OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

And how do you know this? What proof do you have? For all we know, it is in the story and just hasn't been mentioned yet. EP wasn't mentioned in G1's very first year, now was it? Pretty sure it wasn't introduced until 2002.

Technically speaking, yes. But at the time, there was no distinction made between it and 'regular' protodermis. Protodermis was treated as a singular material until, if memory serves, somewhere in 2004-06.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

I found this while google searching Bionicle. It links to the official website, and I'm not sure if it is a typo...

screen_shot_2014-12-05_at_12.03.02_pm.pn

I also found this and made a topic about it exactly 17 minutes after you posted it.

I think that might be the old 2001 description. Is it?

Yeah, but I found it today. Why would a description from nearly fourteen years ago pop up?

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

Yeah, but I found it today. Why would a description from nearly fourteen years ago pop up?

Could be an error on Lego's part or even on Google's. One of them could have saved the old description somewhere...and then when the domain came back, they went to the first dated entry in the database for the description. 

Could be an error on Lego's part or even on Google's. One of them could have saved the old description somewhere...and then when the domain came back, they went to the first dated entry in the database for the description. 

I believe the 2001-era description of bionicle.com remained long after 2001, even to this day it seems.

One of the worst aspects of the original line was the constantly changing main characters. Hated hated hated that. I don't want to see new Toa every three years. To me, that seems like the worst possible outcome.

That was one of the best aspects....

So I guess you would want us to stick to the same old Toa we have seen since 2001, and you don't want any 'new Okoto' Toa (if those exist)... 

Yes, I would indeed absolutely want us to stick to the same Toa the entire time. Like I said, I fully and firmly believe that the changing cast was one of the biggest problems from the original line.

The idea that changing the main cast itself over and over is the only way to prolong a toy or media property is odd. Sure, many children's action shows change characters (new Power Rangers nearly every season, now), but others don't. I'm not opposed to new characters showing up, but unless there's an actual end to the character and mythological arc of these Toa, I absolutely definitively DO NOT WANT to see new characters take the spotlight as the main characters.

Sure, let's have Tahu 2.0, Tahu 3.0, Tahu 4.0, Tahu XL, Tahu 5.0 etc..... 

Glad energized protodermis was mentioned. I wonder if we'll see it in the new story...or fusions in general for that matter. I'm positive we'll see transformations, but how they'll handled is what's going to be interesting, especially if EP isn't present.

There won't be energized protodermis.

And how do you know this? What proof do you have? For all we know, it is in the story and just hasn't been mentioned yet. EP wasn't mentioned in G1's very first year, now was it? Pretty sure it wasn't introduced until 2002.

Yeah, I hate when they use a system to denote upgrades. What if they even go as far as to make up a garbage word, like "Nuva"?

I wouldn't mind if the Toa had a few transformations, but I don't want them recycled EVERY year. 

Releasing the same characters every year is good for business. When people have a character they recognize and love, they are more likely to want to buy future toys of that character. See: the vast plethora of Optimus Prime toys.

See: The vast plethora of Bumblebee toys. People are growing sick of Bumblebee and wish he would go away for a while.

So true. Bumblebee is being shoved down our throats, and I'm tired of it.

Recently they even went so far as to make Bumblebee the leader of the Autobots. wat.

bzpower selfmoc smiley.gif

One of the worst aspects of the original line was the constantly changing main characters. Hated hated hated that. I don't want to see new Toa every three years. To me, that seems like the worst possible outcome.

That was one of the best aspects....

So I guess you would want us to stick to the same old Toa we have seen since 2001, and you don't want any 'new Okoto' Toa (if those exist)... 

Yes, I would indeed absolutely want us to stick to the same Toa the entire time. Like I said, I fully and firmly believe that the changing cast was one of the biggest problems from the original line.

The idea that changing the main cast itself over and over is the only way to prolong a toy or media property is odd. Sure, many children's action shows change characters (new Power Rangers nearly every season, now), but others don't. I'm not opposed to new characters showing up, but unless there's an actual end to the character and mythological arc of these Toa, I absolutely definitively DO NOT WANT to see new characters take the spotlight as the main characters.

Glad energized protodermis was mentioned. I wonder if we'll see it in the new story...or fusions in general for that matter. I'm positive we'll see transformations, but how they'll handled is what's going to be interesting, especially if EP isn't present.

There won't be energized protodermis.

