Live Chat On Bzp

PooZy

Sorry, but a live chat on BZPower is not at all compatible with our policies. It would require constant moderation, but there are not always staff members online and most of us are too busy with real life in order to be online as often as such a heavy moderation would require.~Gata. ;)

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

The staff have vetoed this same proposition in the past for being too difficult to moderate.

There are already many ways to live chat with someone. And they don't strain the server.Seems kind of redundant (not to mention absurdly difficult to moderate).

They really are not that difficult to moderate. First of all you can put some simple filters to catch the swears, and another filter to prevent spam (so member gets kicked if he posts 5 times in 5 seconds for example).Also I consider BZP to be relatively mature as a whole, I don't think it would be much of a problem. Benefits outweigh any risks.

sigpic2.png

The staff have vetoed this same proposition in the past for being too difficult to moderate.

There are already many ways to live chat with someone. And they don't strain the server.Seems kind of redundant (not to mention absurdly difficult to moderate).

They really are not that difficult to moderate. First of all you can put some simple filters to catch the swears, and another filter to prevent spam (so member gets kicked if he posts 5 times in 5 seconds for example).Also I consider BZP to be relatively mature as a whole, I don't think it would be much of a problem. Benefits outweigh any risks.
The forums have simple filters, but they still require moderation.But I don't agree with your benefit-risk analysis. The only benefit I see is that people wouldn't have to have both AIM (or Skype or YIM or something) and BZP open at the same time. Whereas the chat would have to be installed, tested (hello downtime), and customized in a way that actually works (all by volunteers who have stuff to do outside the forums, mind you). And it would be a constant stream of stuff, which would load and lag the server even more. Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

Sorry, but too many occasions have proven that BZPower is not always mature enough. Anyway, even with filters it is completely impossible to prevent the chat from becoming full of random comments, leet, inappropiate language and forbidden links.

Not to mention that there would be a bazillion messages being posted at the same time :P

And that. :P~Gata. ;)

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

If one of the main reasons against this is the moderation, how about you have to click 'I agree to terms' to use the chat? You'd have to agree you're over 13 and are mature and what-not...

And how would that stop spammers, exactly?

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

If one of the main reasons against this is the moderation, how about you have to click 'I agree to terms' to use the chat? You'd have to agree you're over 13 and are mature and what-not...

Spam filter. You can limit the number of characters in a chat post, you can auto-kick for too many posts per second, you can have a vote-kick system, all these I've seen working successfully on other sites.

sigpic2.png

Spam filter. You can limit the number of characters in a chat post, you can auto-kick for too many posts per second, you can have a vote-kick system, all these I've seen working successfully on other sites.
Or you could get an IM account.It's a lot simpler.

OpAXNpl.jpg

I don't like the idea much. It's easy enough to chat using some other service that won't tax the server, and moderating it would be a nightmare (especially in keeping material appropriate for BZP's entire age range).It's also much easier to offend people and get into arguments in a chat, since most people don't put as much thought into a quick chat statement as they would a post. You put something out, you can't take it back, people get offended, and something messy begins. The staff can't watch a chatroom all the time, so if a fast-paced discussion gets out of hand when no staff person is around, it can escalate much more quickly than something in a forum.Semi-related to that, I think a vote banning system would lead to unpopular users or the victims of flaming getting banned when they're not at fault for the situation.There have also been some member-made chat rooms, which suffered from poor moderation and an abundance of offensive discussions and general rudeness. I'd be very concerned that a BZP-made chat would end up like that when there wasn't staff around.And finally, I don't think a user agreement would stop anyone from going into the chat. If we were lucky, there might be a five people that read it before going into the chat.

Edited by Ziko

Yeah, that's kind of like outlawing guns so nobody shoots each other. The trustworthy people would get rid of their guns, and criminals would keep theirs.

Yeah, that's kind of like outlawing guns so nobody shoots each other. The trustworthy people would get rid of their guns, and criminals would keep theirs.
No the idea isn't that spammers won't agree to the terms... the idea is that it wouldn't be BZP's responsibility if an innocent were to be offended, it would be their own fault. In any case some decent filters and a vote-kick would keep the chat relatively clean (unless there are some really bad eggs) :SBut anywho from feedback it seems the general consensus is LAG, TOO MUCH LAG ... and there's not much that can change that I suppose.

sigpic2.png

What he's proposing is a chat where several members can chat together, not just one to another. Although a group chat with all the members of the community would probably slow the servers down, just a chat where you can invite other members into the conversation would be simpler. And keep in mind that Skype, AIM, and other chat systems would take along time to get an account set up and you'll only talk to two or three people every once and awhile. Instead, just have a small chat system where you can have up to five members in one conversation, an instant messaging system. It can be filtered in a similar way the PMs can, can it not?Of course, it would exclude things like games and files that could be sent and the usual additions that come with Skype, but you'd still have a probably simpler system. Still, I personally don't mind the idea, but the comment system is getting roughly close to that, as you can have conversations on your own profile. The problem with that is that it's not personal enough and not private. =/

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

As cool as it would be to have a BZP chat system. There are quite a few risks involved in doing so.As one example, I could see the system being used to exclude people from conversations. Where a bunch of members could talk about another member behind his/her back. And if it was moderated similarly to the PM system, then no one would report the rule-breaking because everyone was in on it. That's just one example, many other good ones have already been brought up that I agree with.

jlovfkk.jpg

What he's proposing is a chat where several members can chat together, not just one to another. Although a group chat with all the members of the community would probably slow the servers down, just a chat where you can invite other members into the conversation would be simpler. And keep in mind that Skype, AIM, and other chat systems would take along time to get an account set up and you'll only talk to two or three people every once and awhile. Instead, just have a small chat system where you can have up to five members in one conversation, an instant messaging system. It can be filtered in a similar way the PMs can, can it not?

You can group chat with IM clients too.Creating an IM account shouldn't take more than a few minutes. There's really no way to justify the effort of creating an on-site chat with all the proposed features when there are already other ways of chatting.

OpAXNpl.jpg

You think we have server problems now? Try having a chatroom and then see what it does to the speed of things around here.Not to mention the other problems with this.I'm mostly just here to post comics. I talk to my friends on Skype and other places; I don't need a chat here.

button.png

Personally, I think it would be great, but I think 1) such a chatroom should not be hosted on BZP - the server has enough problems as-is 2) there should be an age limit for the chatroom - 13 and up sounds good. IRC would probably be a good choice for a chat protocol (since it's popular and doesn't require regimentation), and if enough people are interested, I'm willing to host a Bionicle IRC server - a Bionicle chatroom is a good idea IMHO :)EDIT: Post #252 - a palindrome :)

Edited by UltraHau

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Ignoring the fact that it will not happen - I still would not like to see it done. I've been involved in large, unmoderated group chats before and they can turn pretty nasty. By nasty, I do mean it in the literal sense, too. S'not always fun.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."