OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

On the Inside Tour, during the Bionicle design presentation, I remember one of the concept artworks for the summer wave featuring a winged, flying villain, while none of the final sets had any such features. It's entirely possible that they originally intended to have a villain for every one of the Toa, but sales data only supported a smaller summer wave, requiring that one of the sets be aborted early on.

You mean it's possible we could have had a Skull Vulture (or Skull Scavanger, equally likely.) alongside these other skeleton guys?

Great, now the summer wave feels a bit emptier to me. ;o;

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I'm digging the new videos and good to know for sure that there are at least 2 Skull Scorpios, and they look so much better in the animation. I love how bulky and intimidating Basher is and Kulta certainly rekt face. Ekimu has some mad skillz too.

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

-snip-

The role of the Protectors is quite similar to the Turaga (minus their role as former Toa), while Ekimu's role is somewhat akin to Artakha or Mata Nui (though substantially different, thanks to not being a giant robot and having a direct, equal, and familial relationship with Makuta). The characters may be different, but that doesn't prevent them from taking inspiration from elements of the classic story.

MINUS THEIR ROLE AS FORMER TOA

We don't know that.

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

On the Inside Tour, during the Bionicle design presentation, I remember one of the concept artworks for the summer wave featuring a winged, flying villain, while none of the final sets had any such features. It's entirely possible that they originally intended to have a villain for every one of the Toa, but sales data only supported a smaller summer wave, requiring that one of the sets be aborted early on.

Could you tell is more about this presentation? It sounds really interesting.

Hail Denmark

1438007965366.jpg

More new story info: http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle/okoto/city-of-the-mask-makers

Interesting bit: "It was once a place of wonder and beautiful landscapes, but currently the city is in a state of stasis, frozen in time."

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

-snip-

The role of the Protectors is quite similar to the Turaga (minus their role as former Toa), while Ekimu's role is somewhat akin to Artakha or Mata Nui (though substantially different, thanks to not being a giant robot and having a direct, equal, and familial relationship with Makuta). The characters may be different, but that doesn't prevent them from taking inspiration from elements of the classic story.

MINUS THEIR ROLE AS FORMER TOA

We don't know that.

I mean, we kind of do. The Protectors follow a direct line of succession, with Protector being an inherited position. Also, if there were any way for villagers or Protectors to become Toa, the whole ritual involving the Mask of Time to summon heroes would seem pretty unnecessary, wouldn't it? In all likelihood, the Toa in the story are the first Toa to set foot on Okoto at least since Ekimu and Makuta's showdown.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

1438007965366.jpg

More new story info: http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle/okoto/city-of-the-mask-makers

Interesting bit: "It was once a place of wonder and beautiful landscapes, but currently the city is in a state of stasis, frozen in time."

New story infooooo.

• Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Oh gosh, that's An amazing easter egg, referencing the Kakama and Pakari like that. Maybe the masks Ekimu forges will have mask powers along with elemental powers? Also "the great cataclysm". Referencesss.

Edited by BlatantlyHeroic
  • Upvote 3

Hey if you look at the forge entrance image you'll see that the statues aren't that of Ekimu and Makuta and don't seem to look like any of the sets we've gotten this year....

I'm pretty sure those are just the Ekimu/Makuta build wearing the Protector mask.

Hail Denmark

Oh gosh, that's An amazing easter egg, referencing the Kakama and Pakari like that. Maybe the masks Ekimu forges will have mask powers along with elemental powers?

Perhaps! Ekimu being revived definitely seems like a great avenue for character upgrades next year, since he could potentially forge new masks or maybe even new armor for the Toa.

• Upvote 3

Oh gosh, that's An amazing easter egg, referencing the Kakama and Pakari like that. Maybe the masks Ekimu forges will have mask powers along with elemental powers?

Perhaps! Ekimu being revived definitely seems like a great avenue for character upgrades next year, since he could potentially forge new masks or maybe even new armor for the Toa.

Just like Artakha.

• Upvote 1

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

What if it were pushed into 2016?

You seem to have deleted whatever you meant to quote, but I assume you're talking about a hypothetical sixth Skull Villain. It's certainly POSSIBLE that such a set were postponed a year, but I doubt it. Next year's sets will likely have their own unique aesthetic, overarching theme, and unique set of collectibles. It would certainly be odd (and frankly, unprecedented) for them to try and shoehorn a villain planned for this year into next year's sets. And if they did end up doing so, that figure might be substantially redesigned to fit that year's theme (which, unfortunately, would likely rule out a blended Tahu or Gali mask in such a set).

Huh, I thought I had quoted it. Must've made a mistake.

Guess you're right. This is like the Snake Train all over again.

What if it were pushed into 2016?

You seem to have deleted whatever you meant to quote, but I assume you're talking about a hypothetical sixth Skull Villain. It's certainly POSSIBLE that such a set were postponed a year, but I doubt it. Next year's sets will likely have their own unique aesthetic, overarching theme, and unique set of collectibles. It would certainly be odd (and frankly, unprecedented) for them to try and shoehorn a villain planned for this year into next year's sets. And if they did end up doing so, that figure might be substantially redesigned to fit that year's theme (which, unfortunately, would likely rule out a blended Tahu or Gali mask in such a set).

Huh, I thought I had quoted it. Must've made a mistake.

Guess you're right. This is like the Snake Train all over again.

Perhaps not exactly. We know now that the Snake Train was never intended to become a set—Mark Stafford, the builder, confirmed that it was nothing more than a proof-of-concept for what "transformed" snake vehicles could be like, using the well-known Emerald Night as a base. On the other hand, we don't know for sure (and may never know) whether that winged Skull villain was intended as a set or whether it was just one of many unused concepts made solely to establish the new wave's mood and aesthetic.

• Upvote 1

The TTV forum is all over the mistakes on the lego website.  Tons of things are grouped incorrectly, and ekimu is spelt ekimo on the build page.  What the heck is going on there.  Maybe the typo I could see making it through the to website by accident but all the other stuff? Super inconsistent and not a good look. Hopefully they fix it all. 

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

Wow, I'm quite pleasantly surprised in the new story content we're getting, makes me even more excited for the books! The story had gotten so... bare bones I had nearly lost interest in Bionicle but we're finally getting just a little bit more to make this world more interesting. I honestly feel like much or at least some of this should have been shown earlier, but at least we're finally getting things I had been doubting were ever going to happen. The new feel for this world is getting nicely elaborated on.

I'm wondering if perhaps the toa will have their golden masks taken and drained away by the skull villians, forcing them to get new masks from Ekimu's forge. A tease at a return to old mask powers, or just an easter egg/reference? I personally don't see a need for the change, but it would be a really cool call back.

Edited by Banana Gunz

The TTV forum is all over the mistakes on the lego website.  Tons of things are grouped incorrectly, and ekimu is spelt ekimo on the build page.  What the heck is going on there.  Maybe the typo I could see making it through the to website by accident but all the other stuff? Super inconsistent and not a good look. Hopefully they fix it all. 

They fixed the spelling mistakes that came with the winter wave relatively quickly.

Wow, I'm quite pleasantly surprised in the new story content we're getting, makes me even more excited for the books! The story had gotten so... bare bones I had nearly lost interest in Bionicle but we're finally getting just a little bit more to make this world more interesting. I honestly feel like much or at least some of this should have been shown earlier, but at least we're finally getting things I had been doubting were ever going to happen. The new feel for this world is getting nicely elaborated on.

I'm wondering if perhaps the toa will have their golden masks taken and drained away by the skull villians, forcing them to get new masks from Ekimu's forge. A tease at a return to old mask powers, or just an easter egg/reference? I personally don't see a need for the change, but it would be a really cool call back.

I thought the original videos were decently adequate. I was originally going to ignore the books because of my age, and that most kids' books are boring and bland. But now I am getting genuinely excited. I think that we will get more powerful masks as of the next wave.

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

I think instead of giving the Toa full upgrades next year, the villains and/or smaller sets in 2016 could come with upgraded masks to add to your 2015 Toa. I really like that idea, honestly. I'd rather have that than two or three entirely new figures for the same cast of characters.

• Upvote 2

Finally scored myself the Mask Maker Vs. Skull Grinder set.

I gotta say that Ekimu is now my favorite "Protector" of 2015. He looks like a tank. Though, it kinda sucks that the Mask of Creation looks pretty 'meh' on him, TLG should've continued the crests around the sides of the head more....I'll just keep it on display. 

Kulta looks pretty sick as well. But I'm having a bit of trouble posing his arms in a way that doesn't look awkward. 

Edited by Minty Green

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Those Skull Villain and Ekimu shorts are freaking sweet. I really like how the conflict is turning out, especially with Skull Grinder. 

Noticed that Ekimu was black in Skull Basher's video. The recent info from the site lead me to believe that the Toa are the source of his immense power used to defeat Grinder, since they are (probably) the ones filling him with elemental power.

And yeah, the site update is cool and its nice to learn about the Ancient City, but the overall site design still sucks. Hope for a decent revamp next year.

Oh, and I guess the location of the City was accurately depicted in the mobile game.

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Those Skull Villain and Ekimu shorts are freaking sweet. I really like how the conflict is turning out, especially with Skull Grinder. 

Noticed that Ekimu was black in Skull Basher's video. The recent info from the site lead me to believe that the Toa are the source of his immense power used to defeat Grinder, since they are (probably) the ones filling him with elemental power.

And yeah, the site update is cool and its nice to learn about the Ancient City, but the overall site design still sucks. Hope for a decent revamp next year.

Oh, and I guess the location of the City was accurately depicted in the mobile game.

-NotS

I like the site design. Aside from the errors and misplaced info, I find it very easy to navigate, a lot easier than many of the previous Bionicle and Hero Factory websites. It's also mobile-friendly, which is a plus.

The biggest improvement I could ask for that it doesn't currently have (again, other than error correction) is a general downloads/activities page for posters, wallpapers, etc. like the Ninjago and Elves sites have. It would also be cool the Toa's character pages had things like the names of their signature moves listed again, as those were on an earlier version of the 2015 site but got removed.

• Upvote 1

Toa: 'We have awaken you, Ekimu!'

Ekimu: It's 'Ekimo' now.

Toa:  :???:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :P

Anyways, I like the new info we have gotten on the summer villains and the hints of the upcoming story. Kuita and the other Skull Villains looks to be a challenging foe for our heroes to face. But if Ekimu's video is any indication, all he will have to do is embrace his 'inner Tahu' to defeat them. :P

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

So I went to the main page of Bionicle.com and clicked on the 'Comic Ekimo' section (another typo found :P), and it took me to a comic page where Kuita is seemingly trying to put the Mask of Creation into what appears to be an active forge before Ekimu stops him. 

Here is a link to this page: http://cache.lego.com/r/www/r/bionicle/-/media/franchises/bionicle%202014/comic%20strips/2hy%20comics/3002_ekimo_comic.jpg?l.r2=1362603460

Could this mean that he is trying to destroy the Mask of Creation? In case I missed something, that seems like a new development with the Skull Villain. (Note: I haven't read any of the previews of the upcoming Bionicle book save for one. So if one of them explains this, then that is why I didn't know it.)

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

So I went to the main page of Bionicle.com and clicked on the 'Comic Ekimo' section (another typo found :P), and it took me to a comic page where Kuita is seemingly trying to put the Mask of Creation into what appears to be an active forge before Ekimu stops him. 

Here is a link to this page: http://cache.lego.com/r/www/r/bionicle/-/media/franchises/bionicle%202014/comic%20strips/2hy%20comics/3002_ekimo_comic.jpg?l.r2=1362603460

Could this mean that he is trying to destroy the Mask of Creation? In case I missed something, that seems like a new development with the Skull Villain. (Note: I haven't read any of the previews of the upcoming Bionicle book save for one. So if one of them explains this, then that is why I didn't know it.)

The main motivation for Kulta we've gotten is that he wants to destroy all Masks of Power, mostly the Mask of Creation. That was first revealed in the Club Magazine, I think. Also, I think that comic is from the MMvsSG set.

Also, why are the Lord of Skull Spiders and Kulta working together? They have opposite goals.

Edited by Bonkle

The main motivation for Kulta we've gotten is that he wants to destroy all Masks of Power, mostly the Mask of Creation. That was first revealed in the Club Magazine, I think. Also, I think that comic is from the MMvsSG set.

Also, why are the Lord of Skull Spiders and Kulta working together? They have opposite goals.

Where do you get the impression that they have opposite goals? Lord of Skull Spiders steals masks, and Kulta destroys them. How would you expect Kulta to destroy masks he doesn't have? Particularly considering the Skull Army has not been shown to leave the Ancient City. In that sense, Lord of Skull Spiders performs a necessary function, by collecting the masks strewn across the island for Kulta to dispose of.

• Upvote 3

Where do you get the impression that they have opposite goals? Lord of Skull Spiders steals masks, and Kulta destroys them. How would you expect Kulta to destroy masks he doesn't have? Particularly considering the Skull Army has not been shown to leave the Ancient City. In that sense, Lord of Skull Spiders performs a necessary function, by collecting the masks strewn across the island for Kulta to dispose of.

From Biosector01:

Thousands of years after the Conflict Between Ekimu and Makuta, the Lord of Skull Spiders grew a desire to possess the Masks of Power, specifically the Mask of Creation. Using the Golden Mask of the Skull Spiders, it commanded the Skull Spiders to attack the villages and find the Masks of Power.

Kulta[1], the Skull Grinder, is the grim and vicious dark lord of the Skull Creatures, who seeks to find and destroy the Masks of Power.

What is that menacing plant in the background?

Maybe they're just trying to imply that the city is old and deserted.

But the city is frozen in time. How could a plant grow in it if it wasn't there before the time-freezing happened?

morbuzakh.

Even if LoSS and Kulta aren't at odds, if Makuta gets out of bed he is going to hate both of their guts. I got the impression that Makuta wanted to hoard and collect all of the mask's power for himself, which he can't do if said masks are destroyed. 

Is Korgot really a girl?

Yes. The proof is in some Amazon preview pages for the new Bionicle book. 

• Upvote 1