Desolation

Wyrd Bid Ful Araed

Desolation

Life is harsh in Bara Magna. Ain't nothin' but sand and heat and decent folk can't live off either o' those. Head out into the wilderness and you ain't gonna find anything that wont try t' use your bones for toothpicks. Nothin' else out there but the sand and the heat…

Oh, and a quiet little town called Desolation.

The town was founded years ago by the Fire Tribe, metal-grubbin' hot-heads that they were, mid-way between the furnaces they called home and the great arena of Atero. Dropped it right on top of sinkhole sittin' on a rich vein of exsidian, with a lake nearby for drinkin' and powerin' water-wheels. That this put it in the ominously named Creep Canyons did not figure into their careful calculations. Nor did the Ice Tribe's interest in keeping their…whats that word…mono-polly on exisdian. The two almost had their Glatorian come to blows over ownership of the town afore making an agreement to share. With the two tribes backin' it the place became a boom town, flourishing as long as they were pullin' exsidian out the ground.

Which, these last three years, they haven't been.

The vein dried up. No more fancy metal. So no more interest from the hot-heads or the cold-hearts. The place has been gettin' by on passin' trade and the curiosity of travellin' folks but make no mistake, the town called Desolation is sick and dying. It has become infamous as a haven for those whose activities are of a…dubiously legal bent. Thieves and smugglers and crooks of every colour infested the town like a plague of black-hearted crows, and quickly established themselves as under no law. The old Sheriff used to stand up to them where he could, and did a lot to keep the town feelin' fresh and polished even if it were rustin' underneath, but this last month he were found lyin' in his office, stricken with a killin' blow to the head that was, accordin' to everyone, completely accidental. And if you buy that I got something that came out the backside of my Sand Stalker I'd like to sell ya.

Thing is, we already got a new guy willin' to take up the sheriff's star. And he might even be able to give this town a bit of a fixin' up. Just one slight problem. This new sheriff? He be one o' them Skrall…

The Setting

Welcome to Desolation. Population: You. Its a small town on Bara Magna out the way of the other major settlements and, ever since it stopped mining exsidian, out of their thoughts. As such the honest folk who used to make a living there have become beset by outlaws who use the place as a safe refuge. And since the only person willing to act as the town's sheriff in the face of these rogues is a naturally suspicious Skrall, the townsfolk are between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Will you play as a humble townie just trying to make their way in life? A noble swordswinger trying to clean the town up vigilante style? Or one of the outlaws themselves, growing rich and fat off the labour of others?

Profiles

Currently no limits on character creation. Just fill out a profile, get it approved and off you go.

Name:

Species:

Appearance:

Equipment:

History:

Example:

Name: Black Buck

Species: Skrall

Appearance: He's…a Skrall. Long of limb and spiky of armour. Though he has replaced the black of his armour for dark red in an effort to fit in more, an effort that is somewhat negated by the long black coat he wears, complete with matching stetson

Equipment: Skrall shield and longsword. Thornax launcher

History: The Skrall with no name turned up in Desolation the very day the Glatorian previously holding the role of sheriff was killed. This, naturally, made people a bit wary of him. People tend not to believe in coincidence in Desolation. Even when he took up the mantle of town sheriff himself the suspicion barely lifted. People started referring to him as "that black buckethead" which became abbreviated into his informal name even when he ditched the black armour in favour of crimson.

Despite the ill-will that surrounds him like a cloud he's actually been one of the most effective forces for good in the town, breaking up many cartels and crime-rings that would have driven the town all the swifter to its doom.

Locations

Desolation is only a small town, but it has many places that have become hubs for activity in one form or another...

Madam Imadam's: A humble inn run by a Water Tribe Agori under the pseudonym of Imadam, it is a tavern and boozer to the regular locals, and a hotel and stables to the passing company who are only staying in Desolation for a day or two. It is one of the few places to remain consistently profitable in these hard times, enough to maintain the building which is twice the size of any other in the town. Imadam herself is a useful friend to have, as she and her staff often her many secrets spilled by tongues loosed by drink...

Slim Sideways: Like Imadam's this is a place you can go to get a drink and play a round of cards with your pals. Its a bit more...low-rent than that establishment though, and refrains from offering rooms. It gets the name because it was one of the last places to be built in Desolation, and the competition for space forced it to be built on the sinkhole itself. As such, half the building is actually built vertically, clinging to the rock wall. Little porches are set into the walls for tables and chairs, with stairs running to and from them. This...unnerving situation puts off a lot of folk, so the place has become a mainstay for the shadier customers, who value the privacy.

