RPG Forum Contest 28

Black Six

I mean Lev at least gave a reason, and Lorax has already given extensive review of Reborn, but everyone else just kinda hopped on over to Sky/Fall.

There really isn't much an "everyone else" anymore. Reviews aren't what they used to be; that is to say, plentiful. There was a time those review topics would go to like six, seven pages in length. And I basically showed up when the contest RPGs began their decline from glory...

-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

I mean Lev at least gave a reason, and Lorax has already given extensive review of Reborn, but everyone else just kinda hopped on over to Sky/Fall.

There really isn't much an "everyone else" anymore. Reviews aren't what they used to be; that is to say, plentiful. There was a time those review topics would go to like six, seven pages in length. And I basically showed up when the contest RPGs began their decline from glory...

True, true.. I guess it just felt that way because Canis reviewed Sky/Fall, and even though he hasn't reviewed anything else that somehow made me feel left-out..

But eh, whateves. I've already had extensive reviewing/proofreading/suggesting done by Lorax, so I guess that makes up for it. :P

Hey, at least you got to see some of the 'good old days' glory, the closest I've seen is maybe Techna, which I guess could be called the last great RPG that we've had.. Maybe also Island of Pain, and some of the other RPGs from. Tis sad, sad indeed..

Zakaro

AGoNWLR.jpg

They call me Zakaro. You should too.

True, true.. I guess it just felt that way because Canis reviewed Sky/Fall, and even though he hasn't reviewed anything else that somehow made me feel left-out..

But eh, whateves. I've already had extensive reviewing/proofreading/suggesting done by Lorax, so I guess that makes up for it. :P

Hey, at least you got to see some of the 'good old days' glory, the closest I've seen is maybe Techna, which I guess could be called the last great RPG that we've had.. Maybe also Island of Pain, and some of the other RPGs from. Tis sad, sad indeed..

Zakaro

I was not able to have the fortune to see the real "old Golden Days" of the Forum... the RPG Forum was active, but you still had the veterans of the time talking about how diminished it was. After a few contests it just started slipping even further. Now we have the smallest contest entry number yet.

We just don't have enough active players anymore. Or, I should say, ones that will play on here. BZPRPG and the OTC Forum occupy most folks, and not everyone can maintain more than a few RPGs at a time due to time constraints. I think the reputation of these RPGs crashing and burning puts people off as well, and the idea that they only last three months (an RPG can win multiple seasons after all; just look to Day Run - I think that saga lasted for like five or six separate RPGs)

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

One reason for the low entry number is that the theme was a major turn-off for most.

I noticed that, though I disagree with their choice. Once I sat down and started thinking about ways to modify the story of Requiem to fit the theme... it came out a lot better.

And I was at a complete loss at what to do until I retooled Disruption to work for the contest. The theme is pretty vague, which I like because all of these RPGs are very different. In other contests with themes, like that underground one, many of the RPGs were similar, at least in setting.

I used to have a banner here.

But that RPG is dead.

What now?

While I'm not certain that my entry is better due to the theme, I didn't mind changing it around to accommodate the restriction. It's actually fun to work within limits because you have to think in other directions.I think the low entry numbers will make this a very interesting contest because there are fewer choices for voters to back. Good luck to the other competitors!

The theme isn't too bad for me - City in the Dark already had puppets before this contest. I think the themes do cut down the number of entries though, just looking at the numbers of entries on the new forums.

RPGC#22 - 16

RPGC#23 - 16

RPGC#24 - 18

RPGC#25 - 12 (theme)

RPGC#26 - 15

RPGC#27 - 14

RPGC#28 - 9 (theme) with a day and a bit to go.

The total entries are in decline, yes, but there is also a drop whenever the theme comes in.

ppg2.png

The theme isn't too bad for me - City in the Dark already had puppets before this contest. I think the themes do cut down the number of entries though, just looking at the numbers of entries on the new forums.

RPGC#22 - 16

RPGC#23 - 16

RPGC#24 - 18

RPGC#25 - 12 (theme)

RPGC#26 - 15

RPGC#27 - 14

RPGC#28 - 9 (theme) with a day and a bit to go.

The total entries are in decline, yes, but there is also a drop whenever the theme comes in.

It's still a rather dramatic drop. And looking at those numbers when trying to compare them to ones in the Archive... depressing.

Slightly less depressing, and in fact highly amusing, is that if you dig back to around Page 17 in the Archives for the RPG forum, you can find a topic labeled, "Official RPG Music Topic." This needs to exist again. :P

RPGs really did seem to revive a bit: around the War Zone era, and when Exo returned and stuff. I don't know what's happened since. Heck, even SFTS had 39 pages: now the RPGs are down to five...

In no particular order, my favorites so far:

Disruption

Reborn in Red

Trapped in a Map

Tides

The Voyage of the Requiem IV

RPGs really did seem to revive a bit: around the War Zone era, and when Exo returned and stuff. I don't know what's happened since. Heck, even SFTS had 39 pages: now the RPGs are down to five...

I think Waves even got up to 59 or so, though it pulled only like a post a day at the very end. That contest was fairly active.

My top RPG choices this contest are -

• Legend of the Thirteenth Island! My favorite setting of the bunch. It was also the only one, besides City of the Dead, that I didn't have to think about in order to know which characters I wanted to play. It just came naturally, and I'm more inclined to vote for an RPG that can do that.
  • Voyage of the Requiem IV. I have a vested interest in this succeeding, and I honestly wish I could give a hint at how awesome the story I have planned out really is. But if I did, that would completely defeat the point of it, and the RPG itself. So people - vote for this RPG, and find out yourself! :P
  • City of the Dead. This would have been my third pick, for the reasons described in Legend. I almost immediately knew what I wanted to do here. I'm not sure why, either. So, Honorable Mention to this RPG.
  • Trapped in a Map. It's an interesting RPG idea with an interesting and creatively designed world. The setting itself would be mundane if it was just a city, but the nature of the city and the possibilities it grants... yeah. Now combine that with a pretty good story, even if it's a tad on the dry side for NPCs.

