A Theory Of Sound

Sound is vibration, yes? Vibrations that pass through the air. The De-matoran have the power to drasticaly hear sound, at long distances and are sensetive to it. But they are essentially Vibrations. so, A Toa of Sonics has the power to control sound, yes. Does this also mean they (should be) able to control and create vibrations? Can a toa of sonics absorb vibrations?

axonn, trying to excape my signature

Untitled-2.gif

I think, if I'm understanding what you are saying correctly, that a Toa of Sonics could create vibrations. And if they can increase or decrease their control over sound, then that would allow them to control the strength of vibrations. But I don't think they could absorb vibrations because the vibrations are not sound itself. They are a result of sound, and thus couldn't be absorbed by them.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Can a Toa of Sonics, move as fast as sound? A toa of Light can move as fast as light so why not?

I thought I had heard somewhere that they could.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Can a Toa of Sonics, move as fast as sound? A toa of Light can move as fast as light so why not?

There was a topic about this on the old forums, Can't find it now, but I think some-body said no, they couldn't.

"Only the insane equate pain with success.

Only the savage regard endurance of pain as a measure of worth.

Only the foolish consider pain to be just wages for being different".- The Cheshire Cat (American McGee's Alice/Alice:Madness Returns)

I don't remember reading anywhere that a Toa of Light could move as fast as light. Takanuva never did, and I don't remember reading anywhere that he could. And thus I don't think a Toa of Sonics could move as fast as sound either.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Here's a 2007 quote from GregF regarding the Toa of Sonics:

5. What can a Toa of Sonics do exactly? Can they control any sound? Could they make it sound like there was a stampede of rahi about to crush you?5a. Would they, if some how traveling faster that the speed of sound, be able to absorb the Sonics created?

5) They can't travel faster than sound, so the point is moot. And they can create and control sound, which includes absorbing all sound from an area or creating objects made of sound.
While your question and the answer here might be slightly different, Toa of Sonics probably cannot move as fast as the speed of sound.

jlovfkk.jpg

I don't remember reading anywhere that a Toa of Light could move as fast as light. Takanuva never did, and I don't remember reading anywhere that he could. And thus I don't think a Toa of Sonics could move as fast as sound either.
The only beings I can remember traveling at light speed were Photok and Pohatu, because that was Photok's special link-with-a-toa power. Other av-maoran's link-up powers do fall within a toa's powers (producing light as an energy source, making solid light-objects), so there is nothing to say that this one shouldn't as well. It could be that Takanuva hasn't used that particular power yet, but would be able to if he put the efort into learning how

ppg2.png

I'd imagine that a Toa of Sound would be able to manipulate said element.

My quote wasn't posted to confirm that a Toa of Sonics can manipulate Sonics, but rather that they can't move at the speed of sound. :)
It does sound like the quote said He couldnt move faster than sound, but nothing about being unable to reach the speed of sound. I read Takanuva can move at sound, and as can Umbra

Untitled-2.gif

Yes, Umbra can definitely move as fast as (but no faster than) light. I don't remember ever hearing about Takanuva being able to do the same, but I don't see why he couldn't. A Toa of Sonics can, likewise, probably move as fast as (but no faster than) sound. And vibrations are sounds, for all intents and purposes, so, yes, I'd say a Toa of Sonics should be able to control and manipulate vibrations as well. :mirunu: Lewa0111 Nuva :mirunu:

My Script Comedies: | The Nuva Inn Remake | Ask Matau! Remake (ACCEPTING QUESTIONS!) |

My Prose Comedies: | The BZ-Nui Hack Wars | Mata Nova |

ANNOUNCEMENT: The Nuva Inn is BACK IN BUSINESS!! (See my blog for more info on my writing projects)

ANNOUNCEMENT 2: Looking for voice actors and artists/animators for an upcoming video project! PM me if interested!

How, mechanically, would a toa move the speed of light or sound? Just because they control an element doesn't mean they are able to go as fast as it. Also, on the actual topic, I think that a Toa of sonics could control vibrations, but it would be just like vibrating something with sound. So they would be able to make earthquakes. Hmm...