Sheriff's Office: A simple squarish box of a room in the centre of Desolation. This gives it a very sturdy look, only enhanced by the hefty stone work that went into constructing it. And what shows on the surface is only half the building, as there is another layer underground; a lock-up intended to more securely hold longer-term prisoners, at least before it became impractical to do so.

Ghost Street: Four main streets spear out from the centre of Desolation, looking like a X from above, and Ghost Street is the one that runs north-west. It used to be the route people heading to Iconox would take, and as the exsidian business died out, so did Ghost Street. People living there either moved on or moved out, leaving the street a dusty shell of its former self. Its a bitter reminder of the fate in store for the entire town, so people rarely go there, leaving it for the silence and tumbleweeds.

Church of the Beast: Nobody rightly knows who built the Church of the Beast, or why. It stands just outside the town, though can easily be reached by following the south-east road known as Church Street, a strange lopsided construction made of what appears to be wattle and daub...except where there should be rods and sticks to support it are glistening white bones. The bones are from any species living in the desert, no preference has been made, and the run through the Church as they would have done through their original owners. Most notably there is a skull of something huge and horned that nobody has been able to identify hanging on the lintel of the main doors, staring down at all who enter, which gives the Church its name. The townsfolk have left the Church standing as the tourism generated by curious visitors is one of the few things keeping the town alive.

Rules

• BZP Rules apply, obviously
  • No god-modding (e.g. controlling someone else's character, having your character do something impossible). And if someone god-modes against you, don't do it back, tell a Staffie
  • This is a Text-Based RPG, so to join in you post what is basically a miniature story for what is currently happening to your character
  • Don't bunny (meaning control extensively) other peoples characters without their permission
  • No silliness such as suddenly firing cream pies from your Thornax. Believe me, it's not as funny as you think
  • Don't glory hog or continuously degrade someone else's character
  • Use IC for In-Character and OOC for Out-Of-Charactere.g:IC: The Agori leapt from ledge to ledge, trying to escape the enraged Rock SteedOOC: Hey Randommember1, care to join in?

A big thanks to all who have RPed with me, making me better at it in the process, and everyone who has criticised and advised me to make my ideas better as well.

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC:

Near the center of town, in an inn known as Madame Imadam's, several of the staff rolled their eyes.

Perched on a stool near the bar was one of the most regular patrons the tavern had, in fact, one could almost predict the time of day based on his comings and goings. He never failed to appear at sunset, and his first order was always the same. In fact, there were several in town that liked to joke that the day the Glatorian failed to show up for a drink was the day they could go look for his body.

Jeyn took a long gulp of his beverage, a strong beer of unknown make. No one ever really inquired where it was from or what it was made out of, they'd learned a long time back that they wouldn't find out. It was one of the most popular drinks, and it had been served without fail for years. A moment later, the Glatoran set the empty mug down, glancing at the being manning the bar.

"How about another?"

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC: Iana - Madam Imadam's

"Why not Jeyn, it's not like your liver is ever gon' recover anyway!"

That elicited a few barks of laughter from around the inn, even though I meant it in the utmost seriousness. Honestly, why does everyone always think I'm telling jokes when I'm trying to warn them of their impending deaths?

Still, I had a job to do here, and I refilled the Glatorian's glass, sliding it over to him with the grace of a sand bat on the prowl for some fresh meat.

"So, Jeyn," I asked idly, wiping down the counter for the umpteenth time today, "How's your time on this world going today?"

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC:

The glass hadn't even finished moving when it was plucked off of the counter, and a long drink was taken from it. There was barely a sound as it was set back down, though his hand didn't release it. A pair of orange eyes glanced at the one who had served him, mouth twisting into a wry grin.

"My liver ain't quite yet, and I don't expect it will any time soon. Besides, I'd rather my liver take me than give someone the satisfaction o' slipping a knife between my ribs."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

IC:

I shrugged, and continued wiping without bothering to look up at Jeyn, "I dunno; liver failure seems like it would be more painful than being stabbed in the heart. 'Cause if you're stabbed, you're just gone and dead, whereas with your liver, you're going, going, going, going, going and then you're dead."

I glanced up at the Glatorian, and quickly matched his grin with one of my own while I reached for his glass, "'Course, nobody takes my opinions of death seriously, so it's up to ya."

