Movie Changes

Sybre

I thought they looked fine. My only real issue was Tahu's mask - you know the scene in Mask of Light where he's falling from a lavafall? Pay close attention, and his mask FLAPS. ew. Just, ew.

But they didn't look anything like the sets. I would have them look more like the Toa from the animated commercials. And for certain masks, i would have a mouth piece that moves as they talk, like the Kakama, but for the Hau, i would have the 'mouth' just be a hole and have the actual mouth of the Toa be seen and move behind it.

I thought they looked fine. My only real issue was Tahu's mask - you know the scene in Mask of Light where he's falling from a lavafall? Pay close attention, and his mask FLAPS. ew. Just, ew.

But they didn't look anything like the sets. I would have them look more like the Toa from the animated commercials. And for certain masks, i would have a mouth piece that moves as they talk, like the Kakama, but for the Hau, i would have the 'mouth' just be a hole and have the actual mouth of the Toa be seen and move behind it.

They weren't supposed to look like the sets. The movies appearances are supposed to be more canon than the sets.

It should also be noted that one criticism I've seen in reviews of the Ninjago TV special and other LEGO animated features is that "the characters look like they jumped out of a toybox". Some reviewers who clearly don't understand the sanctity of the LEGO minifigure even go so far as to suggest the claw-shaped hands of minifigures should be replaced with ones that move more realistically. So clearly for some people toy accuracy in this kind of medium can be incredibly distracting.Not to mention that if the movie characters looked completely accurate to the sets, then there would be a loss in the sense of continuity between characters designed with different set design standards. Kids watching LoMN might not be able to tell that the Matoran are supposed to be the same species as the ones in MoL, given how very different they look. The movie makers' decision to stylize the characters helps them to follow more consistent design rules than the ones from the sets, which were subject to constantly-evolving design standards.

I found the movie masks, especially the Kaukau, to look better than the sets.

I wouldn't have liked the movies as much as I do if they had been setlike? They aren't as relatable as CGI, in my opinion.

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

to catch them is my real test

to train them is my cause

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't have liked the movies as much as I do if they had been setlike? They aren't as relatable as CGI, in my opinion.

I agree with that. Though as to the question of the topic at hand... I would just have rewritten the entire trilogy. Kept the same basic plot, maybe, and some of the scenes the same, just removed a whole bunch of the cheesy dialogue and added much more epic stuff in its place. That would probably be all for WoS and LoMN; though Mask of Light, I would make more changes to: make Takua and Jaller seem less childish, for one, they act like bickering children a lot of the time. And mess with the ending a lot - the Kohlii match, sure, could stand to be replaced with a proper fight, and the Nuva's defeat of the Rahkshi left a lot to be desired on the epic scale; but I'm thinking more after that. For example, I'd scrap Jaller's resurection; as much as I like him, I always thought bringing him back to life just nullified the significance of his death, which always bothered me somewhat, and it just went downhill from there. Got confusing, actually - I never understood what Vakama thought he was trying to achieve by pushing Jaller and Hahli onto the giant UUD symbol, or why that randomly resurected Takanuva and supposedly awakened Mata Nui even though later we would find it actually didn't - so I would have redone that part completely.

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

I agree with that. Though as to the question of the topic at hand... I would just have rewritten the entire trilogy. Kept the same basic plot, maybe, and some of the scenes the same, just removed a whole bunch of the cheesy dialogue and added much more epic stuff in its place. That would probably be all for WoS and LoMN; though Mask of Light, I would make more changes to: make Takua and Jaller seem less childish, for one, they act like bickering children a lot of the time. And mess with the ending a lot - the Kohlii match, sure, could stand to be replaced with a proper fight, and the Nuva's defeat of the Rahkshi left a lot to be desired on the epic scale; but I'm thinking more after that. For example, I'd scrap Jaller's resurection; as much as I like him, I always thought bringing him back to life just nullified the significance of his death, which always bothered me somewhat, and it just went downhill from there. Got confusing, actually - I never understood what Vakama thought he was trying to achieve by pushing Jaller and Hahli onto the giant UUD symbol, or why that randomly resurected Takanuva and supposedly awakened Mata Nui even though later we would find it actually didn't - so I would have redone that part completely.

Then who would lead the Toa Inika? Although maybe they could have just made Jaller not die or introduce a new character and kill him. Also, if Jaller died and stayed dead, everyone would think Lhikan's mask was cursed.

Want to solve an exciting murder mystery? Try Murder Mansion II, a new game in Games and Trivia! 8 Spots remaining!

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19274-murder-mansion/?do=findComment&comment=964351

...I'd actually like the idea of Lhikan's mask being cursed... XD But I dunno, maybe Kapura? Or at least, he could be the Toa of Fire... Kongu would have probably been the leader in that case; I seem to recall Jaller mentioning at one point that he would have been just as qualified as he was.

'course, this is just my personal oppinion, since Jaller's death is a huge nostalgic moment for me :P

Banner.png.3e903c5c49a30ba9503c72b2d57066b0.png

"New legends awake, but old lessons must be remembered.
For that is the way
of the BIONICLE."

Also, if Jaller died and stayed dead, everyone would think Lhikan's mask was cursed.

I actually remember thinking that after LoMN...

I never though of it, though. I just simply watch and enjoy the movie.

mindeth the cobwebs

>>>

They weren't supposed to look like the sets. The movies appearances are supposed to be more canon than the sets.

Well i wouldn't make the Toa be EXACTLY like the sets. MY movie Toa Mata would have their arms like the standard sword arm (the arm Tahu, Gali, Kopaka, and Lewa use to hold weapons) but with a hand on it. Let me explain my perfect Tahu Mata:

Legs flipped, bluky side on top, creating masculine, fit appearance. Circle in the 'joint' of the Mata Legs would be red. Rest of leg would be orange. Some rustiness here and there. The pistons found throughout the legs would be red, creating a small hint of a red in the orange legs. The pistons would pull and heave like tendons.

The chest would be more smooth, and would use the pistons you find along the Toa Mata's sides. The chest would be given almost an Iron Man look: smooth, but with lines that show were numerous armor plates join to form a broad chest.

So yeah, it would look like the toy, but would look a heck of a lot more BA than the MoL characters. Plus, you know the promotional art of the infected Kanohi Hau? Like that big 'ol zoom up?

InfectedHau.png

That one? Yeah, see those little pores in the mask's 'skin'? They create a rugged look. I would have them included in EVERY Toa's mask. Not the Kaukau, but all the others would have a worn and almost rusty appearance, but maintain their primary color. I would have certain masks have different mouths. The mouth of the Hau would just be a hole revealing the Toa's bare mouth in the hole. The Pakari would have a hinged jaw that connects to the mouth, giving the mask its own mouth. The KauKau would be a hole, the Kakama would have a built in mouth. Miru would be a hole, and Akaku would probably be a hole.

If I become a movie producer, should I be so lucky, I will be producing a Bionicle movie, and probably wind up having them look like what i described.

Edited by slifer3000

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

An explanation in MoL how Takanuva was revived in a magical beam of light.

A better animation style in tLR, they just seemed too robotic and set-like. The previous three films added a bit of organic-ness to the characters that fit well. Also, the characters in tLR had all these distracting spinning parts on them that just made them look more robotic. Also, a bit less cheesy humor in tLR, it just detracted from the story. And finally, that movie should have ended with the Mata-Nui Teridax giant robot battle, the original ending just ended too abruptly.

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

An explanation in MoL how Takanuva was revived in a magical beam of light.

A better animation style in tLR, they just seemed too robotic and set-like. The previous three films added a bit of organic-ness to the characters that fit well. Also, the characters in tLR had all these distracting spinning parts on them that just made them look more robotic. Also, a bit less cheesy humor in tLR, it just detracted from the story. And finally, that movie should have ended with the Mata-Nui Teridax giant robot battle, the original ending just ended too abruptly.

If I had written the story for MoL, i wouldn't have had Takanuva die anyways.

Well as I keep saying, they didn't look much like the sets, they looked like a children's version of some BA super heroes. it's like taking Iron man and making him into a kid's CGI. It wouldn't look good. I don't think the movies should be based just off the sets, but they should resemble them a bit more (of course, after adding more details. Kinda like how Transformers in Michael Bay's adaptation looked. A bunch of tiny useless details to make them look cool)

Edited by slifer3000

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

I think the Toa look fine (not great, or really any good, but all right) from Legends of Metru Nui onwards, but in Mask of Light I think they looked horrible. Part of it was the metallic texturing, or lack thereof, in that movie which was far inferior there than in the later films (where they actually kind of look like robots). In the first film it almost looks like they're organic, or plastic, or something. Also, they kind of try to make the Kanohi cover the whole head, and they sort of ended up being awkwardly stretched, with the eyes sort of moved more towards the side of the face, which looked really ugly and weird. They kind of looked like the Inika masks (in fact, the back of Tahu's Hau bears a remarkable resemblance to the back of the Suletu). Also, they tried to remain more set-like with the masks while adding mouths, and some of the Toa's Kanohi, like Pohatu's, really don't translate into mouths very well. With some of the later faces, they changed them from the set to make mouth movements seems more natural (one good example is Matau from Web of Shadows. The set version didn't really have a lower jaw at all, so they added one for the movie). Really, I think they shouldn't have added mouths or eyebrows to them at all (or else do the Optimus Prime thing like in The Legend Reborn, I guess).

Edited by Toa Zaz

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

What if the movies were live-action, instead?

Ewww. Keep that live action stuff away from Bionicles.
Sorry, just throwing it out there. Maybe they could be cool if the dudes who made the Transformers trilogy worked on live-action BIONICLE movies.

mindeth the cobwebs

Ewww. Keep that live action stuff away from Bionicles.
Sorry, just throwing it out there. Maybe they could be cool if the dudes who made the Transformers trilogy worked on live-action BIONICLE movies.

You dont have to apologies XD

Just my personal opinion they should stick to fully animated. Not a massive fan of masses of CGI in movies.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

I think when that live action movie of bionicle comes out (as in they're redoing all the already made films and adding possibly inika and barrakii!) all of it will be fixed!
TLG is not remaking any Bionicle films.
Not TLG
I notice people don't agree. Well. That's okay, people have opinions. But according to me trying to look into this and figuring how it will come out. I think rather well. The complaint is suits and CGI? Rediculous. Well. Most movies use actors in suits, models, animotronics, and CGI together. Here's a list:Transformers (some scenes, not many)The thingGodzilla (1998)AVPJurassic parkWar of the worlds (tom Crusie) These are all award winning films. It should work out fine in the end. From what I understood. Michael Bay was going to do it, but he found out they wanted Shiah LeBough as Toa Nokahma (or at least voicing him) and decided to stay away from it... yeah... the truth. But Daniel Craig is considering being toa Likahn! AWESOME! Edited by -Windrider-
[sharedmedia=finalCountdown:countdown:3]

lehvak.png

From what I understood. Michael Bay was going to do it, but he found out they wanted Shiah LeBough as Toa Nokahma (or at least voicing him) and decided to stay away from it... yeah... the truth. But Daniel Craig is considering being toa Likahn! AWESOME!

This is obviously not true. Why would they choose a male to voice Nokama?

firesword.gif

From what I understood. Michael Bay was going to do it, but he found out they wanted Shiah LeBough as Toa Nokahma (or at least voicing him) and decided to stay away from it... yeah... the truth. But Daniel Craig is considering being toa Likahn! AWESOME!

This is obviously not true. Why would they choose a male to voice Nokama?

I'm sorry, I meant Vokahma, I always get confused with that! why did they make their names similar any way?

Edited by noversalrex1024

lehvak.png

I think when that live action movie of bionicle comes out (as in they're redoing all the already made films and adding possibly inika and barrakii!) all of it will be fixed!

Not TLG

If it's not being made by TLG then it's not an official Bionicle movie. Lego owns Bionicle.

firesword.gif

Not TLG

If it's not being made by TLG then it's not an official Bionicle movie. Lego owns Bionicle.

of course lego owns it, they wouldn't do that, from what I know, lego doesn't want too much revealed for less pressure, lot's of companies do that to get a quality project without stress. So little information is released. I know why your skeptical about it, I was until I found it on movie insider.com. That site has predicted movies 4 years before they come out! and they've never failed once. They properly investigate the evidence and show what the companies want them to show, so little information is shown, but they do say it's coming and it exists, so it's fine by me. I'm not trying to convince you or force you into believing something, I'm just telling you the info I know.

lehvak.png

Not TLG

>What if the movies were live-action, instead?

I notice people don't agree. Well. That's okay, people have opinions. But according to me trying to look into this and figuring how it will come out. I think rather well. The complaint is suits and CGI? Rediculous. Well. Most movies use actors in suits, models, animotronics, and CGI together. Here's a list:Transformers (some scenes, not many)The thingGodzilla (1998)AVPJurassic parkWar of the worlds (tom Crusie) These are all award winning films. It should work out fine in the end. From what I understood. Michael Bay was going to do it, but he found out they wanted Shiah LeBough as Toa Nokahma (or at least voicing him) and decided to stay away from it... yeah... the truth. But Daniel Craig is considering being toa Likahn! AWESOME!

"Award-winning films" is pretty optimistic. Some of those films, namely Transformers and Godzilla, are generally reviled by audiences.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Okay, I think it's safe to say there isn't a movie being made for bionicle atm.

Also, why does it all have to be CGI? I think it would be a disrespect to the deep Bionicle storyline to give it a childish animation film. I say, have it be shot in real locations but have all the characters be animated, ofc. Like transformers. I don't see what could go wrong with it?

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

Okay, I think it's safe to say there isn't a movie being made for bionicle atm. Also, why does it all have to be CGI? I think it would be a disrespect to the deep Bionicle storyline to give it a childish animation film. I say, have it be shot in real locations but have all the characters be animated, ofc. Like transformers. I don't see what could go wrong with it?

Well, for starters, real locations are harder to control. But additionally, real locations generally wouldn't do the BIONICLE world justice. BIONICLE has its own unique flora, fauna, geography and architecture. Besides some settings like deserts, real-world locations would have to be heavily modified (either digitally or with props) to look anything like the BIONICLE universe's distinctive locations. And that's a lot of expense with no real benefit: CGI settings are MUCH easier to make realistic than CGI characters anyway.Additionally, if you're not going to have human actors, then doing CGI or motion capture for all the characters in a real-life setting is more trouble than it's worth. Again, you're paying more money for less control of the environment and how the characters interact with it.Also, there's nothing remotely childish about animation. Even if there were, BIONICLE was created from beginning to end with kids in mind, and aiming it at adults instead of kids would be doing it a much greater injustice than making it animated. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Okay, I think it's safe to say there isn't a movie being made for bionicle atm. Also, why does it all have to be CGI? I think it would be a disrespect to the deep Bionicle storyline to give it a childish animation film. I say, have it be shot in real locations but have all the characters be animated, ofc. Like transformers. I don't see what could go wrong with it?

Well, for starters, real locations are harder to control. But additionally, real locations generally wouldn't do the BIONICLE world justice. BIONICLE has its own unique flora, fauna, geography and architecture. Besides some settings like deserts, real-world locations would have to be heavily modified (either digitally or with props) to look anything like the BIONICLE universe's distinctive locations. And that's a lot of expense with no real benefit: CGI settings are MUCH easier to make realistic than CGI characters anyway.Additionally, if you're not going to have human actors, then doing CGI or motion capture for all the characters in a real-life setting is more trouble than it's worth. Again, you're paying more money for less control of the environment and how the characters interact with it.Also, there's nothing remotely childish about animation. Even if there were, BIONICLE was created from beginning to end with kids in mind, and aiming it at adults instead of kids would be doing it a much greater injustice than making it animated.

in response to the flora an fauna, it's not really hard for film makers to do that.

Well, for starters, real locations are harder to control. But additionally, real locations generally wouldn't do the BIONICLE world justice. BIONICLE has its own unique flora, fauna, geography and architecture. Besides some settings like deserts, real-world locations would have to be heavily modified (either digitally or with props) to look anything like the BIONICLE universe's distinctive locations. And that's a lot of expense with no real benefit: CGI settings are MUCH easier to make realistic than CGI characters anyway.Additionally, if you're not going to have human actors, then doing CGI or motion capture for all the characters in a real-life setting is more trouble than it's worth. Again, you're paying more money for less control of the environment and how the characters interact with it.Also, there's nothing remotely childish about animation. Even if there were, BIONICLE was created from beginning to end with kids in mind, and aiming it at adults instead of kids would be doing it a much greater injustice than making it animated.

Mostly teenagers liked bionicle any way and they no that. The age group is 5-16. I think PG-13 would be okay, but it'd have to be on the verge of PG and PG-13 to pull it off.

Okay, I think it's safe to say there isn't a movie being made for bionicle atm.

Also, why does it all have to be CGI? I think it would be a disrespect to the deep Bionicle storyline to give it a childish animation film. I say, have it be shot in real locations but have all the characters be animated, ofc. Like transformers. I don't see what could go wrong with it?

I agree.

lehvak.png

Bionicle sets were aimed for kids. Bionicle movies were aimed for kids. The storyline was certainly something that anyone of any age could appreciate.

Star Wars was aimed for adults, but received a major children's audience. You don't think Bionicle could do the same? To simplify GregF's story to make it a children's movie would be like taking Les Miserables and turning it into a kid's film. It is a deep story with adult features (no, i dont mean cussing and other bad stuff, but death, loss, defeat and victory), and I think it should be treated as such, not like the MoL or LoM or WoS movies. I think TLR had it kind of close, though.

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

MoL: More detail/adventures in the villages, and NO SPORTS to decide who lives.

LoMN: Not as many energy-on-energy fights. More character.

WoS: Use those Hordika tools more!!! You've got them as a whole arm!!!

TLR: Sword-guns, seriously? Needs more Skopio, Perditus, Crotecius, and Sahmad.

20630367175_89803378cf_m.jpg19614359428_333d55fdd4_m.jpg20062539664_c9b483986a_m.jpg

I have an Instagram page where you can see these pictures and more like them! Just click

HERE!

Bionicle sets were aimed for kids. Bionicle movies were aimed for kids. The storyline was certainly something that anyone of any age could appreciate. Star Wars was aimed for adults, but received a major children's audience. You don't think Bionicle could do the same? To simplify GregF's story to make it a children's movie would be like taking Les Miserables and turning it into a kid's film. It is a deep story with adult features (no, i dont mean cussing and other bad stuff, but death, loss, defeat and victory), and I think it should be treated as such, not like the MoL or LoM or WoS movies. I think TLR had it kind of close, though.

The story was something many age groups could appreciate, but it was aimed at kids and young teenagers just as much in every medium. Older teenagers and adults were just a periphery demographic, just like they are for pretty much every LEGO theme.Even the story written by Greg Farshtey was always aimed at the same demographic as the sets. The main reason there were more violent moments in the books and serials than in the movies and comics is because violence in a visual medium like comics and movies is far scarier for kids and adults alike than violent imagery in written form. Writing for film is a lot different than writing literature, even if you're targeting the exact same demographic. And this, not the target audience, is why Greg Farshtey's books might need to be simplified or changed if they were made into movies.Also note that death, loss, defeat, and victory were all elements of the BIONICLE movies from the very beginning. Even if Jaller, Takanuva, and Makuta didn't die permanently, and their deaths were not gruesome, they still left a very real sense of loss until the resolution of the film, and Mask of Light even allowed Takanuva and the Matoran time to mourn. Meanwhile, in the second film Lhikan died more or less permanently. So I don't see why you think these features were absent in the movies any more than they were in many of Greg Farshtey's own books and comics (no characters, good or evil, died in BIONICLE Adventures #1 and BIONICLE Adventures #3, and even after the BIONICLE Legends series took the books into darker territory, BIONICLE Legends #10 did not include a single character death). Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

The reason they seem absent to me is the graphics, to be completely honest. Cartoons die in TV shows and it doesn't move you as much as when Jack Bauer get's betrayed in 24, or when Optimus Prime get's killed in TF2, or when Enjrolas is killed in Les Miserables. It's just that the dialogue and behaviors (and appearances) of the characters in the Bionicle films made it hard for me to see much depth to it.

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

Except that the elemental energy was coming from the person themselves, and not their weapon. They were magical weapons. They do not even come close to anyone's definition of a 'gun'.

I agree. Not magical though. Just abilities and weapons with abilities (my opinion).

lehvak.png

I dunno if this was brough up before, but I think the movies could have used elemental powers. For example, Takanuva using light beams (like in Dark Mirror), Nokama shooting water, that kinda stuff.

If this was already brought up, please forgive me. I obviously forgot if such a post exists in this topic.

mindeth the cobwebs

I dunno if this was brough up before, but I think the movies could have used elemental powers. For example, Takanuva using light beams (like in Dark Mirror), Nokama shooting water, that kinda stuff.

If this was already brought up, please forgive me. I obviously forgot if such a post exists in this topic.

The Toa didn't use their powers in LoMN because they overused them during the quest for the Great Disks and battle with the Morbuzakh.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I hope that the live action bionicle movies that'll be coming look like these videos combined:

Edit: I'm sorry, but currently members are not allowed to link to that site on BZPower as stated in the Advertising Policy. If you are able to find the videos hosted on Vimeo, then that would be a viable substitute. If you have questions about this policy, feel free to PM either me or Black Six.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

lehvak.png