A Clockwork Night

Voltex

I wasn't expecting to see the dead character's cameos until the last chapter. I'm not complaining that they showed up here though. At least I got to be in this game one last time, even though I was dead. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I wasn't expecting to see the dead character's cameos until the last chapter. I'm not complaining that they showed up here though. At least I got to be in this game one last time, even though I was dead. :P

Nah the last chapter has a special guest appearance already, giving dead people cameos at the same time would spoil it

A special guest appearance? Intriguing...

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Well, we already know that we're supposed to be delivering the mask to Ekimu, so he's not much of a special guest, and I'll be somewhat surprised if we don't see Kulta at some point or another. 

Aside from maybe Makuta himself, I can't think of anyone else who'd be appearing in the finale. 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Well, we already know that we're supposed to be delivering the mask to Ekimu, so he's not much of a special guest, and I'll be somewhat surprised if we don't see Kulta at some point or another. 

Aside from maybe Makuta himself, I can't think of anyone else who'd be appearing in the finale. 

We saw Kulta in Episode 6

E: By the way, you're all welcome

Edited by Breath of the Wild
  • Upvote 2

I just read that.

Classy stuff.

There are some salty lines in that story.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

I just read that.

Classy stuff.

There are some salty lines in that story.

It's a way to poke fun at everyone!

-

You have chosen to search the Palace.

Episode 09 will be up today or tomorrow.

EPISODE 09: How it Began

When the first Council of Twelve Mask Makers ruled over Okoto, I was initially given charge over the rather dubious task of maintaining the forge after displeasing several of the others during our conquest. At the time I cursed them out of spite, but now I am thankful, for it was an assignment that perhaps saved my life in the end. I was there to witness one of our own try to rise up against the others and see them executed for their foolishness – and the Mask Maker Civil War that followed.

At the end of the Mask Maker Civil War (in which I remained neutral as the remaining ten tore each other and their armies to shreds, until only four remained), I bid them farewell and sailed a ship southeast with a crew of Stone, Water, and Fire Okotoans. We found a small island to make our home and constructed a great labyrinth, building ourselves a new home within. While the Okotoans I had brought with me established new lives for themselves, I dedicated my life to observing all of Okoto, and began to record its happenings. I watched the Mask Makers recover from their Civil War admirably, rising higher than ever before. I watched as they slowly began to fade away, diminishing until only two of their number – Ekimu and Makuta – remained.

I watched as the Mask Maker Makuta, in his foolishness, crafted a Mask of Power that brought only calamity.

The Long Night.

(An excerpt from the writings of the Mask Maker Voltex).

-

The sun was shining, beating down on the crowd with wave after wave of insufferable heat. The gathered Okotoans – a mix of those who lived in the city and those who had come to visit from all across Okoto at the summons of its Ruler – shifted restlessly. Those that had previously counted themselves lucky enough to have found seats around the display area were beginning to regret their choices, as the seating area lacked all shade (though the presence of the legendary Mask Maker Ekimu among them helped to tide them over).

Likewise, those who had previously counted themselves unlucky, forced to stand some distance away, were now becoming thankful for the shade that the surrounding buildings provided, as they awaited the arrival of the one who had called them – the Mask Maker Makuta.

Among those who observed from the distance was a lone figure atop one of the rooftops, clad in alien white and black armor. His mask was the same design as every powerless mask on Okoto, but even this recognizable trait was strange in appearance, for rather than mixing a primary and a secondary color, it was entirely white. A black cloak wrapped around his shoulders, and a hood had obscured his features entirely before being removed.

None present knew his name – no Okotoan had known of his existence for centuries.

If Ekimu or even Makuta had been aware of his presence, perhaps they might have recognized him – the last of the Council of Twelve, the so-called Lost One, the mythical First Mask Maker (misnomer though it was) Voltex.

Had they been aware of his presence, had they been aware of the things he had learned in his exile, the things he had seen, perhaps the fate of Okoto might have been altered. Perhaps the Long Night might never have occurred at all.

But it was not to be.

His eyes flickered across the crowd; he recognized Lady Korgot Qendroj and Lord Etoku Sevoi of the Earth Region, Lord Tarix Vatten, Lady Vhisola Rayne, and Lord Kapura Lurrun of the Water Region, Makani Taiki of the Jungle Region, Lord Nato II Gelu and his son from the Ice Region, and even Lord Patrus II of the Stone Region, among various other Okotoans that he had been keeping an eye on in recent years, though Lord Vohon Aodh, Ruler of Fire, was conspicuously absent. The sight of Patrus II in particular brought a smile to the Mask Maker’s face, as he fondly recalled the Stone Region Ruler’s father. Patrus the Proud had been a fearsome warrior and adventurer, and his tales and escapades had amused Voltex and his people for months before the old Okotoan had finally passed away in his sleep.

Finally, his gaze rested upon Ekimu, observing the Mask Maker’s gold and sky blue armor, taking in the minute details of the Mask of Creation adorning his face from afar, and the mighty forging hammer that rested in the younger Mask Maker’s lap.

And then it was drawn to Makuta, as the Ruler of the city – the Mask Maker’s own city – as he took the stage. The Mask of Control was curiously absent, replaced with a simple gold and purple powerless mask. Makuta’s own forging hammer was missing. Makuta was trailed by two Protectors of Stone, who appeared to be holding some sort of box between them covered in cloth.

Voltex frowned.

“Welcome!” Makuta’s voice boomed, echoing into the sky. “I thank you all for attending this ceremony today. For the last five years, I have dedicated myself entirely to my latest project – a project that I am pleased to announce is complete!”

The crowd cheered. Makuta smiled, nodding along, and continued once the noise died down. “Yes, yes. As you know, in addition to ruling over Okoto, we Mask Makers have another duty – it is in our very names. We forge Kanohi Masks, Masks of Power! But always, always, there is a limit! One Kanohi Mask can never hold more than one power. A Mask of Fire cannot also be a Mask of Water. A Mask of Stealth cannot also be a Mask of Strength. A Mask of Levitation cannot also be a Mask of X-Ray Vision.”

He clapped his hands, rubbing them together. “Until now. It took a long time, and I had to dive deep – very deep – into Okoto’s history, into history that had long been forgotten even by us Mask Makers, uncovering its secrets. Long lost peoples and elements, forgotten by all living souls.”

Oh no, Voltex thought. No, he couldn’t have. Mata? Arab? Nyn?

Makuta soon confirmed his worst fears. “In ages past, the first Mask Makers, the Council of Twelve, warred with each other. It was long, drawn out, and terrible, and it resulted in the total destruction of many peoples, reducing Okoto to the six regions and powers we now know today. Fire, Water, Ice, Stone, Jungle, and Earth – but there were others, and having unlocked their secrets and more, I had an epiphany.”

Down below, Ekimu was shifting in place. The Mask of Creation glinted in the sunlight as his hand slowly drifted over to grip the handle of his hammer. Makuta, who had not yet noticed, continued to speak.

“What if a Kanohi Mask could be forged that combined all of the elements of Okoto? Not just the six elements we know today, but all of them?”

“That is enough!” The voice of Ekimu sliced through the crowd, and up on the rooftop, Voltex slowly leaned down to pick up his staff from where he had laid it. “Makuta, no more! You are speaking of breaking the ancient laws!”

“Bah! The ancient laws are meaningless!” Makuta replied, waving his hand carelessly. “There are of no importance!”

“They are of every importance!” Ekimu yelled, at the same time that Voltex whispered it.

“I have done what should have been impossible, Ekimu!” Makuta said, glaring down at his brother. “I have forged the ultimate Kanohi Mask – one with all of the elements that Okoto offers!”

Ekimu stood so quickly that his chair flew backwards, hitting an Okotoan of Water and sending them toppling backwards into the next row – but the Mask Maker paid them no mind as he leaped onto the stage, gripping his hammer with both hands. “Please tell me that you destroyed the mask. Please Makuta, my brother, tell me you destroyed it.”

“Are you mad?!” Makuta asked, snapping his fingers – the two Stone Okotoans behind him stepping forward in response. “Of course not! Okoto, behold; I give you… the Mask of Ultimate Power!”

He whipped the cloth off of the box and withdrew the so-called Mask of Ultimate Power – and even from a distance, Voltex could feel the dark energies leaking out of it, calling to him, pulling at his core, his very essence. Ekimu flinched violently, but Makuta seemed unaffected – aside from the manic smile now spreading across his face.

That was when Voltex realized exactly how grave the mistake he had made was.

Makuta had not been Makuta for a very long time.

Despite Ekimu’s last, desperate warning, Makuta took off his powerless mask, and placed the Mask of Ultimate Power upon his face.

And the rest, as they say, was history.

-

“So this is where it happened,” Roman murmured, standing at the edge of the crate where the fateful demonstration had been held six years before.

Voltex nodded, leaning heavily on his staff. “Yes. This is where the end of Okoto began.”

Taka Nuvia sighed. “Lord Vohon is paranoid, but in this instance, it certainly served him and the Fire Region well.”

“Nobody ever made it back to the Jungle Region, did they?” TL asked.

Voltex shook his head.

FF hesitated before asking the question that had been on all of their minds. “What happened to them? To Makani Taiki, to all the rest?”

Voltex sighed, shaking his head. “The instant Makuta put on the Mask, it was over. Ekimu tried to strike at him, to knock it off, but there was nothing to be done. By the time everyone else realized what was going on, it was already too late; Skull Warriors and Skull Scorpios had swarmed the crowd, and every Okotoan that fell to them rose back up to strike at those who still lived.”

“The Skull Grinder? The Skull Basher? What about them?” Trijhak asked.

“From what I have gathered, I believe they rose up from beneath the Earth Region at the same time,” Voltex said. “Lady Korgot and Lord Etoku escaped the devastation here by the skin of their teeth and returned to find their home in ruins. Even you did not have it quite so bad.”

“How many survived?” Jed asked quietly.

“Ekimu and I, for starters, though I escaped the city on my own in the beginning,” said Voltex. “Ekimu retreated to the lands of House Patrust with twenty-two other Okotoans, and it is thanks to them that anyone else on Okoto had any warning at all.”

Hellyam frowned. “And you? What did you do?”

“I fell back to the Ancient City,” Voltex answered. “It was a place filled with the magic of the Mask Makers. I was joined by several other Okotoans, from each of the elements, but they all perished but when we reached the city… we found the Skull Grinder waiting – and from there, only I survived.”

He turned away, before continuing, “come. The Mask of Control will not be here – Makuta had left it behind, that day. It will be in his palace.”

-

The Palace had once been carved from stone and fitted with bronze and gold to emphasize its designer’s station, for Makuta had designed it himself, along with the rest of the city.

Now, it was a ruin – albeit one still standing, unlike most of the city.

They entered directly into the throne room.

There, they found a disturbing sight.

Makuta was seated upon the throne, Mask of Ultimate Power on his face, and the Mask of Control in his hands.

His eyes, like the dead, did not see.

-

The following members are still alive, and must decide on a path to take:

-Taka Nuvia, Roman, TL, Hellyam, FF, Trijhak, and Jed

OPTION A: Retreat, for the mission is lost; if Makuta awakens, your lives are forfeit.

OPTION B: You’ve come too far to turn back now. Take the Mask.

-

The game will conclude with Episode 10.

Edited by Breath of the Wild
  • Upvote 5

I'm so confused right now. Are you giving us a freebie, or is this some kind of trick? 

We came all this way, lost so many people, to get to where we are now. Those of us who've played BZPGOT Season 1 already know that Ekimu and Umarak have the Mask of Control at the end of the Long Night. And we know that it eventually winds up in the possession of the Jungle Region afterwards. 

Surely you didn't set up this whole game just to go "lol, nope, you suckers were never actually going to win". 

So I am absolutely going with Option B.

We came to get that mask, and we're sure as heck going to leave with it. 

• Upvote 4

I'm so confused right now. Are you giving us a freebie, or is this some kind of trick? 

We came all this way, lost so many people, to get to where we are now. Those of us who've played BZPGOT Season 1 already know that Ekimu and Umarak have the Mask of Control at the end of the Long Night. And we know that it eventually winds up in the possession of the Jungle Region afterwards. 

Surely you didn't set up this whole game just to go "lol, nope, you suckers were never actually going to win". 

So I am absolutely going with Option B.

We came to get that mask, and we're sure as heck going to leave with it. 

This is exactly the kind of trick that would give me no end of amusement. :P

But I think it'll be the second choice for the episode that you'll really end up hating.

The mission is all that has mattered this entire time... It's the one thing that has kept us going and preventing rest for those who kept on going. 

The. Mission. Must. Be. Completed.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Actually, yes, I support this plan. 

Timelord, you can be the one to physically take the mask.

The rest of us who decide to stay will shout words of encouragement from a safe distance. 

• Upvote 5

This... this definitely feels like some sort of trick. 

Does anyone else feel the air on their back? This looks like some sort of trap... two masks and Makuta in a palace still standing, unguarded. I'm paranoid that as soon as we touch that Mask, skulls are going to start crawling out of the walls and that Makuta's going to notice us. ...I think, he has already.

But if we go back, we'll have failed the mission - not to mention we'll run into the skulls pursuing us... and I get the feeling that if we all continue forward and try to take the mask, that Makuta's going to notice us. 

You know what, FF is saving me regardless, right? So, regardless if Option B is the correct path...

Option A, because I'm protected and I don't think anyone else is going to take it. Even if the rest of us don't survive, someone needs to. Otherwise, the location of the Mask of Control will be lost again, and another group of Protectors may end up with the same fate. 

• Upvote 2

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

Doomed if we do, doomed if we don't. 

I'm still sticking with B, though. 

• Upvote 2

Huh, interesting choice to make here. This is one of those rounds where it's not a group decision anymore, right?

Option A it is, then. Option B seems a bit too obvious to me, and if it was the wrong choice it would be funny to me if I (or rather, my in-game character) died right before the end. ^^

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Option A, because I'm protected and I don't think anyone else is going to take it. Even if the rest of us don't survive, someone needs to. Otherwise, the location of the Mask of Control will be lost again, and another group of Protectors may end up with the same fate. 

You remember what happened to roman right? He chose the opposite choice and was dragged along the route opposite his own choice by force?

Though to be fair, the only reason I wouldn't vote for A is because frankly that means everything and everyone that has been lost thus far... it was all for naught. 

@FF

We knew where the mask was, or at least it's general location since the start... Makuta City. Why would Ekimu send others on a mission that he could have potentially completed himself?

Edited by Vox

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Perhaps instead of it being me that's running away, maybe I should take the mask (because I'm protected) and the rest of you should run away. 

So if taking the mask is the incorrect option, then we survive and have the mask, right?

Since Taka is running away, I'm switching to Option B. Just gotta not die. 

Edited by Trijhak

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

But if both paths kill you, wouldn't that undermine this entire game?

This is Voltex were talking about.

I suspect such.

Perhaps instead of it being me that's running away, maybe I should take the mask (because I'm protected) and the rest of you should run away.

So if taking the mask is the incorrect option, then we survive and have the mask, right?

Since Taka is running away, I'm switching to Option B. Just gotta not die.

I'm taking the Mask!

I going rant at Makuta for what he has done to Okoto and take it.

We are Jungle Okotoans, we don't runaway.

For ours is the Fury!

Edited by ToaTimeLord II

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/