OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I'm very confused- what does everyone mean when they say the Vahi is only half of a mask?

Well if you look back to the actual design of the Vahi, it stands apart from the other Kanohi at the time because it was not designed as a full mask like the others, and the fact that the Vahi was mentioned by TLG (I think; just going from memory here) at NYCCC, us fans theorize that there could in fact be a top half to the Mask of Time. Plus, it was hinted at by TLG according to TTV.

I completly agree to this as I too attended the NYCC Bionicle Panel and the VIP event (so happy I got myself a Bio2015 Tahu set thats about 99% complete and a bunch of new pieces.) and I spoke to the LEGO employee Jordan Paxton about whether it is a reboot or not and he said its a reboot but that the old story is somewhat connected. I forgot exactly what he said but he did mention the Vahi only being, quote "Half a mask". He said that the mask was not finished and that the other half could be seen in this "Nuvaverse".

• Upvote 1

If anyone wants to learn more about the sets and story, there's a full press release on the BrickJournal website. Oddly, the piece counts listed for the Protectors are higher than the ones on the packages by six pieces. Could be a last-minute change to include more spare ammo. The weapons have names that range from regular awesome (Star Drill, Earthquake Hammer, Elemental Sandstorm Blaster) to absurdly awesome (JETERANGS/STORMERANGS)!

• Upvote 1

Kopaka doesn't sound like Kopaka anymore, and neither does Lewa

Gali's mask isn't feminine enough like Toa of Water masks use to be.

Bulky golden armor is to bulky.

Designs on armor makes it look cheap.

Overall pieces don't look very Bionicle-ish.

Okoto's borders look weird.

Finished ranting.

Glad to see the Toa Mata are back, glad to see we're going back to tribal/island stuff.

"Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero."

-Toa Kopaka Nuva

I was sadly right, the toa's masks don't give them regular powers. They're all elemental.  :(

Aw well, like Aanchir said, at least they have cool weapons names! 

But this brings up the thought of how mask powers work now. Are all masks elemental now? If so, does that mean control and "ultimate power" are elements? This is pretty interesting...

EDIT: the Lord of Skull Spiders has an interesting description. He apparently guards a city that the Protectors want access to? I like how the mystery is back. Plus we have that temple of time stuff and rumors about the Mask of Time here. All very interesting...

Edited by Banana Gunz

It's just those printed pieces that don't fit Bionicle's theme. What happened to texture?

Funny... BIONICLE fans are probably the only LEGO fans I know who consider printing "cheap-looking". Most AFOLs love printed parts. Besides, it's not like BIONICLE never had printing or stickers before. Remember the Bohrok-Kal? Or Tuma? For that matter, how is printing all that different from the blended patterns you see on many BIONICLE parts? Just as with those, it alters the surface detail without affecting the part's texture.

I can confirm that the prints on the new sets look anything but cheap in real life. They have beautiful metallic detailing, elemental motifs, and tribal decoration.

Molded texture definitely can look good too. I think if things like the pistons had been printed it would have been very ineffective. But molded texture is also expensive, and somewhat wasteful if it ends up making the part more specialized in its shape. There's no way each Toa could have gotten a unique chest pattern if those details had to be molded rather than printed. They'd have been forced to share the same design for all six. I think the printing adds lots of uniqueness and personality for the individual characters.

• Upvote 3

I was sadly right, the toa's masks don't give them regular powers. They're all elemental.  :(

But this brings up the thought of how mask powers work now. Are all masks elemental now? If so, does that mean control and "ultimate power" are elements? This is pretty interesting...

EDIT: the Lord of Skull Spiders has an interesting description. He apparently guards a city that the Protectors want access to? I like how the mystery is back. Plus we have that temple of time stuff and rumors about the Mask of Time here. All very interesting...

How about...

When Ekimu fought Makuta, the Protectors all lived in a city, and when the ground split open, the Skull Spiders came from the gap, forcing the Protectors out, and there's a refuge inside the city where everyone would be able to be safe from the MoUP, and so because Makuta's waking up, the Protectors want to get back into the city so that they can survive his awakening? Maybe?

• Upvote 1

VBWj75sh.png

It's just those printed pieces that don't fit Bionicle's theme. What happened to texture?

Funny... BIONICLE fans are probably the only LEGO fans I know who consider printing "cheap-looking". Most AFOLs love printed parts. Besides, it's not like BIONICLE never had printing or stickers before. Remember the Bohrok-Kal? Or Tuma? For that matter, how is printing all that different from the blended patterns you see on many BIONICLE parts? Just as with those, it alters the surface detail without affecting the part's texture.

I can confirm that the prints on the new sets look anything but cheap in real life. They have beautiful metallic detailing, elemental motifs, and tribal decoration.

Molded texture definitely can look good too. I think if things like the pistons had been printed it would have been very ineffective. But molded texture is also expensive, and somewhat wasteful if it ends up making the part more specialized in its shape. There's no way each Toa could have gotten a unique chest pattern if those details had to be molded rather than printed. They'd have been forced to share the same design for all six. I think the printing adds lots of uniqueness and personality for the individual characters.

I love printed parts! :P

How about...

When Ekimu fought Makuta, the Protectors all lived in a city, and when the ground split open, the Skull Spiders came from the gap, forcing the Protectors out, and there's a refuge inside the city where everyone would be able to be safe from the MoUP, and so because Makuta's waking up, the Protectors want to get back into the city so that they can survive his awakening? Maybe?

I was thinking more of maybe the fortress/city was where the mask makers made their masks before the catastrophe. The Protectors/natives could've lived there but were driven out after things went bad. It could also be like the Golden City from Exo Force. 

On the topic of printing: I don't see why everyone's complaining. It looks great! It's a little disappointing that Kopaka has two stickers, but you really don't have to put them on if you don't like them.

How about...

I was thinking more of maybe the fortress/city was where the mask makers made their masks before the catastrophe. The Protectors/natives could've lived there but were driven out after things went bad. It could also be like the Golden City from Exo Force. 

On the topic of printing: I don't see why everyone's complaining. It looks great! It's a little disappointing that Kopaka has two stickers, but you really don't have to put them on if you don't like them.

Where do the stickers go anyway?

I was thinking of the BIONICLE 2015 soft reboot to be like how Mother 3 was to Mother 2 (Earthbound)

When you play Mother 3, it is not connected AT ALL to Earthbound's story. I think it took place in another dimension entirely. The only thing that connected it to Earthbound, was in one of the final chapters when Pokey (or in Japan Porky) reveals himself to be the main villain of the game. In Earthbound, Pokey was Ness' neighbor and eventually sided him self with the evil Giygas, he was a sort of secondary villain in the game, and in Mother 3 became the main villain, and one of the only connections between Earthbound and Mother 3 (besides some other cameos and characters). Pokey traveled to another dimension through time and space at the end of Earthbound, setting the scene for Mother 3.

So basically what I'm saying is, that maybe BIONICLE can be like that. Everything is new, there are no Matoran or Turaga. Just the Protectors. Then maybe the classic Toa reach Okoto somehow, forget everything and fight evil there... 

OR

Everything is new, even the Toa are different Toa, but an enemy from the Core Dimension (2001-2010) travels to Okoto and ends up being the main villain.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

It turns out that the Masks were given out as badges/awards and getting one was a really great honor to the villagers.

The masks Ekimu and Makuta made were awards, which is why all the protectors have the same masks.

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

Does anyone know anything about the Gold Masks?

BzipZnNIgAAhbZA.jpg

Are they Solid Gold? Gold Plated? Are they going to be giving them away? any actual news, not specualation?

Edited by Mask collector
  • Upvote 3

Were you a member of the Protosquad? if so please PM me! I'm looking for Grey Plastic Krana Kal, Or GPKK. I only need the 8 Variations of the GPKK to have The only complete collection of BIONICLE in the world! Please contact me if you, or someone you know has any GPKK!

gpkkset.jpg

Mask Collector

MC

BzipZnNIgAAhbZA.jpg

Are they Solid Gold? Gold Plated? Are they going to be giving them away? any actual news, not specualation?

Solid gold. When I asked how they would be distributed, they told me we'd see on a later date. So yes, they'll be distributed, but no, we don't know quite hau.

