Favorite Movie You Have Seen That Was Made In The Past Year Or So.

Larnuu

I personally think that most of movie story telling has gone down hill in the past years however, "Inception" at number 1 and then "Tron Legacy" at number 2. Now "Inception" was a cool concept that actually kinda happend to me before, but I'll get that later. The concept is as simple as a dream in a dream, i can't give details of the story because it's too hard to explain (it's better if you just watch it) but it's a mind bending, action thriller that's one huge puzzle. Now for the Inception experience i had as a kid BEFORE the movie came out, well i just kept on trying to wake up but each time i woke up i was in the same dream starting all over again in the same was. After 5 tries i finally woke up. "Tron Legacy" second because it was SO much better then the origonal and probly the best video game baced flick of all time.It's not too complex of a plot and story but it's cool and haas some unexpected plot twist none the lest, If your a gamer, check it out but you have to watch the origonal (witch is less video game like) to understand this movie 'cause it's a sequel.

naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gifNacuu's Slow Dance!!naccu_dancing_gif_by_larnuu-d51e6u5.gif

>TRON Legacy>Better than original Kids these days. Anyway, I really enjoyed Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is still one of my favorite movies of all time. It's beautiful. It really came out ~14 months ago or so, but I haven't really seen many movies lately. The last I saw in theaters was Dolphin Tale and I'll be darned if I liked it that much.

AXKP5KC.png

>TRON Legacy>Better than original Kids these days. Anyway, I really enjoyed Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.

TRON Legacy was better than the original mainly because it was actually a video game movie. The entire thing from the story and the music to the designs were great, I'm so happy my dad's old teacher Syd Mead, who designed the vehicles designs for the original TRON, also worked on the new designs. I didn't really like Scott Pilgrim that much. All the special effects were very simple and cheesy for a big budget production, and Michael Cera didn't fit Scott Pilgrim's personality or looks at all. Not to mention the story was pretty flat. I could've made that movie for less than 20 million dollars and have made a much better film. Anyway, Toy Story 3 was one of my favorites. I've been waiting ever since they confirmed it at the end of Toy Story 2, and I was not disappointed. It's just like Pixar to wait until the actor of the original Andy literally grew up before they went ahead and made it. Edited by Gorag

6244916474_c93fd6d552.jpg

6251674125_b0dbed809a.jpg

6252203236_c35c6ab8f3.jpg

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. I expected it to follow the previous pattern: DMC was worse than CotBP, and AWE was worse than DMC. Fortunately, it was actually better than all but CotBP! I think the absence of Bloom and Knightley's often wooden acting may have been a plus.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

:kaukau:If The Lion King 3D counts, I'd throw my entire weight behind it. If it's good enough to be rereleased and be successful the second time around, then it must be pretty good. The Lion King is an epic film and a perfect movie-going experience. To me, it captures what the cinema is all about. Barring that, however... My favorite was Rise of the Planet of the Apes, since I am a fan of the franchise and this was a brilliant reimagining of it. Caesar was one cool monkey. It was one of those films that you had to have seen in the theater at least once t truly get "the experience", since it was one of those cinematic films. The Deathly Hallows Part 2 comes in second, because it was one of the few Harry Potter films that captured the big screen experience with ease. Of course, that was because it had that kind of confidence that epic films need to lend themselves. Although I really liked Captain America for the main character, Inception comes in third because it did include all the elements that a classic action films should have. It had a lot of things going on at once and every single bit of action made a difference. As far as plotting went, this was a brilliantly constructed film, reminding me somewhat of The Sting, which is a huge compliment. If we're talking about slightly more than a year, then my hat goes to Toy Story 3. My sisters apparently saw the advertisement in the theaters and then told me after I was done watching Star Trek. And you know, of course, I was in awe. Absolute awe. And I knew that it would be good. Exceptional. There was nothing much left to add. It was just one of those moments where once I saw the add for myself the next time I was in the theaters, the trailer on its own was very powerful and I was filled with such a positive energy. It's kind of like what I'd imagine the impression that the Lion King advertisements gave people. "Yep, I'm going to see that". We all knew it was going to be an experience, and we all knew that it was going to be one of those moments we would all remember in movie history. The actual process of finding out was also interesting. I had always wondered and always hoped, although after a while it went to the back of my mind. Learning that they were finally going to do it wasn't a surprise, but it was a big moment. I felt like an official chapter in my movie-going life had come to an end and another one had began. Somehow it didn't feel like it was forced, but that it was the most natural thing in the world to have a Toy Story 3. I felt like I could go on some forums and ramble on about these feelings in a topic entitled "Favorite Movie You Have Seen That Was Made In the Last Year Or So". But yeah, life is more complete now that I have seen that film. Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh Edited by Emperor Kraggh

Rango. Doesn't exactly hurt that it's the only recently made movie I've seen, or that it contains a lovely reference to Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, which is one of the best books I've read.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Some of mine have been mentioned already, so I'll just be the first who says Sucker Punch, Fast & Furious 5 and the Dutch horror flick Sint.

Edited by Valenti

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Of the films that have been released to theaters within the last 365 days (assuming you weren't limiting us to the year 2011) I would have to chose between these films: True Grit - Not the most ambitious film ever made, but I liked it. Good performances, beautiful music, and a solid story made it very much worth the watch. I'm also a sucker for westerns, which might be part of it. Take Shelter - It's a pretty slow moving film, and I can easily see audiences being divided over it. But the acting is superb and the film blends its horror and drama elements very well. It's not a horror film, but still manages to impart a mild feeling of anxiety. Super 8 - I don't have much to say about this one. It might have some flaws that can be argued, but it was a fun watch. I haven't seen very many movies this year (Not sure how I managed to miss Source Code). I did manage to catch The Lion King in its rerelease, but that doesn't really count since it came out about 15-17 years ago.

BZPRPG

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - Part II. It definitely was one of the most suspenseful movies of the year. However, I didn't like the fact that we lost the feeling of desperation and sadness the book had. In the beginning of the movie, things are really quite dark and hopeless, but the movie kind of lost that quality to it. However, I really love the movie and I will always love the Harry Potter books and appreciate the influence the books had on me.

tumblr_n3nqpzvUrQ1qlzuomo1_500.gif

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. It was pretty good, although I, personally, think the first part was better. Nonetheless, it was an entertaining movie - my favorite part was when Neville is being chased on the bridge. That's running for your life. :PI've been wanting to see On Stranger Tides, but I'll wait for it on DVD or something.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

The Last StationIt's two years old, I know, but it's SO RARE that a good movie even exists in the past 20 years, let alone the past year or so. Helen Mirren and Christopher Plummer (One of the best actors out there) were terrific, the script was really beautiful, and it was a wonderfully touching movie, in spite of a rather "Why was that even in this movie" scene....I'm actually not sure I've even SEEN any movies released this year yet... I honestly stopped keeping track of them years ago.

69 Days to a Better Body

Days left: 45 | Days completed: 24 | Yesterday: Shoulder's & Glutes - Today's: Triceps - Tomorrow's: Biceps

Miles Completed: 123(+2 Miles) | Today's Time: 1H

8330_s.gif

Exercise time was too bloody hard to fix...forgot to track a few days...sorry.

MOCs: Sah n Dibum - Vehicles Part 1 - Mouldi Pheats - Daleks

Stories: Adventures in the LegoVerse

Interesting Stuff: Shows You're Watching

Honestly guys, I rather disliked Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.The epic battle with Voldemort was dumbed down so much it sucks.Best movie I've seen that was made in the past year or so... oh god, so difficult...... City of Ember. Well, it was made in 2008, so it's not awfully too far back. It's quite possibly the best movie I've seen that was made in this whole decade.-Dovydas

Hetalia: Paint it White!The animation was awesome, and it was funny even without the dubbed actors! I can't stop thinking, "It's raining men!" during the plane scene, but oh well! I can't wait for the dub to come out!

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

to catch them is my real test

to train them is my cause

After seeing it last night, I'm going to have to add Transformers: Dark of the Moon to my list. ^_^

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

:kaukau:I actually really liked the fight between Harry and Voldemort because I was hoping that the ked better for the cinematic medium. I was hoping for something a little more prolongated with a bit more complexity, and I'm glad that he and Voldemort didn't circle around and around talking and talking while onlookers were watching and watching. There was still some talking, though, and I think that they found a balance. My only regret for the film was that I hoped to see more of the battle of Hogwarts beyond just what was going on with the main characters. Specifically, I was hoping for just one additional half minute of action dedicated to the animated knights of Hogwarts.I also liked TRON: Legacy and looked foreward to it like Ralphy looked forward to his Red Ryder BB gun. It's not in my top three out of the films released within the last year, but it's still one of my favorites and I loved it like a fanboy. Some people are watching it over Netflix during a study hall in a dark room. I can see into that room because there's a window in between that room and a class I have at the same time. I've been finding it very hard to concentrate on my class because I realy, really want to join those guys in watching the movie, because it's so cool.Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh

:kaukau:Well, like I said, that works in the book, but not so well in the cinematic medium. Besides, I'm not a person who wants to see the movie be exactly like the book because the movie should be something new and different. It wasn't just a repeat of what I had already read in the books, although I feel that it still hit the same fundamental notes.By the way, thanks to Valenti here I was able to bring up Sint in my Dutch class when we were discussing Dutch movies. I haven't seen the movie, although I really want to.Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh Edited by Emperor Kraggh

• 4 weeks later...

Thor. #1 BIG TIMETron: LegacyNow, if Dumb And Dumber Came out THIS year, instead of '95, I would still love it.Toy Story 3 was good too. I saw it when it came out in theaters with the 1st and 2nd part special. Green Lantern was O.K.Smurfs was good.Also, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen was pretty good. I wasn't able to see it when it came out in theaters, or when it came on DVD. So a few months ago, my mom FINALLY let me watch it.Cars 2.Megamind.Star Wars III. I saw it a little over a year after it came out, but it was still pretty good.

Edited by thannymanny

Add me on Steam!: Bionicdeadpool Productions TTV: Bionicdeadpool Twitter: Avenging_Odin

FatherlyDismalIberianmidwifetoad.gif

I disliked Thor.Thoroughly.But then again, my view isn't really unbiased because the only reason I hated it was the (painful) corruption of Germanic mythology, therefore ruining my memories of my childhood spent reading about Thor hammering a frost giant's head into oblivion.-Dovydas

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Thor based off of Norse mythology, not Germanic? (Maybe they're the same thing, I dunno).Anyway, I saw Thor and Captain America. Pretty good, IMO.

*Insert some sort of banner or photograph here*

In my opinion, Cap comes first.Then we have Tron Legacy, but that was technically 2010.Thor was good, if a wee bit shallow.Source code was very intriguing. Brought up all those time travel questions.And I liked PoTC 4 better than most of the first three pirates movies.

Edited by King Joe

I disliked Thor.Thoroughly.But then again, my view isn't really unbiased because the only reason I hated it was the (painful) corruption of Germanic mythology, therefore ruining my memories of my childhood spent reading about Thor hammering a frost giant's head into oblivion.-Dovydas

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Thor based off of Norse mythology, not Germanic? (Maybe they're the same thing, I dunno).Anyway, I saw Thor and Captain America. Pretty good, IMO.
It is indeed the same thing.Norse is Germanic - the only difference I can really point out is some different names, like Siegfried in the Ring of the Nibelungen is Sigurd in the Icelandic version.-Dovydas

:kaukau:The differences in mythology is due in part to two reasons: the first being that the comics were that way and the second being that part of the premise was that these people inspired a mythology that wasn't true on all of the details due to the inability of primitive humans to understand what was going on. I actually didn't even mind that one of the Norse/Germanic gods was black in the film, because I automatically assumed that it was the type of detail that would have gone unremembered by the Norse, who would have retold things things to fit their culture.Though I have to agree with others that it was a little too shallow. The one change I would have made would be that Loki's plan would have taken longer due to complications and Thor should have learned his lesson after a longer time, so the journey would have been more dramatic. Given the theme of personal improvement and the twist on mythological backgrounds, I would have preferred if the film had a visual narrative somehow combining Lord of the Rings and Cars.I hate it when I like a film but can only think of negative things to say about it. It gives the opposite impression of my overall opinion.Your Honor,Emperor Kraggh Edited by Emperor Kraggh

thor was based off a comic book. somebody go see immortals and tell me how much it butchered the mythology. i sure as ###### can't bring myself to. ._.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

I would say Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows - Part 2. Why, you might ask? Well, I'm a real hardcore Potterhead, go figure.The only thing I didn't like much about the movie is the ending scenes. All from after they had dropped off from the dragon until the end. Again you might ask why. Well, the most logical reason is because that was where most of the book didn't make it into the big screen. Ravenclaw's dormitories, Fred's death, Centaurs and House Elves joining the final battle at Hogwarts, Harry hiding the wand, Phineas Black, Ron and Hermione's big kiss, and even the comedy parts in 19 Years Later. All of that could have been done much better and might have made the movie even better. Although, the final battle and Neville's epic speech could be kept. Those were still so epic.It would have been better if they ended the movie with the screen turning black and the words "All Was Well" appearing, but that's just my point of view.