OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

I hope they move away from old foes. I'm fine with having some of the same Toa, Matoran and Turaga for a while (especially in the beginning to bridge the classic series to the modern series with iconic characters) but I want it to feel like a new story. I want new characters, unexplored settings, new enemies, etc. 2001-2003 wasn't my favorite feel in all of Bionicle (that'd be 2004-2005 with Metru Nui the ironically futuristic city from the past and the post-apocalyptic contrast) but I'll gladly give it a spin, just hope there's still some sci-fi in there somewhere.

What I would like is for there to be new villains, but with old ones appearing sparingly throughout the series to lead up to some climax later on. 

If it's a continuation, I'd be glad to see TSO, Dark Hunters, Barraki, etc. but if it's a reboot, which is what seems most likely, I'd like to have new foes. I'm ok with some old ones, but I'd rather they bring new ideas to the table.

I hope they move away from old foes. I'm fine with having some of the same Toa, Matoran and Turaga for a while (especially in the beginning to bridge the classic series to the modern series with iconic characters) but I want it to feel like a new story. I want new characters, unexplored settings, new enemies, etc. 2001-2003 wasn't my favorite feel in all of Bionicle (that'd be 2004-2005 with Metru Nui the ironically futuristic city from the past and the post-apocalyptic contrast) but I'll gladly give it a spin, just hope there's still some sci-fi in there somewhere.

What I would like is for there to be new villains, but with old ones appearing sparingly throughout the series to lead up to some climax later on. 

Exactly.

But I can get what is meant by the Bohrok being less flexible in terms of design. But I still feel that it can be done and done well with some changes. And like I said, they don't have to have the same origins and purpose as before. That can always be made different.

But I definitely want some new foes. The old ones were pretty great, but rehashing or bringing back every villain we've ever had would make it feel like the story isn't moving forward anymore/going in new directions.

What a weird way to strawman.

Sadly, these were actual legit complaints in past times. Just you wait.

The time I remember people complaining masks looked nothing like the Hau, Kaukau, etc....... was when they really didn't. I don't remember a lot of complaints when a Hau actually looked like a Hau.

I guess whether or not the Mistika masks were good-looking is a matter of opinion (I personally thought they were pretty hideous), but it's pretty much objective fact that they looked nothing like the masks they were supposed to be at all.

I remember complaints when a Hau looked like a Hau. Remember Lhikan? His mask was generally similar to the Hau, if significantly reimagined. But I still remember a few complaints that it "looked nothing like a Hau". In fact, I even remember hearing some people complain that Stars Tahu's Hau "ruined" the original. Despite being virtually identical apart from slightly different proportions. People will always find something to complain about.

The Mistika masks truly didn't look much like the original Kanohi Nuva, but then again, I remember the Kanohi Nuva receiving a huge amount of criticism for their blobby and organic shape, so perhaps Lego was trying to counteract that. As usual, try to please everyone and you end up pleasing no one.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The time I remember people complaining masks looked nothing like the Hau, Kaukau, etc....... was when they really didn't. I don't remember a lot of complaints when a Hau actually looked like a Hau.

You are sorely mistaken. Half in the comments to this comparison photo complain about the Hau being messed up or ruined. Likewise, somebody on this very site complained about the new BIONICLE logo being too "kiddish" because it's a few microns wider, and people have complained about the use of the word "magic" to describe the newest of the magical masks the BIONICLE theme has always had. Some people will complain about any changes whatsoever, no matter how insignificant.

A Bohrok seems pretty impossible to me with CCBS; their distinctive shape was only possible because of their highly specialized parts, something CCBS is moving away from at high speed. If we ever got a Bohrok, I can guarantee people would be disappointed when it can no longer roll up into a ball.

Yeah, I was actually looking at an inventory earlier. 22 out of 41 parts — In other words, more than 50% of each Bohrok's parts — were brand-new molds. As for designs, each Bohrok included twelve new part designs and only eight old designs (counting the rubber band holder). So 75% of their part designs were brand-new (even more if you count the canisters and canister lids). This sort of ratio might make sense if, for instance, you're introducing a building system that you expect to use extensively for years to come. But many Bohrok parts including their torso beams, head beams, Krana, Krana holders, many of their shields, and both of their new gear designs were barely used for any sets other than Bohrok, Bohrok Va, or Bohrok-Kal.

I suppose it's still better than the first wave of Hero Factory heroes (in which eleven out of sixteen parts on average and eight out of eleven designs in each hero were brand-new and most were never used again), but I think even most Hero Factory fans would acknowledge that that's setting the bar pretty low.

• Upvote 1

You are sorely mistaken. Half in the comments to this comparison photo complain about the Hau being messed up or ruined. Likewise, somebody on this very site complained about the new BIONICLE logo being too "kiddish" because it's a few microns wider, and people have complained about the use of the word "magic" to describe the newest of the magical masks the BIONICLE theme has always had. Some people will complain about any changes whatsoever, no matter how insignificant.

fishers' post seemed to imply the Mistika masks, though, which, in my eyes, was a completely valid criticism of it, and honestly, at least on this site, I saw far less complaining about the Stars Hau than about the Mistika Hau.

Sure, there will always be complaining. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't ask yourself if a criticism is justified, instead of immediately dismissing it as whining.

EDIT: I may as well clarify. The difference between someone disliking Mistika Tahu and disliking Stars Tahu is a pretty vast gulf, IMO. Tahu Stars wasn't a perfect set, but he had the original's colors, a mask almost identical to the 2001 version, and a weapon evocative of his element and of his original incarnation. Meanwhile, Mistika Tahu had none of these. His colors were muted and monochrome, instead of vibrant and thematic, his mask was unrecognizable as any form of Hau, with only a vague idea of the original distinctive mouth hole, and a shield so generic you could have given it to any of the Toa and it wouldn't look out of place.

Simply put, Tahu Stars, and even Tahu Nuva, are far superior to Mistika Tahu as far as actually representing the character, as they completely evoke the feeling of him as a character, even if they have their own shortcomings, while Mistika Tahu could have any name at all, since nothing about him characterizes him as a Toa of Fire at all, let alone Tahu.

Edited by Lucina
  • Upvote 5

fishers' post seemed to imply the Mistika masks, though, which, in my eyes, was a completely valid criticism of it, and honestly, at least on this site, I saw far less complaining about the Stars Hau than about the Mistika Hau.

Sure, there will always be complaining. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't ask yourself if a criticism is justified, instead of immediately dismissing it as whining.

The problem was that "they look different" was usually followed by "so they're bad" for the Phantoka/Mistika.  In general, really.  It's like a bunch of people suddenly forgot that huge mask changes were the norm.

• Upvote 5

OpAXNpl.jpg

Yep, that's what I meant. 

And that one is completely justified, seeing as they were ugly. You are correct. And sadly, that was a legit criticism in past days...

...see what I mean? 

I think that what we've learned here is that if the story isn't exactly the same as '01, there's going to be a subculture/movement/faction/sect/cult/micro-nation that's going to be formed to protest 2015. 

Not exactly; I think anyone can agree getting a straight repeat of the 2001 story would be a complete disappointment, because we already got the 2001 story 13 years ago. It'd be like if every Transformers movie had the same plot of the 1986 movie.

What most people want is a return to the feel of 2001-03. That was what most people loved the most about Bionicle, and also the era of the highest sales, therefore most likely to be the era LEGO would most want to recapture for this to be a success. Considering we seem to be looking at a mask quest, we may very well be on the right track.

I want the feel of the 07/08 sets. I'd never been more excited to buy Bionicles during the underwater series because it was when the sets got really unique and weren't based on the same body shape for each canister series. I really didn't like the Metru Nui series, and I don't remember much of 01-3.

Edited by bioniclepluslotr

A short update on stuff on Lego.com.

1. Typing "Bionicle" into the search bar does redirect to the "Coming Soon" page again.

2. On the FAQ's page, they've finally removed "At this time we have no plans to bring back BIONICLE".

3. Bionicle.com and Bioniclestory.com still redirect to the Lego.com homepage.

On a second note, how about the reveal tomorrow? I am personally hoping for reveal of, maybe, the main villain (besides Lord of ***** *******), or a small snippet of story. Then winter waves sets are revealed at NYCC.

sig.jpg

It seems a bit early to reveal the main villain, considering the original line didn't do so in any sort of official capacity until three years in. Before that, all we got was an infected Matoran representing Makuta. I'd be surprised if they revealed the villain before the heroes.

I actually wouldn't be surprised. Showing the main villain first and then introducing the heroes destined to stop it is actually a very smart idea."Here's the big bad ugly dude that looks real evil, and here's the cool good guys you're gonna root for because they're the ones who are gonna kick his ars."

It seems a bit early to reveal the main villain, considering the original line didn't do so in any sort of official capacity until three years in. Before that, all we got was an infected Matoran representing Makuta. I'd be surprised if they revealed the villain before the heroes.

I actually wouldn't be surprised. Showing the main villain first and then introducing the heroes destined to stop it is actually a very smart idea."Here's the big bad ugly dude that looks real evil, and here's the cool good guys you're gonna root for because they're the ones who are gonna kick his ars."

Has anyone else found themselves rooting for the bad guys before?

• Upvote 3

Makuta: No, except Krika.  Why'd Krika have to die too? :(

Skrall: No, except Branar.

Piraka: No.  Well, unless you count Vezon...

Teridax: No.

Barraki: Yep, especially Takadox.

Roodaka and Sidorak: Does pitying Sidorak count?

Did I miss any main bad guys?

HF:

Von Nebula: No.

Fire Villains: No.

Witch Doctor: No.

Legion of Darkness: No.

Core Hunter: See previous answer.

Galactic conspiracy guys: Look at the other answers, then guess.

• Upvote 2

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

The problem was that "they look different" was usually followed by "so they're bad" for the Phantoka/Mistika.  In general, really.  It's like a bunch of people suddenly forgot that huge mask changes were the norm.

To be fair, the Nuva masks aren't nearly as popular as the originals either. I'd take the Mata designs over the Nuva designs any day. 

Krika was much easier to root for before Greg basically said he only wanted to stop the Toa Nuva because he was selfish, not because he had any good intentions.

Yeah, but Greg says one thing and then writes something completely different. We all know love isn't canon, but that didn't stop him from writing in a bunch of sexual tension between Matau and Nokama. "Nesting," anybody?

• Upvote 2

Krika was much easier to root for before Greg basically said he only wanted to stop the Toa Nuva because he was selfish, not because he had any good intentions.

Did Greg say that on BZP or something?  Because Krika seemed genuine in the books.

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Did Greg say that on BZP or something?  Because Krika seemed genuine in the books.

I prefer to take what the books say as canon, and Greg's commentary on the side.

I can't recall where he said it, just that it's his usual response to all Krika questions. Greg is determined to make all Makuta evil.

Well that's disappointing to hear. I always found Krika fascinating because he seemed to sort of regret what he and the other Makuta had done, and what they had become. 

E: learn grammar and spelling voltex gosh

Yeah, the books pretty much stated that upfront as well. I'll take the book over Greg's word in this case, to be honest.

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

Yeah, Roodaka, but only after she turned neutral.

Ugh... trying to think of something to say, but really, all my ideas or theories are based on stuff thats

depositphotos_11439071-Bottle-of-water-l

• Upvote 7

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

Makuta: No, except Krika.  Why'd Krika have to die too? :(

Skrall: No, except Branar.

Piraka: No.  Well, unless you count Vezon...

Teridax: No.

Barraki: Yep, especially Takadox.

Roodaka and Sidorak: Does pitying Sidorak count?

Did I miss any main bad guys?

HF:

Von Nebula: No.

Fire Villains: No.

Witch Doctor: No.

Legion of Darkness: No.

Core Hunter: See previous answer.

Galactic conspiracy guys: Look at the other answers, then guess.

I love Krika, when I started seriously getting into BIONICLE I saw Krika in a catalog and said "I have to get this set" I never did. :( I'm pro-sequel, but if we do get a reboot it would be awesome if we saw some returning bad guys. I would love a redesign of him, or at least in the books (which were confirmed by Greg in the LMB if I remember correctly)

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

I love Krika, when I started seriously getting into BIONICLE I saw Krika in a catalog and said "I have to get this set" I never did. :( I'm pro-sequel, but if we do get a reboot it would be awesome if we saw some returning bad guys. I would love a redesign of him, or at least in the books (which were confirmed by Greg in the LMB if I remember correctly)

He dead.

Edited by bioniclepluslotr

Krika was amazing and probably the most interesting makuta for me. I never saw him as a complete bad guy because it seemed like he forced himself to follow Teridax's plan because biologically he was part of the brotherhood. But I never root for the bad guys. Ever. Because there's a reason that bad guys exist in stories. They're meant to challenge the heroes, and are made to destroy/cause chaos and be evil. People say villains are underrated but that's not true. I have sympathy for them, but it's the heroes that end up not getting the credit, because they're the ones that risk their lives for others, good and justice. They're usually the ones that have to go through the trials and pain to bring back the balance. And sometimes, people might not even see them as heroes, adding to their burden. Villains are made to destroy and do it for selfish reasons. But it's always heroes that carry the burden of goodness and selflessness. I'd rather root for someone that has morals and it willing to make sacrifices for the bigger picture. It's important to have well developed heroes and villains, but it's always the heroes I'll be rooting for.

But true, in many cases there are cool characters which are fun to follow like Vezon and such. But I always will look to good to thrive in the end.

I'm a bit disappointed with this one, it doesn't give anymore information about bio 2015 just some behind the scenes stuff, all we got is a better look at the new head piece(which reminds me of the toa metru heads). Also am I the only one who's getting sick of hearing about the mask of creation, seriously it's just a mask there's gonna be more to this new line then just that.

It's time to move on.

I'm a bit disappointed with this one, it doesn't give anymore information about bio 2015 just some behind the scenes stuff, all we got is a better look at the new head piece(which reminds me of the toa metru heads). Also am I the only one who's getting sick of hearing about the mask of creation, seriously it's just a mask there's gonna be more to this new line then just that.

Really? Is that the only thing you gleaned from the pictures? XD

Because I totally noticed the industrial backgrounds present in almost all the painted concepts!

That leads me to believe this story will start in a Metru Nui like setting.

Also, looking at how the mask attaches to the head, forget the traditional axel pin set up.

-I was infected for the most part on April the 1st 7.gifBEWARE

An interesting thing to note is that the mask seems to rest form-fittingly onto the head (which explains how weirdly smooth it is inside). In other words, it cannot swing.

In other other words, there's no reason to give it much friction at all.

Some shakier, more speculative observations

• that groove in the mouth area again makes me think we're definitely looking at a reimagining of the 2001 faces
  • the little mask nubs look like they rest too high up on this head to properly align with the axle holes on previous heads; they look like they're half a studs width higher, roundabout. if this head is the same height as BA/Glatorian heads, it would be impossible to attach it at all. it might be completely backwards incompatible altogether.

EDIT: oh good lord I haven't had this hard a time accessing this site since, like, 2008

Edited by Lucina

Really? Is that the only thing you gleaned from the pictures? XD

Because I totally noticed the industrial backgrounds present in almost all the painted concepts!

That leads me to believe this story will start in a Metru Nui like setting.

Also, looking at how the mask attaches to the head, forget the traditional axel pin set up.

The concept art is clearly from very early in development so it might not represent the final product, and I'm only seeing this industrial city in one of images, as far as I'm concerned the others could be anything. Also I noticed the mask attachment points from the first time I saw the 360 degree view of the mask.

It's time to move on.

Yeah, I think the backgrounds of these pictures aren't of much real significance, except the Technic logo being present. I wonder what that's about?

Anyway I'm really excited about the new heads. Especially if they have a brain-stalk and aren't completely transparent. It's like Lego has been listening to all of my wishes!  :D Hooray!

"Hurry, you guys, it's amazing!  It's Keetongu!  Not."  --Matau

That was kinda disappointing.  Ah well, Comic-Con's only *checks BS01* 12 days away. 

"I must say, I'm... disappointed." --unknown movie, possibly Bionicle?

And I've not seen the forums go down like that in a while.

We also learned that the mask probably has an owner, instead of being up for grabs like we thought.

We don't know that for sure. These were just concept images of how the mask could look, and how it might look on a figure. That doesn't directly imply that it will have a wearer. Though it still is possible it could. I find it unlikely, especially since in all the official images/looks we've gotten so far show the mask by-itself implying that it is an un-owned artifact. Again, we don't know for sure.

• Upvote 2

I love seeing concept art! I'm pretty happy with the final mask.

But man, I do not miss BZP's servers being busy. :P

TAK

It took me like six tries to finally get on the Forums. I don't even want to think about how the forums will be when NYCC happens. 

We also learned that the mask probably has an owner, instead of being up for grabs like we thought.

I guess that could be true, but they also could've just make the art with someone wearing the mask so that they could see what it looked like with someone wearing it. I think its still very possible that the mask needs to be found, kind of like the Ignika was back in 06 and 07.

Edit: Second reply was ninja'd. :P

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I love seeing concept art! I'm pretty happy with the final mask.

But man, I do not miss BZP's servers being busy. :P

TAK

It took me like six tries to finally get on the Forums. I don't even want to think about how the forums will be when NYCC happens. 

I guess that could be true, but they also could've just make the art with someone wearing the mask so that they could see what it looked like with someone wearing it. I think its still very possible that the mask needs to be found, kind of like the Ignika was back in 06 and 07.

Edit: Second reply was ninja'd. :P

Oh man, it feels good to be a ninja!

But man, it would suck if the forums crashed again when we get news from NYCC. Then we'd really have no place to discuss things! (Okay, not completely true, but I really don't want to have to start registering for other sites right about now.)

I'm excited for the new head design. It's a little strange though how Lego can't seem to settle on one design even after all these years. Meh, whatevs. This one looks good though, and it would be cool if it had a face hole that allowed old masks to be attached, though I'm totally cool if it doesn't. \

And I know it's real early for this, but I'm wondering about what the summer wave is gonna be. I imagine some sort of titan sets? We have to get the Mask of Creation somehow. (right?...)

I agree with you, Makaru, but remember, the Ignika was only made available in gold in 2009, three years after it was originally introduced, and even then, it was only available in an overpriced titan set. So I'd say that unless the Mask of Creation is actually going to be worn properly by someone, it will probably only be released as part of some type of special event or limited bonus piece, like the Vahi was.

VBWj75sh.png