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC: Kantebe / Madam Imadans

"Ain't you e'er seen a yellow Glatorian before?" Kantebe asked Jeyn, whilst sitting slightly further down the bar a short distance off. "That's what happens when ya keep drinking. I ain't even lying here."

"Still, it's worth it." he said, finishing off a mug.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

IC:

"Eh, I'd rather not give the bugger that gets me the satisfaction of slippin' steel into me. If my liver gets me, well, take a few more shots o' whiskey, and spend the time til I pass drunk out of my skull."

He glanced at the new member of the conversation, shrugging. "Eh, yellow'll make blending in round here easier."

Edited by The Snark Knight

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: Zierum (Madam Imadans)

"I'll take just a glass of water, miss."

The speaker was another Glatorian, his statement directed at Iana. He declines to sit, instead just leaning on the bar itself.

"Cause apparently I'm the only customer here that's actually concerned with his liver, and plus I'm just plain thirsty."

AGoNWLR.jpg

They call me Zakaro. You should too.

IC: Not many people lived on the furthest stretches of Church Street. The proximity to the pile of bones that was the Church of the Beast made people uncomfortable for some reason. Still, where you got curious people you get entrepreneurial people trying to sell them things. In this case it was Cabarni, a Tesara Agori who had rather over-estimated how many people wanted a commemorative hat with a recreation of the Church's grisly skull decoration on the brim. He used the unopened boxes as furniture in his broken down shed of a home.

It was this home he was walking out of when he heard the rattling. He raised himself up off his knuckles so he could unsheathe the small knife he wore in a scabbard on his chest and crept over to the dark alley where he chucked his garbage.

"Oh you guys."

The was a trio of Zesk rummaging through the bags and bins, scavenging for any food or tools that weren't too broken down. He had seen all three individually before, enough that he could recognise certain scars and markings to tell them apart. But he'd never seen all three of them together before...

"Go on, scat!" He waved his knife at them threateningly. Normally they ran at the sight of a threat, but this time...they just stared. Twelve eyes glared at him from the shadows. Three blade tails glinted as they waved through the air...

Cabarni realised he was backing off, his feet having more sense than to try and take on three Zesk. He could take one, probably, but three? And it was a good job they were only Zesk, if a Vorox showed up...

Taking backwards steps he suddenly bumped into something unyielding. And armoured. And growling. No, his luck couldn't be that bad, surely...?

He slowly turned his head, looking at first a chest clad in dribs and drabs of cast-off armour that had been badly bashed together into something scarred but solid. As he tilted his head up he stared into a face with long extended mandibles, with spines and crests running in mimicry of some animal, and angry red eyes. He threw himself aside as the Vorox's stinger tail came swiping down at him, raising a cloud of dust where it slammed into the ground with feral ferocity. He kept running in a blind panic as the ghastly quartet howled behind him...

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC: Gaverin / Church Street

Out of the clear blue day came a rather strange sound - an imitation sound, actually. The sound of a very angry Alpha Vorox. One that Gaverin had always found to drive other Vorox away when emitted.

At least, that's what he hoped, for the sake of the Agori who was currently being pursued by a very hungry horde of the former Sand Tribe.

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

IC:

"Bah," Jeyn waved a hand at Zierum, taking another long draught from his drink. "You can worry 'bout your liver when you ain't got worse ways to die loomin' on the horizon."

"Like I said, I'd rather die o' liver failure than from steel." He abruptly paused, listening to what sounded like... A scream, perhaps? "Anyone else hear that?"

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:

"Thanks sweetie; here's your payment," I said to, er, what's her name? Kali or something; anyway, I handed her a pouch of whatever-our-currency-is-called-these-days, before turning to face the next customer.

"Finally, a health-conscious customer!" I exclaimed with a laugh, sliding a glass of water (which, I suppose, isn't that much better for you if it comes from around these parts) over to the stout Jungle Glatorian seated at the count--

A scream pierced the air suddenly, and I involuntarily shuddered. The cry brought a lot of bad memories, like that time I was camped out in the desert and these Bone Hunters came an--

Nope, not thinking about that toady, no sirree bub. Definitely thinking about anything pertaining to that subject.

"Anyone else hear that?"

"Yeah, sounds like Vorox," I said softly, "Think we oughta check it out?"

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC:

Jeyn downed the last of his drink in a single motion, sliding off of the stool easily, and turning to the door. His right hand moved to his side, carefully unfastening the brass button that kept the leather pouch at his belt sealed. The light gleamed against the carefully maintained wood and metal handle, catching the eye of the people around him.

