BZPRPG News and Discussion

Nuju Metru

They've got a page for all three BZPRPGs on TVTropes, and for some reason all three have equal amounts of relevant content, despite the fact that one lasted the better part of a decade, one only lasted a couple years, and one lasted only a few months.

...it kinda needs some updating.  :P

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

They've got a page for all three BZPRPGs on TVTropes, and for some reason all three have equal amounts of relevant content, despite the fact that one lasted the better part of a decade, one only lasted a couple years, and one lasted only a few months.

...it kinda needs some updating.   :P

So some guy called Stronin already used unlimited blade works?

, I thought I was being original

...but close to it

There is no originality in the BZPRPG, only stuff that people have forgotten was already done.

Besides, unlimited blade works is too cool not to have already been done by somebody.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

I used a giant tree as a sword in my noob days which aaaaaaaren't really over yet.

ALL HAIL THE TREESWORD

A giant tree.

THE TREESWORD IS LOVE, THE TREESWORD IS LIFE

And I was up against some of the best RPers in this joint.

BOW IN SUBMISSION TO THE TREESWORD, PEONS

So, before you people say that you're noobs... Yeah XD

• Upvote 2

No such thing as destiny.

BZPRPG Profiles

Okay.... sounds like I missed, well, a lot.

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

You guys have no idea how tempted I was to play as a Toa of Iron with a Sanok just so I could go Archer on everyone I meet.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Not many people seem to use the Sanok, I've noticed. 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Which is weird, because accuracy is another power that can be really easily abused for fun and profit.

Most people tend to enjoy close range combat more. Masks like the Sanok have somewhat limited usefulness at that range.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Not necessarily. For example, I gave my Sanok to a knife-throwing Toa of Plasma. That's great for mid to close range combat. 

Not necessarily. For example, I gave my Sanok to a knife-throwing Toa of Plasma. That's great for mid to close range combat. 

Throwing a knife at close range is just kinda wasteful. :P Mid-range, maybe, but even then you're still within pretty easy reach of weapons more suited for that area. Sanok-aimed knife is really most optimal at low long range, high mid range.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

Normally I'd agree that throwing a knife at close range is wasteful. But if the thrower is using a Sanok, there is pretty much no way in karz that they could possibly miss. Unfortunately, I've never had a chance to test that theory, since my Sanok-wearing Toa hasn't been in a fight yet. 

It isn't a matter of missing; if a knife thrower misses at close, or even mid, range they aren't very good at their job. It's wasteful because at close, or mid, range, a thrown knife is going to have both limited force and a limited target area due to the constraints of movement. If you want to throw a knife at the chest, even with a Sanok, you're going to have to line that shot up, and make the movement. That's time enough for any halfway decent combatant to take advantage of the opening those necessary movements create.

At close range, you're going to find yourself stabbed before you finish the throw. Even if you don't, you've just thrown a weapon away; a weapon that, unless you've gotten a very lucky break, hasn't incapacitated your opponent. At mid you run the same risk, because you're still within easy reach of a large number of (common) melee weapons.

Maybe you'll catch more breaks that I think, but a decent close or mid range combatant may very well make you into a pincushion. :P

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Note to self: invest in more effective Sanok usage strategies...

On that note, my character also wields a bow, but she doesn't have much skill with it. Now, according to BS01, The Sanok allows its user to turn virtually any inanimate object into a projectile weapon and hit almost any target they aim for.

So does this mean her aim with the bow would still have a very good chance of hitting a target, thanks to her mask rather than her own skill? By extension, does this mena that any person with a Sanok could theoretically pick up any projectile weapon or object, and still have improved accuracy, without having any experience with said weapon or object? 

Edited by NatoGreavesy

[Continued Laughter]

I said that its usefulness was limited, not that it was useless.

So does this mean her aim with the bow would still have a very good chance of hitting a target, thanks to her mask rather than her own skill? By extension, does this mena that any person with a Sanok could theoretically pick up any projectile weapon or object, and still have improved accuracy, without having any experience with said weapon or object?

The main canon example I remember of its use was with a rock so...

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

It isn't a matter of missing; if a knife thrower misses at close, or even mid, range they aren't very good at their job. It's wasteful because at close, or mid, range, a thrown knife is going to have both limited force and a limited target area due to the constraints of movement. If you want to throw a knife at the chest, even with a Sanok, you're going to have to line that shot up, and make the movement. That's time enough for any halfway decent combatant to take advantage of the opening those necessary movements create.

At close range, you're going to find yourself stabbed before you finish the throw. Even if you don't, you've just thrown a weapon away; a weapon that, unless you've gotten a very lucky break, hasn't incapacitated your opponent. At mid you run the same risk, because you're still within easy reach of a large number of (common) melee weapons.

Maybe you'll catch more breaks that I think, but a decent close or mid range combatant may very well make you into a pincushion. :P

If a knife thrower throws knives at close range, the knife thrower isn't very smart.  Be realistic, man.

Not to mention the mask would still be helpful.  If I remember the canon properly, it doesn't just help your aim, it also helps you figure out what you want to aim at in the first place.  (Granted, Hewkii could have managed to guess about the chain reaction thing and only needed the mask's help dropping it in just the right manner, but somehow I doubt it.)

On that note, my character also wields a bow, but she doesn't have much skill with it. Now, according to BS01, The Sanok allows its user to turn virtually any inanimate object into a projectile weapon and hit almost any target they aim for.

That's how I read it.

ppg2.png

Yes and no. Yes, they would have improved accuracy. But if a Sanok-user suddenly got, say, a sniper rifle, they wouldn't know how to operate it at first. Once they knew how it worked, the improvement would kick in. Until they knew how to fire it, they might as well throw it.

Same with a bow. If they know how to use one, they're good. If they don't, well, again, might as well throw it.

EDIT: I almost forgot. The Sanok provides a boost, but it isn't really a complete substitution for know-how. Take the bow again, to use a pertinent example; that shot she fires will be quite accurate, but she still won't be good at using the bow. Actually preparing and taking her next shot will still be much worse than someone who has trained with a bow. Similarly, a Sanok user won't be able to deal with, say, the recoil of a firearm without practice.

Edited by Ninth Krayzikk
  • Upvote 2

fK5oqYf.jpg

The reason the Sanok isn't as OP as you think is because it doesn't account for the other character's actions. Sure, you might be able to throw a rock aimed right between someone's eyes... but what if they move?

Or what if the Sanok allows you to account for their movement, but they have a shield?

Or what if they just burn the projectile up in midair?

The Sanok is useful, no question about it, but there's a difference between being able to hit any target you aim for and actually being able to do damage to that target.

A while back someone mentioned starting a group of mercenaries/bounty hunters/assassins/other assorted criminals and outcasts, somewhat akin to the Dark Hunters; did that ever go anywhere?

:a::k::i:

• Upvote 1

Xbox LIVE: FlamingCheese77

BZPRPG Profiles: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/9733-bzprpg-profile-pages/?p=547516

~Ignitus~Rerus~Xadah~Moeru~Rida~Turi~Sokia~Kashikoi~Yujin~Bani~Waru~Tasuke~Therin~Diabhal~

Yeah, PM Requiem if you're interested. Follow the Ta topic if you want to read what we've been up to so far (not much; just recruiting one guy and making plans for our first big act in Ko-Koro). We'll put a proper introductory post in this topic at some point. 

A link to our wiki page is in my sig, too, if anyone wants to have a read of that.

Edited by NatoGreavesy

Yes it has Nold, thanks for asking! The group, known as the Outsiders, has just taken off in the Ta-Wahi topic. It currently consists of 8 members, with 3 recruits on the way.

The only rule is that your character must be on the neutral spectrum of alignment. Yes, the group is motivated towards certain goals, thanks to its lawfully inclined IC leaders, but your character does not have to care about the group's motives. In fact, many are just in it for the money. In order to join IC, your character must pledge loyalty to the group as a whole, however, and prove their skills in battle (which is pretty much a given, you don't literally have to work to win the fight). Once they're in, they'll be assigned missions, and will receive full payment for completing tasks successfully. They will also receive a small, continuous payment for simply being in the group, as well as free lodging and the like.

Here's the wiki page for additional info: http://bzprpg.wikia.com/wiki/The_Outsiders

If you want in, please PM me :) The Outsiders are always open to new recruits (and always seeking them out), so I encourage you to join, even if you're just slightly interested. My hope is to establish a large neutral force within the game, and just provide more fun interaction in general for everyone involved.

On a side note, if anyone needs dirty work done and you're willing to pay us for it, I would LOVE to oblige. If you have ideas for anything, I am always open to getting the group involved. :D So yeah. Hit me up.

Hey, Requiem! Mind if I hold off on joining for a bit? I'd really like the position of 13th member for Verulas' "Spectre" persona...

• Upvote 1

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

No. 

Speaking of which, Dayeth could really use a hand right now. 

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/11188-bzprpg-ko-wahi/page-44?do=findComment&comment=749868

Edited by NatoGreavesy