Cot Short Stories Contest #2: The Christmas Connection

Velox

What about Bionicle Naming Day? Isn't that the equivalent of Christmas? :biggrin: I just don't write much other than Bionicle, and that might be easier to write about.

Nope. Gotta be a real-life holiday. You can still use Bionicle, but with a real holiday. Read the bottom of my post for a clarification.

2 Questions.A: Does this contest also have a one entry per-person rule? I have two entries I'm sort of torn between. :PB: When you say Apocalyptic, post-apocalyptic is acceptable yes?

A: Yeah, just one entry per person.B: Yes.

Can we create our story based on other work that we have done?

Sure. Just don't make it an edited version of an old story.

Can the story be based on a video game as long as it's original?

Yes, fanfics are allowed -- this includes video games, books, movies, etc.

This is an awesome idea... restricting genres makes it especially enticing.Your comment about fanfics implies that Bionicle fanfics are allowed. Is that correct?Also, there are a couple of holidays that don't occur at the same time every year, because they are built on non-Gregorian calendars (examples: Chinese New Year, Eid, etc.). So, sometimes they happen around the holiday season, other times they don't. Are those allowed?

1. Yes, they are allowed. 2. Probably not. I will only allow them if they are a certain religion's equivalent to Christmas (e.g., Hanukkah is the Jewish equivalent). See below:CLARIFICATION: Your story may be religious or non-religious. However, the main theme of this contest is to write a story about the “Christmas spirit,” if you will – if it’s not religious, it should focus on the elements of the secular holiday (i.e., “holiday cheer,” presents, etc.). If religious themed, you may use Christmas or another religion’s equivalent (e.g., Hanukkah [Jewish], Saturnalia [ancient Rome], etc.). In other words, it's not so much "write a story about Christmas day" as it is "write a story about the Christmas season." If you need any further clarification, please ask -- I don't mind asking any question you should have. newso1.png Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

That simplifies things a bit for me, and makes it quite a bit easier for me to plan out my story.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I might get to writing this once I'm on break.A note: Hanukkah is partially about how the Jews resisted being assimilated into another culture and kept their cultural identity: I find it hilarious to no end that it's now the most accepted and assimilated of our holidays.

That being said, thag thag thaggity thag thagness.

-Rover

"A memo was sent to Astaria asking if it would at all be possible to make a flying goat."

"The Astarians responded that making a goat fly would be trivial; making it land safely would be another matter entirely."

Man I had a story that I wrote last year but never got to post it any where, but it's not Si-Fi and I think is closed to PG than PG-13...

PG is below PG-13, so PG level stories are acceptable. PG-13 is a maximum.- 55555
I don't know my story has a double homicide and the "f bomb" gets dropped a few time, and there's a hooker...

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

Man I had a story that I wrote last year but never got to post it any where, but it's not Si-Fi and I think is closed to PG than PG-13...

PG is below PG-13, so PG level stories are acceptable. PG-13 is a maximum.- 55555
I don't know my story has a double homicide and the "f bomb" gets dropped a few time, and there's a hooker...
That's not really what I would call PG...

7AOYGDJ.jpg

Look at movies. If it features the f-word, most likely it'll get an R rating, (the exception, of course, is like 50 years ago when PG was a high rating -- that's not the case any more). Also, keep in mind that it needs to follow BZP's rules. The f-word definitely does not follow those rules (not to mention it'd be filtered, but it shouldn't be said anyway). If you want to use that story, you'll have to remove all the language, and the hooker. Keep it BZP-appropriate,newso1.png Edited by Velox

So the answer on "multiple genres" in the first post is vague. Can I have it pertain to every single one of those themes? Because a post-apocalyptic fantasy-sci-fi-steampunk mystery would be pretty sweet.

That's not really what I would call PG...
It would get a "R" rating just for the f bombs. Unless they're completely censored, in which case, the hooker would then likely ramp it up there. If anything obscene is done "onscreen." So yeah, I'd say tone it down a big notch, bro. ...Like Velox said right before I posted this...

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

*insert placeholder signature here*

So the answer on "multiple genres" in the first post is vague. Can I have it pertain to every single one of those themes? Because a post-apocalyptic fantasy-sci-fi-steampunk mystery would be pretty sweet.

Yes, you can do that. You just might have to pick one that your story would be filed under, depending on how many entries we get and if we divide up the entries by category. newso1.png

would get a "R" rating just for the f bombs.

Wrong actually, I've seen films get away with an F-bomb for a PG rating, using both the standard American and Canadian rating systems. Certainly PG-13 and 14A films feature more than enough of such language. It all depends on how frequently the words are used, but it takes a lot to get a film to R just for language. Nevertheless, I agree the whole thing sounds a little mature for BZpower. This is Christmas! Make it festive! :P
exo-toa_battle.jpg

Wrong actually, I've seen films get away with an F-bomb for a PG rating, using both the standard American and Canadian rating systems. Certainly PG-13 and 14A films feature more than enough of such language. It all depends on how frequently the words are used, but it takes a lot to get a film to R just for language. Nevertheless, I agree the whole thing sounds a little mature for BZpower. This is Christmas! Make it festive! :P

More specifically, the closest standard the MPAA has for profanity (they tend to be fairly vague in their standards, mostly as excuse to just do whatever they want), is a film can keep a PG-13 rating with anywhere from one to four F-bombs used strictly in an expletive, non-sexual manner. This, of course, makes complete sense and is not a completely arbitrary restriction with no basis in logic used by actual humans. The guidelines on profanity tend to vary from case to case however, as per the aforementioned "do whatever we want" approach. Of course, the word doesn't get through the filters regardless of context, so it's a bit of a moot point either way. :rolleyes:And on that note, I'd better get to work figuring out just what my entry's actually gonna be...[For Science!] Edited by Chronicler of Ko-Koro

No one in the world ever gets what they want,

and that is beautiful.

Everybody dies frustrated and sad,

and that is beautiful.

...Well, I sure haven't heard it used more than maybe once in a PG-13 movie. But as that's off subject of this... Yeah. Mine will be interesting, for sure.So, can I have an alternate universe's version of Christmas, or does it have to be the holiday itself?

This is a signature that describes me as a person. Lazy, dry, and overall just a procra...

Look at movies. If it features the f-word, most likely it'll get an R rating, (the exception, of course, is like 50 years ago when PG was a high rating -- that's not the case any more). Also, keep in mind that it needs to follow BZP's rules. The f-word definitely does not follow those rules (not to mention it'd be filtered, but it shouldn't be said anyway). If you want to use that story, you'll have to remove all the language, and the hooker. Keep it BZP-appropriate, newso1.png

The story is about a girl that gets kicked out on Christmas eve and goes through some hard ships but makes it back home the next Christmas day. As far as changing my story to accommodate the BZP rules, that is not going to happen. I don't mind bleeping the foul language when appropriate but the hooker is key to the story, she can't simply be written out.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

Look at movies. If it features the f-word, most likely it'll get an R rating, (the exception, of course, is like 50 years ago when PG was a high rating -- that's not the case any more). Also, keep in mind that it needs to follow BZP's rules. The f-word definitely does not follow those rules (not to mention it'd be filtered, but it shouldn't be said anyway). If you want to use that story, you'll have to remove all the language, and the hooker. Keep it BZP-appropriate, newso1.png

The story is about a girl that gets kicked out on Christmas eve and goes through some hard ships but makes it back home the next Christmas day. As far as changing my story to accommodate the BZP rules, that is not going to happen. I don't mind bleeping the foul language when appropriate but the hooker is key to the story, she can't simply be written out.
In that case, if you're set on entering it, send it by PM to Velox first and see if he thinks it would be fine.

Can I kill people? I mean, according the lovely logic of the MPAA I can kill loads of people but if I swear five time it's R.Just kidding. I don't plan on killing anyone.I was going to work on some Bionicle fanfic, but the idea of steampunk Chanukah is too awesome to pass up.EDIT: Chanukah isn't the Jewish equivalent of Christmas. It is actually a fairly unimportant holiday that suddenly became relevant because it fell around the same time as Christmas and American companies needed to find a way to get more people to buy things. Edited by Yukiko

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

lcHgr.gif dmHto.gif GMbsT.gif vobLI.gif 0o6ku.gif JJNox.gif BCQuL.gif FXyU6.gif Y5AOI.gif hH7LQ.gif

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

Chanukah isn't the Jewish equivalent of Christmas. It is actually a fairly unimportant holiday that suddenly became relevant because it fell around the same time as Christmas and American companies needed to find a way to get more people to buy things.

Secularly, though, they're practically identical, as far as present-giving goes and whatnot. The origins are, of course, different, but isn't the focus of this contest supposed to be a little more secular, considering the sensitivity of religion (as mentioned by Velox)?Really, half of the discussion in this topic has boiled down to moot points anyway.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Yeah, guys, stop discussing unimportant things. Yes, some profanity is allowed in PG-13 movies. That does not mean you can use it here. Yes, some sexual content is allowed in PG-13 movies. No, sexual content is not allowed here. The PG-13 thing is a general guideline. If it wouldn't be allowed in a PG-13 movie, then you probably can't use it. But just because it is allowed in a PG-13 movie, doesn't mean you can use it here. Be smart, follow BZP's rules -- that's the site we're on. Please stop trying to make points that aren't important and stop discussing unnecessary things. @ Yukiko ~ It all depends on the gruesomeness of the act. Most profanity is considered offensive, and therefore not appropriate for children. Death is allowed as long as it is not too gruesome. Again, just keep it in accordance to BZP's rules. Chanukah is fine as your holiday if you'd like. If I missed anyone else's question, it's probably because it was in the middle of all the useless bickering. Please re-post it and I'll answer it as soon as I can.And just to clarify: I'm not saying you guys can't discuss anything. Discussing the contest or your story ideas et cetera is fine and encouraged; bickering over things like some bad things are allowed in lower-rated movies isn't, as it's off-topic and not helpful.Also, f you want to know if something is alright, you can PM myself or 55555. I am completely fine with you sending me part of your story or your story idea and asking if it's okay, I just don't want arguing over if it would be okay here. newso1.png

Edited by Velox

I understand your reasoning, but I think that is also a reason to include holidays like Chinese New Year. There are parades, lights, gift-giving, getting together with family, and receiving blessings, so I don't see why not.

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

lcHgr.gif dmHto.gif GMbsT.gif vobLI.gif 0o6ku.gif JJNox.gif BCQuL.gif FXyU6.gif Y5AOI.gif hH7LQ.gif

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

I understand your reasoning, but I think that is also a reason to include holidays like Chinese New Year. There are parades, lights, gift-giving, getting together with family, and receiving blessings, so I don't see why not.

Talked it over with Velox, the Chinese New Year is now allowed.Good luck on your entry.- 55555

My question was seemingly missed: Can it be a completely different universe's version of Christmas? Say that I create a world, and create a holiday corresponding to Christmas. I assume that would be okay.

Can it involve Bionicle and BZPower, as long as it is not truly a Bionicle story? Like, people and a nonhuman character interacting with BZPower and referencing Bionicle at times?

Yes. It can also be a truly Bionicle story, if you'd like -- as stated in the FAQ, fanfics are allowed, which includes Bionicle.

My question was seemingly missed: Can it be a completely different universe's version of Christmas? Say that I create a world, and create a holiday corresponding to Christmas. I assume that would be okay.

Yes, but that "Christmas" must be..."Christmas-y" if you get what I mean.newso1.png

Oh it will be. It's just that it'd be a day of annual celebration and cheer and the like due to an extremely important coronation in the past or the date that a great battle was won.

would a 4-5 page story be "reasonable"?

Assuming about six hundred words per page, that's 24-30 hundred words. Honestly not much at all; three thousand word stories are about the norm for short stories.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

:kaukau: I find this interesting, considering within my own writing almost every book has a major event happen around Christmas. And it's sci-fi with an unconventional twist on it all. So this is completely down my alley.Only I don't know if I have the time. Grrr.- I'm Tron Paul and I approve this post.

So this goes in the COT forum? I might write something, I have a great Pre-Apocalypse/Mystery idea, but I'm just about out of time. Curse mountains of homework!

If it isn't Lego-related, yes. If it is Lego-related, it should go in Short Stories.