• Upvote 6

WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!? Do you know if they will be distributed with the podium that they are on?

Were you a member of the Protosquad? if so please PM me! I'm looking for Grey Plastic Krana Kal, Or GPKK. I only need the 8 Variations of the GPKK to have The only complete collection of BIONICLE in the world! Please contact me if you, or someone you know has any GPKK!

gpkkset.jpg

Mask Collector

MC

Kopaka doesn't sound like Kopaka anymore, and neither does Lewa

Gali's mask isn't feminine enough like Toa of Water masks use to be.

Bulky golden armor is to bulky.

Designs on armor makes it look cheap.

Overall pieces don't look very Bionicle-ish.

Okoto's borders look weird.

Finished ranting.

Glad to see the Toa Mata are back, glad to see we're going back to tribal/island stuff.

I can totally agree about the new island.

Mata Nui was made to look very realistic, whethers this one looks like a kind of Cartoon Network thing...

So... so... so........ no mask of shielding? Awesome light speed running? Xray vision?

Darn it...

How about...

That actually sounds a lot like a Mata Nui/Metru Nui situation.

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

I completly agree to this as I too attended the NYCC Bionicle Panel and the VIP event (so happy I got myself a Bio2015 Tahu set thats about 99% complete and a bunch of new pieces.) and I spoke to the LEGO employee Jordan Paxton about whether it is a reboot or not and he said its a reboot but that the old story is somewhat connected. I forgot exactly what he said but he did mention the Vahi only being, quote "Half a mask". He said that the mask was not finished and that the other half could be seen in this "Nuvaverse".

And the confusion continues...

If anyone wants to learn more about the sets and story, there's a full press release on the BrickJournal website. Oddly, the piece counts listed for the Protectors are higher than the ones on the packages by six pieces. Could be a last-minute change to include more spare ammo. The weapons have names that range from regular awesome (Star Drill, Earthquake Hammer, Elemental Sandstorm Blaster) to absurdly awesome (JETERANGS/STORMERANGS)!

Lol, weird names for the weapons especially Jetarangs but ah well. Not too big a deal. Wouldn't mind if the Protectors came with spare ammo, since studs are easy to lose. But the nice thing about studs is that they are easily replaceable, compared to the specialized ammo in the past.

All I know is that those solid gold masks and the pedestals are freaking beautiful...  :drooling:

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Forget the gold masks, I want those pedestals they're on.

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

So are the Toa the only 6 Toa in existence?

The original tribal-theme of BIONICLE didn't really give much in the way of a long story, which is why I think they ditched that tribal setting and went to that sci-fi type of thing with Metru Nui and opening everything up into the MU.

Also, I know you've been discussing this guys, but the Matoran race was replaced by the Protectors?  Is there only one Protector for each element, or multiple?

"Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero."

-Toa Kopaka Nuva

So are the Toa the only 6 Toa in existence?

The original tribal-theme of BIONICLE didn't really give much in the way of a long story, which is why I think they ditched that tribal setting and went to that sci-fi type of thing with Metru Nui and opening everything up into the MU.

Also, I know you've been discussing this guys, but the Matoran race was replaced by the Protectors?  Is there only one Protector for each element, or multiple?

The Protectors are the tribe leaders. There's one of each. All the villagers in the "Legend of BIONICLE" animation share a similar general design, though.
  • Upvote 1

I love printed parts! :P

What if the Toa's heads were just smooth printed faces?

So the new ammo is those little studs? Get ready to lose some pieces. :P

Do you guys want more old characters on this new line, or are you satisfied with the original Toa Mata and Makuta being the only ones ? I really hope we get some old Matoran characters, like Jaller and Takua.

The Protectors are the tribe leaders. There's one of each. All the villagers in the "Legend of BIONICLE" animation share a similar general design, though. 

I really wish they had individual names.

Edited by Zidonaro

I'm back from comic con, I had a blast!

There's a raffle to enter to win the full wave.

I waited outside for 25 minutes in the rain to get to the LEGO booth in time for the transparent hau. As soon as the doors open, I bolted in, I ran up onto the main show floor, and had to run all over the place to find the booth. When I finally got there I yelled "where do you get the haus?" (So if you were there as early as I was today that was me, the kid in glasses frantically asking where to get in line).

When it was my turn, they gave one to me and one to my dad (he didn't want it...now I have two!) but I must have been there only 3 minutes and there were under 10 left when I was there. So you need to run if you want one tomorrow, best of luck to you.

Today though, there was no Q&A, golden masks, or part bin.

They gave me at least 8 posters when I was there (they said they got too many). They were double sided, one side was the bionicle.com art and the other with either Tahu or Lewa's box art, but I think they said they gave different ones each day.

So I have two copies of the mask. A guy tried to buy if from me once they said they were out, actually. But what should I do? Keep one sealed forever and open the other? Sell one? Sell both?

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

I waited outside for 25 minutes in the rain to get to the LEGO booth in time for the transparent hau. As soon as the doors open, I bolted in, I ran up onto the main show floor, and had to run all over the place to find the booth. When I finally got there I yelled "where do you get the haus?" (So if you were there as early as I was today that was me, the kid in glasses frantically asking where to get in line).

When it was my turn, they gave one to me and one to my dad (he didn't want it...now I have two!) but I must have been there only 3 minutes and there were under 10 left when I was there. So you need to run if you want one tomorrow, best of luck to you.

They gave me at least 8 posters when I was there (they said they got too many). They were double sided, one side was the bionicle.com art and the other with either Tahu or Lewa's box art, but I think they said they gave different ones each day.

So I have two copies of the mask. A guy tried to buy if from me once they said they were out, actually. But what should I do? Keep one sealed forever and open the other? Sell one? Sell both?

I would love to have a clear Hau in the Package, If you can get all the poster from Comic Con of Bionicle stuff, i would love those too! I'm sad i wasn't able to make it, but i really want all the posters and stickers and such.

MC

gpkkset.jpg

Mask Collector

MC

Do you guys want more old characters on this new line, or are you satisfied with the original Toa Mata and Makuta being the only ones ? I really hope we get some old Matoran characters, like Jaller and Takua.

I really want to see Takanuva, but apart from that I don't want too many old faces.  It'd be weird to me if the bulk of the new series' characters were just re-imagined old ones.  I do half headcanon the protector sets as the original Turaga, though. :P

I actually really like all of the new sets, bar maybe Onua (and Lewa's mask).  I'm leaning towards Gali and Pohatu as favs rn.

I really want to see Takanuva, but apart from that I don't want too many old faces.  It'd be weird to me if the bulk of the new series' characters were just re-imagined old ones.  I do half headcanon the protector sets as the original Turaga, though. :P

I actually really like all of the new sets, bar maybe Onua (and Lewa's mask).  I'm leaning towards Gali and Pohatu as favs rn.

If the toa are the toa from G1 I wonder of we will see any other people from that universe. Maybe some Matoran could go looking for them and become toa, just like the inika.

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 250 KB!

If the toa are the toa from G1 I wonder of we will see any other people from that universe. Maybe some Matoran could go looking for them and become toa, just like the inika.

I think that somebody said at CC that they weren't going to release any other sets from the past. 

Fresh new stuff, I assume. 

bZpOwEr

I just noticed something: one of the pictures linked to on the main page shows two protectors looking at a cave drawing that show what appears to be the six Toa shooting beams of energy that all connect at the top.  Protodermis confirmed?

I just noticed something: one of the pictures linked to on the main page shows two protectors looking at a cave drawing that show what appears to be the six Toa shooting beams of energy that all connect at the top.  Protodermis confirmed?

Where is this? On Lego Bionicle's Facebook?

Edit: Found it.

Toa Seals may be a thing. 

Edited by fishers64

Really? Yesterday I just walked around for fifteen to twenty minutes, casually found the Lego panel and was like, "Whoa! That's cool, they're giving out free masks!" They had an entire box full of them. Didn't think things would get so rough just three days in.  :D

I think that somebody said at CC that they weren't going to release any other sets from the past. 

Fresh new stuff, I assume. 

If they said that, plans could always change. Takanuva is too popular to not bring back. I'd love to see the Toa Mahri return as well. Although new Toa of different elements would be nice as well. I need me a Toa of lightning!