My follow ups -

• City in the Dark. I love this RPG for its emphasis on non-standard characters. I don't rank it up as high as the others mentioned, but it's still worth mentioning as a solid RPG that I shall likely be voting for in the preliminary polls (if we have them).
  • Tides. The way it is now, Tides definitely has my interest due to the mysteries that it forces me to ask myself about, but it's just not one of my personal favorites. It still earns a solid spot as a follow up for my voting with the current loadout of entries.

In case that follows, my order is less particular. I'll wait to see how the polls are looking.

Also, I'm fully backing TiaM just because it's an awesome RPG and deserves to win after being entered so many times.

Really glad to hear this. Yeah, I can't really remember how many times I've entered it so far, and I can't check the archives since they don't really exist anymore, but I believe I first enetered it in contest 18.I'm also gald to see that It's at least in everyone's top few so far (those who have posted their favourites that is), maybe this'll be the year.

Edited by Toa Kovolta

BBCC #68 sig.png The Iron Tiger

I can't say I'm particularly surprised Tides isn't attracting attention; it is, after all, more reliant on in-game plots than setting. Then again, there aren't any significant edits that would retain the mystery while giving it more pizzazz, so I'll just sit back and cross my fingers.Good luck to the other entrants! May the best RPGs win. :)

I can't say I'm particularly surprised Tides isn't attracting attention; it is, after all, more reliant on in-game plots than setting. Then again, there aren't any significant edits that would retain the mystery while giving it more pizzazz, so I'll just sit back and cross my fingers.

I can relate at least partially with that feeling, at least with regards to the plots. I don't think anybody is aware of just how elaborate the story I threw together really is. Not even counting the player factor, which is a factor of 01-00 with a modifier of +01-50 for 25% of the time and -01-50 for 25% of the time, with a 1% chance any given determined factor, no matter the result indicated, is 00(x2).

Only moments left folks.

I think Waves even got up to 59 or so, though it pulled only like a post a day at the very end. That contest was fairly active.

True, but IMO probably some otherwise potentially active RPers died in the downtime...

• City of the Dead. This would have been my third pick, for the reasons described in Legend. I almost immediately knew what I wanted to do here. I'm not sure why, either. So, Honorable Mention to this RPG. 

Sorry! It might come back next summer or some other time, improved a bit and with other people to help me run it. xP

People, you're all missing the point. See, if you vote for Requiem, not only do you get an intricate and complex story that your character has no idea about because of mass, stasis induced amnesia (combined with a hostile derelict vessel floating through the empty void of space), but the taxes will be enough to pay for a banner. :D

Do you really want to leave us without a banner? Reduce us back to the animals? The uncivilized, unenbannered animals? Shame on you.

While I'm here, vote for the Legend of the Thirteenth Island. It's in like fourth place or something and it should be in first place or something.

Not that anyone is going to read this because the message with self destruct in 10...

Yes, a complex story and a mystery to solve are indeed wonderful things, but why should you need to sacrifice your characters' memories in order to do it? City in the Dark can give you all this and more! Test your wits against the puzzle and try to spot the links into the canon backstory that will reveal the puppet(s) and their masters, and use that knowledge to gain... well, I can't say right now, but it's good!

And snazzy canon species! Thanks Peanuts.

Apologies to Requiem and Tides for the comment about amnesiac characters. I do like those games, really.

ppg2.png

What's more fun than being trapped in a world at the whim of an evil mapmaker? Who doesn't want to take arms against such evil, form your own faction to defeat the vile worshipers! Or perhaps you'd rather be a mercenary, selling to both sides, giving up all hope of ever leaving? Or dearie me, maybe you'd like to worship the vile carver just to live another day!

And think! the RPG that has gone from contest to contest, all the edits to make it supreme over these last minute slap-togethers*, all the preparation! Think of the injustice done to this marvelous RPG as it falls to other sharklike games*, contest after contest.

A plea! a bargain! a command!

Vote for Trapped in a Map in RPG Contest 28!

*No offense is meant to these wonderful RPGs. You must be used to my hyperbole by now.

Edited by Grantaire

This!

Zarayna, you have no idea how happy I am to see this.

The only one I'm genuinely throwing my weight behind is Trapped in a Map. That game's been pushed out of the finals too many times over the last several years.

-Tyler

Thanks so much for the support!

BBCC #68 sig.png The Iron Tiger

This!

Zarayna, you have no idea how happy I am to see this.

The only one I'm genuinely throwing my weight behind is Trapped in a Map. That game's been pushed out of the finals too many times over the last several years.

-Tyler

Thanks so much for the support!

I just wanna let you know. It's a good RPG and all, but I'm sorry. I just didn't vote for you in the Preliminary Poll.

Lev, are you trying to make a joke at how there was no preliminary poll?

Yes. Yes I was. Did you laugh?

The best way to be deadpan on BZP is to not use the emoticon with the tongue.

Yes, a complex story and a mystery to solve are indeed wonderful things, but why should you need to sacrifice your characters' memories in order to do it?

Memories are overrated. Who wants to vote for an RPG where you don't need to write a bio for your character? Vote Tides and receive a tax refund!(This is the first time I've ever jokingly advertised my RPG over others'. It feels so odd. ._.)