Why did Roodaka mutate the Toa Metru?

In Web of the Visorak they act like mutating Toa with Visorak venom has never been done before. Why would Roodaka make random, unknown experiments to the Toa? How does that aid her plan to drain them of their elemental powers, since they were going to end up dead anyway?  In fact, wouldn't doing so be detrimental since it might endanger her plan? This is kind of nitpicky and I get that they were probably just trying to find some way to sell the toys, I was just wondering.

• Upvote 1

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

We later found out more Toa had been mutated by Visorak venom in the past, some joining the Dark Hunters.

It aids her plan because mindless beasts can't exactly fight like Toa, can they? And mostly to experiment which one would most likely serve. Villains don't come up with good experiments.

But the baseline is, of course, "sell the toys!!!".

• Upvote 3

Because they might survive the fall. Always have a backup plan just in case. :P 

I was pretty sure the in-story reason was that she wanted to know what the effects of Hordika poison were. Even if it had happened, she might not have been there to witness it before, and now she had an opportunity. 

Could have made it easier to lift their elemental powers from their bodies too. 

I thought I read somewhere that Roodaka mutated the Toa Metru because it would've been easier to drain their elemental powers from them while they were Hordika. I imagine that she would've drained the powers through their Rhotuka Launchers on their backs. I know that raises the question of how she knew that they would get said launchers when they were mutated, and my best guess is that maybe she had mutated Toa with the venom before and had seen them acquire the launcher after becoming Hordika. 

But I know that this is all mostly speculation on my part. If she didn't do for this reason, then I have no idea why she mutated them aside from 'the villain doing something villainous.' :P

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I thought I read somewhere that Roodaka mutated the Toa Metru because it would've been easier to drain their elemental powers from them while they were Hordika. I imagine that she would've drained the powers through their Rhotuka Launchers on their backs. I know that raises the question of how she knew that they would get said launchers when they were mutated, and my best guess is that maybe she had mutated Toa with the venom before and had seen them acquire the launcher after becoming Hordika. 

But I know that this is all mostly speculation on my part. If she didn't do for this reason, then I have no idea why she mutated them aside from 'the villain doing something villainous.' :P

Yeah, I was pretty much going to say the same thing.

Being Toa Hordika, they can only manifest their elemental powers in the form of Rhotuka.  That means they exist as pure energy before they hit something.  From what I've gathered from the overly-complicated nature of Gen 1 Toa Powers, Toa can either create their element or fire a blast of pure elemental energy that turns into their element when it hits something.  (This is how I reconcile the Toa Mata combining their elements against Teridax at the end of MNOG1 and not encasing him in Elementally-Charged Protodermis).  To lock/unlock an Elementally-Charged Protodermis prison, the elemental energy needs to be in its pure form.  That's why Rhotuka are a safer option than just having the Toa use their regular powers.

• Upvote 1

I personally think she chose to mutate them just so they wouldn't be as much of a problem when trying to get the elemental powers. I mean, if they are too concerned with themselves, and reverting back to how they were, she could do a lot more.

• Upvote 1

~Xeo~

If she just wanted them to have elemental Rhotuka, though, why not just hit them with her mutation spinner to give them Rhotuka with certainty, rather than hoping the Hordika venom would happen to do what she wanted?

The best thing I can come up with is she wanted not only to get some of their elemental powers, but also to corrupt them, like she eventually did with Vakama. And that goal could be better accomplished if they were in constant turmoil from fighting their Rahi sides.

Edited by Sergei Rahkmaninoff
  • Upvote 2

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

Basically she needed them to be both alive and psychologically hindered enough to unwittingly help free Makuta. Just altering their powers but not their minds would be riskier.  There would be other ways to do that, probably, but Visorak are the obvious choice given the situation. Probably helps keep them appeased too.

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I think she wanted them to become her servants, an elite taskforce if you will. In Web of Shadows Norik said that normally Vakama would never turn on his friends, but the venom changed him. In my opinion it were these psychological changes that Roodaka wanted to achieve when she mutated the Toa :)

IhDIrLK.jpg

Also, keep in mind that Roodaka was waiting for an opportunity to usurp Sidorak's throne. By mutating the Toa, she insured that they would seek out Keetongu. I can't remember if she knew of either the Rahagas' or Keetongu's presence in Metru Nui, but if she did (she had spies all throughout the city, after all) then she knew that the creation of the Toa Hordika could lead to just the sort of tumult needed to unseat the Horde's King.

• Upvote 3

gZsNWyr.png

(Credit to Nik the Three for the banner)

Humiliation is what I always thought of. Makes sense... strip away the Toa aspect and watch them devolve into beasts. A sick kind of plan only someone like Roodaka would get a kick out of.

-NotS

This is sort of how I think of it; if she diminished their honor and, basically, defiled them, they would probably abandon their destiny, and, depending how things went, she might be able to use them to her own ends easier than she could if they were kept as their regular Toa-selves.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)