Rpg: Starscape

Xomeron

OOC: regarding the range-shooting discussion, what that boils down to is I think that we should use realistic ranges, while you think we should make something up. What bugs me is that this has been established as a hard science RPG, and I've been playing it very fast and loose. If you want, I can show you you real hard science fiction, like Heinelen wrote, and pull out the slide ruler and equations... As for sounding entitled, it's not so much that I feel entitled as I know what I'm talking about. And since I know how it works, I can manipulate it more adeptly.As for the stealthship, I have two comments. One, this is ridiculous. not the concept, not the upgrade, but simply that you nixed Kini's entire race because he wanted stealth ships, and what do you come out toting thirty pages later? Stealth ships! You nixed him for not using hard science and now you're suggesting the exact! Same! Thing! GAH! (As a side note, I decided to play Munchkin style because Kini wanted to play as a specialized race and you nixed him. So I decided to be good at quite a few things instead of just one. I'm also very good at finding loopholes in the rules, if you'll recall the free IP scheme I informed you about instead of exploiting at the beginning of this RPG). Freaking double standards...:w:

OOC: Alright, gimme half a tick to find a good Welsh word to describe this.Class Name: HurtrwyddClass Size: StarbaseClass Function And Description: Hurtrwydd-class Starbases are placed at the L2 Lagrange point defined by the inhabited planet and the sun it orbits. The Hurtrwydd is designed to be something of an ace-in-the-hole for defenders, owing to the stealth systems aboard the station. As soon as foreign vessels are detected, the station, which is hard to detect already (for all the reasons that apply to ships) can essentially disappear, allowing it to strike at the enemy while utilizing the element of surprise.Class Weapons: Dant-a-Grafanc (3), Llygad o Dân (1), Stealth system (1)When I start building this mad bugger, I'll make a profile for the stealth fighters that will fill the standard carrier bays.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

NOW YOU JUST LISTEN HERE LLOYD..First of all, Necro is part of the staff on this RPG, and don't you forget it. I want to see a little respect for him.Second, I nixed Kini's race because he wanted Stealthships at a time when no-one else had them, and wanted them on all his ships for free without providing a scientific explanation. He just waved his hand and said "cloaking device."Third, don't you go Heinlein on me. One of the files on my hard drive is labeled "Heinlein." Within, you will find 105 Rich Text Format files, a total of 22 megabytes worth. All of which I've read.Fourth, you might just be good at it, but get this: We're all nerds here. You're probably no better than myself, or Rover, or Necro, and I'd take TptI's part over yours because he constantly did this same sort of thing in IL. So curb that ego of yours.Fifth, I honestly haven't been paying much attention to you in this RPG, so far. That's going to change, after you've cluttered up two whole pages with arguments.Now, if you have anything more to say to me, take it to PM. I don't want to see another word on this in this topic.

Edited by King Of Shadows
That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

OOC: I'm done.I quit.I could go into a lengthy paragraph explaining how immature and unreasonable you've been Xom, but i honestly dont think its worth it. Just... to much. I was hoping you were going to do a good job at this Xomeron, but honestly, after everything ive seen....As for everyone else: Thanks for making it worth while. I can not even begin to say to humva and kothra how sorry i am for leaving the RPG, but i hope you guys can understand where im coming from. I'm not gonna stay in a RPG if I know something is wrong with it and its just going to happen over and over again.I joined this game to have fun, but when the GM dictates the RPG and only does stuff to there own convenience, i simply cant stand it. I tried to stay in it, i tried.Asides, i have barley any spare time as it is. At least now i'll have the time to play the games i spent 100 bucks on.Xomeron, your a good person, but I honestly dont think your cut out to be a GM. I apologize if that sounds harsh, but from what ive seen my opinion doesnt go without reason.Good day to you all, and i wish you all a merry Christmas when it comes around ^^--Akaku: Master of Flight

"I've brushed with death so often I should start giving him high-fives while I pass."

Recent Work: Return to Forum (2024)
Friend's works: Terrible Comics (2016) | The Guardians of Gevra Nui (2017) | Reborn (2016)
Older Work: The Legends of Taladi Nui (2017)

OOC: On the subject of range, I though lasers were already supposed to have a limit. Or was that just something suggested in the Planning Topic? Because if I'd known we could have infinite range lasers I would already have come up with a long-distance sniper-shipIC(Tenne): "If the Natsirt invade us a second time, there will be no bargaining. We have had time to build our strength and friends, we will force them to retreat or cripple themselves defeating us. And what exactly do you mean, 'develop something for us'? That makes it sound like a threat..."IC(2-28): With nothing left to discuss, the Alizarin trundled back inside their vessel and departed from the system, heading for home

7AOYGDJ.jpg

OOCAk?Leaving?...You will be remembered my friend, you will be remembered. Don't think otherwise for a second.And to be perfectly honest, I'm been considering leaving as well. Sure, I've been constantly talking to Xom and suggesting new ideas for this RPG, but I'm starting to realize what Necro realized. Defeating someone else requires you to be a ****, and I'm just not cut out for that. You have to crush someone else's idea of what's good; most of you guys are good sport and would take it well, but actually defeating one of you? I don't know.This RPG tried so very hard to not walk in the footsteps of the past; IL had one great war, then never had another. I truly hope that doesn't happen here, but at the same time, warmongering just does not work here. Look at what happened when I lit the match and tossed it in; the whole sector rushed to Power's aid. Alliances are formed in the blink of the eye, and once one power destroys another we end up with a cold war, none of the former friends willing to risk attacking another.Perhaps something equally important is the number game this has become; military tactics still happen, but now you have to carefully plot your economy and military, keeping them balanced ever so slightly unless you risk toppling them over. It's to keep order I understand but it makes life a lot harder.Point being, this RPG still has hope, which is why I'm not following Ak out the door. But I didn't come here to argue over schematics; ****, I didn't even come to win honestly. Winning is just a bonus for me; I came here to have fun and to role play an entire species. I did not come here to watch as players and game masters alike pitch fits; because honestly, what fun is there in that? At the end of the day they rarely end with anything worthwhile, and instead of getting anything productive out of it, we get bruised feelings and two pages of in fighting.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

OOC: Eh, personally, I enjoy the technical discussions. Mainly because I tend not to take the technical details personally, but also because I fully accept that this is basically the beta version of the RPG, and there are going to be kinks to work out.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Ak's leaving because he thinks Xom's a dictator, Alex isn't leaving but seriously considered it, and my sanity hit the door a while ago.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCJust to make sure it's clear, I'm not considering leaving because of Ak's reasons; while I think Xom could lighten up a little he hasn't crossed the line in my mind yet. I'm pondering leaving because 1)I hate number games and 2)I hate destroying other people's hopes and dreams.Also, the maps aren't going be updated with Ak's mysterious disappearance until he gets back to me on just how exactly his peeps die. Still going be updating them with the Sunday reports however.

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

OOC: Sanity? In MY COTRPG?And I haven't really had a gigantic hand in the administrative stuff until recently, just mainly providing Xom a different perspective from a more gameplay-oriented standpoint in Steam chats, and recently getting into all this with Lloyd, so I'm still a little confused, what exactly caused Ak to decide we're totalitarian fascists and leave?Also that reminds me, Alex, I need to get you an IR one of these days...

Edited by Necro
baltimore_ravens.png

OOC: Eh, the only part of the Diemawr that reflects my "hopes and dreams" is some of their technology - politically, they differ from me in a few key respects, because my original intent was to make a villain-race I could still respect. I failed in the first part of that.EDIT: So far as I can tell, the bit that triggered Ak's departure was Xom biting Lloyd's head off.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Honestly, I don't have any particular hopes or dreams - remember, I was originally planning to sit this one out. I'm just here to help Xom learn the ropes of running an RPG and get some fun out of. Part of why the bickering over small details gets on my nerves.As for Xom attacking Lloyd, I'd comment there, but I don't want to head down that flame war waiting to happen. I don't think he was that out-of-line though, when that much OOC-only fighting happens over something that isn't even relevant at the present point and time, it's the GM's job to quell the argument, one way or another.

baltimore_ravens.png

OOC@Rover I know why Ak left out of game; I'm waiting for him to tell me what excuse there will be for his specie's mysterious disappearance.Unless that was directed to Necro, in which case, ignore.

voidstars.png

OOC: 'Twas indeed directed at Necro. As for the in-game reason, my money's on a plague. They're really catchy.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCThat'll be awkward at the TAP meeting. Probably go something like;FIC:All Thernians in the room suddenly dropped dead, Tarshiar looking over them for a moment before raising an eyebrow. "That... was random."OOCLike I said, it'll be awkward.Oh, and you know what I just realized? This;Rover+Power+Xom+Necro+ToA+Veeci vrs Me+Koth+LloydThe Pact officially outnumbers us two to one. We're screwed.Power, hover over the dotted words; it pops up with a small tab of hidden text.

Edited by Cartographer Alex Humva

voidstars.png

OOCHere's Ak's response to me.

First off I'd like to apologize again for leaving, and im greatful that you dont see it as me 'ditching you' or anything. thank you, it means alot.Uhm, as for the reasons? let me think here...lets just say the Thernians left all there meetings along with all there ships and they headed home to attend to a 'emergancy'. upon returning to there homeworld, there species was testing out experimental weaponry that had to do with messing around with FTL drives, and next thing they knew, a large chunk of there homeworld, well, popped out of existance. this caused the entire planet to destabilize quickly and turn into a chaotic ball of lava and death, and the Thernian leaders were killed in the FTL burst that took said slice outta the planet. Chaos spread throught the systems, and thernian fought thernian over who was to blame. quickly all there ships were destroyed n' such, and the little bit of population that survived on planet surfaces were finally killed off by massive explosions caused by ships smashing into the atmoshpere, launching nukes at eachother, etc.yeah, lets go with that.Also, i want it to be clear on why exactly i left the RPG: I cant stand the way Xom is treating people, (for instance, us, when we change our minds, or for one of my best friends on the net; Kini, how he wont allow stealth tech for him, but only considers it when everyone wants it, or how he reacted when he found out your one friend was gonna join, or simply how poorly he's treated a person like lloyd who has alot more RPG expierience in nearly every way to him) and how restrictive he's being in a sandbox type game.Now, I dunno if i told you, but ive been and still am sick, and compared to yesterday, its gotten worse. im going back to bed; see ya around i hope.thanks again.feel free to copy & paste some/all of this into the RPG (even though i do know he's probably going to try to combat my reasons for him poorly treating the RPG; my points still stand though, no matter what excuses he comes up with ); im not up to doing it myself, sorry.

IC [Location: 1-10. Identity: Tarshiar]The incident, following the normal odd time rules space travel seemed to cause, was monitored by the civilian tourist craft in the systems, and quite quickly FTL bursts found their way to Citamgine, and rerouted to the TAP conference. Tarshiar slumped into his chair, stunned as news came in."An entire species... gone." The man seemed utterly defeated. "A whole world... destroyed. There are no words to express the destruction that has happened. This is a day that will be remembered for millennium to come."

voidstars.png

IC: Licht was silent, allowing the other races to mourn the loss of their close allies. He had no particular attachment to the Thernians, but clearly these races did. However, he could not help but find it suspicious that two races had simply vanished from the cosmos in such a short time. The investigation into the Sanshorans' disappearance was ongoing, but it may have been related to the events of the Thernians, and a similar happening might explain the vanishment of life signs from other portions of the galaxy as well, near the beginning of the Osalieli's expansion.:w:

IC:Certain details of Syrrinx Foreign policy were sent to the governments of the Diemawr, Alizarin, Natiru, and Tsui'Nau. While the explanation was complex, the gist was simple; the Legislature, Office of Xenology, and Admiralty board, after much deliberation, were calling for an all-out preemptive assault on the Natsirt and their allies.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

IC [General]Two Valiant class vessels were sent to 1-32, to begin a sweep of the Thernian empire and see what remained. They had orders to search for survivors, see the state of their worlds, and, as a black listed order only given to those in command, to search for the cause of this destruction and gather all data possible on it.OOCJust want to say, if my worlds fall and I die, I am going to sure as **** make sure you guys can't hurt Kothra for a long time. Going out in the blaze of glory to defend an ally is about as honorable as you can get.

voidstars.png

OOC: All his worlds of course need regular colonizing,

-Rover

OOCAlso, considering they just blew up their planet, I'm hereby giving 1-12 the Mark of Death. Xom, if you don't want it you're the boss and I'll remove it; the starsystem will given a bright red color that will be put on the color key as death.

voidstars.png

We could always assume there was also a colonizeable, Mars-like planet in the same system. Or a gas giant's moon, or something, but no. System is still habitable(if full of dust and echoes)

-Rover

IC: The Alizarin were uneasy at the Syrrinx suggestion. Their fleet was not ready for an assault, their defences not ready for repercussions...Not to mention they had no real desire to invade Natsirt territory (yet, anyway). They liked to stick with treaties they made. For now they would wait, see what the other races thought. And even if they did all agree on a pre-emptive strike, they would see if they could hold back. For defensive purposes, of courseOOC: Thats not a definite 'no'. But the Alizarin are not particularly inclined to invade right now. They'll need a lot of convincing if you want them in on this

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC: Construction of a Starbase complete over LiankaOOC: Half the stuff I intended to happen with the Syrrinx hasn't; Seela was meant to be their primary character, but it turned out to be Sienta. Lianka was meant to be the interesting world, and everything happens on Calinar.GMing is neat that way; nothing ever happens how I expect it to.

-Rover

IC [General]Military tacticians began furiously plotting out what would happen without the Thernian support, military CAIs predicting the most likely outcomes. With the Imperium's hesitance to involve themselves in the TAP and the Leben's silent watching of events, it was quickly predicted that without the third fleet to assist the chances of surviving an assault were... uncertain until further data could be obtained. The IIA was hard at work at that however, reviewing the possibility of using civilian vessels as craft to spy and scout out the next sector. Without any idea of the fleet that would attack the Natsirt had no idea what would happen.[Location: Citamgine. Identity: Referon]In high orbit of Citamgine, something was happening on the Valiant class vessel Unwavering Peace. The captain of it was rather mad at the moment, as Referon stood in front of her."Captain Tereef," the captain of the vessel said in slow anger. "I just went through paperwork **** when this ship was upgraded. And now the government wants my ENTIRE CREW TO LEAVE?""I have to apologize but the orders came directly from the Head Admiral; your crew is being evacuated as we speak. We need to run some scans, debug this ship, make sure you didn't pick anything up in your trips around space." Referon had a conflicting feeling; on one hand she had lived one life as a rather timid engineer, but another, false life, she had been a cold military officer, use to giving the hard orders. In this case the officer took over. "You can take it up with the Head Admiral; he's on Starbase One.""I will!" The captain stormed off, leaving Referon to breath a sigh of relief when the woman left. Then she felt a slight tingling in her head."Upload is complete," the voice of Unaware Light said, though only in her mind. "I have transferred important functions to the ship mainframe. I must say, the CAI onboard was rather rude; I was only compressing her for a moment, living on a ground based mainframe is extremely relaxing. Unlike this ship's mainframe; how any CAI could exist in this I don't know.""You've certainly evolved a personality since you left your mainframe." Referon raised an eyebrow as she began tapping commands onto the helm. "I think living on the internet is doing something to you.""I have over five times the storage space and processing power, assuming no one is doing extensive gaming when I'm active on their mainframe." The CAI sighed. "I have gained complete control over the ship. The firewalls in place are pathetic; you should be able to operate any manual isolated interfaces.""You do realize what we're doing could get us killed, right?""Correction; I have duplicated myself from my original copy to sufficiently compress myself onto this mainframe. I will still live; if you wish, I can use your implants to take a digital copy of your mind." The CAI's tone suggested something. "It's extremely relaxing living in a computer.""...I'll pass." Referon raised an eyebrow, then tapped a final command in. "All crew has been pulled out.""Assuming direct control." A deep voice said over the intercom."Was that really needed?""No, but it was fun.""Doesn't your personality take up crucial data space?""You are wearing your space suit, correct?""Yes...""Good, because I had to remove the life support algorithms to make room for my personality." The CAI gave a small chuckle, then the ship began moving forward. "Taking us out to jump range. We are receiving a request asking what the **** we're doing; any suggestions on what to tell them?""Nope. Let's just get out of here.""Of course." A quick thirty minutes passed as they went outside of the gravity well, finally activating the drive and warping to their target; 2-5. Appearing far outside of the orbit of the inhabited planet, a message was sent out."This is the Centralized Artificial Intelligence Unaware Light. We come in peace; do not shoot us out of the sky, because that would ruin the whole point of coming here. There is only one passenger besides myself; a Natsirt by the name of Referon, though she is currently called Captain Yorhanis Tereef. We have come to talk about the recent attempted and failed invasion of your worlds, and to try to keep a war that could destroy us both from breaking out. I am a neutral party in this, and Referon is a lowly engineer that until recently hasn't been involved in such things. As such, I ask you here our situation out; our weapons are offline and we are coming into a standard orbit."OOCBeen so long since I IC'd Unaware Light and Referon. They're like big characters and I haven't been using them.

voidstars.png

OOC: The Syrrinx are asking members of the Pact to launch an assault on the TAP

-Rover

Ooc: Farewell Akaku. From what I've seen you're a great Rper, it was certainly nice to meet you.And I apologize for my late reply, I've been identifying leaves all afternoon long...Since I already said the Leben were developing new ships...Class: Wetter'ballonType: Small (Stealth Craft)Function & Description: The Wetter'ballon are 80 meter stealth vessels that look like a hybrid of a horseshoe crab and a guitarfish. The ship has the capability to grab ahold of enemy ships with its six spindly legs and breach its hull provided it can get close enough.Armaments: Stealth Field, Claws, Acid Cannon (1)1-35 & 1-42 upgrade to Core Worlds. (Total +11)Construction begun on 4 Wetter'ballons (1-36) (Complete 12-1)1 Anfänge'Samen comes out of drydock, departs for 1-50. (Has anyone claimed that system? I can't recall.)(@Power) Ic (2-5): "No, no, no, no, no... I think you misunderstand me." Viisas frenetically corrected. "I'm proposing that, as a sign of good will, my people could develop a technological gift that would be tailored to your needs and biology. Um... I must admit though, I have no idea what kind of a thing you would have an interest in. As for the information. Shall we commence with the trade?"Ic (1-33): The two ships, after waiting a significant amount of time, departed towards 1-32, a world held by the Thernians.

Edited by Veeci

Imagine, a room, awash in gasoline. And there are two implacable enemies in that room. One of them has nine-thousand matches. The other has seven-thousand matches. Each of them is concerned about who's ahead, who's stronger. - Carl Sagan
Formerly Vorox Chief.

OOCThe Kalarii have claimed the system, yes.In fact, all the worlds next to your own have been claimed, by me or Koth. You can't colonize anyplace without asking the TAP permission.That, or take it anyways and risk full out war.

voidstars.png

OOC: Reason #498 to hate the TAP: unilateral decisions on carving up space. Reminds me of the European colonization of Africa.IC(Lord President): The Lord President looked over the Syrrinx invasion proposal. It was, he thought, poorly-planned - the Syrrinx might, for all he knew, have enough of a fleet to hold up their end in this kind of mad venture, but the Diemawr certainly didn't - two medium vessels and four small ones were hardly enough for an invasion fleet.Still, a strategic strike could prove critical in the coming war - weaken the enemy by damaging their infrastructure, take out as much of their fleet as you can, and then, when an effective defensive effort appears to be in the making, leave the area.On the Syrrinx star-map, the Diemawr systems started flashing a bright green once a second - 2-28 had been added to the collection, and was flashing with the rest. If the Syrrinx chose to examine the diagram more closely, they would find a message built into the description of the Diemawr.[unwilling to participate in committed invasion. If other pact signatories approve assault to weaken and destabilize enemy, we will follow you up that branch.]---Meanwhile, with the other delegates departing Goron-Trysor, the coloniser descended to set about the task of beginning a settlement on the planet.OOC: Goron-Trysor in 2-28 colonised by the Diemawr - set as a colony with the -2 modifier.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOCIt actually wasn't decided upon by the TAP; the Natsirt and Kalarii independently claimed those worlds. Still a ****ish move but is it one willing to risk war over countermanding?Also, current fleet strengths:28s11m2l for the TAP -counting Lloyd in-, vrs 20s16m3l, not including Veeci into the Pact.That makes it 28>20, 11<16, and 2<3. My starbases counter that... I think... ****... The numbers are not adding up well.

voidstars.png

OOC: Bah, numbers aren't anything. Play your cards right and a numerically inferior force can decimate a much larger one, or at least humiliate it.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

OOC: Go on Veeci, take a Kalarii planet anyway. Then report any aggression to those helpful jellyfish people you know.But if you could wait until, ooh, December 3rd, that would be greatIC(2-5): "We are beaming co-ordinates to you," was the Alizarin reply, "You will land there. This is not a request. If you wish to explain yourself you will do it while your ship is landed and we can be sure you will not open fire."IC(Tenne): The Alizarin envoy shook a tentacle at one of the semi-official guards accompanying it and the Leben. It brought out of of the Alizarin disc-readers, the technology they used to read their fibre optic coils. Ever since they had encountered other races they had begun modifying them to read other technologies, though whether it would work with the as-yet unknown Leben technology remained to be seen."What sort of gift did you offer other races you encountered?" the envoy asked, "Otherwise it is hard to see what you might offer us."

7AOYGDJ.jpg

IC [Location: 2-5. Identity: Unaware Light]"Understood." The ship began to reverse it's thrusters, slowing down for a descent into the atmosphere. The CAI was careful to avoid the storms, having enough mainframe power to actually plot and predict their movements for the short term, allowing him to guide the ship easily away from the bigger pockets."Have I mentioned this could get us killed?""Digital copy of your mind?""No." Referon sighed heavily, before tapping the console. "I'm setting the self destruct.""Wise precaution; if things go south we can't let them get the hands on Natsirt technology." The CAI seemed slightly depressed at the thought of dying. "How long?""One day; if we can't conclude a meeting in that time, well, it's probably not going be done ever."OOCI love time in this RPG; a TAP conference that couldn't of been more than a day happens while whole colonies rise up as mighty forge worlds. Time is obviously not a constant here, and I'm fine with it being that way. Thus, to clarify, the self destruct is set relative to the meeting; not relative to other game time or real time.IC [Location: 1-32. Identity: Captain Dracip]The ships had been scouting the area around the jump point when the Leben ships appeared, some three million kilometers away from their position. The crew instantly went to yellow alert while the captain opened an FTL channel; three or four seconds of lag time was terrible for comms."Leben ships," the message said. "You have entered space controlled by the Trilateral Alliance of Planets. Please state your business here immediately or risk being fired upon."

voidstars.png

IC(2-5): The Natsirt were shown to one of the increasingly common Alizarin drydocks, the bulb-like buildings that could open up like flowers to release submerged ships. Or take on airborne ships. The Wavering Peace was allowed to land within, and the dock began to dive under the water again."You may disembark," an Alizarin 'voice' said over the speaker system, "What is is that you wish to discuss?"

7AOYGDJ.jpg