The Glatorian's eyes held an unfamiliar light. Inside Madam Imadam's, his expression had been many things. Gleeful, ambitious, mischievous, even annoyed. But this one was new. "I think someone'd better."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:

An insane (by another person's perspective) grin crossed my face, and I snatched up a metre-long bundle that was lying underneath the counter, before vaulting over the piece of furniture itself in a mad dash to meet Jeyn at the door.

"Well then, I'm coming with you," I announced, planting myself firmly next to the mildly drunk warrior.

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC:

Jeyn shrugged, and pushed open the door, stepping out onto the street. The Glatorian of Fire drew his weapon, pulling back the primer with a loud click. His coat flapped in the mid-evening breeze, as he began to move towards the sound.

"Just try and keep up."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: Zierum (Bar)

"I'll come as well."

The Glatorian downed the water, not noticing the bitter, metallic taste it had, and stood, dropping some coins-hopefully they were valid, somewhere- into the empty cup and standing. He then turned and dashed after the other two, hands already checking his CTS. With luck, it wouldn't blow up in his face.

It hadn't happened with this model yet, so he had high hopes.

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

IC:

"Ooh! Ooh! Oooooh!"

From the doorway of Madame Imadam's inn, an Iron Glatorian was standing on her tiptoes, raising her hand up desperately like a schoolchild trying to answer a particularly difficult question. Her form was lithe and bubbly, but something in her deep, smokey eyes sang of something a bit deeper beneath the otherwise cute demeanor of the sudden new arrival.

"Can I come, too?"

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC(Hajet):

The dust burned his eyes.

Hajet wished he could use that excuse for his abnormal pink eyes, but they were a birthmark. He pulled his collar up higher to cover his watering eyes as he rushed across the street.

A distant scream made him turn his head, but only for a second. He didn't feel like playing the hero today. Not tomorrow. Not yesterday. Not even during the war. He wasn't a hero.

He fell into step on the worn path on the set of the road, following it to the inn.

He stopped in front of the Sheriff's office for a moment. The most secure building in Desolation, the last symbol of order in the town, and it's held by a Skrall.

"Trat." Hetaj swore quietly at the building.

----

A few feet later, and Hetaj was at the inn. Pushing open the door, Hetaj went inside.

WIP

IC:

Jeyn paused, glancing back to the newest speaker, raising an eyebrow. "Well, I don't see why not. But be careful. I'd hate to be the one to tell folks that the Vorox caught someone on my watch. They might not let me back in the bar for a while."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: Sykia

"Hey smelly!"

A feminine, but slightly rough, voice sounded not too far away from the brute of a Vorox currently terrorizing one of the locals. Standing there, hands on her hip, was what looked to be a Glatorian, with a rifle almost larger than she was strapped to her back. What she was doing was probably more than a bit dangerous, but Sykia wasn't about to let those things roam around in her home town.

"Why don't you go take a bath for once!"

Right now, all she had to do was get their attention fixed on her, she could figure out how to deal with the rest later.

Right?

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC: Kranos

Kranos walked around for no apparent reason. He then stopped to examine something strange. A Vorox was attacking someone, and a Glatorian-from the looks of it- with a huge gun was trying to get the attention of it. He stepped closer, hand on his sheath. Maybe she'd need my help.

IC:

"Aw, Jeyn, y'know we'd always let you back in here," I said cheerfully, idly shucking the cloth wrappings of my sheathed sword, "Now that we know how you don't wanna die, we'll be sure to let you in, should you let any o' us die out there..."

Without waiting for a response, I slung the weapon onto my back, stepping out into the harsh midday sun and the course breeze. However, spotting Jeyn's coat flapping in the sandy wind, I remembered, with a jolt, that I'd left my scarf at home.

And it would've looked so cool in the breeze, too.

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC:To say that Jeyn didn't was time would be an understatement. After flashing a quick smirk at Iana, before breaking into a sprint. He crossed ground at a tremendous rate, moving toward where the group Vorox and Zesk had appeared, gun in hand. He could hear them, and he could hear a new arrival.

The sound was getting louder. He was close.

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: The Vorox stared at Sykia, her diversion working well. Whether that was good or bad was up for debate. Its eyes glimmered with...not intelligence, precisely, but a certain kind of vicious cunning. It seemed to recognise her gun as some form of weapon and it was making it leery.

The suddenly it moved.

Not a charge, it apparently wasn't quite stupid enough to just run straight at an armed Glatorian. It swept its tail at the ground, bringing up a huge cloud of dust and sand that flew at Sykia. Only then, when she'd be blinded by the miniature storm, did it charge, wielding a short spear in one hand and bunching its other into a tight fist

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC: Zierum (Streets)

The Glatorian rushed after Jeyn, using one hand-and eye-to check over his CTS. Upon arrival on the scene, he just took a look at the dust cloud and other beings there before deciding that the time for action was close. As in, right now. Perhaps his aim could be off if he tried to hit the Vorox, the dust cloud was in the way. There was, however, other targets..

click-CRACK!

The Shooter discharged, sending out both one Thornax dart and a heck of a noise. The dart itself flew true, embedding itself into the leg of one of the Zesk, who howled in pain.

Zierum decided not to say that he had been aiming for the Zesk on the left instead of the one on the middle right, who was still screaming in pain.

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

With a cry more so of anoyance than fright, Sykia back peddled furiously from the direction of which the dust cloud had originated, though it did little more than just make her even more confused. Through the light sound of the sand falling back to the ground, she could just hear the impacts of the Vorox's clawed feet onto the dusty ground as it charged forward. Completely blinded by the miniature dust storm, she did the most sensable thing when one has a Vorox charging at them, get away.

Without wasting a second, Sykia lept to the side, and hopefully out of the way of the stinger-tailed creature.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC: As one of the Zesk was hit with Zierum's Thornax, the other two scattered, vanishing int the shadows of the alley, leaving their compatriot to scream and howl.

Skyria's evasion left trails of swirling dust in the cloud, trails the Vorox could see and follow. While its charge had taken its spear and fist past her, it still had its tail. The bladed stinger lashed out, striking down at Skyria's head

7AOYGDJ.jpg

OOC: @beggar, the bartender right now is just an NPC (ever since my char abandoned her post).

IC:

The sandstorm wouldn't be pleasant to fight in, I realized, but it wasn't exactly like it would provide some grave hinderance to my abilities. It couldn't be worse than fighting in the dead of night, with only the faint illumination from the dingy windows of taverns and inns lighting the way.

Yeah, I'll be fine.

With movements like a rushing river, I drew my sword in a high, sweeping arc as a way to slice through the wall of sand and grit blocking my view, before sliding into the fray. The dust was, as it turned out, a little harder to see in than I had anticipated (unlike darkness, it really bites your eyeballs), but the rough shape a prone Zesk was clear enough.

Silver streaked through the air, aiming for a clean stab into the creature's body, which would hopefully be a strike too quick and obscured to dodge effectively.

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

IC:

A loud bang sounded, as a metal slug ripped through the air toward the Vorox's shoulder blades. It was an ideal place to aim; hard to miss, and even if he did miss, there was plenty of target all around it. The dust from its initial charge now settled, he had a relatively clear shot.

Jayen tore another packet of powder with his teeth, and began to pour it down the smoking barrel.

Edited by The Snark Knight

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC DrinkerOut of the door of Imadam's, another being emerged. Said being was Drinker, the town's resident socialite, one of the last shreds of high society to survive on Bara Magna. Slowly sipping a mug of ale-"Cheap ale," he thought to himself-he observed the scene closely. Eyes roving around, he finally grabbed his broken shield halves. Strapping one onto each forearm, he advanced towards the Vorox, ready for battle. Even with his obvious limp, the mere sight of a battle ready Skrall would be enough to send terror into the hearts of lesser beings. Drinker could only hope that this Vorox was one of those beings.

IC: Kranos

Before the blow struck his target, the Vorox slammed its arm into Kranos and he went flying. He hit the ground hard and managed to sit up, dazed. Kranos sat there for a moment, forgetting where he was for a second. He then stood up, a little shaky but with a seemingly crazed grin on his face, and turned to the Vorox.

"Now, round two?"

OOC: hang on a sec all you limes

exactly how many vorox are there?

these posts are confuzzling me

Roll out of the way, he's got three limbs on that torso.

Continuing on with her dive to the ground, Sykia rolled forward. Not a moment too soon, either, as the wickedly shard stinger tail slashed through the air where her head had been moments before. If she'd been a tad slower, well... At least they'd have a body to bury, even it it wouldn't be that pretty without a head attached. Going from rolling on the ground to a low crouch some distance away, she unlimbered her massive rifle from her back, the weapon already loaded.

"Alright then."

Now that the dust had settled, she could see the Vorox quite well. In a single smooth motion, she shouldered the rifle, loaded with one of those explosively ripe thornax, and fired.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -