Unpopular Opinions?

Vandenreich

I genuinely found MNOG II to be the better game in the series. If any one can counter my argument as to why MNOG was better with nostalgia goggles ON/[OFF] I would like to see it.

Allow me to try: MNOLG featured lively action sequences, memorable characters and cutscenes, mysterious atmosphere and wonderful music, whereas MNOLG II amounted to traipsing around bland, empty environments collecting resources to make stuff for boring nobodies in near total silence, with the only tension deriving from whether you'd crash into a glitch or not.

• Upvote 1

I genuinely found MNOG II to be the better game in the series. If any one can counter my argument as to why MNOG was better with nostalgia goggles ON/[OFF] I would like to see it.

Allow me to try: MNOLG featured lively action sequences, memorable characters and cutscenes, mysterious atmosphere and wonderful music, whereas MNOLG II amounted to traipsing around bland, empty environments collecting resources to make stuff for boring nobodies in near total silence, with the only tension deriving from whether you'd crash into a glitch or not.

Okay, I agree with you points, but it had a greater atmosphere of Mata Nui, more speach options, more secrets, more interactions and even some minor RPG elements

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

MNOG had a simpler, easier concept, was nice and short, and had really great graphics. But MNOGII had longer gameplay, more characters, more scenes of Mata Nui, and more minigames. I know, it might be glitchy, but IMO it was a great game, along with the first one.

MNOG had a simpler, easier concept, was nice and short, and had really great graphics. But MNOGII had longer gameplay, more characters, more scenes of Mata Nui, and more minigames. I know, it might be glitchy, but IMO it was a great game, along with the first one.

Im sorry, but Im confused. Are you agreeing with me?

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

MNOLG + difficult challenges + repetition + glitches + exasperation factor x 1000 = MNOLG II. :P

It was the only Bionicle game that me and my little brother actually gave up on when we played it the first time. MNOLG II had some great challenges certainly, that were fun to figure out, but the problem was that you had to do them 100 times. You never knew how many times you had to repeat the previous challenge, to get over the next one, which adds a level of uncertainty that was just exasperating. MNOLG, whose main fault was simplicity, at least wasn't repetitive.

But to each his own...

Also, the ending of The Final Chronicle was totally silent. It was actually kind of creepy.

Plus, it didn't feature the Toa. The action sequences were one of my favorite things about the original.

• Upvote 1

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Also, the ending of The Final Chronicle was totally silent. It was actually kind of creepy.

Plus, it didn't feature the Toa. The action sequences were one of my favorite things about the original.

This^

When Ta-Koro was under attack by the Rahkshi, and you see the Rahkshi, it makes you think the action is going to really get started (even though there's no sound again); and it takes you to the outside of the village...looking at a destroyed Ta-Koro... My reaction was "what?"

• Upvote 1

new_sig_legacy_2.png

-snip snippety snipsnipsnip-

This^

When Ta-Koro was under attack by the Rahkshi, and you see the Rahkshi, it makes you think the action is going to really get started (even though there's no sound again); and it takes you to the outside of the village...looking at a destroyed Ta-Koro... My reaction was "what?"

Isn't this getting a tiny bit off-topic? I mean, this is about opinions that you might have that differ from the general view on something. I'm sure there's an entirely different topic altogether for re-telling the Flash-games.

Anyway, another unpopular opinion to add to the list:

Virtually all sets are "good" when looking solely at the pieces. The different years just all had parts that were good for a different thing, but it's sorta hard to distinguish "better" and "worse" within that.

iquXD5X.png

Im sorry, but Im confused. Are you agreeing with me?
I'm saying that both are good and they shouldn't be judged with each other.

I think the problem at the root of the MNOLG II was that all the (post Kal) 2003 storyline had been taken up by Mask of Light, and for whatever reason, virtually none of the movie's events made it into the game, so instead the game makers tried to create a sort of prequel showing how Hahli made it to the Kohlii finals. But the game had to stand up by itself, and Hahli's Kohlii stuff isn't very interesting in itself, nor was there were any other interesting stuff going on at that point in the storyline to turn to. So the game, without a solid story premise, ended up being a fairly empty experience.

I think the problem at the root of the MNOLG II was that all the (post Kal) 2003 storyline had been taken up by Mask of Light, and for whatever reason, virtually none of the movie's events made it into the game, so instead the game makers tried to create a sort of prequel showing how Hahli made it to the Kohlii finals. But the game had to stand up by itself, and Hahli's Kohlii stuff isn't very interesting in itself, nor was there were any other interesting stuff going on at that point in the storyline to turn to. So the game, without a solid story premise, ended up being a fairly empty experience.

I actually kind of liked the storyline, just not the execution. I thought Hahli's rise from obscurity was pretty interesting, and I also thought having the Charms and Crystals and all the villages' philosophical views on kolhii helped make them seem like a real culture. If only the mini-games weren't so hard and repetitive and the Matoran had less ridiculous names.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I actually kind of liked the storyline, just not the execution. I thought Hahli's rise from obscurity was pretty interesting, and I also thought having the Charms and Crystals and all the villages' philosophical views on kolhii helped make them seem like a real culture. If only the mini-games weren't so hard and repetitive and the Matoran had less ridiculous names.

What was so bad about the names? Besides Tiribomba, Pakistaa and a select few others the names were believable, nice, and even somewhat awesome in some cases.

toatanusignature.png

What was so bad about the names? Besides Tiribomba, Pakistaa and a select few others the names were believable, nice, and even somewhat awesome in some cases.

I personally hate Tiribomba's name...and his color scheme. I mean, look at this weird looking Matoran! Anyway, that's my opinion on him.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

You call Orkahm, Tehutti, Nuhrii, and Ahkmou "weird sounding names"? The four of them appear in the game, but spelled differently(Orkan, Tehuti, Nuri). But that's just my opinion, and yours.

I liked Pakistaa, and that color scheme rocks. :no:

I liked Pakistaa, and that color scheme rocks. :no:
Who's Pakistaa? There's a Pakastaa, but no Pakistaa. :D Edited by Takua Dragonstar7

----

I propose that this relates to what I said last year about Farshtey focusing entirely on action and intesity. That was fine in the early years, when there was other stuff like the MNOLG to provide the enriching worldbuilding and atmosphere that he didn't. You pinpoint 2006 as the decline, the time at which he - through the books - began telling the story single-handedly. I think putting the entire story in the hands of a writer with limited stylistic scope robbed Bionicle of a lot of its appeal. The weight of the story's spiralling complexity around this time didn't help either.

I definitely agree; your input is very well-said, thanks! :)

I couldn't agree more. :)

And hey, what is it with the MNOG II names? Most of them were taken directly from Finnish (Pakastaa means "to freeze", Tuuli means "wind" and so on). People obviously don't like Finnish. D: Sniff.

Another unpopular opinion would be this: I hate the fact that violence increased in later years. Most seem to think of it as a good thing, but I think it took a lot away from character development and the innocence of many characters. Also, the "teaching of values" aspect was totally forgotten.

• 2 weeks later...

MNOG was a more polished and concise experience. It never felt repetitive, and told an exciting story from the get-go. MNOG II, on the other hand, suffered from crippling bugs. Too much of the game was padded with materials gathering and trading and "grinding" stats in repetitive minigames just to stand a chance in the buggy and lackluster Kolhii minigame. The actual action in MNOG II doesn't begin until a ways into the game, when the Rahkshi start to attack; contrast that with MNOG, where the game opens with Macku pleading with you to save her village. I did appreciate the worldbuilding in MNOG II, such as the many diverse Matoran names, as well as the Matoran philosophical concepts like the Virtues, Principles, Skills, and enemies of each Matoran tribe. But this worldbuilding was bogged down by a game that, at its core, just wasn't fun to play.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Alrighty... don't kill me....

Matoro's death was lame, no one cared about him much, and a more important character would have been better.

Teridax came back too many times

The whole Velkia being a GB thing is stupid

I believe neither kopaka nor tahu deserve leadership, pohatu is a more charasmatic and caring leader. #pohatuftw.

Tu2d6W7.jpg