Yeah, I hate when they use a system to denote upgrades. What if they even go as far as to make up a garbage word, like "Nuva"?

I wouldn't mind if the Toa had a few transformations, but I don't want them recycled EVERY year. 

Releasing the same characters every year is good for business. When people have a character they recognize and love, they are more likely to want to buy future toys of that character. See: the vast plethora of Optimus Prime toys.

See: The vast plethora of Bumblebee toys. People are growing sick of Bumblebee and wish he would go away for a while.

So true. Bumblebee is being shoved down our throats, and I'm tired of it.

Recently they even went so far as to make Bumblebee the leader of the Autobots. wat.

All hail bumblebee and very large quoteboxes!

• Upvote 1

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

Concerning (Energised) Protodermis: as Proto ≈ Primitive, Dermis ≈ Skin; I doubt we will see it called that unless we get more Giant Robots, although in fairness it could be the name of a the material Toa are made of (partially), like the name of it was a hint... [so would be somewhat odd, then again a reference doesn't need to be more than that.]

Although I wouldn't be overly surprised if we (a) magic(al substance) that transforms things again ;)

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

Concerning (Energised) Protodermis: as Proto ≈ Primitive, Dermis ≈ Skin; I doubt we will see it called that unless we get more Giant Robots, although in fairness it could be the name of a the material Toa are made of (partially), like the name of it was a hint... [so would be somewhat odd, then again a reference doesn't need to be more than that.]

Although I wouldn't be overly surprised if we (a) magic(al substance) that transforms things again ;)

I was summond by the topic of protodermis.

I'd love to see the name used again, it's a fun fantasy metal and a good descriptor on the silver-metallic weapon pieces. (protodermic armor, protodermic blade, etc.)

but what i hope they do is learn to keep track of what properties they're making this thing have. i can suspend belief, but i can't make it fly. :t

• Upvote 2

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Hey everyone! Today, I just received my order during Black Friday weekend from LEGO Shop@Home. With it, free in the box, was a BIONICLE 2015 promotional poster. It's a much smaller version of the one given away at NYCC, with the picture of the battle for the Mask of Creation on one side, and the same short blurb (Otoko misspelling and all) on the back. Has anyone else gotten this? I'm very happy to have it!

"We didn't lose the battle. Today, we just lost the fight." -Lloyd Garmadon
ninjago-green-ninja.jpg
Avid collector of LEGO for many, many years. Feel free to private message me, or email me at greenninjaatcp@gmail.com, and I'll be happy to help. A ninja never quits!

Visit the Mixels Wiki! http://www.mixels.wikia.com

Hey everyone! Today, I just received my order during Black Friday weekend from LEGO Shop@Home. With it, free in the box, was a BIONICLE 2015 promotional poster. It's a much smaller version of the one given away at NYCC, with the picture of the battle for the Mask of Creation on one side, and the same short blurb (Otoko misspelling and all) on the back. Has anyone else gotten this? I'm very happy to have it!

Well the one given out at NYCC was the size of a card basically

Just because protodermis was connected to the old universe in both name and purpose, it doesn't mean the concept can't be revisited. I personally doubt it, and wouldn't really care to see it. It was nice while it lasted but eventually it got so ridiculous that I started hating it (mostly because of it's trying to give a logical explanation to things like elemental powers and why the MU could sustain itself. Those were needless and story crowding details to me). It could still be a thing or get a reference, but it wouldn't do much for B15

• Upvote 1

Just because protodermis was connected to the old universe in both name and purpose, it doesn't mean the concept can't be revisited. I personally doubt it, and wouldn't really care to see it. It was nice while it lasted but eventually it got so ridiculous that I started hating it (mostly because of it's trying to give a logical explanation to things like elemental powers and why the MU could sustain itself. Those were needless and story crowding details to me). It could still be a thing or get a reference, but it wouldn't do much for B15

Think it was a good explanation for many things back in G1. But the things that really confused me was the fact that it originated inside of a PLANET, and there were entire oceans of the stuff.

As for G2, I hope it makes some sort of appearance, at least for armor and stuff if not for energy/power purposes. 

Nightmare+fuel+dwight+so+i+found+this+gi

I wouldn't mind repeated character-upgrades if the designs are continually fresh. The challenge for LEGO is to hit the balance between familiarity and novelty. If the designs are too different from their predecessors, then some fans will complain about the lack of visual consistency. If the designs are too similar, then one winds up with a Brain Attack situation, in which, in my opinion, the designs are for the most part uninspired and undesirable.

