OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Didn't someone say that most of them voiced on that MLP... thing?

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

That is correct, several of the VAs for the Bionicle movies did voice characters in MLP, ones that I know of include Jaller's VA voicing Shining Armor and Roodaka's VA voicing the villain from the second season finale.

I would need some time to do it, a few minutes to a day at most, but I could set up a chart with all VAs and the various parts that they did before & after, two days if I include pictures.

mnog3d_banner.jpg

biofight042_banner_plasmarun.png

-END OF LINE-

The reason why these voice actors see so much use, I'm pretty sure, is that they're some of the least expensive. That's why their voice acting resume is so wide and varied; if you want to save some cash on voice acting, they're who you go to if you don't want talentless college kids looking for a quick buck.

Well, also that most of them are good at it. In many cases, they have to audition for a role, same as anyone else. And some of those voice actors are veterans of the industry, who have been doing voices for cartoons for decades. Assuming they just get voice acting gigs because they're cheap is extremely unfair to them. Obviously, they're not A-list stars from live action movies, but that's just as well, because live-action acting and voice acting are two very different things, and somebody who is skilled at one might not be skilled at the other.

Voice acting isn't just about having a cool-sounding or memorable voice. It's about being able to act, which means that people with a lot of diverse voiceover experience under their belt are often in high demand. Scott McNeil, who voiced Tahu Nuva, has a great deal of star power in his own right. He's an incredibly popular guest at anime conventions because of how long he's been in the business of anime voiceovers and how many major characters he has voiced over the years. Kathleen Barr, who voiced Gali Nuva and Roodaka, has been involved in voice acting for about as long. If you just want somebody who's affordable, you could do a lot worse.

• Upvote 9

1. Scott McNeil voiced Tahu, Onua and the Overlord in Ninjago.

Tahu and Onua were in Ninjago? :P

Kaihu, Master of Fire. Colenua, Master of Earth. Zanepaka, Master of Ice.

Who is Jay, then? A Lightning Bug? :P

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

Jayriki, master of lighting.

Also of note: 'Mata' evidently means 'kills' in Spanish.  I mean, as long as we're discussing what names mean...

And how do you think Okoto is prounouced?  My money's on 'uh-koe-toe'.

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

Yes they have, but most of the voices they provide are generally for side characters.

Well, the reason for that is obvious. My Little Pony Friendship is Magic has a predominantly female cast, while the BIONICLE movies had a predominantly male cast. So among the main characters there's very little potential for overlap in the voice cast.

That doesn't mean there's not any, though. Tabitha St. Germain, who voiced Toa Nokama in Legends of Metru Nui and Web of Shadows, voices Rarity, one of the main characters of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic (not to mention a host of secondary characters).

In any case, the point stands — lots and lots of the voice actors from the classic BIONICLE movies are still doing cartoon voiceovers to this day, so if the LEGO Group wanted they could easily bring back some of that classic voice talent for the new BIONICLE.

• Upvote 2

Yes they have, but most of the voices they provide are generally for side characters.

Well, the reason for that is obvious. My Little Pony Friendship is Magic has a predominantly female cast, while the BIONICLE movies had a predominantly male cast. So among the main characters there's very little potential for overlap in the voice cast.

That doesn't mean there's not any, though. Tabitha St. Germain, who voiced Toa Nokama in Legends of Metru Nui and Web of Shadows, voices Rarity, one of the main characters of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic (not to mention a host of secondary characters).

In any case, the point stands — lots and lots of the voice actors from the classic BIONICLE movies are still doing cartoon voiceovers to this day, so if the LEGO Group wanted they could easily bring back some of that classic voice talent for the new BIONICLE.

Oh I didn't notice that, well I'm gonna wait a crossover fanfic of Nokama and Rarity.

It's time to move on.

We'll probably find out on Thursday. Even though they probably won't release the cast of this speculated TV show,  we would probably be able to make some educated guesses if we did see some recurring cast members in the trailer that we'll probably see. Even if they completely scrap the old cast, we'll probably get the Dobson brothers as someone.

Let's hope the "rahi villain" (Have we officially seen him yet?) isn't voiced by the Chima people. :wacko:

I love how I sparked a whole page of conversation by an offhand comment I made :D

Edited by Turaga Jack

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

The reason why these voice actors see so much use, I'm pretty sure, is that they're some of the least expensive. That's why their voice acting resume is so wide and varied; if you want to save some cash on voice acting, they're who you go to if you don't want talentless college kids looking for a quick buck.

Well, also that most of them are good at it. In many cases, they have to audition for a role, same as anyone else. And some of those voice actors are veterans of the industry, who have been doing voices for cartoons for decades. Assuming they just get voice acting gigs because they're cheap is extremely unfair to them. Obviously, they're not A-list stars from live action movies, but that's just as well, because live-action acting and voice acting are two very different things, and somebody who is skilled at one might not be skilled at the other.

Voice acting isn't just about having a cool-sounding or memorable voice. It's about being able to act, which means that people with a lot of diverse voiceover experience under their belt are often in high demand. Scott McNeil, who voiced Tahu Nuva, has a great deal of star power in his own right. He's an incredibly popular guest at anime conventions because of how long he's been in the business of anime voiceovers and how many major characters he has voiced over the years. Kathleen Barr, who voiced Gali Nuva and Roodaka, has been involved in voice acting for about as long. If you just want somebody who's affordable, you could do a lot worse.

True, but what prevents us from getting voice actors such as Peter Cullen and Frank Welker? Or Mark Ryan and Leonard Nimoy? 

True, but what prevents us from getting voice actors such as Peter Cullen and Frank Welker? Or Mark Ryan and Leonard Nimoy? 

Nimoy is too expensive? (Why would Spock work on Bionicle?)

Although, there is some precedent (I'm looking at you, Worf) for Star Trek actors coming to work Bionicle, and given the Lego Movie's all-star cast, it's not completely out of the question that we could see more famous people working on this stuff. 

But I would think that such voice talents would be more interested in voicing a Bionicle theatrical film, as opposed to a TV show, given that the former have bigger budgets to pay the bigger actors' bigger commissions. 

• Upvote 1

Honestly the Lego Movie changed everything. Lego has become much bigger than it was before (it was big before but it has solidified it's place in our culture. I often go onto yahoo and take a quick scroll through the news only to find a report on an amazing new MOC or set) and is being watched a lot more closely. I wouldn't be surprised to see bigger voice actors coming in.

Honestly the Lego Movie changed everything. Lego has become much bigger than it was before (it was big before but it has solidified it's place in our culture. I often go onto yahoo and take a quick scroll through the news only to find a report on an amazing new MOC or set) and is being watched a lot more closely. I wouldn't be surprised to see bigger voice actors coming in.

Lego was pretty much part of toy culture before the movie. I don't think the movie made that much of an impact.

Lego was pretty much part of toy culture before the movie. I don't think the movie made that much of an impact.

Sure, everyone remembered Lego as a kid, but the Lego Movie was huge. Previous attempts at movies all ended up strange and not very enjoyable. It managed to connect with all regular day-to-day people who aren't hardcore Lego fans anymore. Sure it was a part of toy culture, but now Lego is especially recognized by the larger world more. The Lego Movie made Lego seem more than just a toy and a much larger interest in the world in general. To say that the Lego Movie didn't make much of an impact is completely backwards. As I've said, this was the first movie that was put into the box office and was boldly run through the social world and managed to hold up, and not just do well, but do really well.

• Upvote 3

I agree that The Lego Movie was a major cultural step forward for Lego, but I'm hesitant to say whether that would benefit Bionicle, which has obviously always been a very separate property to Lego's other ones (constraction figures as opposed to System minifigures being the most obvious difference).

• Upvote 1

I agree that The Lego Movie was a major cultural step forward for Lego, but I'm hesitant to say whether that would benefit Bionicle, which has obviously always been a very separate property to Lego's other ones (constraction figures as opposed to System minifigures being the most obvious difference).

But Bionicle was in the Lego movie.

But Bionicle was in the Lego movie.

For barely a moment. All the movie's imagery and publicity has focused on System minifigures, who are of course the main characters of the movie itself.

• Upvote 1

So... has the hype train gotten faster, or has it slowed down?

I would say it's slowing down, preparing to stop and refuel on the 9th, at which point it shall be filled with magic instead of fuel that shall allow it to rocket into the sky and become a spaceship

I am looking forward to seeing official set images and hoping we'll get a bit more light shined down upon the story for us

• Upvote 3

Nimoy is too expensive? (Why would Spock work on Bionicle?)

Although, there is some precedent (I'm looking at you, Worf) for Star Trek actors coming to work Bionicle, and given the Lego Movie's all-star cast, it's not completely out of the question that we could see more famous people working on this stuff. 

But I would think that such voice talents would be more interested in voicing a Bionicle theatrical film, as opposed to a TV show, given that the former have bigger budgets to pay the bigger actors' bigger commissions. 

Maybe Nimoy is, which is probably why back in Transformers G1 he didn't voice Galvatron in season 3...but Peter Cullen and Frank Welker still do smaller, TV roles as far as I know. Nolan North and Steve Blum would be good ones...and Fred Tatasciore needs to come back. He voiced Tuma and also voiced Nikolai and Dr. Maxis in CoD Zombies.

Well, for starters, it means that the LEGO Group will no longer feel nearly as pressured to keep BIONICLE separate from their other themes on so many levels. When BIONICLE was new, the LEGO Group distanced it from the LEGO brand for a reason — the LEGO brand was suffering and they seemed to think it might be more of a liability than an asset. Have you looked at a Vahki canister lately? Where does the LEGO logo appear on it? Not up top next to the BIONICLE logo, that's for sure. Not even in the center package. It's smushed to the bottom right corner of the package, where you can barely see it from direct front view. Clearly getting prospective buyers to associate BIONICLE with the LEGO brand was not a major concern for The LEGO Group at that time.

Today, that is not likely to be the case. The LEGO brand has been growing stronger and stronger for years, with The LEGO Movie being the driving force that finally pushed them ahead of every other toy manufacturer in the world. Clearly the brand is no longer something perceived as shamefully old-fashioned or childish. And we can already see that impacting the new BIONICLE theme. What do you see when you visit the LEGO Bionicle Facebook page? Well, first of all, it's called "LEGO Bionicle", something that the LEGO brand standards used to argue against (in most cases, BIONICLE was just supposed to be referred to as BIONICLE, with no LEGO logo or word mark in front). Additionally, its current profile picture shows the LEGO logo above the BIONICLE logo and larger than it, two other things that went against the old BIONICLE brand standards. Clearly, the LEGO Group is no longer interested in divorcing themselves from one of their most successful brands, nor should they have to for any reason.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 4

When BIONICLE was new, the LEGO Group distanced it from the LEGO brand for a reason — the LEGO brand was suffering and they seemed to think it might be more of a liability than an asset.

I think we can probably agree that Bionicle with its often dark imagery, complex story and menacing enemies was aimed at an older age group than that of the smiling yellow-faced minifigures Lego are typically known for. The minimisation of the Lego logo was clearly an attempt at making people view the more serious line more seriously.

This must've worked, as I've spoken to non-fans who were surprised to learn Bionicle belonged to Lego at all.

Have you looked at a Vahki canister lately?

Yes, there's nothing I enjoy doing more. :P

Where does the LEGO logo appear on it? Not up top next to the BIONICLE logo, that's for sure. Not even in the center package. It's smushed to the bottom right corner of the package, where you can barely see it from direct front view.

I also have a poster on which the tiny logo languishes at the very bottom. A stray Krana takes up more space!

Well, first of all, it's called "LEGO Bionicle", something that the LEGO brand standards used to argue against (in most cases, BIONICLE was just supposed to be referred to as BIONICLE, with no LEGO logo or word mark in front). Additionally, its current profile picture shows the LEGO logo above the BIONICLE logo and larger than it, two other things that went against the old BIONICLE brand standards.

It'll be interesting to see if 'LEGO BIONICLE' is used in all media when the line fully returns.

I like that. I just hate the silver ones used in the Midak Skyblaster.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I never hated the zamor spheres. They were pretty darn useful. Only thing I didn't like about them is how easy they were to lose (which is the case with most Lego ammo, but this one rolls which makes them even harder to get back) and how they didn't feel very cool/original. They were just spheres...

When BIONICLE was new, the LEGO Group distanced it from the LEGO brand for a reason — the LEGO brand was suffering and they seemed to think it might be more of a liability than an asset.

I think we can probably agree that Bionicle with its often dark imagery, complex story and menacing enemies was aimed at an older age group than that of the smiling yellow-faced minifigures Lego are typically known for. The minimisation of the Lego logo was clearly an attempt at making people view the more serious line more seriously.

This must've worked, as I've spoken to non-fans who were surprised to learn Bionicle belonged to Lego at all.

I'd almost go so far as to say that it worked too well. Remember how the first wave of Hero Factory sets had a little tag saying "From the creators of BIONICLE characters"? I think part of the reason that tag was used was to help people who fit into that group you mention — people who didn't even make the mental connection between BIONICLE and the LEGO Group — recognize that yes, this was by the same creators, and not just some knock-off. While BIONICLE had the strength to support itself, it arguably didn't need people to associate it with the LEGO brand, but in the end the LEGO Group might have been able to turn more of BIONICLE's support base into a support base for their other products if more people had been able to make that association. Instead, in 2010, some people could have been more likely to think of LEGO as the company that killed BIONICLE than as the company that created it in the first place.

Furthermore, sidestepping that stereotype that LEGO is old-fashioned or childish probably didn't help them to overcome it in the long run. Unless people started to realize "hold on, this radical, innovative toy is actually a LEGO product!", then it wouldn't help at all to convince them that LEGO toys COULD be radical or innovative. They'd just continue to think of LEGO in childish terms.

And finally, it's worth noting that a lot of the advertising for BIONICLE was done through general LEGO channels. Most obviously, the BIONICLE comic has always been published in the LEGO Club magazine. If people didn't think of it as a property created by LEGO, they wouldn't have nearly the same incentive to subscribe to LEGO Club Magazine as a Ninjago or Exo-Force fan would! And so a prime opportunity to market not only BIONICLE but also other LEGO themes to them would be wasted.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

Bionicle was, in part at least, aimed at a fairly specific demographic: kids who felt they were too "mature" for Lego. This was a blessing and a curse—for a while, it helped to ensure that kids "growing out" of Lego would continue to buy Lego products. But of course, that was rarely more than a temporary measure, and when many of those same kids "grew out" of Bionicle, they continued to think of traditional Lego as even more kiddy (despite the most complex System and Technic sets often being aimed at builders OLDER than Bionicle's 8–16 demographic).

The "smiling yellow-faced minifigures" have a much broader appeal than Bionicle did, appealing to both kids and kids at heart. Bionicle's darker and edgier turns, on the other hand, had a nasty habit of feeding into the superiority complex that made kids "grow out" of Lego in the first place. But Lego's media success outside of Bionicle has made being a Lego fan less of a stigma, so hopefully Lego doesn't need to market the new theme to such a moody and volatile demographic this time around.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Remember how the first wave of Hero Factory sets had a little tag saying "From the creators of BIONICLE characters"? I think part of the reason that tag was used was to help people who fit into that group you mention — people who didn't even make the mental connection between BIONICLE and the LEGO Group — recognize that yes, this was by the same creators, and not just some knock-off.

True, and I also think they wanted Hero Factory to be seen as some kind of follow-up (even if the two lines don't have much in common at all).

Furthermore, sidestepping that stereotype that LEGO is old-fashioned or childish probably didn't help them to overcome it in the long run. Unless people started to realize "hold on, this radical, innovative toy is actually a LEGO product!", then it wouldn't help at all to convince them that LEGO toys COULD be radical or innovative. They'd just continue to think of LEGO in childish terms.

With the poor sales of System sets in the late 90s and the introduction of Slizers, Bionicle and Galidor just after, I suspect there may have been plans to abandon conventional System sets and focus entirely on constraction and heavily story-driven themes. That might've included minimising or even abandoning the classic Lego logo. But given that Galidor was a disaster and that sales of System sets did slowly recover, thankfully they didn't have to go that far.

And finally, it's worth noting that a lot of the advertising for BIONICLE was done through general LEGO channels. Most obviously, the BIONICLE comic has always been published in the LEGO Club magazine. If people didn't think of it as a property created by LEGO, they wouldn't have nearly the same incentive to subscribe to LEGO Club Magazine as a Ninjago or Exo-Force fan would!

I did find Bionicle through the Lego Magazine, but then I was a Lego and constraction fan already and so hardly needed to be 'won over'.

Edited by Sir Kohran

I think they tried to end the brand divorce in 2009 with the MLN Bionicle campaign. That's what started to tell me that Lego wasn't a foreign country to Bionicle. 

2009 and 2010 Bionicle wallpapers had the Lego logo prominently displayed. (much to my annoyance at the time...) 

I must admit one thing I'm worrying about is if they use Chinese plastic, it just looks and feels poorly made.

Why would they? They almost never use Chinese-made parts for constraction sets.

Furthermore, a lot of the times they DO use Chinese-made parts in regular LEGO sets, it's hardly noticeable at all.

• Upvote 3

I must admit one thing I'm worrying about is if they use Chinese plastic, it just looks and feels poorly made.

Furthermore, a lot of the times they DO use Chinese-made parts in regular LEGO sets, it's hardly noticeable at all.

well I beg to differ, for example look at wonder woman's legs, the flesh tone appears to be darker then on her arms and the white parts of her boots look like stickers. 

It's time to move on.

well I beg to differ, for example look at wonder woman's legs, the flesh tone appears to be darker then on her arms and the white parts of her boots look like stickers.

Print color not matching plastic color perfectly is not strictly a Chinese problem. It's something that occurs with lots of printed parts from all over the world. Besides that, I'm not talking about print quality, I'm talking about plastic quality, which is what you brought up in the first place.
  • Upvote 2

Print color not matching plastic color perfectly is not strictly a Chinese problem. It's something that occurs with lots of printed parts from all over the world. Besides that, I'm not talking about print quality, I'm talking about plastic quality, which is what you brought up in the first place.

Well you could argue that but again I find scratches much more often on Chinese pieces, and regarding the plastic quality I've had a number of times where the Chinese pieces have cracked on me. The best example I can give is the ninjago skeleton arms, I believe(correct me if I'm wrong)that all the skeleton arms were produced in China, as of today nearly all of my skeleton arms have cracks in them. Compare that to the lego Castle skeletons, I've had them since 2008 and their arms and legs are fine(although that is assuming they were produced in Europe). Maybe I have just had bad experiences with these certain pieces and maybe they are fine as long as you treat them right, but I'm still afraid of what might happen if lego introduce Chinese elements into the new bionicle(and whatever comes after that).

It's time to move on.