Best Movie Villains

Toa Zaz

Hannibal Lecter. He has such a strong, developed character. He cuts right through the human mind and soul and his sharp, brilliant mind is beaten by none. And I'm of course talking about the Hannibal from the book series, though Anthony Hopkins did a magnificent job at portraying him. As for the younger Hannibal Lecter, Gaspard Ulliel... Y-U-M-M-Y. He's so cute.

tumblr_n3nqpzvUrQ1qlzuomo1_500.gif

• [*]Davy Jones (plays the organ with his tentacles!)[*]The Master (funny is like this; not funny is like this!)[*]Magneto (Ian Mckellen = awesome)[*]William Stryker (Brian Cox also = awesome)[*]The Joker (whom I have only just discovered was a brilliant character. RIP Heath.)[*]The Frenchman from Monty Python's Holy Grail

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

:kaukau:I'm not going for novelty here or honorary mentions, so seeing as the title of this topic is best movie villains, I'm just going to say things as they are, based upon their cultural significance: 1. Dracula2. Darth Vader (This was a very close call)3. The Wicked Witch of the West4. Hannibal Lecter5. HAL 9000 Honorary mentions? Nurse Rached. Frankenstein's Monster. Sauron. Golem/Smeagol. Scar. Malefiscent. Judge Claude Frollo (not just the Disney version, either). Hans Gruber. Magneto. The Joker. Lex Luthor (although I'm thinking of Smallville, which was a TV show). The Alien from Alien. Freddy Kruger. Mr. Potter. Vizzini (or the eleven-fingered man who killed poor Inigo's father). Godzilla. Amon Göth. Adolf Hitler (Downfall/Der Undergang), The Shark. A T-Rex running rampant in Jurassic Park. Khan. The Iceburg. Normal Bates. Gordon Gekko. Biff. The man who framed Roger Rabbit. The man who shot Bambi's mother. The Terminator. Scut Farkus, the bully in A Christmas Story. Bob Ewell. Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

1. General Jack D. Ripper (precious...bodily...fluids...)2. Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpitine (soon the rebellion will be crushed and young Skywalker will be one of us)3. Mr. Potter (Bail out the Building and Loan?! Ha! Go jump off a bridge on Christmas Eve for all I care!)4. Jaws (from James Bond)5. Edward Rooney (OPEN THE DOOR FERRIS!!!) My Abridged list.

The Emperor is probably the most evil character in the history of forever, but since everybody's said him I'll go with soemthing novel: The JP1 Velociraptors. They are smart, stubborn, and will stop at nothing to find, tear, murder, and consume their prey. That scene in the kitchen is absolutely terrifying.

Signature Guidelines: Signature may not exceed the 800x300 limit. For more reference use the box located in your signature editor.

I'm not saying this because I'm biased because of my past as a BIONICLE fan boy, but I seriously do consider Makuta (or Teridax if you will) as a brilliant, brilliant character. Fiercely intelligent, bold and charismatic, he was a mastermind that few writers out there could have conceived. Even looking at a few of his quotes, you know that if you placed that character inside a more serious book series that's not based on a toy line, you have a great character, full of depth. He is the sole reason why I'm seriously tempted to order the BIONICLE books. Greg Farshtey is a seriously underestimated writer. I don't know if he's content with working for the LEGO company, but I could imagine him being able to write a series of awesome, serious books.

tumblr_n3nqpzvUrQ1qlzuomo1_500.gif

:kaukau:You know, the warden from The Shawshank Redemption came to my mind, too, except I couldn't remember his name either. I also thought of that guy from The Green Mile, another inspirational Stephen King movie. That miniseries, Rose Red, was also very intriguing as far as the ghosts went. Rooney also sort of came to my mind as I was thinking through various comedic villains. While I'm at it, the Wet Bandits/Sticky Bandits from Home Alone 1&2. And while I'm on Christmas films, Scrooge! You know, Scrooge is good enough that he might actually be worthy of the top 5 list. Especially if you've ever seen the version titled An Americal Christmas Carol with the main character being named Benedict Slade. That has got to be my favorite incarnation. I had also considered mentioning The Makuta, except I didn't necessarily like his appearances in the Bionicle movies. However, in MNOG II and the last Bohrok Kal episode, he was a pretty cool villain, and I suppose that I could almost count MNOG as a movie. His quotes are awesome, and his evil preence is pretty cool. I really missed the old idea that he really was Mata Nui's jealous brother who followed him to the world and cast a spell on him. Te idea of him being that kind of being, and that he would inhabit the island in such a weird way that he did, was really quite cool. It's not always easy to pull off a devilish character and make it seem truly fitting. I mean, the way that MNOG presented it, I felt that he truly was the evil dark force of the Bionicle universe. Sometimes pure evil can be quite fun to watch. And that name. Maaakuuuuuutaaaa. Very ominous. It totally gives me that vibe. Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh Edited by Emperor Kraggh

Joker from the '89 movie, whom I consider to be the perfect movie Joker because he is both terrifyingly psychotic and hilarious at the same time. Surprised no one's mentioned Darth Vader yet...

He shot down Batman's plane with a pistol. That's either extremely awesome or extremely lazy writing. I personally think Dark Knight Joker was better, but I do think the '89 Batman Joker felt a bit more like the Joker..

Godzilla. Amon Göth. Adolf Hitler (Downfall/Der Untergang)

Fixed :) It was Untergang, not Undergang, all though I understand why it would be easy to make that mistake. I myself make it sometimes. In that movie... Bruno (I don't remember if his name has an umlaut or not) Ganz did such an amzing job of that role... it was terrifying, to say the least. My person top villian would have to be the Ring from Lord of the Rings. I knwo Sauron was the big bad, but he just a flaming eye ball the whole time. The ring itself really did the most evil. Darth Vader, of course, is a close second. I don't like the prequel movies, but Darth Vader reminds why I loved Star Wars when I was little. Megatron from Transformers would be my third. Too hard to explain why... But Megatron. Say it! It just sounds mean.. And Makuta of course! :) MTL

Makuta is an awesome villain. He turns the worst case scenarios of his plans into alternative plans. He started with putting Matoran into comatose, hoping to rule over one thousand matoran...and ended with complete dominance over the entire Matoran Universe! He also cast out the Matoran's only hope mata nui into the unknown universe while he was at it. As for other great villains not mentioned in the forum, the giant shark (Jaws) and Tai Lung (Kung Fu Panda).

superpaper_624_1255384923.jpg

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

^Except this is best MOVIE villains, and within the scope of the three Bionicle movies, Makuta rarely stood out.

69 Days to a Better Body

Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

Miles Completed: 123(+2 Miles) | Today's Time: 1H

8330_s.gif

Exercise time was too bloody hard to fix...forgot to track a few days...sorry.

MOCs: Sah n Dibum - Vehicles Part 1 - Mouldi Pheats - Daleks

Stories: Adventures in the LegoVerse

Interesting Stuff: Shows You're Watching

Frollo from Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. For a Disney movie, this guy was the most dark, twisted character I've seen. There was just something refreshing about seeing a Disney villain so sure of what he's doing is right, while killing multiple people. The fact he never had a goofy sidekick added to his menace, and the fact that he was voiced by Tony Jay...Well, that definitely helped him. If only those darned gargoyles weren't in the film.

Any villain from a Pixar movie. Because when they do actually have a villain they're not just villains, they're still well-rounded characters

Muntz from Up is probably my least favourite Pixar villain. He's a well-rounded character, but I don't really see why he's meant to be evil. Yeah, it's suggested he killed the other explorers, but let's just put that aside for a second. He tries to take Kevin away, but I don't see why that's a bad thing. He has no intention of hurting it, he's not going to eat it or something. He intends to take it back to America to prove its existence. That's not a horribly villainous thing, that's science. Edited by The Wretched Automaton

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

:kaukau:Actually Superbionicle, I mentioned the shark. Although I don't blame you for reading my rather long and disorganized list of honorary mentions. And ManiacToaLaco, thanks for reminding me of the right spelling. Yeah, as far as Disney villains go, I had to mention Malefiscent, Scar, and Frollo as some of the best. Personally, my favorite is Churnabog from Fantasia, but that's a bit obscure and I know that he's not very well known. He just stood out to me as a very genuine representation of ultimate evil, like he could be the king of all villains. Of course, it helps that he was essentially implied to be the devil. If you look at a character like Malefiscent in context, you could assume that as a dark witch she would have sworn an allegiance to the devil. Malefiscent used to be my second-favorite Disney villain, because she was a pretty good representation of a mortal incarnation of evil and just for that line where she tells Prince Phillip that she will stop him with all the powers of "Heck" right before turning into a dragon. Scar was also my third, and he shall always be a personal favorite because he was charismatic and because "Be Prepared" was about as epic as the Imperial March and that part where he's standing on the pedestal is pretty hard core. However, Judge Claude Frollo has been going up the list for me. Perhaps as far as being villainous goes, My top three remain the same, but as far as villains go who I like for just their character in general, Frollo is probably at the top of my list. Both the songs "The Bells of Notre Dame" and "Hellfire" are very powerful and explain him very well. It's no wonder that next to The Lion King, The Hunchback of Notre Dame is my favorite Disney movie. Oh, and how could I forget Snidely Whiplash and all characters based off of him? He's so funny and loveable! I saw a musical called Tied to the Tracks with that archetype thrown in there is it was awesome. I watched Pete's Dragon and the guy based off of the Snidely Whiplash archetype was awesome. He truly has to be one of the greats in villain history. Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

1. Ellen from Leave Her To Heaven (1945)

Say what you will, but for me this character has always been the best definition of pure evil, and Gene Tierney's acting in the role made it even more brilliant. This is a woman who becomes obsessed with love. She kills her husband's brother so he won't still attention away, she kills their own baby, jealous before it's even born. And as her final act of jealousy, she kills herself, and frames her sister for it, knowing that her sister loves her husband, and doing this will keep them apart forever.

2. Professer Elwell from People Will Talk (1951)

Hume Cronyn was phenominal in this role. Is he a superbly brilliant mastermind? No. Is he pure evil bent on total distruction? No. He is far worse than even the most driven of villains. He is a man who hates someone for no reason. Throughout the whole film, Elwell spits poison at the sight or even the name of Dr. Praetorius, and tries to dig up some ugly disgusting truth on him to get him kicked out of the school. Of course, in the end when everything is revealed, Elwell is left looking like a cruel cold-hearted waste of a man, all respect for him gone. A great villain compared to supernatural or supervillain standards? Perhaps not, but he is a rather brilliant and well-made representation of the every day villain most of us deal with, or will sometime in the future.

Shunderson: Professor Elwell, you're a little man. It's not that you're short. You're...little, in the mind and in the heart. Tonight, you tried to make a man little whose boots you couldn't touch if you stood on tiptoe on top of the highest mountain in the world. And as it turned out...you're even littler than you were before.

3. Mickey Finn from Way Out West (1937)

Nothing more than a hilariously simple-minded buffoon, but James Finlayson was a brilliant foil for Laural and Hardy's antics, and it shows strongly in this film. He does have his moments of evil, particularly when he realises that the two men are hiding in the piano, and begins violently playing it. A cute villain from a cute movie. The quote has nothing to do with him, but I like it.

Ollie: Now, compose yourself... smile... that's right... remember... ''every cloud has a silver lining''.Stan: [in an attempt to wax poetic like Ollie] Yes - - any bird can build a nest, but it's not every one that can lay an egg.