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

I think, if I'm understanding what you are saying correctly, that a Toa of Sonics could create vibrations. And if they can increase or decrease their control over sound, then that would allow them to control the strength of vibrations. But I don't think they could absorb vibrations because the vibrations are not sound itself. They are a result of sound, and thus couldn't be absorbed by them.

Other way round. Sound is a result of vibrations.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

It makes sense they cant move faster then their own element. Besides, moving faster then light causes time travel as well as blind-ness

In our physics yes (BTW, does that mean those neutrinos went back in time?), but time travel simply doesn't exist in BIONICLE.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Sound is a result of resonance and vibration in the air at a certain wavelength. A Toa of sonics would be able to stop or control the sound in the air, but not the vibration of the object that it's coming from. He could however create sound at a certain pitch that would cause vibration in the environment around him, e.g. shattering glass or causing structural damage in a building.

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

It makes sense they cant move faster then their own element. Besides, moving faster then light causes time travel as well as blind-ness

In our physics yes (BTW, does that mean those neutrinos went back in time?), but time travel simply doesn't exist in BIONICLE.
I don't think any character in Bionicle can travel faster than the speed of light. Umbra and Photok can travel near the speed of light, but not at or above it. Traveling at the speed of light would cause them to age indefinitely, and traveling faster would cause time to be imaginary (not negative), both of which clearly don't happen in the series.

I don't think any character in Bionicle can travel faster than the speed of light. Umbra and Photok can travel near the speed of light, but not at or above it. Traveling at the speed of light would cause them to age indefinitely, and traveling faster would cause time to be imaginary (not negative), both of which clearly don't happen in the series.
A Vahi could rectify the second problem, if not the first.

aouROFb.png

That is true, but who could weild such a powerful mask? none of the characters could fully control its powers. Artahka might have a chance at using the mask of time, seeing as he already weilds the mask of creation and probably would have the mental srength to fully use the mask of time. In order to travel faster then light, you need to weild a mask that so far noone has fully controlled.

Untitled-2.gif

That is true, but who could weild such a powerful mask? none of the characters could fully control its powers. Artahka might have a chance at using the mask of time, seeing as he already weilds the mask of creation and probably would have the mental srength to fully use the mask of time. In order to travel faster then light, you need to weild a mask that so far noone has fully controlled.

Event the mask of time can't turn back time. It can stop it, yes, and slow down or speed it up, but it can't turn it backwards. Edited by Visaru

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

A Toa of sonics doesn't necessarily have to be considered to have a separate "power of vibrations" ability. Considering what sound is, all a Toa of Sonics must do is send a controlled sound wave into an object and - Voila!...vibrations. Similarly, a Sonics Toa can absorb sound. Every vibration above atomic level technically results in 'sound,' just not anything that can be heard. This is because the 'sound' may only travel for a few atoms before disappating into atomic vibrations, which are something else. Atomic vibrations are governed by something called th weak force, one of the four fundamental forces of physics which is not connected to the idea of sound as is therefore unrelated. So a Toa of Sonics can also quell any vibrations UP TO the atomic level, but as soon as that level is brought into question is is no longer sonics and the Toa has no domain over it. I don't see why anyone would bring this up related to what I just said, but before anyone has the chance to, let me address it. We KNOW vibration physics at least vaguely similar to our world physics exists in the Bionicle universe because there are beings with sonic abilities - the point of this topic. Therefore, there should be no reason to consider our physics (as I have described above) necesarrily wrong until there is an actual canon reason to do so. None of this conflicts with current canon as far as I know, so this should be an adequate explanation of the connection between a Toa of Sonics and vibrations.

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.

They are a result of sound, and thus couldn't be absorbed by them.

Actually, sound is an organism's way to sense vibration. Vibration is INTERPRETED by our brains as sound, not vibrations RESULTING from sound.As far as the original theory, sound as we define it in everyday activity is simply the vibrations that we can sense, nothing lower or higher. Therefore, if the MU definition of sound is the same, a Toa of Sonics can control vibrations in the audible range.