Personally, I'd like to see Toa of more exotic elements eventually. Given the coloring of Hero Factory characters such as Bulk, Stringer, and Evo I could see it happening. 

• Upvote 1

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Oh, really? That's the one!

Thats cool that they are advertising Bionicle when you make an order haha. Its a really nice looking card :)

The fact that there have been so many misspellings really doesn't vouch for Lego's interest in the reboot....

• Upvote 2

hTeXGIU.png

The fact that there have been so many misspellings really doesn't vouch for Lego's interest in the reboot....

Come on, we aren't talking about a Borg-like collective here, we're talking about a myriad of individuals employed by the same company.

Perhaps those typing up the promotional material don't care (or simply aren't good spellers, or typists) but that doesn't mean that everyone at LEGO doesn't care.

• Upvote 9

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Come on, we aren't talking about a Borg-like collective here, we're talking about a myriad of individuals employed by the same company.

Perhaps those typing up the promotional material don't care (or simply aren't good spellers, or typists) but that doesn't mean that everyone at LEGO doesn't care.

I suppose, perhaps it's because English is not their native language. I never considered that.

• Upvote 2

hTeXGIU.png

I too would love Protodermis to return in some capacity. Maybe even one of the variations like Protosteel, I really liked that one. It was like Bionicle's adamantium. 

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

Something I was just wondering about. A lot of people have noticed discrepancies between the mask names of Lewa and the Protector of Jungle and the mask names of the other Toa and Protectors. Instead of "Mask of {Element}", "Golden Mask of {Element}", and "Protector Mask of {Element}", these masks are called "Jungle Mask", "Golden Jungle Mask", and "Protector Jungle Mask".

It's easy to dismiss these differences as errors, but the fact that this discrepancy affects all of the Jungle-related masks but not any masks of other elements leads me to wonder... do you think these names might be glimpses of a new version of treespeak?

• Upvote 7

Something I was just wondering about. A lot of people have noticed discrepancies between the mask names of Lewa and the Protector of Jungle and the mask names of the other Toa and Protectors. Instead of "Mask of {Element}", "Golden Mask of {Element}", and "Protector Mask of {Element}", these masks are called "Jungle Mask", "Golden Jungle Mask", and "Protector Jungle Mask".

It's easy to dismiss these differences as errors, but the fact that this discrepancy affects all of the Jungle-related masks but not any masks of other elements leads me to wonder... do you think these names might be glimpses of a new version of treespeak?

Nice catch, I didn't even notice that. :P

Hail Denmark

Hmmm not particularly. Tree speak is a way of speaking, but there's no use in using it outside of the way a Le/Jungle character speaks. There's little use of using tree speak in a bio in my eyes.

I could be wrong though. The Minifigures bios online often reflect their personalities and such, but I simply don't see it happening for these considering the bios don't really reflect much of the other toa's personalities in their style. They're more informative than anything.

I'd say the Jungle thing comes from the fact that if the elemental channeling is any similar as it was in G1, it has a problem:

The other elements can be "shot" from their respective Masters' hands/weapons. You can channel Fire, Water, Ice etc. but channelling Jungle as a pure elemental stream would be pretty awkward/interesting. The Masks may be the ones giving the Masters their control over an element after all. As the "element" of Jungle consists of both plants and air, the Jungle Mask sounds better than Mask of Plants and Air.

It sounds odd and I can't really explain it well, but I hope someone gets the idea.

TL;DR

Mask of Fire = user controls Fire

Mask of Jungle = user controls Jungle, but how?

Edited by Rider Of Spiders
  • Upvote 1

"Onua gazes upon the Earth and sees riches. It is our Duty to dig, and our Destiny to find them"

- Aiyetoro

I'd say the Jungle thing comes from the fact that if the elemental channeling is any similar as it was in G1, it has a problem:

The other elements can be "shot" from their respective Masters' hands/weapons. You can channel Fire, Water, Ice etc. but channelling Jungle as a pure elemental stream would be pretty awkward/interesting. The Masks may be the ones giving the Masters their control over an element after all. As the "element" of Jungle consists of both plants and air, the Jungle Mask sounds better than Mask of Plants and Air.

It sounds odd and I can't really explain it well, but I hope someone gets the idea.

TL;DR

Mask of Fire = user controls Fire

Mask of Jungle = user controls Jungle, but how?

Look at Pokemon.

Edited by bioniclepluslotr
  • Upvote 2

Look at Pokemon.

Pokemon isn't a very good comparison. Its "types" are less "elements" and more like "descriptors". For example, Kingdra is a powerful seahorse. It is water-based, and dragon-based. Therefore, it's Water/Dragon.

Bionicle's Elements are far more in line with things like the classic elements of Water, Fire, Air, and Earth, in that they're supposed to be fundamental building blocks. Now, obviously, the classic elements are discredited scientifically, but the idea of it lives on.

Look at Pokemon.

Pokemon isn't a very good comparison. Its "types" are less "elements" and more like "descriptors". For example, Kingdra is a powerful seahorse. It is water-based, and dragon-based. Therefore, it's Water/Dragon.

Bionicle's Elements are far more in line with things like the classic elements of Water, Fire, Air, and Earth, in that they're supposed to be fundamental building blocks. Now, obviously, the classic elements are discredited scientifically, but the idea of it lives on.

Even still; we've seen Toa channel '(pure) Elemental Energy', which is just a beam of the associated colour etc. So... I don't see why that can't be done with Jungle; green beam of nature, or just have vines or come out, or maybe certain Elements aren't generated so much as manipulating what's already there most of the time...

Even still i have no issues with someone clasping their hands together and; green light, small seed, grows rapidly in mid air etc.

Honestly the only thing that really bothers me about it is the name, but I don't think it was that bad; I still think I know what they're on about.

Oh & Air/Wind does seem to be mixed in still, so it should be fine. (fills in some roles that might look more awkward to some)

• Upvote 4

~ Sophistry: A way to be antidisuncorrect. ~

In a decade you might convince maybe a small tribe of people.

In a decade you might also conquer one million km2 of land,

& in over a thousand years you might have over a billion followers.

I like building things. Please don't break the big ones.

& evidential philosophies that dare to extrapolate beyond

an individual's direct experience aren't easily built.

I must admit that I do not find it likely, but I would nonetheless love the idea to be true.

The masks will probably be named in one of the videos next year, so I'm very curious to see if the discrepancy - which is very curious - persists there. It's rather trivial, but just the way it pervades everything Jungle rather sticks out and does leave me desiring some explanation. Even if it's as simple as the same proposed explanation for the numerous grammatical and spelling errors on the site: work being done by a non-native English speaker accidentally making mistakes, and perhaps now a translation one as well?

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Has anyone started seeing the new Bonkles actually show up in stores? Before I make it known that's what people can get me for Christmas I want to make sure there's a tangible retailer to buy them from. :P

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

Has anyone started seeing the new Bonkles actually show up in stores? Before I make it known that's what people can get me for Christmas I want to make sure there's a tangible retailer to buy them from. :P

It's unfortunately very unlikely they'll be able to.

I definitely expect some stores (particularly TRU in the US) to put things out early. But only by maybe a week or two, which would be a tad too late. No retailer anywhere has been reported as having done so yet.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

I found this while google searching Bionicle. It links to the official website, and I'm not sure if it is a typo...

screen_shot_2014-12-05_at_12.03.02_pm.pn

I also found this and made a topic about it exactly 17 minutes after you posted it.

I think that might be the old 2001 description. Is it?

Haven't they used this every year? Granted all they have to change is the island part.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg

Look at Pokemon.

Even still; we've seen Toa channel '(pure) Elemental Energy', which is just a beam of the associated colour etc. So... I don't see why that can't be done with Jungle; green beam of nature, or just have vines or come out, or maybe certain Elements aren't generated so much as manipulating what's already there most of the time...

Even still i have no issues with someone clasping their hands together and; green light, small seed, grows rapidly in mid air etc.

Honestly the only thing that really bothers me about it is the name, but I don't think it was that bad; I still think I know what they're on about.

Oh & Air/Wind does seem to be mixed in still, so it should be fine. (fills in some roles that might look more awkward to some)

Toa of the Green exist you know.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

Eh em.

Turaga Dume had rallied Lesovikk's group, although not before Nuju had been pulled into the Archives by plantlife gone wild. - "Dark Mirror"

Oh, and don't you mean, the Green?

Edited by Boidoh

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh