Bzpower Pet Peeves

Dralcax

Could someone please show their work for the statement that the average member is 14+?Either way, the question isn't whether children will be exposed to a rude word; Gatanui's post clearly states that this word is too often used to insult other members--and that it is NOT filtered because it's inappropriate (which it obviously isn't, being in the very books, as you commented). Filtering the various put-downs is helpful in keeping people from insulting each other too much. It's also not proper for the overall positive tone of this website. The purpose isn't to keep kid's minds clean.~ BioGio

Yes, And if the same kids read the "cool dude" in a Bionicle book, they could go around insulting people, too.And I got the "80%-ish" thing from a poll a while back.
You're still missing the point. The purpose is not to keep children from seeing a specific word and learning how to insult each other. Simply put, the filter exists to keep people from insulting one another on this website--not to prevent them from learning it. Whether kids know any word is not important, whether they learn from their friends or BIONICLE books. The purpose is to keep people from going about and being too rude to people on this site. (I really hope that this makes since, as I'm beginning to feel like I'm just explaining myself very poorly.)Also, I still need a little more information on the poll; the only one like it that I could find was from 2003. Do you have a link to it or any key words I may use to search for it?~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

Occasionally, I find it annoying when I start a topic in S & T and nobody reads the first post and the topic dissolves into new member's misconceptions being corrected.It shouldn't annoy me, but it does.

I concur, and would say that similar issues exist in other sub-forums, too. For instance, this topic has seen people getting corrected over such trivialities as whether MLP is a "meme." Of course, this problem is worst in S&T, and having an influx of posts on whether some character could have lived or done some random thing differently gets quite irritating when it distracts from better discussion of a theory. I wonder if there could be some sort of "Official Simple Questions and Misconceptions" thread.~ BioGio
Or a "Things that Greg Farshtey has confirmed about current story" thread. Even a pinned link to the old "Official Greg Dialogue" would be helpful.This would stop new members spontaneously bringing Makuta Teridax back from the dead and claiming the Golden Being's mind could have come from Makuta antidermis.

Also, another pet peeve of mine regarding the word filter is that I'm not exactly sure of all the words that are banned. Now, I know the obvious cuss words, however, there are some marginal words (and some very mild expressions) that are censored, however, I don't know all of them. So, to invoke George Carlin, "could somebody give me a list?"-don't touch my pocket protector

Um...a posted list of all censored words would be unreadable, because it is, um, censored. And linking to a list of banned words by any member would likely land said member in the net equivalent of BZP jail.
True, I guess that's the inherent irony in any list of words that should never be said.Also, right now I am working on assembling some data on active BZPower members regarding their age. I'll post what I've found soon.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

You're still missing the point. The purpose is not to keep children from seeing a specific word and learning how to insult each other. Simply put, the filter exists to keep people from insulting one another on this website--not to prevent them from learning it. Whether kids know any word is not important, whether they learn from their friends or BIONICLE books. The purpose is to keep people from going about and being too rude to people on this site. (I really hope that this makes since, as I'm beginning to feel like I'm just explaining myself very poorly.)~ BioGio

All that censoring the word does is lead people to just insult people more creatively or subtley, usually resulting in a more insulting outcome anyway.- Tilius
Yeah, I have to agree with that (although I don't know if the outcome is really more insulting normally...). Believe me; I was just explaining the rationale, not trying to defend it. However, taking away the easiest insult to turn to does sort of make one re-think and (if they don't know to avoid filtered words), occasionally, an unintentionally kind and humorous outcome (e.g., "You're a real cool dude."). I suppose that having a filter of certain offensive words is just easier than trying to change people's thoughts and reactions. But, hey, it's like George Carlin said, "There are no bad words: bad thoughts, bad intentions, and wooooords. "TL;DR: I agree and was just trying to explain what Gatanui had said.Also, Toa of Nerds, I would be careful about that, since I think that a lot of younger members don't disclose their ages whether at their parents' request or a wish to not be discriminated against.~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

Could someone please show their work for the statement that the average member is 14+?Either way, the question isn't whether children will be exposed to a rude word; Gatanui's post clearly states that this word is too often used to insult other members--and that it is NOT filtered because it's inappropriate (which it obviously isn't, being in the very books, as you commented). Filtering the various put-downs is helpful in keeping people from insulting each other too much. It's also not proper for the overall positive tone of this website. The purpose isn't to keep kid's minds clean.~ BioGio

Yes, And if the same kids read the "cool dude" in a Bionicle book, they could go around insulting people, too.And I got the "80%-ish" thing from a poll a while back.
You're still missing the point. The purpose is not to keep children from seeing a specific word and learning how to insult each other. Simply put, the filter exists to keep people from insulting one another on this website--not to prevent them from learning it. Whether kids know any word is not important, whether they learn from their friends or BIONICLE books. The purpose is to keep people from going about and being too rude to people on this site. (I really hope that this makes since, as I'm beginning to feel like I'm just explaining myself very poorly.)Also, I still need a little more information on the poll; the only one like it that I could find was from 2003. Do you have a link to it or any key words I may use to search for it?~ BioGio
Ah. I see. Once again this is a "BZPower doesn't want to be responsible for anything, so we're taking the sleazy way out" rule, that, like the ####### and external forums restrictions, could easily be excused by a more realistic approach; shifting the blame to whoever's really responsible. At least just take away the filter and moderate comments so members don't offend each other (not that "cool dude" is really all that offensive anyway).

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Well, people (almost always parents, to my knowledge) have tried to hold BZPower responsible in the past, and BZPower is quite active, so it's rather hard to moderate every individual comment. Also, that particular word can be offensive to a younger person, and is too easy for people to reach to as a way of insulting each other excessively.~ BioGioEDIT: Removed a reference that seems to have incited some unfavorable discussion.

Edited by BioGio

Ah. I see. Once again this is a "BZPower doesn't want to be responsible for anything, so we're taking the sleazy way out" rule, that, like the ####### and external forums restrictions, could easily be excused by a more realistic approach; shifting the blame to whoever's really responsible. At least just take away the filter and moderate comments so members don't offend each other (not that "cool dude" is really all that offensive anyway).
So wait, let me get this straight. Realizing that we have a responsibility to keep kids safe on our forums, and keep things clean and appropriate for all ages, taking measures to ensure that responsibility is met, such as a word filter (that yes, is in drastic need of update, and it is being worked on, albeit slowlt), a ban on links with commenting systems (with a few exceptions here and there, for ease of access to things like Flickr), and a large number of active staff who do constantly moderate a lot of content on the site, is neglecting our responsibilities? If anything, this is us saying we take full responsibility for what is posted on our site, and as such we are doing everything in our power to make things as safe as we can.Like I said, we're working on updating the filter. It will not be discarded. Because while you and I may agree that words are just words, and people will always figure out ways to hurt people with the non-censored words, there are words that, for whatever reason, people (specifically parents), deem inappropriate, and so therefore, in order to keep our "family friendly" atmosphere, we are going to censor no matter what.I'm sorry that this is all such a big hassle to you, on a website that you joined for free, where most members interact for free, and are not forced to stay on. If what you want is an unrestricted site where you can post whatever you want, I don't think BZP is for you.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

To be honest, that word can be used as an insult, and it may not. Maturity plays a large role in this, because if the members aren't mature about using certain words, entrusting members to be careful flies out the window. Checking every single comment is too much moderation, and makes it so the moderators need to be active 24/7. This just puts a bigger workload on the staff, honestly.Now, the whole family-friendly atmosphere: To be honest, I never saw that before the forums went down, as a flame war began because of the kissing banners. Sorry, but that's not family friendly, because the parents may not want their children exposed to those images. I think that the staff should have taken some action on that at least, and let it not go as far as it did. Sure, I'd say the staff does make the site friendly, but there are things like ads, banners, comments - just everything that aren't always appropriate. I do think that advertisements need to be handled, if there is anyway to block ads.And Zaz? Sleazy way out? Explanation please. As DV said, the staff do try to make it as safe as possible. There are plenty of things that should be adjusted, however. Twitter is something that can just allow members to post inappropriate there and link to it here. I've seen plenty of members with Twitter pages like that, although I'm not going to name names whatsoever.But I'm getting off the point. I don't see where you get the word 'sleazy', as I think you're misled in what you're saying, as well with this so-called poll you're talking about. As an estimate, I'd say about forty to sixty percent of BZP is fourteen or older. Being under that age myself, I can say you've got a wrong number on that. Still, sleazy? Again, I'd like an explanation. You're not really stating why the staff are sleazy and irresponsible (which both points are wrong, but that's my opinion). By saying sleazy, you're blatantly insulting the staff.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

Guys even if BZpowers members are over 14 what about the guests that browse these forums. My sister who is in 1st Grade has a friend, also in 1st grade, who recently became interested in Bionicle. Now say the kid goes with his parents on the internet and googles Bionicle. Seeing as how BZpower is the 4th hit on google, its likely the kid may click. Now what are his parents going to think about BZpower, and by extension Bionicle, if there was no word filter and people were using those words all over the forums.

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Sorry, but that's not family friendly

Disney movies are universally acclaimed as "family friendly" and they almost all, to a fault, contain kissing scenes. When I was a kid, I saw my parents kiss one another. There is nothing "family unfriendly" about kissing. I think I even remember some Bionicle characters kind of kissed in an old flash update.

At least just take away the filter and moderate comments so members don't offend each other (not that "cool dude" is really all that offensive anyway).

You'd really rather wait for someone to approve your comments than not be able to say a handful of words? Words that would probably keep your comment unapproved in the first place?And really I'd rather not have to approve all the content that gets posted on here. There is a lot of stuff, and I'm not omniscient. How sleazy of me.

OpAXNpl.jpg

At least just take away the filter and moderate comments so members don't offend each other (not that "cool dude" is really all that offensive anyway).

You'd really rather wait for someone to approve your comments than not be able to say a handful of words? Words that would probably keep your comment unapproved in the first place?And really I'd rather not have to approve all the content that gets posted on here. There is a lot of stuff, and I'm not omniscient. How sleazy of me.
Ya sleezeball! ):<:PBut yeah, that'd be like all of us being "new members"It'd suck.

Ya sleezeball! ):< :PBut yeah, that'd be like all of us being "new members"It'd suck.
Also if you're RP'er then quite frankly it'd be near impossible to RP with anyone.

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

Also if you're RP'er then quite frankly it'd be near impossible to RP with anyone.

I agree completely with this. An example of this fault is the RPG system on the Lego Message Boards. There were people who would post about their character several times in a row, effectively putting their character in several locations at once. I'm not saying BZPower members will do the same, I'm just saying some might.

The "cool dude" word filter is so pointless. The word it filters is even in the BIONICLE books, repeatedly! If it's found in the main books that this is a site about, then it should be okay for the target audience, right? *sighs*

That word isn´t filtered because it´s inappropiate but rather because it has been misused in the past as an insult too many times.~Gata. ;)
:blink: Yeah, it has been used as an insult before. It's also been used as an insult in the Bionicle books that this site is supposed to be a fansite for. Not only that, but Greg's said himself that the books are made for eight-year-olds. So it's okay to have a book expose kids to a mild insult with the possibility that they could use it, but we can't say it on a fansite for these books where the average member is over 14.
Could someone please show their work for the statement that the average member is 14+?Either way, the question isn't whether children will be exposed to a rude word; Gatanui's post clearly states that this word is too often used to insult other members--and that it is NOT filtered because it's inappropriate (which it obviously isn't, being in the very books, as you commented). Filtering the various put-downs is helpful in keeping people from insulting each other too much. It's also not proper for the overall positive tone of this website. The purpose isn't to keep kid's minds clean.Now, to avoid not going nearly off topic too much in this post, I'd say that my true "pet peeve" on BZPower is bad grammar. I don't mean borderline "not good but certainly not unintelligible" grammar--but rather the really bad grammar that makes me have to stop skimming. I also find it annoying when people try to say how BZPower members should feel about, say BIONICLE's end.~ BioGio
"Are all fire-types like you, or are you uniquely an cool dude?"--Kopaka to Tahu, Swamp of Secrets

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Some other pet peeves:1. The whole "IT'S THEIR OPINION HOW DARE YOU DISAGREE" approach. I agree that everyone has the right to be fan of whatever, but that does not mean that we do not have the right to question or constructively criticize their opinion. See, the way I see it, an opinion on an opinion is still an opinion, and it should be respected as well. Someone dislikes Bionicle? Okay. Someone likes Bionicle? Okay. As long as it makes sense, okay. You can debate respectfully.2. Can't really complain about Homestuck (never finished it) or MLP (because I'm a slight fan, and have Brony friends), though I wouldn't mind if you toned it down just a bit. :P If it does not bother you guys, though.3. Flaming and trolling.4. Flame-bait topics (sorry, OP).5. Topics that seem to talk about something we already discussed.Not sure what else to say.

My Comedies: The Krika Show (Season 1)
The Krika Show Season 2 

*Tentatively steps into BUTT KICKING MODE*When the administrator of the website says you shouldn't talk about it, you probably shouldn't talk about it.The rule is set.If you have an issue, PM him or a Forum Leader and they will take your concerns under advisement.And to be clear, that means no more posts about the so-called Kissing Banners. We don't need to close another topic because it got derailed by this.*sets BUTT KICK MODE to PASSIVE SCAN, ready for any problems*Man, that was kind of exhilarating. Sorry I had to go power moderator on you guys, but let's all just BE COOL, alright?

Edited by InnerRayg

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

Ponies. Come at me.

This made me lol :DAnyways, my pet peeve is when people use the word 'bionicles'. Yeah, I know I've gotta get over it, but still...

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

Will they really take it under advisement?Oh, another peeve is that only PMs get blogs... But that's just cuz I love them. :P

A Polite PM to an administrator will do more convincing then a thousand topics like this one, and that goes for almost any subject.

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

All right, I'll explain. You guys aren't taking the easiest way out. The fact is that if an issue arose where someone got called a relatively mild insult like "cool dude," and somehow escalated into a huge deal (what with the prevalence of much, much more rudeness on the web and likely in other places the member goes, this is unlikely) the BZPower staff doesn't want to have any responsibility for the issue. They could defend themselves, and likely win, but they'd now much rather just completely filter a mild word from usage. This saves them from having to deal with, and probably successfully dealt with, too, the unlikely event of a big blowout over one of the filtered words. To make it short: they don't want to risk the possibility that they could get in trouble, so they stay completely away from anything that could possibly cause them to get in trouble. This is essentially the reason for the ####### and forum restrictions, too.Also, Peach 00, I was insulting the staff's current method of dealing with the usage of words deemed offensive, not the actual staff.

Edited by Toa Zaz

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

All right, I'll explain. You guys aren't taking the easiest way out. The fact is that if an issue arose where someone got called a relatively mild insult like "cool dude," and somehow escalated into a huge deal (what with the prevalence of much, much more rudeness on the web and likely in other places the member goes, this is unlikely) the BZPower staff doesn't want to have any responsibility for the issue. They could defend themselves, and likely win, but they'd now much rather just completely filter a mild word from usage. This saves them from having to deal with, and probably successfully dealt with, too, the unlikely event of a big blowout over one of the filtered words. To make it short: they don't want to risk the possibility that they could get in trouble, so they stay completely away from anything that could possibly cause them to get in trouble. This is essentially the reason for the ####### and forum restrictions, too.Also, Peach 00, I was insulting the staff's current method of dealing with the usage of words deemed offensive, not the actual staff.

This is nonsense and you know it. Like I said earlier, the word filter is in place because we are taking responsibility. The word filter isn't us being lazy, or attempting to run from responsibility. It's not about is hoping that "we don't get in trouble". It's to make the forums child-friendly. Because those words, whether it makes sense or not, are not ones most parents want their kids to see. It's about keeping the forums as available and wide-access as possible. It's about creating a safe environment, and it is precisely because we take responsibility, and we take it so seriously, that these reistrictions are in place. We're not worried about angry parents emailing us and yelling or anything like that. By having these restrictions, we open the forums to the widest possible demographic, and that is good for everybody.

Also, let's be honest, the Cool Dude filter is hilarious. I wouldn't want to get rid of it even if we didn't have any other filters at all.

I disagree - it's second in pure hilarity to the "Nobody cares about me. I need attenton so I wanted to be annoying." filter. That one's just priceless. Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Not really a pet peeve, but I do wish there was a COT Topic we could devote to news and political discussion. I mean, I understand why the rule is in place, to avoid flaming over opinions on the matter, and to avoid mature content, and I have no problem with the rule actually being in place, but I do sort of wish there could be a topic for it, very well regulated of course. I just think seeing the opinions on the members here on more important matters of the day than video games and TV shows could be a really nice opportunity, although I know why it's been refrained from.In actuality though, there's also a certain level of consistency that I feel wavers in certain places. The rules on appropriate content are reasonable of course, but there's sometimes I think things slip through that really ought to not. I recall a good few years ago, maybe around 08 perhaps, an illustration came up for a contest that involved Inika Nuparu slicing through matoran and impaling them on spears, with very bloody, graphic results. (Yes, I remember who the illustrator was, yes he's still a member on here, yes, if I need to, I will go back through the archives and find the darn thing.) This illustration was let through with no repercussions on the creator that I was aware of, nor was the image even removed. It's small waver's like that will occasionally frustrate me, and I know it sounds stupid finding examples dated by several years, so it's not something I feel really strongly about. But I sometimes wonder like, if that can go through alright, why can't the library have more lax laws with the word filter, just for stuff like 'cool dude'? (A censor I also understand the purpose of, and I agree is pretty darn funny when it doesn't worm it's way into your stories and kinda disrupt the flow..)In the end though, I'm completely happy with how BZPower is. I find changing some of my ways to a more kid-friendly environment comes pretty easily to me, and I understand why most if not all of the rules are in place.

exo-toa_battle.jpg

Not really a pet peeve, but I do wish there was a COT Topic we could devote to news and political discussion. I mean, I understand why the rule is in place, to avoid flaming over opinions on the matter, and to avoid mature content, and I have no problem with the rule actually being in place, but I do sort of wish there could be a topic for it, very well regulated of course. I just think seeing the opinions on the members here on more important matters of the day than video games and TV shows could be a really nice opportunity, although I know why it's been refrained from.In actuality though, there's also a certain level of consistency that I feel wavers in certain places. The rules on appropriate content are reasonable of course, but there's sometimes I think things slip through that really ought to not. I recall a good few years ago, maybe around 08 perhaps, an illustration came up for a contest that involved Inika Nuparu slicing through matoran and impaling them on spears, with very bloody, graphic results. (Yes, I remember who the illustrator was, yes he's still a member on here, yes, if I need to, I will go back through the archives and find the darn thing.) This illustration was let through with no repercussions on the creator that I was aware of, nor was the image even removed. It's small waver's like that will occasionally frustrate me, and I know it sounds stupid finding examples dated by several years, so it's not something I feel really strongly about. But I sometimes wonder like, if that can go through alright, why can't the library have more lax laws with the word filter, just for stuff like 'cool dude'? (A censor I also understand the purpose of, and I agree is pretty darn funny when it doesn't worm it's way into your stories and kinda disrupt the flow..)In the end though, I'm completely happy with how BZPower is. I find changing some of my ways to a more kid-friendly environment comes pretty easily to me, and I understand why most if not all of the rules are in place.

This is exactly how I feel. While I know and am happy with the rules as they are (I usually have no reason to call anyone an 'cool dude') I find myself longing for things that would jeaperdize the family friendly atmosphere simply because I am older. But I understand and abide by these rules.

This is nonsense and you know it. Like I said earlier, the word filter is in place because we are taking responsibility. The word filter isn't us being lazy, or attempting to run from responsibility. It's not about is hoping that "we don't get in trouble". It's to make the forums child-friendly. Because those words, whether it makes sense or not, are not ones most parents want their kids to see. It's about keeping the forums as available and wide-access as possible. It's about creating a safe environment, and it is precisely because we take responsibility, and we take it so seriously, that these reistrictions are in place. We're not worried about angry parents emailing us and yelling or anything like that. By having these restrictions, we open the forums to the widest possible demographic, and that is good for everybody.
Is it nonsense? It's obviously the criteria of the ####### and external forum policies, so it would make a lot more sense for you guys to be hiding from trouble again than something about keeping the environment "good for everybody."

Isn't trouble bad? Does anyone want trouble on their site? That said, DeeVee is right, BZP is taking responsibility for keeping a clean environment for everyone, not just children. BZP is working on rewriting the rules to the major concerns members have, but it takes time because of schedules and various opinions.It goes hand-in-hand with keeping the site good for everybody.

Edited by Erebus

jlovfkk.jpg