The Official RPG Planning Topic

Nuju Metru

This seems like game that needs many players to be at least playable.

It seems like some space mmorpg. What feels strange is the fact that except for some brief mentions in faction descriptions, it is not very much Bionicle-themed and is simply space/sci-fi rpg.

I guess Mr. Crunchy is your way to deal with player spread, that was talked about here.

At some point, I'll suddenly go on hiatus. I'm sorry for that.

Nik, but still pronounced as Nick

The Great Vakama or Clue official topic

It depends on how active the RPG is You can get the same movement out of five players as you could with ten if the game is interesting enough.

As for it not being very Bionicle-y well, this is not the first RPG of it's kind. Nothing wrong with playing loose with canon and I always find the space RPGs fun.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Mr. Crunchy

Uh-oh, you're in trouble this time. Bye!

Mr. Crunchy is a mindless, monstrous, rock mass that loves nothing more than eating your ship. It's hard to drive away, and very dangerous. It tracks down lone ships that are not near their fleet, and gains mass from random chunks of rock and vehicles, using the weapon's charging clips to become bigger. Best advice: run.

This reminds me way too much of the last time you ran an RPG that involved a giant unstoppable monster, in that you'd trap the characters of players who annoyed you and give them pretty much no possible options of escape no matter what they tried to do. 

In a game like this, I'm not entirely sure that a creature like this is necessary, nor I am convinced that you'll use it in a responsible manner. If you really feel the need to staff-smite someone, there are plenty of other methods of doing so that don't require a monster. 

• Upvote 3

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

This reminds me way too much of the last time you ran an RPG that involved a giant unstoppable monster, in that you'd trap the characters of players who annoyed you and give them pretty much no possible options of escape no matter what they tried to do.

In a game like this, I'm not entirely sure that a creature like this is necessary, nor I am convinced that you'll use it in a responsible manner. If you really feel the need to staff-smite someone, there are plenty of other methods of doing so that don't require a monster.

One of the main points of Asylum was the monster. It was too plot-driven, so it couldn't be killed. In this case, it can't be killed by a small attack force.

Mr. Crunchy's purpose is to keep people from going "i'll just take my spaceship and leave; not joining any organizations or starting my own, bye" and keeps the random air space open. It won't be approaching any large player gourps/bases, and it definitely won't be approaching a battle.

So from what I'm reading this sounds like Asylum II: In Space! starring underpowered weapons, overpowered armor, and a monster that kills people for no reason. XD

Thanks for your optimism. :glare:

Mr. Crunchy's purpose is to keep people from going "i'll just take my spaceship and leave; not joining any organizations or starting my own, bye" 

So in other words, the monster exists solely to stop players from doing their own thing.

Yeah... I have a feeling that isn't going to sit well with some players. You're basically punishing them for deciding to take on the challenge of trying to survive on their own.

Space is dangerous enough for a lone spaceship without the addition of a sentient rock that - from what I understand here - is guaranteed to kill them via autohit if they do something you don't like. 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Honestly, I don't see the necessity of a giant sentient rock to keep players from straying too far from the action in the RPG. The total absence of interaction when alone in deep space should dissuade them from that well enough. And if they decide to bring a few friends with them to explore and colonize the faraway reaches of space, why should you need to stop them? Let them have their fun with that.

Edited by Sergei Rahkmaninoff

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

Okay, so it doesn't kill them as long as they run away...

...but it still exists solely to prevent people from doing what they want to do. 

Honestly, I don't see the necessity of a giant sentient rock to keep players from straying too far from the action in the RPG. The total absence of interaction when alone in deep space should dissuade them from that well enough. And if they decide to bring a few friends with them to explore and colonize the faraway reaches of space, why should you need to stop them? Let them have their fun with that.

This sums up my thoughts from what I've read so far

which definitely isn't everything, but still

The "faraway reaches of space" land on the roll of a die on hostility, and if they even find anything.

Rather than let them walk into a death trap with no warning, I'd prefer to deter them from it. If not, they either get slaughtered or make any kind of planet they want, with endless resources and an alien race to rule over as king. Sorry, no.

Plus if the rock monstrosity doesn't work out I can always kill it off later on.

As I see it right now, there are three major factions, all of them decidedly villainous-sounding. Players are allowed to make their own factions, so long as they can find at least a few other people to join. 

However, if a character is unable or unwilling to join or make a faction... your giant death rock will kill them.

