OFFICIAL Bionicle 2015 Topic

Makaru

Hey guys, what do you think we'll get in the second wave? What kind of villains will be released?

Maybe Makuta, Ekimu and the Mask of Ultimate Power!

Doubt it, I'm almost 100% sure that they'll give each mask a different line in a different year, or at least different lines.

Maybe Makuta/Ekimu will be released in the summer wave, but if LEGO releases everything in the summer wave it'll be like HF, every year has a "complete" story/mission on it's own.

Hey guys, what do you think we'll get in the second wave? What kind of villains will be released?

I hope we get six sets. Given that the antagonist we've seen is a giant spider, I hope they don't just release six different color spiders, unless they really bring something spectacular to the table.

Maybe Makuta, Ekimu and the Mask of Ultimate Power!

Wouldn't they be Protector sized figures since they were just regular people?

Well, both Makuta and Ekirmu have unique masks, singling them out as clearly different from Protectors, not to mention their great skills and power. They'd probably be Titans, I think. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

From their builds in the 'toon, they are Protector sized. If they were going to be in a set, I wouldn't think a two-pack Lego store exclusive would be out of the question.

My brother and some other people were observing that while Makuta and Ekimu are protector-sized, they do appear as though they might have gear functions like the Toa (which is possible since they each have a "wider" torso build like the Protector of Fire).

A two-pack store exclusive would seem like something that would make sense for those characters. With that said... store exclusives rarely include any exclusive new molds, and a set containing Makuta and Ekimu would need two of them for their two masks. Unless, of course, the masks were also put in additional sets, but it's hard to think of what set might be a better fit for those masks than the characters who wore them.

• Upvote 1

i could be wrong about this, but to me the models in the cartoon for Makuta and Ekimu feel a lot like placeholders. Their build is almost exactly that of the Protector of Fire, except for the shoulder armor, masks, and a gear thrown on the back. (Plus, they're built exactly the same besides their masks; I thought we had moved past clone sets :P)

• Upvote 1

From their builds in the 'toon, they are Protector sized. If they were going to be in a set, I wouldn't think a two-pack Lego store exclusive would be out of the question.

My brother and some other people were observing that while Makuta and Ekimu are protector-sized, they do appear as though they might have gear functions like the Toa (which is possible since they each have a "wider" torso build like the Protector of Fire).

A two-pack store exclusive would seem like something that would make sense for those characters. With that said... store exclusives rarely include any exclusive new molds, and a set containing Makuta and Ekimu would need two of them for their two masks. Unless, of course, the masks were also put in additional sets, but it's hard to think of what set might be a better fit for those masks than the characters who wore them.

Couldn't they just release them as Protector-size sets in the future, if they wanted to?

Couldn't they just release them as Protector-size sets in the future, if they wanted to?

Probably not if they have gear functions like they seem to (and given the hammers they wield as weapons, gear functions would make sense). They'd be pushing the Protector price point if they contained the same gearboxes that the Toa use, and that would be the most efficient way to work a gear function onto a set that size. I sketched a version of Ekimu on LDD that could be built this way (LINK).

And again, the real question is whether Lego would get the most profit by releasing two of the most special, highly sought-after masks we know of in the new theme in small, cheap sets. Typically legendary masks and main antagonists are made the subject or partial subject of a larger set, to make sure those larger sets offer something that buyers can't get in anything else.

With that in mind, if Ekimu and Makuta do appear in sets in those forms, I expect them to appear in separate sets (no point in making a set that gets you both brand new, unique masks), and most likely in a set with a steed or vehicle that could bump them up to the size of a large set (like Turaga Dume and Nivawk, Toa Ignika, or Vezon and Fenrakk).

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I REALLY like the new sets, particularly Gali. She's been my second favorite Toa (after Hahli,) for some reason even though I don't have any of her sets.

Hahli Mahri was awesome, I don't think anyone dislikes that set. It must have been a shock when you saw 2008 Gali though...

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

I REALLY like the new sets, particularly Gali. She's been my second favorite Toa (after Hahli,) for some reason even though I don't have any of her sets.

Hahli Mahri was awesome, I don't think anyone dislikes that set. It must have been a shock when you saw 2008 Gali though...

The joints, man. The Joints.

• Upvote 4

"Onua gazes upon the Earth and sees riches. It is our Duty to dig, and our Destiny to find them"

- Aiyetoro

Gali isn't manly. She's well built this time around and doesn't look like a scrawny skeleton with a scuba mask nor a Spec Ops soldier with a rocket launcher. She actually looks like a hero since her 2002 design.

Agreed. Gali actually looks more "feminine" than any previous Toa ever did, with a well-shaped mask and a well-proportioned figure. Maybe the chestplate is what's making people think of her as "manly", but that's ignoring the fact that "boob armor" is unrealistic and slightly sexist, and that the Super Heroes chest armor wouldn't be that unrealistic for a muscular female build anyway.

• Upvote 2

She has my favorite of the new designs and I am totally keeping an eye out for her. You think they'll be out for Christmas this year?

There are almost certainly going to be retailers which break the street date, as there are every year. But I can't guarantee whether those will include stores in your area.

• Upvote 1

Hopefully more villains or actual titans (like 200+ pce titans, not these pseudo ones). Maybe they'll do a Bionicle 2001 and limit the second wave to just larger Rahi-like creatures.

Other comments I read and would like to respond too:

A shame that Lewa isn't Mata green! But bright green is a lot better than another dark green character so I am okay. Gali not being Mata blue is also a shame but I it looks close enough. Brighter is better!

I like the return of purple, as limited as it is. Trans purple is better than no purple.

-NotS

• Upvote 2

tahubanner.jpg

but that's ignoring the fact that "boob armor" is unrealistic and slightly sexist

of course that doesn't stop people from drawing her with it :P

Hey, I don't have anything against people putting their own spin on the characters. If someone wants to draw Gali (or any of the male Toa, for that matter) with a sexier look, and the result is well-drawn and doesn't exceed the limits of good taste, I might actually like it! But the set itself doesn't need that sort of thing, not just for moral reasons but because the new Gali looks plenty feminine even with the existing, more versatile, and more realistic chest armor piece.

Edited by Lyichir

Gali looks fine to me. Sure, she looks less feminine, but it's as feminine as we ever got. The reason why she looks less feminine is because she shares the same general look/build as the other toa with the chest pieces. It's not such a big deal to me. Plus little kids who just buy the sets and don't care for the story much won't bother too much about her gender. To them, sets are sets.

This looks like the most feminine Gali yet, IMO.

• Upvote 4

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

I agree. Her mask feels much more feminine than any of her previous ones (kind of like her classic Kaukau blended with the movie version of the Kaukau Nuva), and her build is androgynous enough to work for either gender — considerably less masculine than the proportions of her 2002 and 2008 designs.

• Upvote 4

I don't mind Gali- it'll be my first Gali when they come out.

Edited by Turaga Jack

Follow the light...

The Hype Train will take you to it

Follow me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/JTHStudio

Also, watch my new BIONICLE Short: "How BIONICLE Really Came Back" http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/15938-how-bionicle-really-came-back-a-brickfilm/

I disagree, this Gali still looks more like a man plus her mask don't remind me of the Mata Kaukau but someone else mask (same go to Cyberman Lewa) and the man chest...      man chest.

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube

Real talk, when the pictures first came out for Black Phantom, I was *sighing* over what was going to obviously be the next Roodaka. That chest piece is the best feminine chest Lego has ever made. Which is incredibly unfair, now that I think about it, because Roodaka's is easily the worst.

Edited by Makaru
  • Upvote 3

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I disagree, this Gali still looks more like a man plus her mask don't remind me of the Mata Kaukau but someone else mask (same go to Cyberman Lewa) and the man chest...      man chest.

GaliMovie.png640px-70786-gali-top-image.jpg

I would agree that the mask that Gali, Master of Water wears is more reminiscent of the Kaukau Nuva(specifically as it was depicted in the first movie) as opposed to any other mask present the the Bionicle series(if you want to look through the wiki to find one better fitting, seriously be my guest, 'cause that would be pretty neat to see)

As for Lewa, yeah, I'm going to have to agree with you on that one, don't have a possible turn or change of how to view his mask really... Yeah, if someone could line up all four variations of the different Toa's masks, that would be great to see. It would be nice to be able to properly compare them I think.

As for looking more like a man, what other builds are you comparing this one to? It can't be the Mata or Nuva builds, as they were no more masculine/feminine than the other Toa of there respective years. Nokama's Metru and Hordika build were basically palette swaps of the other Toa as well, as was Hahli Inika(and she had a tube mustache!) I don't really see any of the Mahri builds being "feminine," shriveled in the case of Matoro, mayhaps, but not feminine. The Phantoka/Mistika year, well, bulky builds using Inika and Piraka torsos for the most part, again all bulky characters(with the exception of some Makuta, who looked kinda shriveled to me)

The Glatorian/agori builds were, well, some were kinda lithe looking(Gresh for instance) but for the most part were very much not feminine.

Lastly, I probably should mention Roodaka, but, well, can Titan builds be fairly compared to standard character builds? They get more room to work with, allowing for more decorative armour and such.

Now, it is most likely that I am miss interpreting what you mean by feminine, in fact I'm almost certain of it, so if you could sort of give an example of a feminine character, well that would be most fantastic actually.

I also should point out that while this probably will sound/look confrontational, I am actually interested in this, mean no offense, and would like to hear/read your opinion on this.

Anywho, that's the largest post I've ever made...

• Upvote 1

mnog3d_banner.jpg

biofight042_banner_plasmarun.png

-END OF LINE-

Gali is the most feminine of that group. The truth is that there is variety among female bodies like anything else in the world, and a few girls do look like that shape around the chest and jawline (it's flat on the top w/ the flares on the bottom to represent the appendages). :shrugs: The bulked-up shoulders strike me as the least feminine - but this is biomechanical, so it doesn't have to look like the genuine article. 

IMO it probably shouldn't anyway. :P

Edited by fishers64

The Glatorian/agori builds were, well, some were kinda lithe looking(Gresh for instance) but for the most part were very much not feminine.

Well...

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090708074254/bionicle/images/0/07/Kiina.jpg

Corpus Rahkshi: Shock, Mortsia, Draco,  Dahl, and Carraig 

RPG score card:
Bionifight Infinite

08954f34332a96d31850e49325e8f196.jpg

Looking at the picture again, I can see why people argue that Gali looks so masculine, but it still doesn't bug me that much. Could be MOC'd well with a twinge of effort.

And about her mask being masculine... I mean I always felt that the masks should all be neutral for everyone to use. Their masks shouldn't have to be a direct reflection of their gender, but rather their gender being reflected in their personalities and character.

• Upvote 1

Well...

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090708074254/bionicle/images/0/07/Kiina.jpg

Welp, you see my foot over there, in what appears to be my mouth? That's a hallucination caused by you not drinking enough.

However I will admit that not having actually seen the set for Kiina I couldn't really make an accurate statement, as evidenced right there, see me not having made an accurate statement? That's not you hallucinating, that's me not having all the info and thus making an inaccurate statement. Kiina is one that does look kinda feminine without looking either horribly twisted up, possessing ridiculous non-mammalian mammaries, or looking overly anorexic in some way.

Edited by The Undertaken
  • Upvote 1

mnog3d_banner.jpg

biofight042_banner_plasmarun.png

-END OF LINE-

Reply to The Undertaken: 

Well when I say that Gali still looking like a man is that there is nothing different from her (and other female bionicle and HF sets) then the other builds that make her more feminine from the other Master and same go to the Mata, Nuva and same with the other female character sets like Hahli and Nokama, they all have the same builds as the other 5. Also just too make a note is that I was talking about the normal size build like the Masters, Inika and Metru, not something like Roodaka...        Also you forgotten one glatorian by the name of Kiina.

Reply to fishers64:

I don't see how she is feminine out of the 5, she have the same build like all the others like Pohatu but you do make a good point about the biomechanical.

Makaru:

ummmm...      what, I don't get how that chest armor would be "the best feminine chest".  :???:

And about her mask being masculine... I mean I always felt that the masks should all be neutral for everyone to use. Their masks shouldn't have to be a direct reflection of their gender, but rather their gender being reflected in their personalities and character.

I agree 100%

:akakunu: My Topics :akakunu:

MOCs: Construct-a-Astronaut

:voyanui: Find Me On :voyanui:

Flickr 10.gif Twitter 10.gif Youtube