Official My Little Pony topic

~Allegretto~

And frankly, it didn't help that Rainbow Dash didn't show any patience for Derpy's difficulties. Mind, if Rainbow had done so it would be fairly out of character for her, but they could've at least had a pony like Fluttershy there as well to call out Rainbow and show Derpy a little more genuine kindness.

I dunno, to me it seems like that would only add to the "Derpy is mentally challenged" idea. RD tends to be impatient, but she's not mean, so having her act as she did makes me think Derpy is a regular, if clumsy, pegasus. OOC behavior around would only emphasize the perception that she's "different".I don't think her voice made her seem different either. At most she was slurring a bit, which isn't really big considering "speech defects impediments" aren't uncommon. Though it probably didn't help that her voice actress thought Derpy was a boy. Edited by Bfahome

OpAXNpl.jpg

I'll be perfectly honest: I am glad Derpy's voice was changed.Her true/original voice just... isn't right for a kids show. Often when I visit a big shopping centre, I see someone in a wheelchair with contorted features who is clearly 'differently abled'. Sometimes you can't help overhear when they talk and... it's disturbling similar to how Derpy talked.Sounding differenty abled, acting differently abled, looking differently abled and basically being shown as nothing but a liability on those around her (she pretty much destroyed a whole building when allowed to do as she pleased) really adds up to some really weird messages. When I saw the episode I legitimatly changed my opinion from Derpy is clumsy to Derpy isn't right in the head.I like Derpy, she's unique but I totally understand why people felt insulted... her portrayl was too close to my experiance of an actual "differently abled" person. Her new voice I like, it suceeds in making her seem... well, normal. It wasn't their intention to make her "like that" but the voice just crossed the line between clumsy and having a condition. My view; I hope they keep the new voice and just stress Derpy's a klutzy girl with googly eyes... and she's a girl, right... she should really sound more like one =/

I'd like to hear your opinion on Snails.

G A Y   A S   H E C K

I'll be perfectly honest: I am glad Derpy's voice was changed.Her true/original voice just... isn't right for a kids show. Often when I visit a big shopping centre, I see someone in a wheelchair with contorted features who is clearly 'differently abled'. Sometimes you can't help overhear when they talk and... it's disturbling similar to how Derpy talked.Sounding differenty abled, acting differently abled, looking differently abled and basically being shown as nothing but a liability on those around her (she pretty much destroyed a whole building when allowed to do as she pleased) really adds up to some really weird messages. When I saw the episode I legitimatly changed my opinion from Derpy is clumsy to Derpy isn't right in the head.I like Derpy, she's unique but I totally understand why people felt insulted... her portrayl was too close to my experiance of an actual "differently abled" person. Her new voice I like, it suceeds in making her seem... well, normal. It wasn't their intention to make her "like that" but the voice just crossed the line between clumsy and having a condition. My view; I hope they keep the new voice and just stress Derpy's a klutzy girl with googly eyes... and she's a girl, right... she should really sound more like one =/

I have experienced plenty of people with disabilities and I honestly think that people overreacted when Derpy was portrayed as she was originally in The Last Roundup.She came across as perfectly normal to me, even though she had a bit of a speech impediment and a depth perception problem.I'm lightly derp-eyed myself and I have no sense of depth at all (that, and I can't see 3-D effects in cinemas, but that's beside the point). I tend to knock things over a lot, thanks to my eye problem.If anything, she was portrayed perfectly and realistic.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

I don't think it was bronies that got upset about the portrayal of Derpy, Zerothemaster, I think it was parents.Honestly I don't care about the voice change, but I'm very sad they cut her name (the line where it's missing sounds awkward now) and her derp eyes. =/

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

I'm just gonna sit on the sidelines here and let all the Derpgate stuff wash over. Anypony with me?

Here here. So in other news, I've been trying to find a decent plushie pattern to attempt to make my own plushie. Anypony know where I may be able to acquire one? Edited by zerack: the rogue

Scootaloo,

the greatest chicken/dodo/scooter riding Pegasus ever

I'm just gonna sit on the sidelines here and let all the Derpgate stuff wash over. Anypony with me?

I know I am. This whole thing hit the fan while I was on a little trip, and I'm really glad it did - I just can't bring myself to get worked up over this. I guess it's because I wasn't really expecting Derpy to have any more speaking roles - I just saw this as a wonderful one-time gift to bronies, but now all these bronies seem to be acting as if we were entitled to this, like we deserved it, and not appreciating this for how unusual it is to have an animation studio do such an obvious shout-out to their fans.So...yeah, I dunno. I'm gonna sit this out.

If you want to see what became of me... I became a brony fan fiction writer.

You know, the new voice does sound more feminine. I mean, it could have been wore. Hasbro and iTunes could have just as easily deleted the scene in its entirety.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I don't think it was bronies that got upset about the portrayal of Derpy, Zerothemaster, I think it was parents.

...I actually legitimately forgot that children watched the show.Also "parents" (or whatever the council is that decides what the "parents" think) are way too prickly about these kinds of thingsso she slurs and and talks funnythat doesn't mean she's mentally challengedgads

Why does everyone keep bringing up Snails? He doesn't seem to have any mental issues besides being a little bit slow witted and awkward as all get-out. Heck, I don't find Derpy at all offensive, but even I think she represents someone with legitimate issues, even if those issues are limited to vision problems. Snails is just a colt (and based on his acne, probably one who's in the middle of puberty), so his awkwardness could have a lot to do with not being all that mature, and is likely something he'll grow out of. So why does everyone bring him up as a counterpoint to the Derpy drama?

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Why does everyone keep bringing up Snails? He doesn't seem to have any mental issues besides being a little bit slow witted and awkward as all get-out. Heck, I don't find Derpy at all offensive, but even I think she represents someone with legitimate issues, even if those issues are limited to vision problems. Snails is just a colt (and based on his acne, probably one who's in the middle of puberty), so his awkwardness could have a lot to do with not being all that mature, and is likely something he'll grow out of. So why does everyone bring him up as a counterpoint to the Derpy drama?
Everyone brings him up because if people find Derpy offensive, then they should find him offensive as well... but they don't.I don't see Snails as having any mental deficiency, he's just not very bright. Same with Derpy. She has no mental handicap, she's just clumsy.However, those people who choose to look far too deeply into an animated pony with wings and claim that she's offensive to the mentally handicapped, they should be equally offended, or even more offended, by Snails. He's dim-witted, awkward, speaks with a slur, and is somettimes seen with misaligned eyes. If this is perfectly okay by their standards, then so should Derpy.

G A Y   A S   H E C K

Try not to insult people, Shad. =/Anyways, I'm rather angry about the Derpy stuff, but whatever. I'm excited about Fluttershy coming on Saturday. =3 Of course, I might not get to watch it Saturday, so that would be unhappy-making.

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

Try not to insult people, Shad. =/Anyways, I'm rather angry about the Derpy stuff, but whatever. I'm excited about Fluttershy coming on Saturday. =3 Of course, I might not get to watch it Saturday, so that would be unhappy-making.

Me insulting people? I never do that.Is it still on in the morning, or did the time change?

So I went to a Target today and the was SO MUCH PONY. I saw the celestia/luna set and wanted it, saw the individual ponies and wanted them, and holy carp. I need money, man. It's kinda' weird when the barbie aisle is one of your main stops...

E8c8QpP.jpg

The Toa's Hideout is once again open for business! We've been gone for a few years, but now BIONICLE's back and so are we. Click the banner to check out our friendly and laid back site where you can discuss all manners of things and chill with awesome people.

So I went to a Target today and the was SO MUCH PONY. I saw the celestia/luna set and wanted it, saw the individual ponies and wanted them, and holy carp. I need money, man.It's kinda' weird when the barbie aisle is one of your main stops...

xD I looked at some at Wal Mart... I felt weird. :P

The oddest part of being in this fandom (for me) is actually having to make a conscious effort to avoid the girl aisles.

xD

I don't wanna fuel a debate but I wanna respond... XD

Though it probably didn't help that her voice actress thought Derpy was a boy.

This actually explains a lot... the whole scene I had no idea who approved the voice (barring bias for "girls should sound like girls!" which could start a whole other debate) since it sounded glaringly male/supertomboy female and as far as I was concerned, didn't fit the character at all. Of course most people would be dissappointed that she "didn't sound how I imagined she would", but to me she didn't sound like any pony should sound..I had to actually look up who Snails was, couldn't recall by name but I don't find him offensive. He's just the sterotypical "thick kid" that seems to appear in a lot of shows. I get the point trying to be made, but Derpy seemed to kind of represent somepony who was actually mentally challenged, rather than being slow. Snails still has an awesome "horrible engine startup" sound effect when he tries to use magic, though :P

I have experienced plenty of people with disabilities and I honestly think that people overreacted when Derpy was portrayed as she was originally in The Last Roundup.

Given she's a fictional pony, I think the outcry of complainers and then bronies at the change is about as large as an overreaction as you can get. I understand it, but why they were so infuriated as to email Hasbro and such...Can we clear something up as well? For me, the only thing that made Derpy's portrayl "bad" was her voice, and that because it sounded so similar to my personal experiance with differently abled people. What was the real reason Derpy was demanded to be removed; her whole derpy-eyed clutz nature? I mean... let's face it I don't think very many people complained about Derpy being Derpy until she got a speaking role... so doesn't that mean that the voice is the whole issue?Also, the incredibly biased "Save Derpy" video on a certain-video-website's front page is the most depressing thing I've watched in a while. I only call it so bias since they make her claim "It's not my fault"; of course it isn't Derpy dear it's your voice actor's for not knowing your gender! :PBut just to clarify, I love Derpy and I'm glad she's not being removed for good (whether she has another speaking role, I don't know), but I thought her voice was bleh and I understand where the complaints come from. Derpy pony is best pony!On another happier subject, a future episode will have Spike joining a "Dragon Migration" or such... I love to see more plot for Spikey-Wikey, and more dragons are great to see! I still don't get why Spike seems to be the only wingless dragon ever though (as a newborn when he got supersized briefly he had no wings, and then when he hoarded his heart out, he had no wings either. His "scales" seemed to behave a lot more like hair as well, being shaved and all....... is it actually hair? O_o"Dude that's creepy") Edited by Transairion

breakdown_signature.jpg

The light becomes the dark...

Has anybody read Harpflank and Sweets? It's pretty good.

Yes! I really appreciate how the author has managed to keep the plot interesting, without deviating too much from the "Saturday morning cartoon" vibe. The chemistry between Bon-Bon and Lyra feels genuine, and I like the way that Trixie seems extremely shallow at first, yet develops into a much more sympathetic character as the story progresses.Also, you just gotta love Nurse Redheart's portrayal in that story. :biggrin: Edited by Keizah the Kaleidoscope

steven-giantwoman-b.gif

[æzɚæθ mɛtriɔn zɪnθos]

All I know (or think I know) about the whole issue with Derpy's voice is that iTunes folks got picky about their opnion on her speaking appearance, insisted on a change for their version of the episode, and Hasbro eventually complied. That's it.I really don't see the big deal. As far as I know, the TV airing edition, the upcoming DVD release edition, the version on Hasbro's official site, and who knows how many ####### uploads remain the same. All it looks like to me is a minor case of executive meddeling. The fandom must just be a little upset that Hasbro has bowed to pressure to do some altering for one group of people.Geeze, as I said, the original version of the episode should still be easily acessible everywhere. Why are we being picky about iTunes releases? When did they get so important?!(note that I am not an iTunes user)

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

Because there's no where else to download the show from.Hasbro, please to Amazon? kthnx

Is downloading the episodes really a necessity? I'm fine with going to various websites if I feel the need to catch an episode.Granted, I'm not really one to be frequently rewatching episodes, but still... it's just one provider, guys.

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

Here's a copy/paste from an e-mail that was sent by Amy Keating Rogers and was posted online.This may shed some light on everything.

Whew, this controversy has been overwhelming and exhausting!I actually had no idea that fans were really upset about the "Derpy Change" until your email. And I didn't actually know about the change until I got an email last week from a fan telling me about it!Let me try and put some rumors at rest and calm the fans. And to do that, let's go back to the beginning.When I first wrote this episode, the character under such harsh scrutiny was named Ditzy Doo. We had already established in previous episodes that she was clumsy (she is not the pony you want on your moving crew). And we named her Ditzy Doo thinking of her as a being a bit dingy.The scene I wrote was originally longer and had a flashback explaining exactly what Ditzy Doo had done to damage Town Hall. She and Rainbow Dash were "Bucking Bolts" out of the clouds during a storm. Ditzy Doo was bucking too close to Ponyville central. Rainbow kept trying to yell over the noisy bucking for Ditzy to move away from town. But Ditzy could not hear her and thought that Rainbow was complimenting her for her great buck bolting. Ditzy then hit Town Hall with a bolt. And, thus, the damage.For the second draft, I was asked to change Ditzy's name to Derpy as a "tip of the hat" to the fans. So, not knowing that Derpy meant anything beyond klutzy and clumsy, I did as requested And then I was finished with this episode.I had nothing to do with the original voice casting. In my mind, she was ditzy, as her original name implied. But that's not anything I was ever involved with MLP. The scene was made shorter because the script was too long and because the story wasn't about Ditzy/Derpy. It was about Applejack.When this episode first aired, I did not see it until after I started getting emails either thanking me or berating me for Derpy's portrayal. The angry emails really freaked me out because I knew that I had not written a scene that could possibly be interpreted as being insensitive to people with disabilities.So, when I got home, I watched the episode. I saw that the scene was shorter, which did not surprise me. That happens all the time. I listened to her voice and it was deeper than I expected. However, I was not offended by any part of the scene in any way.But I got about 10 emails saying how offended folks were. People labeled me an "ableist" (a word I'd never heard of) and said that I was being insensitive to the disabled by calling this character "derpy." I then did a search on what derpy meant and the first things that came up were "embarrassing" and "awkward" which is what I thought. But then when I did more in-depth searches, I discovered that one definition is "retarded."Now, you have to realize that reading that made my heart sink. My son Soren (of Soarin' fame) is severely disabled. We do not use the word "retarded" in our house because it really has become an offensive slur. And while I knew that it was only a minority of people that defined "derpy" this way, it still upset me that I was the writer that put that name out there. It was painfully ironic and goes against the fact that I'm an advocate for the disabled.I also want to note here that while I got 10 negative emails, I also got about 200 positive ones! I knew that the majority of fans were not offended. I got emails from fans with siblings with disabilities and parents of kids with disabilities and fans who had disabilities themselves and none of them were offended. At first, I tried to answer all these emails, but then I just became too overwhelmed. Still, I want to thank you all for your support!But I was not the only one getting contacted regarding Derpy's portrayal. Positive and negative feedback was also being sent to Hasbro and the Hub. Someone at the Hub who knows about my personal connection with disabilities contacted me asking my opinion. We talked about various options of what to do.1. Do nothing.2. Cut Rainbow saying "Derpy" but keep Derpy's voice.3. Cut Rainbow saying "Derpy" and change Derpy's voice.4. Find a creative way to change Derpy's name in a future episodeAnd I was honestly torn about which action should be taken. I went back and forth and back again. It was a no win situation. Fans were going to be offended no matter what. And while I was not personally offended by the scene, I tried to put myself in the shoes of someone that was. I know that if I was offended by something that I thought was disparaging against the disabled, I would want my voice heard. But then I also knew that an insensitive portrayal of someone with disabilities was never our intention, so why change it?When that call ended, no decision was made. And it was not my decision to make. I am just a freelance writer here, not a network executive. That decision was up to Hasbro and the Hub. I am sure they weighed what was best for the MLP brand, the show, the network, and they may have even weighed in my personal situation. Maybe they wanted to spare me from getting anymore more hate mail and people calling me offensive names. It may have been only 10 emails, but each one made me feel absolutely horrible If the effect on me was part of their motivation for the change, I think that's really amazing, incredibly sensitive, and very commendable.In the end, Derpy's voice was re-voiced to be more ditzy. And while, again, I had nothing to do with the casting, this is closer to the voice that was in my head. And as for cutting her name, if it truly can be defined as "retarded," then I am personally glad that name is gone. I wouldn't want my writing to perpetuate children--our target audience--to call other children "derpy" with that meaning behind it.So, I know the fans are upset. But please don't be upset at Hasbro or the Hub or DHX Media or the "Anti-Derpy" fans or me. Let's remember what the message of MLP:FiM is--tolerance, kindness, understanding, and, most importantly, friendship.All my best,Amy

So Derpy was bucking bolts! :P

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Because there's no where else to download the show from.Hasbro, please to Amazon? kthnx

Is downloading the episodes really a necessity? I'm fine with going to various websites if I feel the need to catch an episode.Granted, I'm not really one to be frequently rewatching episodes, but still... it's just one provider, guys.
1. It's the only way you can pay and get the episodes for keepsies, bar the DVDs, but those aren't even close to offering a complete collection.2. Buying the show is good for the show.3. It's still the only way you can buy episodes okayI like watching it for free, yes, but I would also like to purchase it without having to go through iTunes.@Valenti: That letter was quite nice. Still an overreaction to an uninformed minority, IMO. Edited by Bundalings

skiddo.png

I want to THRIVE
Not just survive.

Y'know what? I have a feeling at least half those e-mails were trolls who were trying to perpetuate "derpy" as meaing something bad. Then four of the others were oversensitive people who try to be "politically correct." Finally, only one person that had disabilities or knew someone with them was actually offended. Or I'm a conspiracy theorist, either way. XDAnyways, I've never heard "derp" or "derpy" used as a form of retarded. It's always been "clumsy," "air-headed," or just a joking word. But whatever, what's done is done. I would have preferred for them to change the voice and leave the rest. That might have even made me happier. =/

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

Anyways, I've never heard "derp" or "derpy" used as a form of retarded. It's always been "clumsy," "air-headed," or just a joking word. But whatever, what's done is done. I would have preferred for them to change the voice and leave the rest. That might have even made me happier. =/

Neither have I, actually.YAY! PONIES THIS SATURDAY!!! =DGoing a week without new ponies was hard.

Anyways, I've never heard "derp" or "derpy" used as a form of retarded. It's always been "clumsy," "air-headed," or just a joking word. But whatever, what's done is done. I would have preferred for them to change the voice and leave the rest. That might have even made me happier. =/

Neither have I, actually.YAY! PONIES THIS SATURDAY!!! =DGoing a week without new ponies was hard.
I was managing it just fine until I realized there was no new Ninjago episode on Wednesday either. A week without not one, but two of my favorite shows is uncool. Thankfully we have a new pony episode this weekend to break that dry spell!

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Interesting to hear a firsthand account of how the Derpy controversy progressed. I haven't seen the new version, but honestly from what I've heard about the change it doesn't seem like it in any way insults the character. This was, after all, her only appearance where she spoke or was named. And some people, even people who weren't offended, found the voice inappropriate (the voice actor mentioned later that she didn't realize Derpy was even a mare) or preferred the name Ditzy Doo.From what I've heard, the eyes are still a bit off-kilter in the updated version, just less so. The voice is higher-pitched. Her name is no longer given. But from what I can tell, she's still the same Derpy we loved from episodes prior to The Last Roundup. Just a slightly-different interpretation of that character from the interpretation that was originally chosen when voicing and scripting the episode.

As I've said, I'm happy the voice was changed. I found it odd (given, not offensive) in the first place. When Tabitha stated why, I thought they should have changed it. What I'm not happy about is the change in appearance and name. But as I said in my blog, just let it go, people. Eat a muffin, enjoy Derpy Day and the fact that she still exists. =3Was happy to see her in the snowglobe in the last episode, of course. =3

The change in appearance wasn't especially severe, though. Her eyes were still a little bit wonky I believe.As for the name, it hasn't officially been changed, and I imagine out of fear of backlash they'll probably just leave her unnamed for the time being rather than officially naming her as Ditzy Doo as was originally intended. Some people are still going bananas over the fact that Hasbro let "political correctness" influence their decision (ignoring all the decisions they probably make based on political correctness which we never hear about because they happen before the episodes are released in the first place).Personally, it insults me when people act as though political correctness is invariably a bad thing. Sure, the people offended by Derpy were a minority. But they were significant enough to matter to those who were making the decisions, so the fact that they were a minority was irrelevant. The original episode showed that Hasbro cares about their fans. The decision to change it ever-so-slightly for an even smaller fan segment than it was a shout-out to in the first place shows they care MORE about what their viewers think, not less.

I'm not saying all "political correctness" is bad. I'm just annoyed at how it often is - in this case, I think it was. However, that's technically politics, so... yeah...Again, Derpy Day. Muffins. *nom*Exceedingly exited for Fluttershy this weekend, and looking forward to seeing if Derpy's in there.