Muntz from Up is probably my least favourite Pixar villain. He's a well-rounded character, but I don't really see why he's meant to be evil. Yeah, it's suggested he killed the other explorers, but let's just put that aside for a second. He tries to take Kevin away, but I don't see why that's a bad thing. He has no intention of hurting it, he's not going to eat it or something. He intends to take it back to America to prove its existence. That's not a horribly villainous thing, that's science.

I think the Villainy of this comes in because the bird only seems to come out to gather food for its babies, so by catching it, he is leaving her babies out their to die, and considering how rare this bird is since he apparently spends all his time trying to catch this SAME bird, when in reality he could have seeked out another, since there's obviously a male somewhere out there, his irrational hunger to catch her could very well have led to the birds extinction. As someone who came to fame as an explorer, I think that his addiction to catching this bird leading to its extinction shows how he has become demented enough to have forgotten his original aspirations and dreams. But if that's not good enough, I think he's more or less the most realistic villain in Pixar. He is evil, but not because of his intentions, but because of what lengths he will go to acheive them. He killed previous explorers who obviously had no interest in the bird, and he planned to kill both an old man AND A CHILD when he suspected them of getting in his way as well. He emotionally torments Carl by setting fire to his house, which Muntz KNEW was important to him, and then to top it all off, he decides the bird can be brought back dead, and plans to kill all three, shooting at them with a hunting rifle. AND for an added bonus, all of his dogs would have to be extremely inbred, ill, and full of genetic defects since he'd been living in that cave for DECADES, and obviously wasn't taking a quick flight to the nearest petco to adopt new dogs each time the old ones died. That implies he'd have to be breeding them, and over the course of decades, they'd inevitably be breeding with their own brothers and sisters. So he kills, he kills CHILDREN, he causes emotional torment, he tries to kill an animal he already knows is exceedingly rare for no reason other than greed, and he's shown a level of cruelty towards his dogs parrallelled only by the worst of puppy mills.

69 Days to a Better Body

Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

8330_s.gif

Malevolence, you've just made Up a far more terrifying movie for me.. MTL

Thank you. :biggrin: P.S. I no longer need the approval of my superiors! I'm a big boy now! Edited by Malevolence

69 Days to a Better Body

8330_s.gif

:kaukau:I've noticed a lot of resurgence in Scar's popularity. Could this have anything to do with The Lion King being released in 3D? :P Anyway, I have a list of protagonists who I personally treat like villains. - Curly from Oklahoma! Poor Judd. Curly was merely a pretty face who could sing every once and a while. My school, I guess, picked the right people for the roles of Curly and Laurie, though. The actors were stuck-up choir people who were so into their singing. Curly got Laurie because they were both brainless losers who's sole personality traits were each "Hey look, I can sing! Aren't I cute?" Yeah, Curly, you're cute, but not charming. Did he seriously just sing a song to Judd trying to tempt him to commit suicide? That's not very nice, Curly. Why did they have to make Judd a violent villain in the end? It's kind of tragic that he never had his redeeming moment, even though he was initially set up to be an honorable hard worker.- Edward Cullen. Abusive boyfriend alert!- Jacob Black. We get the idea that he's really, really buff and that he's supposedly really nice and smiley. He still sucks. "Oh, hey, I also happen to be a werewolf, and you have to choose between Edward and me. Have a good day!" The theme of vampires versus werewolves isn't necessarily bad, but in this case it was just part of a very shallow romance that implants false ideals into the heads of teenage girls.Justin Beiber from Never Say Never. The film to those lousy 3D concert movies needs to be burned. It's not that I've seen the films, but I really hate the concept.- Borat. I haven't actually watched the film, but I've seen the trailer and my friends have shown me various clips. Plus people I know quite the film a bit. His personality is a bit vulgar.- Leon from The Professional. That is one sick, twisted movie. I only watched it because I had heard people praise it. While watching it I had to constantly pause the film to works off my extreme discomfort, because the main characters were rather disturbing.- Rorschach. I tend to be a bit more utilitarian in my ethics, so ultimately I sided with Adrian. No one's clearly labeled as the villain, and it's up to the reader to decide who they agree and disagree with, so ultimately one of the heroes has to be a little more wrong at the end of the day when you sit down and think about it. However, I do think that Rorschach is a bit more charismatic and interesting than the other characters.- Lois Lane. Forget Kryptonite, she is Superman's greatest weakness! She likes Superman but she couldn't care less about his real identity. Then in Superman Returns she ratted out on him both as Superman and as Clark Kent. How could Clark fall for such a shallow woman? She's not worthy of him. I so much preferred Lana Land and Chloe Sullivan from Smallville. At least they truly liked Clark for every ounce of who he was. In fact, Chloe practically thought of Clark as Superman when she didn't even know he had powers, and they both had faith in him even when he turned greedy and aggressive due to exposure to Red Kryptonite (not that they knew that, of course). I haven't seen the later seasons with Lois Lane, but I hope that she's not like the movie version and is as good as Lana and Chloe. Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

-The Master, perhaps the greatest recurring villain in the history of Doctor Who. What clinches it for me, apart from his sense of humor, is that he isn't a simple-minded stock villain. Other Who villains - Davros, the Cybermen - were pure evil, bent on some variation of "Destroy everything". The Master was much more complex, and, really, a bit sad. He was driven mad by a signal sent by Rassilon (I'll get back to that later), and the constant sound of drums he heard after that had a strong negative effect on his personality, making him a nigh-unpredictable madman. The end of his story really sums it all up, with the final descent into madness and, at the end, some degree of clarity when he finds out who to blame. -Lord President Rassilon. Really a complicated character who, under the pressure to survive, snapped and nearly destroyed the universe - not out of pure malice, like Davros, but because it was the only way he could see to save the Time Lords from certain death. The best thing about Rassilon as a villain is that you can sympathise with him, with the desperate situation he was put in. It's easy to see him as the villain - he murdered a member of his cabinet for disagreeing with him, was the root cause behind the Master's insanity, and tried to destroy every other living thing - but, at the end of the day, you have to wonder whether you'd be any better than him in his position. -Scar, from the Lion King. Sure, he's a stand-in for Claudius from Hamlet, but he's still one of the most amusing villains ever. Speaking of which... -Claudius, from the 1996 version of Hamlet (directed by Kenneth Branagh). Pretty much exemplifies the character Shakespeare was aiming for - a ruthless, irresponsible, gluttonous man-child with a stolen crown on his head. His death at the end of the movie is also pretty awesome.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Hans Gruber was a very interesting, clever villain. What was cool about him was that he wasn't some simplistic raging psychopath, he was a fairly normal guy who just happened to be a clever thief with a cavalier attitude towards murder.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

The Codified Likeness Utility Version 2.0more commonly known as Tron: Legacy's CLU 2We though the grid was safe, but along comes this guy, one of Flynns own creations. In search of perfection he not only takes over the grid, but almost destroyes our world. How do you stop someone who is smarter and stronger then you in every way? By atomicaly imploding destroying the entire world of coarseA villain who could only be defeated by destroying everything ever is in my books, THEE best movie villain

axonn, trying to excape my signature

Untitled-2.gif

"the Cybermen - were pure evil, bent on some variation of "Destroy everything"."I think that's a very odd view of the cybermen.They were driven to replacing almost every part of their body with mechanical parts because it was the only way they could survive. Eventually, they become cold and emotionallys, being more machine than human, and somehow came to believe that this would be best for all humans. They are not evil, in my book, just a sorry race that suffered and became deluded in believing that what they were was better.Unless you're referring more specifically to the Cybusmen, in which case, I can agree that they definitely are more two-dimensional.Also, not to nitpick, but only The Master appeared in a movie, unless I'm mistaken. I'm sure for a fact that Rassilon never made it into the movie.

69 Days to a Better Body

8330_s.gif

:kaukau:I've noticed a lot of resurgence in Scar's popularity. Could this have anything to do with The Lion King being released in 3D? :P Anyway, I have a list of protagonists who I personally treat like villains. - Curly from Oklahoma! Poor Judd. Curly was merely a pretty face who could sing every once and a while. My school, I guess, picked the right people for the roles of Curly and Laurie, though. The actors were stuck-up choir people who were so into their singing. Curly got Laurie because they were both brainless losers who's sole personality traits were each "Hey look, I can sing! Aren't I cute?" Yeah, Curly, you're cute, but not charming. Did he seriously just sing a song to Judd trying to tempt him to commit suicide? That's not very nice, Curly. Why did they have to make Judd a violent villain in the end? It's kind of tragic that he never had his redeeming moment, even though he was initially set up to be an honorable hard worker.- Edward Cullen. Abusive boyfriend alert!- Jacob Black. We get the idea that he's really, really buff and that he's supposedly really nice and smiley. He still sucks. "Oh, hey, I also happen to be a werewolf, and you have to choose between Edward and me. Have a good day!" The theme of vampires versus werewolves isn't necessarily bad, but in this case it was just part of a very shallow romance that implants false ideals into the heads of teenage girls.Justin Beiber from Never Say Never. The film to those lousy 3D concert movies needs to be burned. It's not that I've seen the films, but I really hate the concept.- Borat. I haven't actually watched the film, but I've seen the trailer and my friends have shown me various clips. Plus people I know quite the film a bit. His personality is a bit vulgar.- Leon from The Professional. That is one sick, twisted movie. I only watched it because I had heard people praise it. While watching it I had to constantly pause the film to works off my extreme discomfort, because the main characters were rather disturbing.- Rorschach. I tend to be a bit more utilitarian in my ethics, so ultimately I sided with Adrian. No one's clearly labeled as the villain, and it's up to the reader to decide who they agree and disagree with, so ultimately one of the heroes has to be a little more wrong at the end of the day when you sit down and think about it. However, I do think that Rorschach is a bit more charismatic and interesting than the other characters.- Lois Lane. Forget Kryptonite, she is Superman's greatest weakness! She likes Superman but she couldn't care less about his real identity. Then in Superman Returns she ratted out on him both as Superman and as Clark Kent. How could Clark fall for such a shallow woman? She's not worthy of him. I so much preferred Lana Land and Chloe Sullivan from Smallville. At least they truly liked Clark for every ounce of who he was. In fact, Chloe practically thought of Clark as Superman when she didn't even know he had powers, and they both had faith in him even when he turned greedy and aggressive due to exposure to Red Kryptonite (not that they knew that, of course). I haven't seen the later seasons with Lois Lane, but I hope that she's not like the movie version and is as good as Lana and Chloe. Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

I actually am kind of impressed with Borat. It takes a lot to do this kind of stuff in front of unsuspecting people.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

"the Cybermen - were pure evil, bent on some variation of "Destroy everything"." I think that's a very odd view of the cybermen. They were driven to replacing almost every part of their body with mechanical parts because it was the only way they could survive. Eventually, they become cold and emotionallys, being more machine than human, and somehow came to believe that this would be best for all humans. They are not evil, in my book, just a sorry race that suffered and became deluded in believing that what they were was better. Unless you're referring more specifically to the Cybusmen, in which case, I can agree that they definitely are more two-dimensional. Also, not to nitpick, but only The Master appeared in a movie, unless I'm mistaken. I'm sure for a fact that Rassilon never made it into the movie.

Rassilon appeared in The End of Time, which I count as a movie. He was only credited as the "Lord President," but the Doctor refers to him as Rassilon. And yeah, the original Cybermen had a bit more depth than the Cybusmen.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I see. I'm not sure I'd count a two-part Holiday special as a movie myself, but alright.

69 Days to a Better Body

8330_s.gif