X-Men: Discussion Topic

Krayzikk

But where's the point of "should be able to"? In Marvel, there was a classification of super strength for the number of tons they could lift (ie Class 20, Class 50, Class 100, etc). Shouldn't telepathy have a similar scale, if not in sheer force, then in range of abilities (ie surface scanning, deep scanning, subtle telepathic influence, overt mind control, mnemonic data hacking, nervous system attacks, etc.).

The fact is, CM, there isn't a definitive point. In fact, there probably never will be, because that means having to come up with rules based on so many situations. It's easier to judge on a case by case business. The point where things become excessive varies, but it remains largely consistent. A super strength mutation can flip a car, but there's no way in heck they'd lift a destroyer. It's less a point, and more a range.Telepathy is literally impossible to give a range to, because it almost literally has limitless applications. There are common ones, yes, but the ways it can be used are so many and vast that they can't fully be accounted for. Thus, much the same as the above, we must operate on the principle of the case by case basis. Can they read minds? Sure. Can they mind-control an entire mob by themselves? No.

EDIT: Forgot to include this.

And if you start putting scales on one power, or two, where does it stop? Should we start trying to put exact numbers on flight? Time amounts on healing factors? Calculating the number of hits adapters need to adapt to a new attack? What about when we end up with variation in these ranges, do we need to adjust the scale every time someone doesn't fall onto one of our carefully considered points?It's just impractical.

Edited by The Snark Knight

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Numbers are really impractical for the reasons stated above. Another potential problem is that they will inevitably be overemphasised."No way your Class 70 could beat my Class 100! My profile clearly says that he's stronger than your guy."Flexibility gives room for discretion to be used appropriately. :)

STAR WARS GALAXY AT WAR

E2F89AB957A1479880B245CBBECF5036.jpg

... we have cookies

Indeed.

Though if anyone dodges a full volley from say, a power armored platoon, I'm calling them out.

If they don't have super speed or something. Bullets exist for a reason people-they generally hit what they are pointed at!

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Numbers are really impractical for the reasons stated above. Another potential problem is that they will inevitably be overemphasised."No way your Class 70 could beat my Class 100! My profile clearly says that he's stronger than your guy."Flexibility gives room for discretion to be used appropriately. :)

We've had that debate already. Twice now.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Ka...me...ha...me...

(sneezes and the entire move blows up in my face)

Well, that didn't work out. But yeah, I agree, a numbers system is a bad idea. Even if we could change our "power levels" by rage, training, high power use, etc, then that would turn into modding.

So it's either boring slow-paced calculations or a modding level that is OVER 9000!

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I used to buy (and frequently lose) Pokemon cards in third grade. The irritating part was, no matter what my current set was at the time, I either had a load of Energy cards and Pokemon that never used them, or no Energy cards (or the wrong ones) when I had almost only Pokemon that relied on them.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

In all seriousness, I never understood energy cards. There were always too few of them to use effectively, too many pokemon to distribute them to, andtheydidn't pop up in the deck often enough. Then again, my deck consisted entirely of expansion packs; I never got a real starter deck.

Edited by Constructman

It's all a matter of synergy. If you were running a single type deck, energy distribution was easy as pie. If you tried to run all of your favorite different types though, it was a recipe for disaster.

~Totally like a boomerang. I always come back. Just never when you want me to.~

Out of all the people to betray the X-men, she was the last one I would of thought of.

War...war never changes.

We crawl, on our knees for you,
under, a sky no longer blue,
we sweat, all day long for you.

But we sow, seeds to see us though,
cause sometimes dreams just don't come true,
we wait, to reap what we are due.

-Rise Against, Re-Education (through Labor)