Last Film You Watched

The most recent movie I have seen was Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. I found the film rather enjoyable, although I find Downey's phony British accent interpretation of Holmes more like a quirky James Bond than anything else, it at least outsteps its predecessor in that it didn't feel remarkably similar to Scooby Doo and the plot was actually somewhat comprehensible. The movie featured a memorable and intriguing villain, the usual wit and charm that one would come to expect from Downey and Law, as well as spectacular cinematography, adequate writing and dialogue, and a fantastic sense of style that leads to some jaw dropping scenes. They also managed to expand on my favorite scene from the first movie (Holmes planning out his fights) in some clever ways so that's a plus. Despite which, it feels like some plot points just don't add up and some characters that don't get enough closure. One aspect of the ending in particular was nonsensical and somewhat disappointing. I wish the series felt more like Sherlock Holmes in someways, but I adore the stylish acting, writing and film making these two movies have established. a fun, humorous action film, I'd say roughly an 8/10.

27823982019_d53174fab1_b.jpg

Well, in the space of a day, I've just managed to watch Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Airplane.I'd say Batman was my favourite of the lot, followed by Airplane. I can see why the latter was so well received. I felt RotPotA was pretty good, but seemed like just another film going on about how humans are a bunch of gits.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

Gods and Generals, the epic prequel to Gettysburg showing the start and first part of the American Civil War.Probably one of the last movies ever made that used tons of extras and, as far as I can tell, no CGI effects to amplify them. They just don't make movies like that anymore.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

War Horse. A story about a boy that bonds with a horse (Joey), and what happens to said horse during WWI.Yes it was sentimental. Yes it was schmaltzy. Yes you could make an argument that it was unnecessarily melodramatic. But I liked it. The visuals were pretty, the horse/es was/were brilliant, John Williams' score was beautiful, and I liked the story. I wasn't expecting another Saving Private Ryan (and anyone who does will be disappointed) so I didn't mind that the story focused less on the horrors of WWI and more on the moments of compassion exhibited during it. I don't know if this was the intention of the director, but parts of how the story were told and how certain scenes were shot were very reminiscent of older films. The end in particular felt very much like Gone With the Wind, while the overall tone reminded me an older horse film called My Friend Flicka. I think this old fashioned story telling is partly why it can get away with being a little sentimental.Speaking of the horse, Joey, I love how they managed to turn him into a character that the audience can relate to. You can tell from his actions, and the actions of other horses, that they have their own fears and desires. It's like they were talking and expressing through movement and actions. Maybe the director/screenwriter laid it on a little thick at times, but these horses were definitely not passive or emotionless characters. Major kudos to the trainers who managed to bring it all out.My only real gripe with the movie is how supporting characters are handled. It's obvious about an hour or so into the film that the writers intend for Joey to be the primary character. Yet there is a fair amount of screen time dedicated to secondary characters, only to have them disappear from the film almost entirely. I know we were supposed to, as stated, be observing the brief moments of human compassion from these characters, but until some way into the second act I just wasn't sure which characters I was supposed to be investing emotions into. But I'm sure this would be remedied by a second viewing, when I know exactly which characters I'm supposed to be following.I love serious/gritty movies as much as the next guy, but sometimes you want to watch something a little more uplifting and fantastical. War Horse fits into that latter category. I'd recommend it if that's the type of movie you want to watch. If you want grit, then watch something else.Now I'm off to find some way to get John Williams' score out of my head. It's beautiful, but mentally repeating songs gives me a headache...

BZPRPG

well the last film i watched was bio-dome. that was last Tuesday. I do want to see that don't be afraid of the dark movie. I saw a preview for it where you had the things stick like a coat hanger or something out of the medicine cabinet and turn off the light switch. that is in my opinion pretty darn funny even though it is suppose to be a horror movie.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Kung Fu Panda 2. By the gods, I love this movie. I really do. People look down on Dreamworks, I've noticed, but frankly, if you give me the choice between a good Pixar movie and a good Dreamworks movie, I will always take Dreamworks, because there's just more magic to it. How To Train Your Dragon and both Kung Fu Panda movies are three of the finest pieces of art I have ever had the joy of viewing. This movie in particular is just so well crafted, I care for the characters, the action scenes wow me and the score moves me.

LzcD9OS.png

Hm... Oh dear, I think the last movie I saw in theaters was Captain America. I don't hit the theaters much. The last movie I watched at home was Kung Fu Panda 2, with my family on Christmas day. Yay family bonding time! :D

zolfbanner.jpg

So take my hand, Now you'll never be lonely, Not when I'm home, sweet home

I see your star, you left it burning for me

Mother, I'm here

• 2 weeks later...
:kaukau: What Sumiki said about horror films is so true. I just saw an advertisement about sharks mysteriously appearing in a lake and one by one eat the teenage vacationers. I'd feel sorry for that lot for all the danger they faced going out and fighting to get the sharks out of the lake to survive, except I can think of a better way they could have dealt with the problem.Anyway, pretty soon I'll be getting started on a list of 60 movies I intend to see (about five of those are actually television shows, which take up even more time). Since the list of latest movies will soon start piling up, I'd better make up some ground and cover the last several movies.Jurassic Park: Steven Spielberg. John Williams. DINOSAURS. How can anything go wrong with this film?It's been a very long time since I've seen this film, and it was a great pleasure to watch it again after all these ages have gone by. From the very moment the movie started, I was in awe, and it's no wonder that Jurassic Park earns its title as one of the greatest movies of all time. Spielberg managed to speak directly to the heart of the audience with a tale made straight from the dreams that make us human. Some movies can do without the special effects, but there is a time and place for the perfect visual story, in this case, one that centers around the creatures that for centuries have fascinated the masses and yet have remained completely intangible. Jurassic Park changed all that, and even now with all the advanced CGI effects in the movie this predecessaor stands out. The dinosaurs in this film are living and breathing, the line between computer graphics and animatronics indistinguishable. The sense of adventure breathes just as much the dinosaurs in it, for this is not just any adventure story and no other story would have suited the return of dinosaurs to Earth.It all starts with one simple promise: We have created dinosaurs and we wish for all to enjoy their majesty. It's both the promise of the film and the promise of John Hammond, the eccentric man with the fortune to create them. Through the main characters, the viewer is allowed to feel every bit of awe as their dreams come true before their eyes, because that's what it's all about. Dreams. It's how Walt Disney became a legend. That's how films became popular in the first place. And that's how the brachiosaurus took breaths away in what was one of the most magical moments in cinema history (thank you, John Williams).To resort to traditional commentary, something must be also be said about the characters. Right off the bat, my favorite is John Hammond. He's an old man with white hair and a white beard, the whole time dressed in all white clothes. It's a classic image of a benevolent creator, perfectly suited for him. Throughout so much of the story, he takes on a persona that the human subconscious links to the idea of God. Not only does he wear white and not only does he create, but he insists on being there for each and every single dinosaur hatching. He deems his creation good, and instead of reveling in his power his only wish is for families to come to his park and be filled with joy.The second commendation for characters are Lex and Tim, John's grandchildren. It's here that I say that the film was perfectly cast, most noticeably here. Lex and Tim have earned the honor of being the cutest children in any film. I absolutely love them. Sure, we don't get to see their complexities as much as, say, Harry Potter, but they're given just enough characterization and in the meantime do what Harry Potter could never do - being adorable simply for being children. There isn't a moment that I'm not 100% for them, and every single time on screen I sympathize with them. From beginning to end, when they're in awe, I'm in awe; when they feel betrayed, I feel they're betrayed; when they're afraid, I'm afraid for them. The main character may have been Grant, but I remember what it was like to be a kid once and these two take me way back.The three remaining adults were also perfect to a tee. Alan and Ellie were a great couple. For that matter, Ellie is in my Top 3 for the most beautiful women in cinema history. Perhaps it's because she looks like my mother did back in 1993 - I don't know. In any case, she adds to the pile of perfectly cast characters, and her vibrant presence helped to bring to movie alive almost as much as the dinosaurs themselves. That's the power of visual storytelling, I guess. Then there was Ian Molcolm, the one with the "excessive amount of personality for a mathematician" - er...chaotician. It was a seemingly simple character, but yet there had to be the one person to stand up and emphasize the glaringly obvious questions that anyone would have thought to ask, primarily a rather pointed one toward Hammond: "Aren't you playing God?" Though i expected him to die, it was a pleasant surprise to see him survive. Sarcastic yet insightful, that's the power of Ian Malcolm. Plus he was played by Jeff Goldblum, another example of the perfect casting.All in all, this film had it ALL. It's like Star Wars revisited, with the same sense of awe and daring contemporary fairytale storytelling that dazzles audiences all over the world, regardless of culture. It's one of those films that fully realize what it means to be a big screen blockbuster and does everything it has to. Imagine the film without Alan Grant casting his velociraptor claw away after all the wonders he saw. Or Lex shaking wide-eyed with Jell-O in her hand as she saw the silhouette of a veliciraptor behind a curtain. Or the Tyrannosaurus rex's first appearance foreshadowed by the rippling water. Or when it later the driver of a jeep saw it take up the whole rearview mirror labeled "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear". Or when the T. rex conquered the velociraptors - he himself, the rightful Tyrant Lizard King - and roared as the banner proclaiming "WHEN DINOSAURS RULED THE EARTH" fell to the floor.It all ends as it should as John Hammond - creator, father, friend - silently stares at the amber tip of his cane, the thing that created it all. No words can express his feelings, only his eyes.I love Jurassic Park. There's nothing that can be done to improve it. It's perfect. This movie is made of solid gold and worthy of its legacy. Like life itself, Jurassic Park found a way.The Lost World: This is one of those few very worthy sequels. Now I won't be putting it up on the pedestal that Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings, Aliens, and Toy Story have earned, but this is close to being as good as it gets. After taking a while to consider, I decided that the first film was better, but they come close.For one, The Lost World creates a natural continuation of the first. Some say it's contrived, but as far as I'm concerned together they form one story. It takes place in the same world, and there's a reason to include the same characters. John Hammond makes a wonderful return, considering that he died in the book and it would have been a bit to ask to see him return in the sequel film. It was also great to make the main character Ian Malcolm, which follows the principle that sequels shouldn't have the exact same feel as their source. I'm glad they took it in that direction, as Ian sowed quite a bit of potential in the first film.Now, I was a little disappointed with his girlfriend, but that was mainly because I liked Ellie so much. Of course, she held her own, but for me personally she didn't quite have the same appeal. Still, speaking for the general audience, she could be described as an improvement. Casting attractive red-headed Julianne Moore as an ambitious protagonist with a sense of adventure was a good call, and I'll admit that Julianne does have a cinematic face. What's more, she was loyal to the dinosaurs, which brought a wonderful element to the story that wasn't there before.See, that's what was wonderful about this movie and made it 99% as awesome as the original. Instead of being a story of escaping the dinosaurs after a dream has gone horribly wrong, it went the other way and it started with a dream that was already askew (made all the more obvious by Ian Malcolm's constant warnings) with people revisiting it to correct it. It starts off simple with Sarah simply putting a brace on a baby Tyrannosaur's broken leg and rescuing dinosaurs from the merciless InGen hunters. It's subtle and doesn't stand out, but the change in theme makes a world of a difference.Also, Malcolm was a very strong main character, stronger than Alan Grant. That's of course because he has "an excessive amount of personality for a mathematician" (chaotician, actually), and it's what the audience wants to see. And I think that it's the right way to go. The first story focused more on the two adults and two children as a makeshift family unit that collectively mimicked the awe and wonder of the audience. Yet, once the initial awe is finished, something has to carry on the wonderful storytelling of the series. One more episode in, the world of Jurassic Park has taken a more distinct, more developed feel. It needs...more personality. Last I checked, that's Ian Malcolm's middle name. Ian Personality Malcolm.It was a pleasure to see the slightly older Hammond kids again. It was only a cameo, but for a moment the magic of the movie escalated. Then they were gone. It was a pity, but their successor wasn't half bad. Kelly still had that sweet charm of a child and it was impossible not to root for her (except for when you know she's going to sneak on to her father's journey, in which case I guess it's possible), and she's different enough to distinguish her from the two kids who came before her. It was also nice to see her T-bone a velociraptor.I have no idea what Vince Vaugn was doing in the movie, though. The bald guy with bushy red eyebrows who called male T. rexes "bulls" was far more interesting. Again, that was a good element and actually an improvement over the hunter in the first film, but perhaps that's because there was more space for an interesting hunter in this film, what with John Hammond being relegated to the background.When it comes down too it, the movie had its great moments, from being introduced to new dinosaurs to an off-road trip to the T. rex stomping through the city waking up little kids (I'm so glad that when he woke his parents up they arrived in time to see im. Take that disbelieving parents.) and chasing cars. And of course the moron who took over InGen for less benevolent purpose than John Hammond had to be eaten by the baby T. rex. Yeah, it's a bit cruel in real life, but in a movie it was so worth it. So even though the movie falls just barely short of the original, it still had its fair share of classic cinematic scenes.Yet my favorite part is the ending, once again following John Hammond's internal journey. It was great to see him come to terms with what his creation meant to him. Jurassic Park III: The only good thing about threequels is that they make us realize how good the originals are. There are plenty of exceptions to that rule, but this one isn't.Jurassic Park III was a disappointment. Steven Spielberg handed the reigns to this Jo Johnson guy saying he wouldn't te continuation of the series to anyone else. The problem is, it seems Steve misplaced his trust. Jo seemed rather convinced in the special features that he was truly continuing the awe and taking it to a whole new level as if it was going to be the best in the series. The problem is that while in and of itself the movie has no flaws, Jurassic Park III is a sequel, and there's no escaping that, especially considering that it's in its very name (notice the sequential label III). As a sequel, it sucks.In a year where people were lamenting over how Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes ruined the face of the original, I dare to say that Jurassic Park III was an even worse franchise-buster (which isn't too hard since I actually liked the Planet of the Apes remake). Jo Johnson soiled sacred ground with his scum.Here's the problem: Jurassic Park III did not in any way continue the series. The first and second movie were intimately intertwined and together formed a narrative of John Hammond's creation. What did this movie contribute to the series? Nothing. It was just a survival story.Yeah, that's right: a survival story with no depth whatsoever.They could have brought back Lex and Tim, who had plenty of potential. When watching the first film, when thinking of sequel potential I naturally looked at them. Since I knew there was a sequel but had no memory of it except for the Tyrannosaurus rex in the city and something about safari hunters, my mind naturally began to implant artificial memories of what might have happened. The thing is that I could think of a lot of good sequels that would have included Tim and Lex or the can of stolen embryos that was stolen, and they would have al been natural continuations of the story.What's Jo Johnson's idea of a natural continuation? Alan Grant, who has already has all the development he needs, makes his return. Too bad Ellie didn't come with him.The new characters were also boring. The kid film wasn't the easiest to connect with. His father had that stupid mustache. The only one I kind of liked was Mrs. Kirby, the mother, but that was mainly because I have a weakness for women with short hair. Grant's sidekick, Billy (I vaguely remember the name but had to look it up), was interesting well written, but due to the way the film was directed there wasn't much connection and he came off as more of an action hero instead of adding to the magic of the film.One of the biggest frustrations was the Spinosaurus. I read what the directors had to say about it: The Tyrannosaurus rex was old and out of fashion. Wait, what? The T. rex has been in fashion ever since it was discovered and it was the soul of the series! Granted, I agree that they can't beat it dead and you have to preserve the king of the dinosaurs for the best of moments, but the reasoning of the film makers was that the Spinosaurus was actually cooler and ought to replace the Tyrannosaurus. They even went out of the way in a Tyrannosaurus vs. Spinosaurus fight to make the thematic point that the Spinosaurus supreme. Their reasoning was this simple: "Hey, let's take the T. rex and make something bigger and badder and therefore better."No. Just no. They may use the Spinosaurus for the purpose of variety, but it cannot replace the Tyrannosaurus. What else has the regal name of Tyrannosaurus rex? The Spinosaurus may be more vicious, but it does not have the staying power of the rightful king of the dinosaurs and the imaginations of man.Mr. Smith Goes To Washington: To be honest, the movie was shorter than I thought, but it had a great story. What can I say? It has James Stewart, my favorite actor of all time, and amazing dialogue. It's both inspirational and educational, and it's one of those films that has really helped complete American culture.Tangled: I think I would have preferred to see the film called Rapunzel, but I understand why they changed it to emphasize both characters. Still, I would have preferred the initial title because that's the real name of their story (think of the Inheritance series and the nature of true names there) and because it's a far more distinct title.The one thing that gets me is how Eugene Fitzhubert sounds odd. I mean, he feels awkward about confessing it and yet he's talking to a girl whose name is Rapunzel.The songs didn't stand out to me much other than "Mother Knows Best", "I Have a Dream", and that one where they were on the lake. This is actually the first time I've seen a computer-animated musical and it was a bit odd seeing the characters break out singing most of the time, and the songs didn't make that much of an impression on me overall, or at least not compared to some other Disney classics.Still, I really liked the film. Eugene was a great guy and I liked how smooth he was even when he was flustered. Rapunzel's problems made her unique among DIsney princesses, and the villain was pretty good for being so manipulative and slick with her tongue. My favorite part was simply the main characters, who did go through an interesting romance, which is basically the genre fits in to. For its main themes, the film was very good.Yes, there was action too, and it was good action, although it wasn't an action film and if it was a action film it would have hit just under the bar. Ditto for adventure. Ditto even for fantasy. This is a romance film (specifically a fun romance film for family), and everything in the film is geared toward that end. And it does just fine.By the way, I loved Rapunzel after her haircut. I have a weakness for that style, too.Rise of the Planet of the Apes: I've written a review for it before, so I won't go into as much detail this time. Watching it again, however, I can definitely say that it wasn't as cool outside of the theatre.Beauty and the Beast 3D: The 3D contributed to the opening scene and the village song. For the latter, it felt like I was watching the cartoon on a stage, and it made sense because that scene does have a Broadway-like feel. There were a few other times where the 3D enhanced the experience, and it was nice to see things in a slightly new way, but overall the real pleasure was just seeing the movie on the big screen for the first time. 3D or 2D, I highly recomment seeing it, because Disney classics are among the selective few movies that define the big screen.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

I'm feeling compelled to review several I've seen lately, but I'll keep it brief:Captain America: The First Avenger--Immensely enjoyable. Chris Evans did an excellent job, Tommy Lee Jones was hilarious, and Hugo Weaving was awesome, as usual. The other actors were also top notch, the script and its execution were inspired, and the effects were amazing. Quite effective as both a superhero movie and a period piece (abeit a period piece with disintegration beams :P ).Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides--Severely underrated. But then, that could be said of this entire franchise, with the possible exception of the first installment. Green Lantern--Again, unfairly underrated. I find the hatred of this film inexplicable, especially complaints about how complex it supposedly was. The film as a whole was very entertaining, with several very clever moments.Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (both parts)--Technically, I had seen part 1 before, but I rewatched it again before seeing the conclusion, and I was glad I did. Both are good movies, but they need to be watched back-to-back to get maximum awesomeness.Batman: Year One--Part of DC's animated direct-to-video line. Nice animation and solid voice acting, but what was really notable was how closely it followed the original story. This sort of extreme faithfulness to source material has strengths and weaknesses, but it definitely works here.Wonder Woman--Another DC animation piece. I've noticed they seem to have a fairly high bar as far as quality goes, and this one is no exception.Justice League: The New Fontier--More of DC's animation, and frankly, out of the five or so I've seen, this one was the weakest. The animation is nice, and the voices are pretty good, but the story was only average and seemed quite rushed at times. Worst of all, Batman started the film in an awesome costume reminiscient of his first one from 1939, but halfway through he switched to a lousy 60's-esque suit for reasons that don't fit with his character at all! BOOOOO!Doctor Strange: The Sorcerer Supreme--More animation, but this one from Marvel instead. I found it held up just as well as its counterparts from DC. Well made and very entertaining.Technically, the last films I saw were the second and third Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Let the critics rant all they want...they just don't understand awesome!"But as long as I'm here, I get to bust heads!"

Edited by The Main Man

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

So, now it's Click.Well, what can I say? It's an Adam Sandler film. Sounds like your typical American comedy film. Well, I couldn't be more wrong. I'm surprised I ever doubted those who said it was an emotional film, because you know what? It really is. This has got to be one of the most overwhelming films I've ever seen, because I went in expecting so little (Come on, a trailer that shows a slow motion female jogger doesn't seem to have much to brag about) and received so much. Strong recommendation for everyone to see this film, it really shocked me and made me laugh a lot.

LzcD9OS.png

:kaukau: Coincidentally, that was the first in the list of reviews I wa going to write.Transformers: Dark of the MoonLet me put it this way: I began watching it and got through the prologue with the anoying narration because it was good to see action taking place somewhere other than an urban settlement for once. Then I watched the next scene with historic footage because it was nostalgic. I began to lose interest by the time I saw the space ship fly through space, however, because it was shining in a way that was unrealistic and unconvincing for a spacecraft in outer space, so the CG was obvious. The problem with CG these days is that it has become incredibly good, but if the artists become sloppy they will get too caught up in making something shiny and complicated instead of just making something look realistic.After that the film was a mess. There is nothing to like about Sam Witwicky whatsoever, but of course the film writers had to give him a Presidential Medal of Freedom for saving the world. Last I checked, the only credit he had was being the best friend of the autobots for no reason whatsoever. He's pathetic and annoying and there's nothing to like about him, even though the writers seem to think that his bumbling nature apparently makes him cute.It was also hard to take his romance seriously and the mini-Transformers wandering around his room. By the time the next action scene rolled around (literally) I had lost interest in the film and was wandering around the room, occupying myself with other things. Soon I turned it off.If you're purely interested in special effects, go with this film, but if you have the slightest sensitivity to characters and story while watching it then you're not doing yourself a favor.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

I will say the last movie i watched was the horror movie Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. from the previous it looked really good but it turned out to be lower than i expected. what little plot there was was not very good. i don't recommend spending alot of money on watching it. I want to see that new Woman in Black. if anyone has seen it please let me know if it is worth the money to see or if it is one where you wait for it to come out on rental.Thanks

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Last movie I watch was Real Steel ( Henceforth known as Rock'em Sock'em Robots: The Move). The plot was old sports cliché " Young underdog beats reigning champion" plot, although it was still well written enough to be interesting. The child actor person was good and not too annoying like to many other child characters. Hugh Jackman's character had some pretty funny dialogue.

Of course, the REAL reason to see it is the robot boxing scenes. Yes, Yes they are as cool as they are in the trailer.