The Journey of Tahu - A Photo Essay

Nidhiki of the Shadows

Awesome job with this! The photo quality is great, and they really come together to build the narrative about Tahu.

Your introduction does seem to need a fair bit of proofreading though. "Into an essence" seems to misuse the word essence, "had lay dormant" should use lain instead of lay, "lies weapons" should use lie, etc.

~B~

Edited by Ballom

I love the entire thing, all parts of it equally. Those are some great photos you've taken and the beginning intro really tells of just how epic Bionicle has been in both continuities. 

A great job you've done, hopefully you'll get some fantastic marks.

Thanks a lot! I actually got 95%, which is an A+. :) 

Awesome job with this! The photo quality is great, and they really come together to build the narrative about Tahu.

Your introduction does seem to need a fair bit of proofreading though. "Into an essence" seems to misuse the word essence, "had lay dormant" should use lain instead of lay, "lies weapons" should use lie, etc.

~B~

Glad you liked the photos!

And about the intro... Heheh, yeah probably should have taken a little more time proofreading it. xD Glad the prof didn't seem to mind. :P

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Have a walrus. You earned it.

Wow, great job, NotS! This is truly epic! What happened to Tahu after he claimed the golden mask, though? :P

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

The sunset one and the roadway-speed one, though that's a little blurry. I also like the one with Tahu's sword in the ground and the the mask resting beside it.

Very smooth work - reminds me of my own Photoshop class. Nicely done. 

It turns out I can't submit these cause they fall under "fanart". xD Ah well. And yeah, I probably would have definitely submitted those two, as I put the most work into them. Glad it shows. :) Thanks for the kind words!

Have a walrus. You earned it.

Wow, great job, NotS! This is truly epic! What happened to Tahu after he claimed the golden mask, though? :P

I assume he went to go find the Mask Masker. ;)

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

This is amazing NoTS! :1:  :0: / :1:  :0: ! Have a free internet cookie!

Picture of Tahu looking out to the left with the sunset sky behind him is definitely my favorite. Great Work!

"In this new- Wait, why am I being quoted?!"

-Kovika, Toa of Ice, Bread Enthusiast, and Ko-Metru Scholar.

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

Picture of Tahu looking out to the left with the sunset sky behind him is definitely my favorite. Great Work!

Thanks! That's also my favourite. I spent a lot of time up on on that hill just waiting for the perfect colours to pop up during the sunset. It was also really windy, I wasn't dressed for the occasion and Tahu kept flopping over. It was pretty difficult. xD

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is so nice to look at. I dunno. Sorry I don't have much to say other than it gives me Feelings. Maybe the lighting? The wide composition? I dunno it just has a really cool sort of...feeling of a new beginning I guess. The one with Tahu walking on the road is particularly good imo. Bionicle photography isn't as common as it should be honestly

I know that you only created this for an assignment and probably have no intention of creating more of these, but I want to see the rest of the toa wake up and explore their worlds in search of their golden masks and reunite with each other. Of course, you don't have to do it, I'm just suggesting an idea.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Wow, this is amazing! I'm a sucker for photography, especially the kind that can combine real backgrounds and scenery with action figures in this way. I have to say, you did a marvelous job! I really do enjoy this - my favorite has to be the side-view of him in the sand/gravel. It really makes me think G1, and the sky behind Tahu is absolutely beautiful. Overall, marvelous work!

Very amazing work! I love it! Man, I agree with that fact that you deserved an A+! How you talk about both Bionicle's continuities is very well done! I love the photos, too! They look very cool!:D Boy, I wish my school could make me that kind of assignment!:)

You should deserve a big reward, like a large Lego set, man, because you did it so amazingly!:D

Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Dude, really like your use of focus here. Also Tahu waking up from sleeping beneath a tree is very Rip Van Winkle-esque. There's a part of me that wants to see Tahu fighting LOSS, but I do like the subtlety to went for.

Edited by Ta-metru_defender

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

FAAAAANTASTIC!!!  :D  B-)  Many well-done's to you,Nidhiki! Great use of depth-of-field, especially (IMO) the picture of the twin Fire Swords and Mask of Fire lying on the ground. Looking at these photos gives me the impression that Tahu is feeling kinda lost in time/space but, as we get to the last few photos, he gradually gets a hang of this world and time he awoke in after 15 years.

P.S. Your project is already uber-awesome, and the excellent 95% mark makes a wonderful touch to your awesome project! :D

Your left brain contains nothing right, while your right brain contains nothing left.

Huge thank you to Black Six for spotlighting my work. :) I had the biggest smile on my face when I woke up yesterday morning to see my art on the BZP front page! And to everyone who replied, thanks for all the kind comments. I really appreciate it!

Bionicle photography isn't as common as it should be honestly

I totally agree. There is a lot of opportunity for awesome photography utilizing these figures. I've seen some phenomenal work regarding Bionicle Photography before, which is in part what inspired me to do this project. But yeah, it should definitely be more prominent in the community. 

I know that you only created this for an assignment and probably have no intention of creating more of these, but I want to see the rest of the toa wake up and explore their worlds in search of their golden masks and reunite with each other. Of course, you don't have to do it, I'm just suggesting an idea.

I actually did think of doing a photo essay for each individual Toa, but that would be a lot of work. I'm still playing around with variations of the core concept though, like a photo essay incorporating all six with each getting 2-3 pictures. It would be more manageable and still show off the various environments the Toa belong in.

Wow, this is amazing! I'm a sucker for photography, especially the kind that can combine real backgrounds and scenery with action figures in this way. 

Yeah, I love action figure photography. It's one thing to just take a photo of the figure, and another to make it seem like an organic part of any environment. Glad you liked it. :)

You should deserve a big reward, like a large Lego set, man, because you did it so amazingly! :D

I definitely would not mind that. xD

Dude, really like your use of focus here. Also Tahu waking up from sleeping beneath a tree is very Rip Van Winkle-esque. There's a part of me that wants to see Tahu fighting LOSS, but I do like the subtlety to went for.

Actually, my original storyboard included a shot where Tahu fights LoSS, using a low shutter speed to capture his arm swinging down and smacking it in the head. That would denote motion, which was a requirement for the essay. Regardless, it proved difficult to capture, and motion was already conveyed in the shot of the highway, so I opted to drop it. 

Looking at these photos gives me the impression that Tahu is feeling kinda lost in time/space but, as we get to the last few photos, he gradually gets a hang of this world and time he awoke in after 15 years.

You've got it. ;) That's what I was going for, so I'm glad it was successfully portrayed! 

I love the one were tahu has has his sword over his shoulder with the sun iluminating his armour with the remains of The Lord of skull spider in the background

Awesome. To be honest, that one is my least favourite - I missed the perfect moment in the golden hour, but I was pressed for time so tried to work with the best photo I could get at that time. Glad it turned out decently, and even more happy that you liked it so much. :)

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

I came to this thread intending to criticized, but leave impressed with the sunset photos. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

• 2 weeks later...

I came to this thread intending to criticized, but leave impressed with the sunset photos. 

Haha, thanks a lot! :) Those were my favourite out of the bunch as well. Timing was key, and I'm glad it worked out. 

This is beyond beautiful, This makes me emotional. seriously, I would have shed a tear if I had the capacity  :wub: 

Oh man, I'm glad I've instigated such emotional responses. Means a lot. :)

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As much as I hate to go with the consensus I have to agree. These pictures are beautiful. From the environments to Tahu himself everything is gorgeous. I absolutely love the picture of Tahu on the empty road and Tahu looking over the city at night. So in all honesty these are great and hope to see more.

Edited by Tsubasa Hanekawa

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

• 1 month later...

These are gorgeous! I think the one above the highway pic is my favorite. I'm so glad you got high marks on this. :D

Yeah, I really had a hard time with that one, but glad it paid off. :) Also took the most time in post-production.

As much as I hate to go with the consensus I have to agree. These pictures are beautiful. From the environments to Tahu himself everything is gorgeous. I absolutely love the picture of Tahu on the empty road and Tahu looking over the city at night. So in all honesty these are great and hope to see more.

Thanks a lot. I'm really glad you enjoyed all the pics. :) I hope I can have the chance to take more with the summer sets possibly, just horrendously busy at this time of year and it's hard to do everything necessary to make a project as extensive as this. But if I get the time I will definitely continue this series. 

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

• 7 months later...

That was phenomenal. The photo quality, lighting, and character in each photo really made the story a joy to read/view!

Gleaming glistens The Red Star,
Bringing life to death afar,
Up away in deepest space,
You call me from your distant place.

Proud member of the Kanohi Force (Disavowed, but never dead)