

#5 Online Brickeens

Brickeens
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Rahkshi Unleashed

• 5,989 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Feb 05 2012 - 06:20 PM

Glorious. The first Jetbug picture is my favorite. It gives me the impression there's a load of sparks coming out of his weapon or something.

Posted Image

#6 Offline Flux: The Explorer

Flux: The Explorer
  • Members
  • Emerging Fluidic Master

• 1,278 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 05 2012 - 08:47 PM

These are beautiful. The first picture of Jetbug has to be the best. The light coming from his weapon is the best part of it.

Edited by FrozenFlash, Feb 05 2012 - 08:47 PM.

pWPTu7m.jpg

Credits go to Strack for the awesome sprite.

I'm an Emerging Fluidic Master (again). Time to start working on my Waterbending.
I'm still a ninja although I think I'm losing my skills as one.
"You're saying this kingdom will vanish? NOT TODAY! THIS KINGDOM IS ALL MINE! SO YOU VANISH!"

~ Bowser, in Bowser's Inside story

#7 Offline Unikitty Tekulo

Unikitty Tekulo
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Illusory Instigator

• 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 05 2012 - 09:53 PM

Cool! I like the third one down the best, myself. Though, the first one is pretty interesting. ^^Nice concept and the effects came out pretty nicely. ^^

#8 Offline Bionicle Raptor

Bionicle Raptor
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Trusted Trader

• 3,633 posts

Posted Feb 06 2012 - 10:45 AM

I thought it was entertaining that the lighting matched the characters that you posed so well.Great work. Thanks for posting.

Edited by Bionicle Raptor, Feb 06 2012 - 10:45 AM.

rawrrrr2.png

Credit Goes To The Geckonator For My Signature

#9 Offline Toa of Nerds

Toa of Nerds
  • Members
  • Emerging Stone Champion

• 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2012 - 07:56 PM

Wow, just wow. All of those pictures look fantastic. If I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be the first one because it looks like his weapon is shooting, however, all of them are amazing. I hope you make more in the future! -don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Kicking the Bucket (archived)

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)
Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!
Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

Posted Image

#10 Offline Akuna Toa of Sonics

Akuna Toa of Sonics
  • Members
  • Ice Warrior Defeated

• 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 06 2012 - 10:24 PM

I can't describe how well done these are. I think the bike one looks the coolest.

webmaster.png

#11 Offline -Windrider-

-Windrider-
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Global Moderators
  • Senior Staff

• 5,163 posts
  •   BZP Staff

Posted Feb 06 2012 - 10:53 PM

The almost perfectly black background in the first Jetbug picture gives a nice impression of the infinite. The figure is dwarfed in comparison to the space surrounding it, which in turn draws my eye away from it, and toward the "lightning" effects. It is an interesting reversal compared to the other pictures in the series, from which I get the impression that the figure is the focus, and not the light.

#12 Offline Axilus Prime

Axilus Prime
  • Members
  • Kohrak-Kal Shattered

• 4,798 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 07 2012 - 05:06 AM

This gave me an insight into movie special effects. XDNice work on these! You made LIGHT look like SMOKE!

#13 Offline InnerRayg

InnerRayg
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Buttest of Dialers

• 12,841 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Feb 07 2012 - 06:26 AM

Oh man I've done this stuff before, it's so hard to pull off. Probably helps that you know how a camera works though :PNext challenge: Write legible words with it.Go.

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

#14 Offline Tahu Nuva 3.0

Tahu Nuva 3.0
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 2,622 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 10 2012 - 09:11 PM

I've done plenty of light painting in the past, and yes, it is indeed fun. I love making their eyes glow and basically creating elemental battles with lasers, or just making cool backgrounds. I really like the Furno motorcycle one.

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. The one I had since childhood was lost at sea (no joke). Please let me know if you have one. Will purchase/trade.

#15 Offline Calvirick

Calvirick
  • Premier Member
  • Emerging Flying Force

• 2,288 posts

Posted Feb 11 2012 - 06:34 PM

Very cool. Toying with that slow shutter effect is addicting. Though, how did you make Takanuva's eyes glow in the third picture. (from the top)

I'm a Photographer - Graphic Designer - Artists

In other words. I'm hipster.

spy_quote.png

...and I think I can write too...

#16 Offline -RealLeka-

-RealLeka-
  • New Members
  • Inhabitant

• 8 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 11 2012 - 08:53 PM

Holy Cruddones, those are some really cool effects!But you didn't really say how you did those, so what program did you use? I would really like to know.
Posted Image
COMING SOON

#17 Offline Agnes Oblige

Agnes Oblige
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • The Storyteller

• 4,335 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 11 2012 - 09:48 PM

The Furno one looks best to me; it's as if he's really riding the bike. These are really cool; great job!-ibrow

CHAPTER 8

book_1_logo_super_small.jpg

At the end of the game, Sumiki reveals his master plan.

#18 Offline Nukaya

Nukaya
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Senior Nak

• 1,485 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Feb 12 2012 - 03:27 PM

But you didn't really say how you did those, so what program did you use? I would really like to know.

As I stated, I did not use a program beyond Adobe Photoshop for minor colour correction, levels, etc. after I had made the images. When it comes to the lights, it is all done by hand.

Though, how did you make Takanuva's eyes glow in the third picture. (from the top)

He's closely lit from behind his head in that one. The transparent pieces appear to glow when combined with certain types of light.

Next challenge: Write legible words with it.Go.

Challenge accepted.

webbanner.gif

#19 Offline GSR

GSR
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Book Badger

• 879 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Feb 14 2012 - 12:58 PM

Huh, I thought I'd commented on this when I saw it; must've slipped my mind. Sorry! Anyways, I've always been a fan of light painting, and you've combined it very nicely here with the figures. I particularly like the second and third images; it's a very nice pattern you've got serving as the background in the second, while the backlighting/'glow' in the third is a great effect.

#20 Offline Ringoster

Ringoster
  • Members
  • Turaga

• 88 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 14 2012 - 01:11 PM

Very nice! I like Takanuva's glowing eyes, and the Furno Bike picture is awesome. You should make the backgrounds a bit more prominent, though. On the Brezz pictures, it looks kinda like the background was added. I'm not sure if it would be possible, but you could try and add a light trailing behind a sword or weapon while the figure attacks.

#21 Offline Dralcax

Dralcax
  • Members
  • Defender of Mata Nui

• 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 14 2012 - 04:32 PM

How did you stop a blurry hand from appearing in the images?

Shiverburn_Galaxy_Figures_Close-Up.PNG

#22 Offline Zarohum

Zarohum
  • Banned Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 506 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 14 2012 - 06:17 PM

This is just awesome. There's not much I can really say, other than... Just... it's just beautiful. Especially the second Takanuva one. Awesome job.

#23 Offline Nukaya

Nukaya
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Senior Nak

• 1,485 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Feb 14 2012 - 06:21 PM

You should make the backgrounds a bit more prominent, though. On the Brezz pictures, it looks kinda like the background was added. I'm not sure if it would be possible, but you could try and add a light trailing behind a sword or weapon while the figure attacks.

In this setup I'm using a makeshift "infinity background", which is a cloth set up so it gently curves up from the table to where it's attached on the wall. This gives a sense of a never-ending background, as well as a clean look from no line being where the wall and floor meet. You can see in most how the texture of the cloth slowly fades out to black. The way that I lit the scene as well made it so the least amount of light was falling behind the figure, which makes it appear even darker.In a sense, the background of the second Breez picture was added, because the lines of light make a temporary background that separates her from the black cloth behind her.

How did you stop a blurry hand from appearing in the images?

I set up the lights to trigger right at the beginning of the exposure before I begin. Whatever shows up in that flash of light is what you see as permanent, and then the light painting is added in during the remaining exposure time. I make sure to wear dark clothing and I continually move my hand around, even if I am only lighting a specific spot, or my hand will show up as a discoloured blur. The longer the image exposure is also means there is less of a chance of me appearing in the image. You can kind of see in the Jetbug images what happens when my phone is in one place for too long, as the image on my phone slowly starts to appear, such as near Jetbug's foot where you can partially see me sitting on a rocking horse.I think I might have to post more about the technical aspects of this and show examples of ones that I didn't use where the flash goes off and my hand is in the way, what happens when I stay in one place too long, an example of an infinity background setup, etc., just because of some of the reoccurring questions.

webbanner.gif

#24 Offline Sybre the Mental

Sybre the Mental
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,580 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 14 2012 - 06:45 PM

THIS took my breath away, my friend. It's so impressive! The sets and effects go great together!What did you use to add the effects?

Click here to go to Snax, the SybreNetX reboot!

spc_logo.png

Click the homemade banner to go to Sonic: Pure Chaos!

The Feline Chronicles | Noobicorn Inc. | Toa Piraka Hakann Comics | Kamen Rider: NoobzlayerDestruction Comics | Toa 95 Comics | Will Most Likely Fail Epicly | Second Time's The Charm | Prototypes

Why must all our greatest dreams come to an end? I would have slept for eternity just to keep my favorite one...

"Gentlemen, I have returned." ~Sybre, real life

#25 Offline CrasherDasher

CrasherDasher
  • Members
  • Tohunga

• 24 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 14 2012 - 08:47 PM

Wow! Great job on the photos! Makes me kinda wanna get a camera that can have a shutter speed that slow.

#26 Offline Tehurye

Tehurye
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 202 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 15 2012 - 08:07 AM

Very, very stunning. Takes my breath away. This is fantastic, you should keep this up!

- From the Office/Lair of Tehurye: The Talkative Scholar

mca.png

#27 Offline Parazan

Parazan
  • Members
  • Lightning Voyager

• 339 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 15 2012 - 05:12 PM

THIS IS AWESOME.What program did you use?-CDP
Coming June 22nd: Your chance to become an ECC critic! Power of the pen in your hands!

#28 Offline -Windrider-

-Windrider-
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Global Moderators
  • Senior Staff

• 5,163 posts
  •   BZP Staff

Posted Feb 15 2012 - 06:02 PM

You guys do realize that all the crazy awesome light effects were done by hand, without an image-editing program, right? :P

As I stated, I did not use a program beyond Adobe Photoshop for minor colour correction, levels, etc. after I had made the images. When it comes to the lights, it is all done by hand.

To contribute something beyond my first post, I think one thing I would have liked to see is having different poses to match the different light patterns, in a way. For example, in the first image, the pose Breez is in and the light swirl complement each other perfectly. The pose does not change in the next image, and while it's not detrimental, it would have been nice to have some variation. Same with Takanuva - for the second image, I can picture his being positioned sideways and posed in a way to imply motion to complement the blur in the background.I am still in awe, by the way, that this is all even possible to do by hand. It is truly incredible.

#29 Offline Nukaya

Nukaya
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Senior Nak

• 1,485 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Feb 15 2012 - 08:36 PM

You guys do realize that all the crazy awesome light effects were done by hand, without an image-editing program, right? :P

To contribute something beyond my first post, I think one thing I would have liked to see is having different poses to match the different light patterns, in a way. For example, in the first image, the pose Breez is in and the light swirl complement each other perfectly. The pose does not change in the next image, and while it's not detrimental, it would have been nice to have some variation. Same with Takanuva - for the second image, I can picture his being positioned sideways and posed in a way to imply motion to complement the blur in the background.I am still in awe, by the way, that this is all even possible to do by hand. It is truly incredible.

THANK YOU WINDRIDER.Anyways, yeah, I would have changed the poses but it was getting late, my deadline was looming, and I was running out of wine. Future plans of this will involve changing the poses.

webbanner.gif

#30 Offline Hakann-The Bully

Hakann-The Bully
  • Members
  • Stalwart Defender

• 436 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 20 2012 - 08:26 PM

Very cool, I love the effects!! Maybe you could help Lego design some of their boxes :D!

Posted Image
Stalwart Defender now, took me long enough XD

#31 Offline Nukaya

Nukaya
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Senior Nak

• 1,485 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Feb 21 2012 - 03:10 PM

Very cool, I love the effects!! Maybe you could help Lego design some of their boxes :biggrin:!

Hey, I'm for hire. No complaints here if that ever happens.

webbanner.gif

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users