Do You Want Bionicle Back?

Makuta_of_Oz

Do you want the sets back?  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm gonna regret this... I'm still seeing people openly saying that they don't want Bionicle back. So, I decided to start a poll to see if there is still a majority of Bionicle fans who still want the sets back.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Totally. I was thinking maybe a PROPER ending to the bionicle saga, rereleasing every set so far. This has one problem: most stores would need an entire aisle to BIONICLE!

My first (and currently ONLY) MOC on BZP! >

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=5426

PLAGUE

14780599_c638_625x625.jpg

Avatar pic taken [and edited] by me. DON"T STEAL IT!

:P

No. I don't think that, if BIONICLE was brought back at this moment in time, that Lego would handle it good enough to satisfy the fanbase. Because of that, I don't want the sets back, at least not right now. -Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

No. I don't think that, if BIONICLE was brought back at this moment in time, that Lego would handle it good enough to satisfy the fanbase. Because of that, I don't want the sets back, at least not right now. -Mesonak

It doesn't have to be brought back right now. I meant do you want it back at all, even if we have to wait twenty boring years.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

It doesn't have to be brought back right now. I meant do you want it back at all, even if we have to wait twenty boring years.
Aw,come on! I don't want to be thirty just to get more Bionicles!

My first (and currently ONLY) MOC on BZP! >

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=5426

PLAGUE

14780599_c638_625x625.jpg

Avatar pic taken [and edited] by me. DON"T STEAL IT!

:P

No. I don't believe, in 20 years, that Lego would have the right mindset to continue BIONICLE. If they do, it would likely be a mangled shell of its former self. Something could change to make me think differently, but for now I'm enjoying HF too much to throw my support behind BIONICLE's return, especially considering my feelings toward Lego handling it well. To elaborate on what I mean by handling, if say, BIONICLE returns with HF-like sets AND a HF-like story, I would not want it back. I would only want BIONICLE back if it retained the overall aesthetic that the sets used to have (very detailed, not smooth and streamlined like HF), and if the same caliber of storytelling was maintained, which I doubt. -Mesonak

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

I actually dont mind about the sets not comming back. But I long ago converted to the actualy storyline, rather than the sets.But then i would like to see them back. But like HUGE sets. like what they did with axonn. something that makes me feel accomplished when its done. *idea!* life sized toa.... hmm...

axonn, trying to excape my signature

Untitled-2.gif

I thought for a while about this, but I'm afraid I had to go with no. The chances of Lego successfully pulling off an official Bionicle revivle that would be true to the original is, sadly, very low, for reasons that have already been stated way too many times. What I would like however is the reissue of classic Bionicle sets, similar to the classic minifigure collection. And if they do, they should be as close as possible to the originals in both construction and molded parts, not a 2002 Thunderbird-esque "modern interpretation" of the old sets. You should'nt try to fix something that isn't broken.

Of course I want them back. Why do you think I immersed Copenhagen in polycarbonate plastic?

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Of course, though like others have said, I'm not certain how well the spirit of the original would be recaptured if the line was to return.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I enjoyed the theme from beginning to end, so I voted no. To enjoy it from beginning to end, after all, you have to accept that it ended. And in my opinion, it ended well. I think part of the reason it ended was an inescapable consequence of its nature as a toy line. It had a sprawling, epic storyline with lots of characters we came to know and love. But it was difficult for new fans joining in later on to appreciate the theme fully unless they got to know all the backstory for these characters and settings. And being a primarily a toy line rather than a book series or movie franchise, older story couldn't really be promoted by TLG when it was no longer effective at selling the sets still on store shelves. They did try, through the 2008 re-imagining of BIONICLEstory.com, to make older story years more accessible to newer fans. But that was no substitute for what had to be learned from the books and movies that had come previously. And again, BIONICLE was a toy line-- thus, the majority of fans would grow out of it, requiring new fans to appear to keep it successful. There were also two attempts-- 2006 and 2009-- to create new "jumping-on points" for fans, where the older story would just complement the new story rather than being necessary for understanding it. The comics started off with new numbers and the settings shifted dramatically. With that said, I don't think either of these attempted "reboots" went as intended. I know I wouldn't have liked the story of either of these years much at all if I didn't know they were the legacy of so much that had come before. I think Hero Factory and Ninjago could potentially have more staying power than BIONICLE, even though BIONICLE got off to a much better start than Hero Factory in terms of sales, becoming one of TLG's most successful product lines in 2002. If BIONICLE were to return, I do not think it could be such a rich and dense universe as it was before, since a more episodic story seems to be more reliable than BIONICLE's continuous saga. And in the form of a more episodic story I think BIONICLE would the epic scale and sense of grandness that made it so lovable in the first place.

I told you I'd regret making this poll... Suddenly I'm tempted to have it closed and the results wiped clean before a LEGO employee sees it...

Voted "Unsure" because I don't actively wish for the sets to return, but I would probably buy at least a few if they did. Also, you should have this poll removed just because you don't like the results. That seems rather excessive. ~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

No, I don't, and for good reasons. The sets were getting too repetitive, and I love the new Hero Factory building system. Not to mention that the story is terrible when it's limited to the sets. Think about Voyage of Fear, Maze of Shadows, Time Trap, the online serials... The story is at its best when Greg has the freedom to do what he wants. Don't get me wrong, I love Bionicle, and I would want it back if it could be what it once was. But seeing what the sets have become, and how good the story is, I don't want it to go back to how it was.

No. I don't believe, in 20 years, that Lego would have the right mindset to continue BIONICLE. If they do, it would likely be a mangled shell of its former self. Something could change to make me think differently, but for now I'm enjoying HF too much to throw my support behind BIONICLE's return, especially considering my feelings toward Lego handling it well. To elaborate on what I mean by handling, if say, BIONICLE returns with HF-like sets AND a HF-like story, I would not want it back. I would only want BIONICLE back if it retained the overall aesthetic that the sets used to have (very detailed, not smooth and streamlined like HF), and if the same caliber of storytelling was maintained, which I doubt. -Mesonak

Ah, but who would be the Lego employees at that time? The people working there now would be retiring in a few years, and our generation would be taking over the Lego company. Edited by Zarohum

50-50, i would love the bonicle saga to come back and there more sets but i;m not sure if lego would be able to make more story with out going to the beginning. I personally think the best option is to make a promo in a year or 2 that the rerelease ALL the sets they way they were but that's wishful thinking.

naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gifNacuu's Slow Dance!!naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gif

:kaukau:I voted "yes" but it's not a solid answer, because I understand their reason for quitting and there is the issue of how good it would be if it picked up again. For me, however, it had already gone far enough from my expectations that a different feel upon a rebuttal wouldn't hurt me. I loved the flow of the MNOG narrative where there weren't so many factions and I could spend time just enjoying the community of Tohunga. It was a close, hospitable atmosphere with good scenery and good music. Then there was that mystic mystery, the LEGO fantasy, and the almost cinematic feel. What I wouldn't give to see that again. Obviously I won't, since the series won't reboot, but can still play MNOG and have a good time, though it's not going to beat the sensation of it all back when it was new. Still, I wouldn't mind if the series continued up again, just to maintain some form of a legacy in the name of the original. Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

50-50, i would love the bonicle saga to come back and there more sets but i;m not sure if lego would be able to make more story with out going to the beginning. I personally think the best option is to make a promo in a year or 2 that the rerelease ALL the sets they way they were but that's wishful thinking.

Perhaps they could make sets that support the story, rather than the other way around like it's been the past 10 years. Regardless, now that the two groups of societies have come together on Spherus Magna, quadrillions of new story opportunities have opened up. After a break, it'll be VERY easy to start a new story with the current canon.

No, I don't, I feel bad saying this on a Bionicle fansite, but they had their time in the sun, ten years time. I don't want them back, nor do I need them back, I've moved on from buying Lego sets, so they really don't have a purpose in my life anymore. *Shrug* It looks like BZP is half-and-half on this subject... -Skar

I told you I'd regret making this poll... Suddenly I'm tempted to have it closed and the results wiped clean before a LEGO employee sees it...

LEGO wouldn't use a poll like this on a BIONICLE fansite to determine demand anyway. They'd use real market research with a more representative sampling of kids. Usually, the consumers determine whether a theme is viable, not the designers. The real question is why BIONICLE would come back. The theme was ended not because of some arbitrary decision but because its sales were no longer significant compared to the sales a new theme with a different story structure would offer. Hero Factory has proven quite successful with its simpler character names, and its simpler and more episodic story. It's not one of LEGO's most successful themes like BIONICLE was in 2002, but Hero Recon Team has been a huge success (pretty consistently remaining in the top 20 items on shop.LEGO.com). It's impossible to tell at this point if it has staying power, but Hero Factory ending would not offer even the slightest evidence that BIONICLE would be any more successful. Another question I have is why do you want it back? If you liked it so much before, what makes you think the necessary changes to make the story more sustainable than before wouldn't affect what you liked about the story? Hero Factory, after all, doesn't have nearly so many species, characters, elemental powers, locations, or other universe details as BIONICLE did. And Hero Factory's story was largely written based on what hadn't proven effective in BIONICLE. A revived BIONICLE theme would therefore likely have to eliminate a lot of these rich details in favor of a more simplistic adventure story with no deep overarching plot. Personally, I think the theme ended well. There are plenty more opportunities for stories, it's true. But the fact is that unless people actually appreciate these stories, then they're just a hindrance to the theme's success rather than an asset. The failure of the BIONICLE books speaks far louder than anything I could say on the subject.

It's not like it matters anyway. Lego knows, by this point, that the fanbase is split on the subject. The knowledge hasn't altered their course at all. -Mesonak

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Another question I have is why do you want it back? If you liked it so much before, what makes you think the necessary changes to make the story more sustainable than before wouldn't affect what you liked about the story? Hero Factory, after all, doesn't have nearly so many species, characters, elemental powers, locations, or other universe details as BIONICLE did. And Hero Factory's story was largely written based on what hadn't proven effective in BIONICLE. A revived BIONICLE theme would therefore likely have to eliminate a lot of these rich details in favor of a more simplistic adventure story with no deep overarching plot.

Personally, I generally like a franchise for its characters and its races and their cultures, rather than the actual story itself, and Bionicle is no exception. That's not to say I have anything against the story, but I always look at the characters and culture first.

This is such a broad question; obviously I think a lot of people would like BIONICLE back at a certain point, but at what point, for instance? Would it co-exist with Hero Factory? If the sets are going to use the same/similar building style, I'm going to say no, I don't want it back. Hero Factory really embodies the new style, and I don't think it would quite fit BIONICLE. But like I said, it's a really vague question, so I don't think the answers you get are going to express everything that you would need to know about what people think (I tend to call these "self gratification" polls, but I digress).

This is such a broad question; obviously I think a lot of people would like BIONICLE back at a certain point, but at what point, for instance? Would it co-exist with Hero Factory? If the sets are going to use the same/similar building style, I'm going to say no, I don't want it back. Hero Factory really embodies the new style, and I don't think it would quite fit BIONICLE. But like I said, it's a really vague question, so I don't think the answers you get are going to express everything that you would need to know about what people think (I tend to call these "self gratification" polls, but I digress).

What I asked was if people wanted Bionicle back at all. I never thought of "Depends", but I guess "unsure" counts as such. People who wanted it back after a certain amount of time could say "yes", because they'd still want it back

I'm not sure if LEGO would be able to make it appealing enough to the fanbase.

twilight_toa_takanewva.gif

Gavla's Comics 4.0 Dark's Comics the 3rd Movie Bm-the Prequel Bionicle Star Wars Vezon the Were-Spinax Unity, Duty, Something

Credit to Rokroro for the banner. And credit to Golden Avohkii for the avatar

Check out this great epic: Toa Takua's Epicenter

Formerly "Takanuva Toa of Twilight"