That's what I'm getting out of this. 

You guys do have to remember that one of the biggest problems with a space RPG is player spread. Space is infinite even if most of it is empty, that's a lot of area for people to spread out in. And unless you do something to make people not do exactly that the RPG is going to die a very quick death.

Granted Ghidora could use the lack of hyperdrives to help with that but you at least have to give him credit for forseeing a problem and trying to deal with it.

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

You guys do have to remember that one of the biggest problems with a space RPG is player spread. 

Yes, but if we're being presented with three less-than-desirable staff factions and free reign to make out own factions, I don't see why characters wouldn't be allowed to be factionless. Right now, it sounds like the monster will kill anyone who isn't a member of a faction, regardless of whether they're actually on their own or not.

It tracks down lone ships that are not near their fleet

Mr. Crunchy's purpose is to keep people from going "i'll just take my spaceship and leave; not joining any organizations or starting my own, bye"

As I see it, a large part of a space game is exploration, and everything that's been said about the monster thus far makes it sound as if it'll conveniently show up and attempt to murder any character who decides to go exploring on their own. 

Considering how dangerous space already is, it just seems incredibly unnecessary.

And, as has already been pointed out: 

Yes, but if we're being presented with three less-than-desirable staff factions and free reign to make out own factions, I don't see why characters wouldn't be allowed to be factionless. Right now, it sounds like the monster will kill anyone who isn't a member of a faction, regardless of whether they're actually on their own or not.

Not even sure how a person would be able to explore without a faction due to the scale of ship needed for a hyperdrive.

It seems pretty clear to me that the monster is only going to go after characters that have decided to run off and do their own little thing away from everybody else. Which is a great way to kill the game, by the way. Sure a factionless person is more likely to do that, but they don't need to run off and explore a giant planet all by their lonesome.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Well, if the big, faction-oriented transport ships are the only ones with hyperdrives, then technically the people who go off on their own can't go hopping between systems anyway (unless they were renting space on a GM-run cargo freighter or something), which means that the monster technically has no reason to exist.

• Upvote 2

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Well, if the big, faction-oriented transport ships are the only ones with hyperdrives, then technically the people who go off on their own can't go hopping between systems anyway (unless they were renting space on a GM-run cargo freighter or something), which means that the monster technically has no reason to exist.

People can still try to wing it in their regular space ship with no hyperdrive. Yes, it'll take a very long time for them to get anywhere, but too little players to have interaction with will kill it.

And being a soloist is a very fun sounding idea... Except you have no home base, no armour-fixing automatically, and no comrades to help you defend yourself. Plus, rather than write up the random demise from a meteor, black hole, space alien, or some other bizarre occurrence, I'd rather stick with Mr. Crunchy.

the monster is only going to go after characters that have decided to run off and do their own little thing away from everybody else.

Summary.

People can still try to wing it in their regular space ship with no hyperdrive. Yes, it'll take a very long time for them to get anywhere, but too little players to have interaction with will kill it.

As much as I really don't want to jump in on the current dogpile it would literally take tens to hundreds of years for anyone to get between systems at sublight speeds. And that's assuming that they accelerate to lightspeed right away somehow. Then you run into relativity and everything gets complicated.

Suffice to say that the only real way to get between systems is via some form of FTL

• Upvote 1

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

I don't see what would stop you from trying.

Whether you're allowed to succeed or not is another matter entirely. 

By the time a character traveling at that speed reached their intended destination, Ghidora, the game would already be over. By a long shot.

Now feel free to attempt to correct me if you think I'm wrong here, but if people want to start jumping across systems and the only things that have hyperdrives in them are the faction motherships themselves, then I think that my original point is still somewhat valid since you still essentially have to join up with someone in order to do that kind of traveling.

And on that note, how would Mr. Crunchy be able to jump across systems to eat people anyway? From my understanding, he's just a large asteroid monster floating around in space, right? Without a hyperdrive himself (or at least a similar ability), he couldn't get to people fast enough to gobble them up in the first place.

Edited by Timageness
  • Upvote 2

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

That would be awesome. 

As already said here, there could be some freight ships with hyperdrive. They would offer to transport you to their destination. Making for example 4 of these ships, player could choose between 4 solar systems to freely explore, each having some planets.

This would allow you to control player spread a bit, as you could change amount of these ships depending on amount of players.

Now feel free to attempt to correct me if you think I'm wrong here, but if people want to start jumping across systems and the only things that have hyperdrives in them are the faction motherships themselves, then I think that my original point is still somewhat valid since you still essentially have to join up with someone in order to do that kind of traveling.

There are smaller dropships that are used to get from system to system. From the sound of it the motherships don't do a lot of actual moving.

I'm not really sure why anyone would want to go off on their own anyway. It's pretty much guaranteed that there will a player made good faction right as the game starts and going off on your own just gets you suck on a planet with nobody to interact with but the GM.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Yeah... it appears I mixed up my words; the dropships were the ones I was actually attempting to refer to in that particular sentence. Adding in Faction Motherships could also be interesting, though, especially if some type of hostile alien life forms somehow managed to get on board...

I also seem to recall one of Nato's characters going off on his own at the beginning of MuP, and as a result of that, an ancient A.I. ended up building itself a body and is now currently trying to subjugate the entire island. Take from that what you will, but it's still technically possible for exciting stuff to happen when venturing out by yourself.

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

He already has faction motherships, I was just saying that most of the day-to-day travel tends to be done via dropships.

And while, yes important things like what happened to Nato can happen from time to time it's usually just two weeks to a month of posts between that player and the GM that add very little to the overall game.

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

What if I want to write a "Roodaka" style character that tries to join two factions as a double agent? What if I write a moral paragon revolutionary that takes over one of the evil factions and tries to reform its corruption? Would that be allowed?

Yes, that would be most interesting. Although... If you could get enough people together IC... You could literally In-Story break away, go buy a ship and construct a faction instead of starting one out with all the resources. Just an added though.

In that case, though, you would have to write their allegiance as "Double Agent" and name the two factions involved in brackets.

As for taking over one of the factions... Good luck. Not saying it's impossible, but they've got lots of resources, weapons, ships, and soldiers. Unless you construct a versatile army to prevent people from snagging the main spot, it's gonna be a hard road.

I'm kind of tempted to make a Po-Toa version of Ahab, name my spaceship the Peequod and make a faction dedicated to hunting down and killing Mr. Crunchy.

Yes I know that didn't end well for the actual Ahab but hey, he didn't have the power to control rock with his mind

Why does this sound familiar...?

It wouldn't be a breeze, mind you, but enough Po-Toa together could force back Mr. Crunchy... If Toa become a playable species. Then I'd have to work around people adding in attachments to enhance mental abilities, especially Psionic Toa, etc. etc. But it might happen.

And while, yes important things like what happened to Nato can happen from time to time it's usually just two weeks to a month of posts between that player and the GM that add very little to the overall game.

Rare circumstance. If you've got a group of four or five it makes things more likely.

He already has faction motherships, I was just saying that most of the day-to-day travel tends to be done via dropships.

Most of the time.

Possibly... Someone still may want to leave the extremely slow way anyway, in which case the Crunchy. And if it fails? eliminate Crunchy; he's not an important character in any way.

And on that note, how would Mr. Crunchy be able to jump across systems to eat people anyway? From my understanding, he's just a large asteroid monster floating around in space, right? Without a hyperdrive himself (or at least a similar ability), he couldn't get to people fast enough to gobble them up in the first place.

Here's another question: how do comets maintain movement? Gravity arcing around planets.

Mr. Crunchy is simply a rock mass, its course being altered constantly thanks to gravitational movement. On another note: Crunchy's profile specifies it growing in size, but don't expect that to happen IC. He's going to remain the same, massive size, and never going to grow any further to prevent difficulty in destroying him later.

I also seem to recall one of Nato's characters going off on his own at the beginning of MuP, and as a result of that, an ancient A.I. ended up building itself a body and is now currently trying to subjugate the entire island.

To be fair, someone was always going to wind up visiting that location, and that AI was always going to wind up doing what it did. It just so happened that my lone character got there before any of the groups did. 

Space is just a little bit bigger than the island of Mata Nui...

It wouldn't be a breeze, mind you, but enough Po-Toa together could force back Mr. Crunchy... If Toa become a playable species. Then I'd have to work around people adding in attachments to enhance mental abilities, especially Psionic Toa, etc. etc. But it might happen.

I would suggest making one of the gadgets in the armor something that prevents elements from being used directly on the body.

Possibly... Someone still may want to leave the extremely slow way anyway,

This is literally a way that somebody would end their character if they did not want to just kill them.

Here's another question: how do comets maintain movement? Gravity arcing around planets.

It's space, the empty void, nothing there to slow it down.

Mr. Crunchy is not going to be traveling between star systems in anything under sixty years. And that's assuming that he never slows down, is already traveling at a significant portion of the speed of light, and the two star systems are almost right next to each other.

• Upvote 3

zsUPm2E.jpg?1

Another thing I've been wondering about, really rather relatively minor, how did Mr. Crunchy wind up with such a, quite frankly, silly name? Wouldn't something menacing like 'The Devourer' or a Bonkle-gibberish like 'Poraktor' fit better thematically in the Bionicle universe? Because I really can't imagine some unfortunate Skakdi explorer or Xian scientist discovering this gigantic carnivorous rock thing and calling it Mr. Crunchy. And even if for some crazy reason they did, I doubt the rest of the universe would follow suit.

(Unless of course you're just using that as a placeholder title, or only OOC, in which case you can ignore this post.)

• Upvote 1

00_gaeas_reaper.jpgjrfightmeditatesmaller.gif00_shadowboxer.jpg

I would suggest making one of the gadgets in the armor something that prevents elements from being used directly on the body.

Good thought. Would you mind PMing me an idea? I... Haven't got any. :(

Another thing I've been wondering about, really rather relatively minor, how did Mr. Crunchy wind up with such a, quite frankly, silly name? Wouldn't something menacing like 'The Devourer' or a Bonkle-gibberish like 'Poraktor' fit better thematically in the Bionicle universe? Because I really can't imagine some unfortunate Skakdi explorer or Xian scientist discovering this gigantic carnivorous rock thing and calling it Mr. Crunchy. And even if for some crazy reason they did, I doubt the rest of the universe would follow suit.

(Unless of course you're just using that as a placeholder title, or only OOC, in which case you can ignore this post.)

Mr. Crunchy is the generic name for it. Each faction would have its own definition, and even each player, but Mr. Crunchy Is a rough street name for him, mostly because something like "Specimen X-22.O9" doesn't sound so well.

Empire Hand would have the scientific title, Dead Conquest would have the menacing, adventurous title, Dark Horizon would have the scary and rather rude title, etc. etc., and it is an OOC title. It's a multi-purpose name.

(Then again why did I put such an effort into the name of an expendable pile of rock?)

Bonkle-gibberish

This... Says so much.

Eh, I don't think there's anything wrong with calling the big rock monster Mr. Crunchy. Its the sort of name I can actually imagine worn and weary spacefarers calling the mortal nemesis who lies in wait for them to make just one mistake. Its not like we don't do the exact same thing. I brought up Moby Dick earlier, he was based on actual whale with a similar reputation called Mocha Dick. Because nothing strikes fear into peoples hearts like an infamous breaker of ships called Chocolatey Richard. Likewise a certain lion in the news lately, who wasn't given a name meaning "king" or some noble word from the local language. Nope, we called him Cecil.

On the subject of distance and travel times, have you considered limiting the setting a little? Maybe instead of giving us the whole of space we're mainly based around a gas giant with a large number of moons and some decent sized chunks in its ring system. The more adventurous (and prepared) can head out try to discover other planets in the solar system, but for anyone else there's things (relatively) close by

• Upvote 1

7AOYGDJ.jpg

On the subject of distance and travel times, have you considered limiting the setting a little? Maybe instead of giving us the whole of space we're mainly based around a gas giant with a large number of moons and some decent sized chunks in its ring system. The more adventurous (and prepared) can head out try to discover other planets in the solar system, but for anyone else there's things (relatively) close by

^ This

Maybe each faction can 'own' 1 planet in one solar system, giving them moons (and other 'neutral' planets in SS) to explore. This would make hyperdrive unnecessary with better player spread control.

My plan is to have one or two planets discovered immediately, and bases set up there.

See, this will be the near center of the universe for the game.  Planets nearby will be the main two, and he Junk Dealer. Spreading out will occur from there.

Also, fair warning: Junk Dealer's stuff still works, so trying to attack him will end with a merciless assault of machinery.

That probably would be slightly better for plot purposes, now that I think about it.

I initially didn't want to say anything concerning this, since the early draft seemed to have sort of a "No Man's Sky" type of vibe to go along with it (which I was all for), but going with the "less is more" type of philosophy would most likely help out a lot in the grand scheme of things.

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé: