Bzprpg News And Discussion

Friar Tuck

That's right, but it's more than just the Maori. The connections run deeper than that.New Zealand is the home of the Maori people, whose language LEGO "borrowed" to make the Matoran language, much of which is still in use in the story. Both are archipelagos surrounded by huge oceans, and are made up of such diverse environments as icy mountain ranges, volcanic hotspots, large lowland forests, extensive coastline and many waterways, underground cave networks and dry deserts. Both are known for their rather unusual animals. In fact, the flora and fauna of both islands are similar, often carbon copies. Remember the Moa bird? The description we have lines up with this NZ native called "moa", some species of which lived in dry areas similar to Po-wahi. Also, the harakeke plant from MNOG 2 was surprisingly similar to this real world plant, also known to Maori as "harakeke". Wouldn't you know it, it grows well it wet areas, and the fibers was used extensively by Maori to make many things from rope to clothes, bags and anything else you care to mention. The fibres were often extracted from the plant's leaves by rubbing them with a seashell. Sound familiar? Yeah.Mata Nui practically is New Zealand, adapted for a fantasy setting. There are so many links that I could almost play them as the same place (excapt the NZ does not have a population of magical nanotech beings, sadly). It is possible, without much of a stretch, to assume some New Zealand things will apply to Mata Nui. I'll give an example. A few months ago, one of my characters was stuck in the Le-wahi jungle. He had no supplies or anything else with him, and he eventually got pretty hungry. Now, obviously, he could capture some sort of local rahi and eat that - he's not a picky eater. So I trundle off to BS01 to find out what sort of rahi might be available to catch, and discovered the pokawi. Now, there wasn't much information in the article about this rahi - just its appearance and a brief description of its habitat in Le-wahi. All in all, I found it strikingly similar to the takahe, a bird native to New Zealand. Given all of the above similarities between NZ and MN, it wasn't too much of a stretch for me to assume that the pokawi was the BIONICLE equivalent of the takahe and ascribe to it a few of the Takahe's characteristics in order to describe it better.

ppg2.png

I am so glad people realize just how much canon is true here. My mind is now partially at peace.Bionicle has always been dominantly robotic, with enough organic involved to create the tribal culture, environments, and "squishy bits" as people call them in the RPG. We're going '01 classic on the theme here, right? That puts us at sets=only possible canon representation and the Greg Ratio for mech to organic.Thank you, Lorax, for your in-depth response, and Hubert, for your...Hubertness.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Hello Horde-members! I have finally got a chance to catch up on all events and that means the Skakdi are getting moving!So, all of you who have a Skakdi in the horde, we'll be moving to the Kumu-Islets soon and I think we can raisea little Karzhani there, while the biggest villains attack Pala Koro.

Lillith.thumb.png.4ea877d95fad8df467748273ab43bc36.png

That's right, but it's more than just the Maori. The connections run deeper than that.New Zealand is the home of the Maori people, whose language LEGO "borrowed" to make the Matoran language, much of which is still in use in the story. Both are archipelagos surrounded by huge oceans, and are made up of such diverse environments as icy mountain ranges, volcanic hotspots, large lowland forests, extensive coastline and many waterways, underground cave networks and dry deserts. Both are known for their rather unusual animals. In fact, the flora and fauna of both islands are similar, often carbon copies. Remember the Moa bird? The description we have lines up with this NZ native called "moa", some species of which lived in dry areas similar to Po-wahi. Also, the harakeke plant from MNOG 2 was surprisingly similar to this real world plant, also known to Maori as "harakeke". Wouldn't you know it, it grows well it wet areas, and the fibers was used extensively by Maori to make many things from rope to clothes, bags and anything else you care to mention. The fibres were often extracted from the plant's leaves by rubbing them with a seashell. Sound familiar? Yeah.Mata Nui practically is New Zealand, adapted for a fantasy setting. There are so many links that I could almost play them as the same place (excapt the NZ does not have a population of magical nanotech beings, sadly). It is possible, without much of a stretch, to assume some New Zealand things will apply to Mata Nui. I'll give an example. A few months ago, one of my characters was stuck in the Le-wahi jungle. He had no supplies or anything else with him, and he eventually got pretty hungry. Now, obviously, he could capture some sort of local rahi and eat that - he's not a picky eater. So I trundle off to BS01 to find out what sort of rahi might be available to catch, and discovered the pokawi. Now, there wasn't much information in the article about this rahi - just its appearance and a brief description of its habitat in Le-wahi. All in all, I found it strikingly similar to the takahe, a bird native to New Zealand. Given all of the above similarities between NZ and MN, it wasn't too much of a stretch for me to assume that the pokawi was the BIONICLE equivalent of the takahe and ascribe to it a few of the Takahe's characteristics in order to describe it better.
You. Are. Genius.Next time I get in an argument I should Hire you to do research and enforce my opinions :PI'm so glad I have someone better than me on My Ta-Koro Guard Squad XD Edited by Bulik

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Wow. And I thought rubbing plants with seashells was a stupid way to make rope.
Put that one down to fact being stranger than fiction.
You. Are. Genius.Next time I get in an argument I should Hire you to do research and enforce my opinions :PI'm so glad I have someone better than me on My Ta-Koro Guard Squad XD
Not so much genius or research as that I happen to live in the right part of the world. Maori language an culture is a pretty big deal in New Zealand, so it's hard not to pick up a few things. It can be dead useful too, in a game like this. Once, I passed off a maori proverb as the Skakdi language when it fit the situation particularly well.Since you mention the guard squad, I'll admit that I did throw some more stuff in there. I thought it would be a nice to have a connection between all my characters' names as well as their job, so I used the three big volcanic cones in the centre fo the North Island, Ruapehu, Tongariro, and Ngaruahoe. Further to the west is another volcano called Taranaki. All of them feature prominently in Maroi legend, along with a smaller lady-mountain, Pihanga. Not much of a mountain really, more like a big hill, but apparently she was considered very beautiful by volcano standards, and the other mountains all fought for her affections (remember these guys are volcanoes - the end result wasn't pretty). I didn't use so much of the mythology of them, but I did take the names of my Ta-matoran.That's some of how I take advantage of the similarities between MN and NZ, but I know I'm not the only one doing it, at least as far as the Maori language is concerned. Parakuka, Utu, Tuatara... It seems that quite a few others have cottoned onto the sil=milarities and have been using them as well.

ppg2.png

*Goes off to learn everything about New Zealand without leaving the USA*

But why stay where you are when you can experience it for real? Tourism is also a big deal in New Zealand. /shameless advertising.But yeah, if anybody wants to know this sort of thing, feel free to PM me. I don't claim to be any kind of expert, but I'll happily share the knowledge I do have.

ppg2.png

Yes! Valria is Diligence! Thank you judges!The FoM makes it move today, the stealth team gets only one post after the gates opens, then again I can see this being a difficulty for people that have already waited. Anyways, be reasonable, be realistic, and have fun!I apologize for my long absence but a whole host of things of which I could not foresee basically bound my hands. This will not happen again.

gallery_99567_147_39590.jpg

Hello Horde-members! I have finally got a chance to catch up on all events and that means the Skakdi are getting moving!So, all of you who have a Skakdi in the horde, we'll be moving to the Kumu-Islets soon and I think we can raisea little Karzhani there, while the biggest villains attack Pala Koro.
Awesome, glad to see us moving again. :)Remind me though, why are we having one of us separate from the main group and take the long trek to the islets?

Yes! Valria is Diligence! Thank you judges!The FoM makes it move today, the stealth team gets only one post after the gates opens, then again I can see this being a difficulty for people that have already waited. Anyways, be reasonable, be realistic, and have fun!I apologize for my long absence but a whole host of things of which I could not foresee basically bound my hands. This will not happen again.
Zadron is now at the disposal of the infiltration team. I think he's ideally suited to it ;)

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Oh karz.... the pala-koro fight is gonna happen soon. *shakes uncontrollably in fear of the massive damage that is inevitable*

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Unfortunately, I do not have the time for this anymore. Anyone who wants to use my characters can, but they have to try and make then seem like I had them.Oh, and people with chars in the Hau Karda get first pick.
It's sad to see you go, NStephenH, but thanks for letting us know rather than just dropping off the end. I'll try to keep ypur characters alive if possible, but I don't know if I'd take them all on myself. Maybe all the team players could RP them together? They wouldn't belong to any one person, then, but everyone would be able to keep them going when they needed it.

ppg2.png

Well, once the demolition team makes it inside the village, it'll be a free for all. remember: the field doesn't work inside Pala-Koro
Yeah, I think everyone who hadn't already known figured it out during the huge argument a few weeks ago. After the months of slow buildup and false alarms, I can hardly believe it's actually happening (I think).

To be clear for this fight -Once inside the Pala-Koro, all elemental powers can be used until you are trying to use it on something outside the village.So, it seems like its semi-started......I hate how people finally post how their chars are 'going to start a fight', and then the fight doesn't start until much later :P

GT: Jl1223 X <----add me :3

(╯◕_◕)╯

BZPRPG Profiles 2013