Rafiki

Hey, its's my contest model. Theme was - Character, need to make chr from movie, cartoon or video game, so I've decided to make this super freaky mandril. But i really don't have enought pieces for make body on same level as head. Just need to make huuuuge bricklink order) So, hope you'll enjoy it)

d8aMbFDFw4A.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62087062@N07/

• Upvote 14

Yesyesyes. One of my favorite characters, so well built. Maybe the body and legs could look better, but I think the arms and hands are excellent. And of course the PU on the head is super-accurate and top-notch. How do you think of this stuff? Love how natural the white fur looks.

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

There are many, many MOCs that look really good zoomed out far, but when you zoom in, they don't look very good -- not so here! Piece usage is brilliant. Not only is the overall image (highly accurate, at least judging from my awful memory lol -- and) really cool-looking, it was fun to stare at the screen and try to figure out what each pieces was. The dino heads for the eyes were tricky to figure out at first but really impressed me once I realized what they were. Nose/snout design is also especially good. "Mane" (or whatever the right term is) really good too.

Body design being much simpler, more traditional Bionicle MOC is an interesting choice. I think it works here. Draws the attention to the brilliance in the face design, and sometimes I think many MOCs have too much custom just for the heck of it (though nothing wrong with that, heh). I like the idea of using what LEGO makes available and then where they don't have something, build up from there, and this seems to do that well. Hand design loses points for lack of poseability, but still clever piece usage, and works as a "statue MOC". Base is forgettable but oh well (what does it matter? It's in the past... okay I couldn't resist...).

Great job!

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Dang, son.

That's impressive. The head in particular just screams Rafiki. Good job.

-TNTOS-

Edited by TNTOS

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

I have not seen the Lion King in a long time, and don't even remember who Rafiki is, but I still recognized him instantly when I saw the little picture on the news page. That is something hard to achieve, having a MOC that's so instantly recognizable.

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

Holy cow, this looks great. Its head looks exactly like Rafiki's. It's almost like looking at a picture of him! The only thing that would make this even better is if he had his staff, but this is still awesome as is. Great job!

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanna say that this is seriously neat. The face is the important part, so pulling that off so convincingly is a serious attention-grabber. Maybe a bit nightmare fuel inducing, however--the whole thing looks like a sinister, deranged robo-mandrill. Very interesting figure, regardless.

Formerly LavaMaster32, circa 2002. I got misty-eyed for this place again. R.I.P. Greatest Lego Franchise Ever.