Unpopular Opinions?

Vandenreich

I think my "unpopular opinion" would be to REALLY like the 2004 storyline. I've seen many badmouth this particular story arc, for being a "prequel" and whatnot.But what I saw in Metru Nui, was the golden age of the Matoran civilization, back then they were a great culture, now a lost and forgotten people who have gone "back to basics" in a sense (i.e. Mata Nui).Metru Nui was their high point, the peak of their existence, and we got to witness the fall of this ancient civilization and the end of the city.

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

• 3 weeks later...

Good lard would you look at all this back-and-forth over Greg Farshtey.Anyway.

Functions suck and makes posing a headache.

This. Despite the clamoring of semi-metaphorical tons of people for "MORE FUNCTIONS", I thought even when I was younger that functions (especially gear functions) were goofy, unnecessary, and even sometimes annoying.

Gali Mistika's mask is awesome.

I don't know if it was the best mask for her, but the mask by itself is just plain cool.

:P~:b::i::m_o::m::a::n::c::e::r:~

"YOU'D THINK, FOR BEING A DEAD MAN, I'D BE MORE TRIUMPHANT THAN I AM."

This. Despite the clamoring of semi-metaphorical tons of people for "MORE FUNCTIONS", I thought even when I was younger that functions (especially gear functions) were goofy, unnecessary, and even sometimes annoying.

This reminded me of when I was little and I was trying to pose Vakama, but the weight of the disk launcher made one arm swing down, causing the other to swing up and smack me.

aouROFb.png

Gali Mistika's mask is awesome.

I don't know if it was the best mask for her, but the mask by itself is just plain cool.

:P~ :b: :i: :m_o: :m: :a: :n: :c: :e: :r:~

We've gotten over our disagreements over Greg. Another unpopular opinion of mine I liked the Inika masks and them being organic.

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

This reminded me of when I was little and I was trying to pose Vakama, but the weight of the disk launcher made one arm swing down, causing the other to swing up and smack me.

I had a similar experience, though luckily I wasn't smacked very hard.

:P Posing the Metru was always difficult... they were probably my least favorite gear-using Toa design, although they could look good if posed properly.~:b::i::m_o::m::a::n::c::e::r:~

:P Posing the Metru was always difficult... they were probably my least favorite gear-using Toa design, although they could look good if posed properly.~ :b: :i: :m_o: :m: :a: :n: :c: :e: :r:~

I loved the Toa Metru. Mainly for nostalgia reasons becuase that was when I REALLY started getting into Bionicle. I had about 20 from 2002 and 3, but I got nearly all of the 2004 besides Nidihki, Krekka and Lhikan. I have them now though hahaha

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

:P Posing the Metru was always difficult... they were probably my least favorite gear-using Toa design, although they could look good if posed properly.

I loved the Toa Metru. Mainly for nostalgia reasons becuase that was when I REALLY started getting into Bionicle. I had about 20 from 2002 and 3, but I got nearly all of the 2004 besides Nidihki, Krekka and Lhikan. I have them now though hahaha

The Toa Metru weren't my favorite, but for whatever reason, I got all of them within a year and a half of their release.

:P And slowly I'm getting the rest of the 2004 sets...~:b::i::m_o::m::a::n::c::e::r:~

Honestly, I loved 2005. It might've been bland in some people's eyes because of the prolonged Metru Nui arc and the seemingly monotonous environment, but that generic "infested" ambience gave Web of Shadows the most engaging atmosphere of all four of the movies. Looking back, Vakama's character was a bit flat, but his mood swings were quite enjoyable. The Visorak were okay-ish as sets, but the Hordika were awesome.
The biggest problem I had with 2005 was how the timeline was handled. As in, there was no straight timeline, period. Between the comics, the books, the online flash videos, and the movie, there was no way of knowing the order in which all the various events unfolded. Worse, some plotlines were left unfinished - we never saw, for example the Toa doing anything with the Visorak Tower they reclaimed at the end of Bionicle Adventures #10, and we never saw just how Turaga Dume was rescued. This kind of confusion was understandable for 2001, when Bionicle was just begining to establish its world and had yet to establish a solid canon, but it was inexcusable for 2005, especially after how well the previous year was handled.That said, the books released that year were all great, and even though the Hordika sets themselves were a bust, I liked the whole "Call of the Wild" concept. And although the spinners were easily the worst launcher outside of the Barakki squid shooters, the whole idea of mutated elemental powers was quite neat. Overall, I'd say 2005 was full of great ideas that were altogether not handled as well as they could have been. Edited by ~~Zarkan~~

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

The visorak are awesome and The Bara Magna Storyline/sets is awesome.

"EXTERMINATE"-Dalek #1 to #3458271

If you have a self MOC you would like me to build just PM me and I'll make it as long as I have the pieces.

3DS Friend Code: 4699-6562-6279

Pokemon Y safari: Audino, Dunsparce and Chansey

The horika and Visorak are awesome and that Toa Ahkamou would have been AWESOMEZ! :D

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

Here's one: I like the complexity of the storyline. It lets so many characters get spotlights, and it keeps things non-repetitive.
For me that was sorta the problem, there were too many characters and some only got very little screen time making their existence pointless. I'm not saying I hated the complexity of the story (some bits were actually interesting like admittedly Roodaka's backstory) but I hated the times where it got too convoluted and got too complex for my tastes. For instance the whole bit with Tuyet being dead then not being dead only she was in an alternate dimension and her double from another alternate dimension was really in her place. That can almost be considered a continuity snarl. I'm not saying I don't like complex stories (far from it) but at times I felt Bionicle at times got too complicated.

Here's one: I like the complexity of the storyline. It lets so many characters get spotlights, and it keeps things non-repetitive.
For me that was sorta the problem, there were too many characters and some only got very little screen time making their existence pointless. I'm not saying I hated the complexity of the story (some bits were actually interesting like admittedly Roodaka's backstory) but I hated the times where it got too convoluted and got too complex for my tastes. For instance the whole bit with Tuyet being dead then not being dead only she was in an alternate dimension and her double from another alternate dimension was really in her place. That can almost be considered a continuity snarl. I'm not saying I don't like complex stories (far from it) but at times I felt Bionicle at times got too complicated.
My issue with the complexity was that the 'expanded' story content (various factions, alternate universe, etc.) was virtually all confined to the books, and most of it was entirely unrelated to the sets. And yet, if you wanted to know the 'core' story relating to the sets, you had to read the books because the books were the only medium available with which to do so. This in turn meant tackling all the expanded story, which (I suspect) turned a lot of casual fans away from Bionicle.I think what happened was a collision between Lego's desire for a simple and marketable story, and Farshtey's desire for a vast and intricate comic-book-universe story.

Hordika and Visorak were AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

• 4 weeks later...

I ABSOLUTELY HATE how they got rid of brown! It was a bad decision. Brown was better. What really ticked me off is that they changed it in the MIDDLE of 2006. I would hate it less if they changed it in 2007 and kept it consistent. But no. We have gray (Hewkii), then gold (Caraper), then black and yellow (Hewkii), then orange (Pohatu), then yellow (Bitil), then tan (Vorox), then yellow (Mata Nui), and finally, yellow (Rakshi)

Edited by Brander

I like BZP so much, I named my Minecraft account Dimensioneer.

I actually have faith and still believe that Bionicle is coming back, guys, just because you've lost intrest in Bionicle, doesn't mean you outright have to hate on Greg and everyone else that contributed to this amazing decade of joy we got, don't hate on something you once loved, it makes me sick.

Bionicle for 2015.

I actually have faith and still believe that Bionicle is coming back, guys, just because you've lost intrest in Bionicle, doesn't mean you outright have to hate on Greg and everyone else that contributed to this amazing decade of joy we got, don't hate on something you once loved, it makes me sick.
Exactly who is hating on Greg or anyone else once involved in Bionicle?

I actually want Bionicle to come back and still like it.
Me too.* * *(There are some other people on here who want it back, so I don't think that is too unpopular an opinion. But I digress.)I liked 2005 though...I thought that was an unpopular year to like. Edited by fishers64

I actually have faith and still believe that Bionicle is coming back,
It's less a loss of faith and more of facing the facts, the Lego company has stated they have no plans to bring Bionicle back. I could be wrong but looking at the current circumstances it doesn't look like it will happen.
guys, just because you've lost intrest in Bionicle,
Not all of us, we still have discussion in S&T (admittedly not as vibrant as before) and people still write Bionicle fanfiction. Only a vocal minority has lost interest interest in Bionicle.
doesn't mean you outright have to hate on Greg and everyone else that contributed to this amazing decade of joy we got,
This something that has gotten on my nerves, no one and I mean no one said they hated Greg. The worst that was ever said of him was he may be a mediocre writer, it's called criticism. We only stated how well we think Greg wrote and it was only our opinion. So no one hated on Greg or the Bionicle team.
don't hate on something you once loved, it makes me sick.
Again only a small minority of people have stopped liking Bionicle. We're still a forum dedicated to Bionicle and Lego

What is unpopular about what you are doing is that you're painting others in a negative light. You're turning what was something great -- Bionicle, a rich storyline we all love (and the sets, the media, etc.) and we populated this forum devoted to it when it was still active without ourselves, into something to be "holier than thou" about, and spreading strawman accusations that we're not still fans of it or the like. It's not right -- don't turn positives into negatives. Please stop it.It's also trolling (trying to spark arguments), which is against our rules. ;) Consider this a warning...If you really want to be all about appreciating Bionicle and encouraging its return, then be positive. :) Welcome others, and be enthusiastic, don't alienate them and be grumpy! What is making you sick is your attitude towards others, the "dark-shaded glasses" you're looking at us through so that you aren't see the real us. And you can (and should, for your own emotional health...) choose to change that.Word to the wise. :)And it's all forgiven -- though an apology would be nice too. =) It's an understandable mistake, but it's time to move forward now, yanno? ^_^ Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Huh, it's only just now occurred to me the irony in how much some fans have turned on others in the name a story that promotes Unity above all else.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

What is unpopular about what you are doing is that you're painting others in a negative light. You're turning what was something great -- Bionicle, a rich storyline we all love (and the sets, the media, etc.) and we populated this forum devoted to it when it was still active without ourselves, into something to be "holier than thou" about, and spreading strawman accusations that we're not still fans of it or the like. It's not right -- don't turn positives into negatives. Please stop it.It's also trolling (trying to spark arguments), which is against our rules. ;) Consider this a warning...If you really want to be all about appreciating Bionicle and encouraging its return, then be positive. :) Welcome others, and be enthusiastic, don't alienate them and be grumpy! What is making you sick is your attitude towards others, the "dark-shaded glasses" you're looking at us through so that you aren't see the real us. And you can (and should, for your own emotional health...) choose to change that.Word to the wise. :)And it's all forgiven -- though an apology would be nice too. =) It's an understandable mistake, but it's time to move forward now, yanno? ^_^
All I said is that I think Bionicle will come back which is an unpopular opinion here, I'm not trying to insult anyone or start anything, maybe I over reacted when it came to the Greg part afetr I saw a few people saying he's mediocer and stuff like that, fine I did overreact Edited by bonesiii
I've edited this post re: our rules on respecting the staff and other rules. Please see my warning PM, and above all, please calm down. :) -bones

Bionicle for 2015.

MIY, you've crossed the line at several points in this latest post. Please see my warning PM and continue there. We have rules about these things, and it is my job to enforce them.On-topic, is it unpopular to want Bionicle to return? I haven't seen a poll on it to back that up in recent months with the newly active turnover members. Polls on the old forum on the issue were not strongly against it as I recall -- my memory may be blurry on that, but the point is, don't just assume that because you see some criticism of Bionicle or even some people who say that they don't want it back, that that represents the majority. You may be right -- I'm not totally sure; we do tend to change our minds with time -- but it's something that should be discussed calmly.Let's say, hypothetically, that it is unpopular. Then, if you want to change minds -- and I would say all the more power to you because I want it to come back too :) -- the best way to do that is to argue from a positive point of view.I accept your apology about what you agreed you overreacted to. It's okay, it happens. :) Above all, please remember these two things -- stay calm, and this is a discussion forum; everyone has the right to express (respectfully) disagreement with others' ideas. If one person misrepresents -- unintentionally, we presume -- others' opinions, then you should naturally expect that we're going to call you on it. Because that serves no constructive purpose for the 'cause' of helping bring Bionicle back. :) And if you have the right to disagree with us (or your perception of us), then you acknowledge (right?) that we likewise can disagree with you. Especially when we're disagreeing with your assessment of our opinions...Phrasing things as a question too -- "Do most of you guys want Bionicle to come back?" for example -- rather than just assuming they don't based on a few posts, is good advice to keep in mind. Helps avoid miscommunication like this.I have more to say to the parts I edited out but will say it via PM. :)

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Personally bonesiii, I think the answer would be along the lines of "a majority don't think it will come back, but wouldn't mind if did comeback." I think that enough time has passed for the majority of people to have gotten over the end of Bionicle and have moved on. I think the only reason wanting bionicle would be considered an unpopular opinion would because stating you want it to return has garnered some negative responses, mostly along the lines of it being not possible and too far fetched. Such responses have caused the opinion "I want Bionicle to come back" to be considered an unpopular opinion. But, that's just me I may very well be very wrong in my theory.

• 2 weeks later...
I couldn't care less what color the pins are.
THIS. I never understood all the hoopla about colored pins. If you look at pretty much every NASA rover or other vehicle which favors function over form, you'll see all sorts of colors: colored wires, colored springs, etc. While a smooth, solid-colored aesthetic is great for MOCs, colored pins work well with the heavy industrial feel of most Bionicle parts. The only sets where colored pins especially bothered me were sets where they were especially prominent, which was typically a side effect of the sets not being very good anyway (case in point, the Metru Nui Matoran).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

THIS. I never understood all the hoopla about colored pins. If you look at pretty much every NASA rover or other vehicle which favors function over form, you'll see all sorts of colors: colored wires, colored springs, etc. While a smooth, solid-colored aesthetic is great for MOCs, colored pins work well with the heavy industrial feel of most Bionicle parts. The only sets where colored pins especially bothered me were sets where they were especially prominent, which was typically a side effect of the sets not being very good anyway (case in point, the Metru Nui Matoran).
Worked for Vihsola :tounge:

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Except that many MOCs aren't necessarily channeling an industrial look, and that for various vehicles are made to function, not to look good (in most cases). A MOC is more or less made as art, and aesthetics play a big role -- MOCs are form over function. So when Lego ceases to make essential parts in their original subdued colors, it can be a bit annoying.That being said, (and I probably still have a view in the middle on this, compared to the people who vocally hate on the pins and axles), I only really mind the red axles. The blue friction pins blend in a lot more with standard colors like black, and they also are far less obtrusive than the red. Also, in my experience, friction pins tend to be less visible in most MOCs.~B~

THIS. I never understood all the hoopla about colored pins. If you look at pretty much every NASA rover or other vehicle which favors function over form, you'll see all sorts of colors: colored wires, colored springs, etc.
This comparison doesn't work because Bionicle characters weren't meant to resemble vehicles. If the colours were meant to be varied and random in the manner you describe, then why bother with colour schemes?Too many colours can be a bad thing, not just with pins and axles, but in general, especially when you know the character isn't really meant to look that way. For instance, Makuta in the movies is shown as almost completely burnt metal, yet the 2003 set features colours from solid black all the way to bright red.

THIS. I never understood all the hoopla about colored pins. If you look at pretty much every NASA rover or other vehicle which favors function over form, you'll see all sorts of colors: colored wires, colored springs, etc.
This comparison doesn't work because Bionicle characters weren't meant to resemble vehicles. If the colours were meant to be varied and random in the manner you describe, then why bother with colour schemes?Too many colours can be a bad thing, not just with pins and axles, but in general, especially when you know the character isn't really meant to look that way. For instance, Makuta in the movies is shown as almost completely burnt metal, yet the 2003 set features colours from solid black all the way to bright red.
It's very silly to suggest Makuta was "meant to look" how he appeared in the movies, when the movies' purpose was to sell sets... meanwhile, I agree with Lyi, a few spots of color every now and then don't harm the average set any more than if those spots were in black and grey. Plus, in making the sets easier for the average joe to build according to the instructions (and making pins a lot harder to lose), I'd say the switch to colored pins and axles was more than worth the negligible impact it had on sets' and MOCs' aesthetics. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Too many colours can be a bad thing, not just with pins and axles, but in general, especially when you know the character isn't really meant to look that way. For instance, Makuta in the movies is shown as almost completely burnt metal, yet the 2003 set features colours from solid black all the way to bright red.
It's very silly to suggest Makuta was "meant to look" how he appeared in the movies, when the movies' purpose was to sell sets...
The movie characters and sets have to resemble each other or otherwise how would the former promote the latter?What I'm saying is that it seems strange that Makuta's set is such a jumble of colours when his media portrayal is nothing like that.