Best year for Bionicle?

Underscore

Story: 2006-2008

SO MANY revelations! All the plots started to connect with each other, the serials started to come into their own, and we actually saw what most of the MU was kinda like.

In 2006 the universe started to really expand and just balloon, creating what really felt like a world of its own.

Sets-wise: Hard to say. I was never really good at building, and my MoCs were... How do I put this... Downright dreadful.

My motor skills were(and still are, though not as bad thank goodness) terrible. Ball and Socket joint? I would struggle for two minutes to fit them in properly. Axles and pins? Never did I once push them in properly.

And Oh Mata Nui the colour sense!

Nostalgia: All were pretty nostalgic, but 2006-2008 would be the most. It was then that I discovered the novels, web serials, online games, online comics and all the stuff I really loved(and still love) about Bionicle. The story.

Of course, biggest nostalgia would be Lego Magazine featuring Bionicle or Bionicle catalogues featuring the Toa Mata.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a tough question. I mean, 2007 had a nice setting, and so did 2008. 2007 had awesome sets, and so did 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2008. All of them except 2009 had an interesting story. 2001-2003 had awesome flash animations. 2001, 2002, 2008, and 2010 had Tahu. 2005 had a somewhat dark tone though, like 2006. They're all great, though.

But which one is the best? Well, I WOULD say 2007 or 2008...but then there's that one year that I'm pretty sure everyone liked...

2003. It barely is better than 2007 and 2008, imo

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

I have to say 2006.

I didn't like the technic builds *prepares for angry swarm* the arms just were annoying for me, swinging back and forth unless you had specific pieces that stopped them.

The Inika build was my favourite. Poseable and bigger than before. Plus I loved the masks and armour, not to mention the translucent pieces.

The story, I think, was great as well. Six matoran go "rogue" (well, not really) and become Toa, in a race against time to save the dying Mata Nui.

Also the Piraka were great. They were individual villains, which wasn't really seen before save Makuta, Sidorak, Roodoka, and a couple others. They also had internal problems, scheming and having no trust for another.

Then finally the matoran. The whole "resistance" aspect was pretty neat, proving that even a couple matoran can do something against six powerful beings.

Anyway, that's just my two cents.

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villains and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people, people he's never met before and who don't know his name, can live." -Hahli

No competition at all.

The best ever.

10/10

When is the GoTY edition of Agori Defender coming?

OMEGA TAHU!

ALPHA TAKANUVA!

DELTA GRESH!

Those big Toa, no one has anything on them.

The evil menacing rahkshi, don't need no kraata.

The best rappers in the MU, the Piraka Nektaan!

Servants of the biggest tumour in the world, SKRALL! or Atakus with a Kopaka sword. Still awesome.

Best story.

Awesome ending.

Nothing can compare, and you know it. You just don't want to admit it.

Edited by Boidoh
  • Upvote 2

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I enjoyed 2006 a whole lot.  There was tons interesting story twists in the main storyline (havn't followed the side-stories tbh), but the sets were really cool as well.  The Zamor spheres were fun to play with.  Story-wise, an island overun by piraka disguised as toa and matoran barely surviving.  It was very fun stuff, especially when the Toa Inika came along and really put up a fight.  At least in the comics it was very cool, and I think I had almost every single set that year.  Even that gold piraka-combination or whatever.  

That's just my perspective. 

Ghost_in_the_Shell_Sig_by_aose.jpg

"And where does the newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite."

Set wise, 2007 onwards, when the builds became a lot more diverse and sophisticated.

Story wise, I'd say the same time frame. 2007+

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

No competition at all.

The best ever.

10/10

OMEGA TAHU!

ALPHA TAKANUVA!

DELTA GRESH!

Servants of the biggest tumour in the world, SKRALL! or Atakus with a Kopaka sword. Still awesome.

Best story.

Awesome ending.

It was too rushed to be the best story

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• 1 month later...

2008 no contest for me. 

01-03 are all tied in second, but 08 blows the others out of the water. All loose ends tied up in one swoop, and the story just captured the finale-like tone the whole time. not a second went by that i didnt sit on the edge of my seat while reading the books, and the same goes for building the sets. most of the figures were designed well, especially the vehicles. 

Knock Knock

Who's there

Hoff

Hoff who

Yes

The very start of 2006 was one of my favorite times for the story. It felt like everything was coming together and moving forward all at the same time. The Nuva, the Piraka, the Matoran returning to Metru Nui, the Matoran of Voya Nui, Vakama and Dume reuniting, etc.

2008 was great, too, and I for one absolutely loved how the series ended in 2010. I never followed the serials, so most of the ends were tied up for me. While the whole thing was clearly rushed, the scale of things blew me away. Giant robot vs. giant robot, Makuta vs. Mata Nui, and the reuniting of Spherus Magna. Personally, I felt extremely satisfied by it all. 

No competition at all.

The best ever.

10/10

OMEGA TAHU!

ALPHA TAKANUVA!

DELTA GRESH!

Servants of the biggest tumour in the world, SKRALL! or Atakus with a Kopaka sword. Still awesome.

Best story.

Awesome ending.

I actually didn't realize 2010 was part of the canonical story until reading the comics years later.

2006. I loved the Piraka and the attitude-change they brought, I loved the Inika sets because they actually had bendy arms and legs and were symmetrical and their masks were cool, unlike their predecessors the Hordika. The titans were simply amazing, each was different and had their own "personality" and the Kardas Dragon was probably the best combiner in all the years. Plus, it was the year we got Vezon. :ahhh:

• Upvote 1

I have to say that I loved all the years of Bionicle so it is very hard for me to choose just one so I'll say what I liked about every year and then say my favorite.

2001- this was the year that started it all, and I have to say that this year had the best masks of all the years

2002- this year had the Bohrok, who were a brilliant villain for the Bionicles to go up against. The Titans this year were pretty good as well

2003- this was the year that I finally began to get really into Bionicle. I loved the Bohrok-Kal and the Rahkshi, as well as the Toa Nuva. I liked the movie at the time and this year had all of the most iconic Titans for a long time: Makuta, Takanuva, and peaceful Rahi!

2005: While the Toa Hordika were not great, the year featured my two favorite Toa: Norik and Iruini. It also had one of my favorite Titans, Keetongu

2006: I liked the Titans, but nothing else comes to mind as being special for that year. I really disliked the Piraka, whose constant betraying got old very quickly.

2007: Some of the Barraki were brilliant as well as the Toa Mahri, but this year had some disasters like the Gadunka.

2008: This year had the highest potential, and it did its best to live up to it. If they had had more of a final battle-ish style and a less underwhelming summer sets, this would have been my favorite:) I'm getting Takanuva this Friday so it may go up in my estimation:)

2004 was my favorite year, because I love the Toa Metru and the titans more than any other year because of their looks, cool powers, and their place in the storyline.

2009- while the worst year for the story, my favorite year for just the sets:)

One word... design!

The bohrok were so unique that they made 12 of them :P And there were the first vehicles (boxor) and mechs (exo-toa)! And still the mystery of mata nui. And for the first time, there is grave danger, while the rahi were a danger too, but the bohrok were tearing the island literally to (lego) pieces.

They made 12 of them. Twelve.

I love all the years of Bionicle, but some of them are more loved than others. I guess '04 is my favorite. We finally got to see that there was a larger world to explore outside of Mata Nui. As much as I loved the Mata Nui years, they were really repetitive. I could give the same accurate summary of all four Mata Nui storylines with just the names ad lib-ed out. '04 finally did something different with the story, which is luckily a trend that lasted for the entire rest of the run. The Turaga finally got some character development, and I loved the city setting. The movie for that year was also my favorite Bionicle movie.

Second place would have to go to '06. I have always loved the Matoran characters. Even if they were now Toa, it was great spending time with them. I loved that the rest of the MU was being explored. I also liked that the Dark Hunters were seriously expanded upon and that the Order Of Mata Nui was introduced. As much as people say that 2006 was way too dark, it was barely any darker than 2005. I also liked VNOG and the GBA version of Bionicle Heroes.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

2005. No joke.

Sure, the Hordika weren't symmetric, but story wise they were mutants, so it made sense. The Rahaga looked like chibi Rakshii, both hilarious and cute. The Visorak were very spider-like and I loved how you can make their jaws snap. But the titants take the cake: well-built, and a lot of fun to play with.

The story was my favorite too, with the Toa having to fight their inner beast and re-find unity. The Hagah backstory was cool, showing the Rahaga weren't wierd sages, but old Toa mutated. And all of the Visorak horde and it's leaders was a mystery that ended up connecting to Makuta, showing us that he didn't work alone.

In the end, it may be nostalgia talking, but if it wasn't for 2005, I wouln'd have become a Bionicle fan.

My favorites would be 2001 and 2006. 2001 because it was so fresh and exciting, 2006 because I loved the new dark tone it took with the Inika and I enjoyed the Piraka greatly. 2006 also had Axonn and Brutaka ftw.

Some honorable mentions would be the first Metru Nui year since the build was such an amazing upgrade after the Toa Nuva and whatnot and probably 2008 for the titan sets.

Although 2001-2004 were all solid years, 2003 is easily my pick. For me, both the story and sets for Mask of Light are the standouts of the series. I also like the Bohrok Kal's polished look over the originals. The inclusion of the Vahi was also pretty exciting after being so mysterious for two years.

2008 is also a stand-out years in my book, the realization of Mata Nui and the final stages of Makuta's plan were such a huge payoff after seven years of story. The sets, however, left a lot to be desired; it was disappointing to have the six Toa be so disconnected. Though I do really like Toa Ignika and Takanuva. :pakari:

Edited by OnuaNut
[ blog ] onuanutbannermnolgstyle.jpg  [ Flickr ]

I really enjoy the earlier years of Bionicle, as well as later but the first years just had this kind of magic and mystery to it and I loved it all. I loved paying mnog back in 2001 even though I could never reach the end! Still, the sets are amazing. The toa and Turaga masks were also the best bionicle has to offer in terms of masks and colors, and also had the rahi which were some of my favorite sets of all time. I loved the whole war between the tohunga and the rahi animals. It really was Biological chronicle!

I also love 2003-04 from the mask of light to the big story revelations made in metru-nui. Bionicle really has never disappointed me except around the later years even though I still love the later years and story.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a good question, very hard to answer. Story-wise, I can think of good for every year/arc -

While 2001-03 were fairly simple and repetitive, they really got the world building down to a tee and it was impressive to see all the work that had gone into the design of the island of Mata Nui - the different regions, villages, even the Kanohi mask concepts. Filled with mystery and mysticism, these first three years were an amazing introduction to the world of BIONICLE.

2004-05 really expanded the world, the world-building still intact but in a much wider scale. The story was much more original and fleshed-out in different forms of media including a plethora of books, and a lot of secrets were revealed that changed what we knew about the franchise forever.

Then came 06-08, arguably the most action-packed arc as Toa faced off against much more nasty foes with their own personalities, and that created some real drama and tension as the stakes were raised each year. The addition of story serials really added a lot more to the story than ever before.

2009 was supposed to be a clean-slate, but ended up dabbling in its potential, rather taking a full dive. Mata Nui was there, and that was exciting, but it didn't have the gravitas of the previous years which was unfortunate. And of course, the abrupt ending in 2010 was nothing to write home about, though it did the best it could with what little time they had to wrap it up.

It seems the majority of people like the same years: 2003, 2004, and 2006. These were years that really opened up BIONICLE. 2003 had the feature film and the novels; 2004's change of setting was met with significant supplementary story material and a new direction; 2006 upped the stakes and changed the tone of the franchise entirely. Each were huge moments in the history of the franchise, and interestingly enough were some of the most successful years for BIONICLE.

My favourite year, however, was definitely 2008. Many people have stated their opinions on why and I find myself agreeing. An epic story that never let up until the fantastic twist-of-a-finale, with many fan-favourites returning and revisiting of major plot-points being built on since BIONICLE's conception in 2001. This was the year that everyone was waiting for - the year the Toa Nuva would fulfill their destiny and restart the heart of the universe. I was so into that year that I read every novel, every serial and followed the story as well as I could, whereas I had not done so before. (I always read the novels a couple of months later, and put off serials). A truly captivating year for fans of the beginning.

Set-wise... 2008 was rather disappointing. I don't need to mention why. Choosing a best year for sets is infinitely more difficult than the story, because the evolution of set-design has been so diverse that it's hard to really choose a definitive year.

I'd like to say 2003, because the innovation of the Rahkshi and the titans, but then I remember the Bohrok Kal. I want to choose 2004, but I remember the Vahki. 2005 had great titans, but so did the next 4 years. 2006 introduced the Piraka/Inika design, which I liked but unfortunately remain bitter at because of the overuse of it right up to the Glatorian of 2009.

In the end, it's close. 2001 had amazing colour schemes, great play features, well-built Rahi sets and variation among all characters. 2007 also had original designs and excellent ideas but still suffered from a wave more inferior to another (Mahri vs Barraki, the Mahri were alright but still relied too much on the Inika/Piraka designs). 

I have to say 2002. Yes, the Bohrok were clone-sets, and they spawned the cloniest clones of clones in the Bohrok Kal. But those sets were awesome. They had 3 play features. Each had nice colours and a smaller version of it to go along with. Summer 2002 brought the Toa Nuva, who were beefed up versions of the original and looked cool in every respect.

And the large sets. Boxor and Exo-Toa represent some of the more-original and inspired designs. And finally, the Bahrag - a monument to LEGO Technic that has one of the most intriguing and complex designs in BIONICLE history, only matched by vehicles in 2008/2009. Massive and full of play features, these titans perhaps had the best mix between design creativity and playability.

so tldr; 2008 story, 2002 sets.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg